Jaguar

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CarlosFerreira

Jaguar

Post by CarlosFerreira »

... or, as Clarkson would put it, Jaaaaag. I pretty much missed their short career in the 2000's - me and F1 went strange on each other for a few years - and so I don't really know what happened. They bought Stewart and, next thing you know, they were selling to Red Bull, red faced and at a loss. Last week's Autosport called them "the most pathetic works team to enter F1, despite having the personnel to do much better". So my question is:

- What happened?

How can something with HSBC sponsorship, Webber on board and looking this good have failed so miserably?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
coops

Re: Jaguar

Post by coops »

It was a business model taken to a new level by the recently departed Toyota team.

A stupid amount of money.
A revolving door for the team principals (although they also went down the 'employ ex-drivers' route. Mr Rahal and Mr Lauda take a bow)
Sometimes driver choice was questionable.
A stupid amount of money #2 - during 2000 the highest paid employee of the Ford Company was Jac Nasser its CEO. The second highest paid was driver Eddie Irvine. So the legend goes the board in Detroit thought it was a scam as they'd never heard of the guy.

Ironically when the team shut down things had begun to look good. Webber was proving to be the sort of driver they needed; experienced but not complacent. The car that Tony Purnell designed was pretty handy (as was the first Red Bull car which was also his). Overall they looked like a team to watch. Trouble is it'd taken so long to achieve Ford got fed up and binned them.

It was a fine looking car though wasnt it.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

The thing that annoyed me about it was that the previous season (the last as Stewart) the team had shown some real form.

Ford money & inept long distance management ruined an (almost) privateer team.

Can't see Merc making the same mistake.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

I dont think changing team principles every second race helped. But Ford pulled out for the same reasons that Honda and Toyota did in that it was costing them too much and they didnt have the money. As it turned out, they weren't lying. Ford (and GM for that matter) had been making losses years before the credit crunch.

I cant see Merc doing the same as they seemed to have bought the team just to change its name to Mercedes. They know Ross Brawn knows better, so they are not going to meddle with it (at least, it seems like that)
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You know, even the best laid plans can go awry at times. Maybe the cars weren't designed properly, maybe the engine was underpowered, maybe some of the drivers underperformed or directly were not competitive enough, or maybe in-house squabblings played its part. Maybe it was a bit of everything.
Popi_Larrauri

Post by Popi_Larrauri »

... But to say they were the most pathetich works team ever, maybe, it's too much...
Winners have lots of friends, losers have good friends.
fondmetal-fond

Post by fondmetal-fond »

Phoenix wrote:maybe some of the drivers underperformed or directly were not competitive enough

:lol: I think I know who you mean (Irv "cough" ine)...
To be fair, however, he got them their only podiums (in 2001 and 2002, as the car became better). However he certainly did underperform given his salary and his "awesome" statements to the effect of: Schumacher (Michael) is the only one better than the me. In order to beat him, I need something better than the 2000 - 2001 Ferrari. The R2 is that car. I'll be able to take him since I am better at pitstops, and on par with him in terms of strategy...

You should check out this interview (sorry I can't give you the name of the magazine) and the interviewer's reaction, especially as he starts about his "intelligence" compared to the other drivers on the field :lol:
coops

Post by coops »

fondmetal-fond wrote:
Phoenix wrote:maybe some of the drivers underperformed or directly were not competitive enough

It probably didnt help the situation that Irvine and Johnny Herbert had a bit of a difficult relationship which all went wrong went Eddie punted Johnnys Lotus off at Monza back in '94. The only available Mugen Honda engine had gone to Herberts car and he'd managed to get it up to a season highpoint of P4. It wasnt just another crash it was what possibly helped finish Lotus off.
-Enzo Ferrari
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Like BAR before them, they cursed themselves by announcing, "We can win our first race."

And the whole culture of imagining themselves as the British equivalent of Ferrari, publishing glossy magazines, all before the first race... too much too soon. Prove yourself, then start acting like a big fish.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

But as Stewart they already won a race. :-S or was it a total overhaul?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
coops

Post by coops »

fjackdaw wrote:Like BAR before them, they cursed themselves by announcing, "We can win our first race."

And the whole culture of imagining themselves as the British equivalent of Ferrari, .

Aaah I remember all that nonsense. They owned Silverstone 2000, bloody Jag Flags everywhere. I even bought one which is up in the loft.
-Enzo Ferrari
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

fondmetal-fond wrote:

To be fair, however, he got them their only podiums (in 2001 and 2002, as the car became better). However he certainly did underperform given his salary and his "awesome" statements to the effect of: Schumacher (Michael) is the only one better than the me. In order to beat him, I need something better than the 2000 - 2001 Ferrari. The R2 is that car. I'll be able to take him since I am better at pitstops, and on par with him in terms of strategy...

