2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Dawn?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Re: 2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Dawn?

Post by go_Rubens »

andrew2209 wrote:
FMecha wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4y5xepX9Q

MiniDrivers on Magneti Marelli's claim that no-one will finish Australia GP this year :lol:

I know they say F1 will be more unreliable this year, but that's a bit extreme.

Half the field out sounds like a reasonable prospect. Although if we do get a demolition derby like 2008, then we may have more retirements. But I'm not counting on it.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Turns out it wasn't quite a West livery after all...it does appear to be a one-off, though.

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Belegur

Post by Belegur »

It's monochromatic, but that livery works very well. Simple and elegant. Pity it apparently isn't the actual one.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dang....Shame it's a one-off, really, because it looks absolutely fantastic :D :D

I knew it was going to be Mobil1 though... :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

FIA press conference in Melbourne. @MassaFelipe19 just said "You know" 21 times in 3 minutes #AustralianGP

That's around 8 seconds per occasion. :shock:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Aerospeed wrote:Dang....Shame it's a one-off, really, because it looks absolutely fantastic :D :D

I knew it was going to be Mobil1 though... :P

i like how theyre trying to act as if its part of them honouring Mobil 1 etc etc in there press release.
I wonder what they will be honouring next week.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Id like Button to get a decent result, a win or a podium. For his Dad.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:Id like Button to get a decent result, a win or a podium. For his Dad.

That would be nice.

As for the McLaren livery, they still don't get it. There is only space in F1 for ONE silver arrows team!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

That Mclaren livery is absolutely amazing! So simple but strikingly effective!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Id like Button to get a decent result, a win or a podium. For his Dad.

That would be nice.

As for the McLaren livery, they still don't get it. There is only space in F1 for ONE silver arrows team!

But they have been running that livery for more consecutive seasons than Mercedes have....
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:As for the McLaren livery, they still don't get it. There is only space in F1 for ONE silver arrows team!

But they have been running that livery for more consecutive seasons than Mercedes have....

If you want to be that childish about it ( ;) ) well Mercedes had it first!
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:But they have been running that livery for more consecutive seasons than Mercedes have....

That is true, but the original silver arrows were factory Mercedes so, now that Mercedes have a team on their own and McLaren will switch to Honda next season, it seems of little point to insist in silver to be honest. McLaren only used silver because of Mercedes anyway as it was not present in McLaren liveries before that partnership. I won't hide that I was looking for something different from McLaren this season and I am, therefore, a bit disappointed.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:That's potentialy 4/5th of the race spent piddling around and not racing.

Yes, but then they might still drop out in that last fifth of the race. That potential unpredictability alone has just added a level of interest.

Sublime_FA11C wrote:I am excited about the new stuff and the general reshuffle, but i very much doubt the racing will improve unless engineers compute that giving greater control over strategy to drivers themselves would improve their chances. While i'm not disillusioned or unhappy with F1 in general, i do think we should prepare for some terribly dull "racing" ahead. Though i secretly hope teams throw their strategy books in the bins and take risks.

I do agree generally with this though. If everything goes right with a particular team or car, then yes there might be a lot of boffin-driven strategy and management which will make things a bit dull. At this stage I am banking on the fact that there are so many things that could go wrong that there's bound to be some level of intrigue even if the actual wheel-to-wheel action is average. Edd Straw on Autosport suggested once - half-jokingly - that radios should be banned. I think, in this day and age, that would be a sensational idea. Make the drivers manage a race for themselves!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Shizuka wrote:
FIA press conference in Melbourne. @MassaFelipe19 just said "You know" 21 times in 3 minutes #AustralianGP

The latest graduate of the Danica Patrick School of Giving Interviews! :D

Like the McLaren though. Now excuse me as I suddenly need to shower.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

eytl wrote:
Sublime_FA11C wrote:That's potentialy 4/5th of the race spent piddling around and not racing.

Yes, but then they might still drop out in that last fifth of the race. That potential unpredictability alone has just added a level of interest.

Sublime_FA11C wrote:I am excited about the new stuff and the general reshuffle, but i very much doubt the racing will improve unless engineers compute that giving greater control over strategy to drivers themselves would improve their chances. While i'm not disillusioned or unhappy with F1 in general, i do think we should prepare for some terribly dull "racing" ahead. Though