You should check out this interview (sorry I can't give you the name of the magazine) and the interviewer's reaction, especially as he starts about his "intelligence" compared to the other drivers on the field :lol:

Not only him...Luciano Burti, Christian Klien, Antonio Pizzonia, Justin Wilson.
And to say the Jaguar R2 was better than the Ferrari F2001 certainly sounds like "Well, I'll try to fool the press a bit and scant myself"
coops

Post by coops »

Phoenix wrote:Not only him...Justin Wilson.

And that was a shame too. Hadnt Wilson beaten Webber to the F3000 title previously?
-Enzo Ferrari
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

I seem to remember mid season in '02 or '03 the team announced that they had "signed" Adrian Newey but some days later the move was blocked by Mclaren......
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WeirdKerr wrote:I seem to remember mid season in '02 or '03 the team announced that they had "signed" Adrian Newey but some days later the move was blocked by Mclaren......

That was while Bobby Rahal was in charge, I seem to remember, and almost succeeded because Rahal and Newey had some kind of previous working relationship that went well and wanted to recreate...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

That was 2001 between the Monaco and Canadian GP's, I still have the F1 Racing mag from that month where there's several pages and a timeline of how he was wooed by his friend Rahal (who he'd engineered in CART) and signed for Jaguar to be technical head honcho, before Ron convinced him to stay at McLaren.
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

I remember the Adrian Newey issue in 2001. I watched the 2001 f1 review not long ago. I remember Ron saying in a cocky way 'he changed his mind'. Rahul said its a load of crap. If Jaguar got Newey for 2002 do u think that irvine and webber would had achive alot more?

Ford should of done a Renault. Not alot of money but a good working team and look what they did in 2005-06.
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
fondmetal-fond

Post by fondmetal-fond »

Phoenix wrote:Not only him...Luciano Burti, Christian Klien, Antonio Pizzonia, Justin Wilson

Klein and Pizzonia were some kind of awesome... Pizzonia, I believe, crashed a Jag S-type sedan that he was giving a journalist a ride in around the test track. He tried to drive it like a Formula one car - maybe it was better than their formula 1 car?

Klein tops him, though: I think he lost a diamond that the team had embedded in the nosecone. ( Fact check: Is this true or just a rumor?) Also, using diamond as ballast in an F1 car is a very "Bond villain" manoeuvre.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

fondmetal-fond wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Not only him...Luciano Burti, Christian Klien, Antonio Pizzonia, Justin Wilson

Klein and Pizzonia were some kind of awesome... Pizzonia, I believe, crashed a Jag S-type sedan that he was giving a journalist a ride in around the test track. He tried to drive it like a Formula one car - maybe it was better than their formula 1 car?

Klein tops him, though: I think he lost a diamond that the team had embedded in the nosecone. ( Fact check: Is this true or just a rumor?) Also, using diamond as ballast in an F1 car is a very "Bond villain" manoeuvre.

Both Klien and Pizzonia never achieved a lot in F1-they didn't seem like doing so though.
And yes, the latter crashed an S-Type accidentaly because he thought he was still driving the F1 car. I don't remember the circuit though.
And how did the team end embedding a diamond in a nosecone? Where did Klien lost the diamond?
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Barcalona turn 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8uZGDAdQE

the diamond was when the jag team were promoting oceans12(?) at Monaco
mario

Post by mario »

TeamTipper wrote:I remember the Adrian Newey issue in 2001. I watched the 2001 f1 review not long ago. I remember Ron saying in a cocky way 'he changed his mind'. Rahul said its a load of crap. If Jaguar got Newey for 2002 do u think that irvine and webber would had achive alot more?

Ford should of done a Renault. Not alot of money but a good working team and look what they did in 2005-06.

We can never know for certain how much better Jaguar would have done if Newey had gone across (although they should have realised from the start that Ron would probably have prefered to sell his left leg instead of Newey). Having a top class designer would have done them quite a bit of good - however, the management of the team could have stifled his creativity.
That said, some of the cars did have a few fundamental problems which did hold them back. The R3, for example, was botched from the start when the team miscalibrated their wind tunnel (although, as Renault F1 and Honda showed in 2007, it's not an uncommon problem). To make matters worse, when they produced a lightweight version of the chassis, it turned out that it was flexing due to torsional loading from the engine - so, not an easy car to drive by any means.

All in all though, the Jaguar F1 team doesn't have the worst record in F1 - but it does seem that poor management of the team and the driver choice, coupled to poor reliability and an underdeveloped aerodynamic package all mounted up.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Well, here's what I wrote at the time (2000 review not available) ...

http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/2001/review/teams/index.html#jaguar
http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/2002/review/teams/index.html#jaguar
http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/2003/review/teams/index.html#jaguar
http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/2004/review/teams/index.html#jaguar

Perhaps the best way to sum it up is this ... when you have the fourth or fifth-best in every department (funding, drivers, engineers, management, design), you're not going to be a world-beater, are you? And I agree, the initial hype set them up for a fall. From the whole British thing (with Irvine and Herbert as the 2000 drivers), through the likes of Burti and de la Rosa and Pizzonia, finishing up with an Aussie (gasp!) and an Austrian behind the wheel, Jaguar quickly just turned into Another Midfield Team. That wasn't going to do anything for Ford, and Ford wasn't going to do anything for them.
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

TeamTipper wrote:Ford should of done a Renault. Not alot of money but a good working team and look what they did in 2005-06.

Those titles were 80% Alonso, 20% Renault
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I think the problem was one of the usual works affairs: they expected too much too soon and grossly under-estimated the high-intensity environment of the sport. They thought they could succeed from the beginning, when they should have realised the road they were on was a very difficult one.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
TeamTipper

Post by TeamTipper »

Nosiebox.
With Respect Alonso is good but look what happened at Mclaren with him....
Back to Jaguar.
Also the problem was that the car compared to the Stewart was to racidal. Ferrari Kept it simple didnt have a extreme front noise. The Ford engine was to big and powerful also of curse was the choice of mangement and finally the lack of motivation from Ford they just didn't set reasonable targets like we can win our first race??? It takes time and not always money. I dont blame the drivers.
Mechanical Engineering Student
Bias view of F1
Forti F1 Fan
TeamTipper for 2011 entry lol
HWSNBM as my No.1 driver
Formula One Rejects as my main sponsor
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

fondmetal-fond wrote: Klein and Pizzonia were some kind of awesome... Pizzonia, I believe, crashed a Jag S-type sedan that he was giving a journalist a ride in around the test track. He tried to drive it like a Formula one car - maybe it was better than their formula 1 car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8uZGDAdQE - YouTube footage, at Silverstone I believe.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

Thats impressive. The guy deserves a drive at USF1 just for that.
-Enzo Ferrari
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

The best thing about Jaguar was when they fired Tomas Scheckter (who was their test driver I think) when they caught him bargaining with a hooker :shock:

I'm not sure but I recall it was him
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

LucaPacchiarini wrote:The best thing about Jaguar was when they fired Tomas Scheckter (who was their test driver I think) when they caught him bargaining with a hooker :shock:

I'm not sure but I recall it was him

Rings a bell. I sometimes got confused between him and Tomas Enge, but always then remember that it was Enge who lost the F3000 championship because of a failed drugs test.
MCard LOLA
coops

Post by coops »

LucaPacchiarini wrote:The best thing about Jaguar was when they fired Tomas Scheckter when they caught him bargaining with a hooker :shock:

You're spot on. I remember that because I remember thinking if a racing driver cant get laid without going to a prossy what chance have the rest of us got. :lol:
-Enzo Ferrari
Gilles27

Post by Gilles27 »

I always thought the Jags looked great. I remember the podium celebrations at Monza in 2002, when Irvine came 3rd behind both Ferraris. It wasn't a Ferrari 1-2 it was a 1-2-3! I remember seeing Irvine's parents that night in the campsite and they were soooo pleased! We took it in turns to have our picture taken with the trophy. :)
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
Gilles27

Post by Gilles27 »

coops wrote:
LucaPacchiarini wrote:The best thing about Jaguar was when they fired Tomas Scheckter when they caught him bargaining with a hooker :shock:

You're spot on. I remember that because I remember thinking if a racing driver cant get laid without going to a prossy what chance have the rest of us got. :lol:

Especially when you have Irvine in your team to help you pull!
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I was given Jackie Stewart's autobiography for Christmas and in it he talks (obviously) about the Stewart team and the Ford takeover. He mentions that the Ford management were spending a lot of time in the Stewart garage observing during the last half of the Stewart season and were apparently spending a lot of time tutting and criticising how the team was being run and how they were apparently wasting a lot of time and effort on things.

Now I do appreciate that some of this may be JYS blowing his own trumpet but you have to say the results do speak for themselves. A privateer start up team (I think the fact it was a start up operation and not a buy out is an important one) starts out with good pace but reliability issues, gradually fix the issues, score points, podiums and eventually a win. Privateer team gets bought out by large manufacturer, team has reliability issues, poor pace and a revolving door in the management office and then gets sold when the manufacturer gets bored...and realises how much cash they've lost in other ventures as well as F1.

The sad bookend to the Jaguar tale were Mark Webber and (was it Klein still?) taking each other out in Brazil at what was the teams last Grand Prix.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Thank you everyone, learning a great deal. I do remember hearing the episode where Irvine was the second best-paid Ford employee and people in Detroit got suspicious... :roll: I just wonder how the hell didn't Toyota learn from it?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Ford had backed Stewart and supplied them with works engines since they started, why they decided to run the team is bizarre. They could have simply insisted on the green livery, increased sponsorship but let the team run like before. If Jackie had so many doubts about Ford, he didn't let on. My DVD of the 1999 Nurburgring race they do an interview with him where he seemed really upbeat about Jaguar and insisted that he and his son owuld still run the team.
coops

Post by coops »

I think its all started when a Ford engine (in the back of MSCs Benetton) won the 1994 championships. They didnt get much recognition and started believing they should and could win again under their own marque. The Jaguar brand was chosen for marketing reasons I reckon but essentially Ford believed they could win again.
-Enzo Ferrari
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

coops wrote:I think its all started when a Ford engine (in the back of MSCs Benetton) won the 1994 championships. They didnt get much recognition and started believing they should and could win again under their own marque. The Jaguar brand was chosen for marketing reasons I reckon but essentially Ford believed they could win again.

That was mostly their own fault anyway. Renault did a much better job of marketing their F1 success back then - maybe because they used the Williams-Renault branding outside of F1, for example the Williams Renault Clio and Renault Espace F1 car (about 2000 of the former were produced in its 3 evolutions - the latter was a prototype with the F1 V10 engine in the middle) to show off their success.
And it all comes back to the whole European thing...Renault, the French company, seems to have known what they were doing from the start (albeit they found it hard to start with in the early 80s...) compared to Ford, the American giant, who can only do something right when they pay the Europeans to do it for them (Cosworth DFV, Stewart GP, etc).
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

kostas22 wrote:And it all comes back to the whole European thing...Renault, the French company, seems to have known what they were doing from the start (albeit they found it hard to start with in the early 80s...) compared to Ford, the American giant, who can only do something right when they pay the Europeans to do it for them (Cosworth DFV, Stewart GP, etc).

Dont forget the GT-40... :P

Really, the whole issue was the start of manufacture involvement in F1. I also dont think its just coincidence that the bigger the manufacture budget, the bigger the failure. Take Renault, BMW, Toyota and Honda. Renault had the smallest budget yet won 2 titles. BMW were 2nd smallest, and although they only got one victory, they were regular podium and eventually title contenders, and were generally realistic about their aims (the only exception to this whole thing was their 2009 car). Then you have Toyota and Honda who only managed one (lucky) win between them.Toyota were always in the midfield, and Honda got worse as time went! (the fact that Super Aguri, the unofficial B team almost scored more points one season says it all). I would expect the budgets for Toyota to be big to begin with, as they were starting from scratch (unlike the other manufacturers who bought into other teams) but they quickly went stale, thanks to the fact they changed technical teams every 1/2 season. As for Honda, they were too busy pissing their budget away on that green earth livery...

Morale of the story? Leave the Formula 1 to those who know, live and work Formula 1. If you really want to be involved, by all means buy out a team, but dont try and meddle with it. As I have stated before, Mercedes seem to be doing this by just paying Ross Brawn to change the teams name, but leaving him to run it. (Although time will tell if this is true or not...) Also, more money means more ways to throw it away , thanks to less accountability (Was it Flav who mentioned something about teams spending $100million on a shopping trolley if they had a chance? Something like that?)
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

They were Onyx, just with higher expectations.

Looking promising before an investment, a name change and a sharp drop in performance due to haphazard team management.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

coops wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Not only him...Justin Wilson.

And that was a shame too. Hadnt Wilson beaten Webber to the F3000 title previously?

I think the problem was that Eddie Irvine had advised Wilson just to take it easy during his handful of races - don't do anything spectacular, just bring the car home. Wilson did that, got nowhere, and was dropped. He even complained afterwards that he could have done much better. Moral - don't listen to that idiot Irvine.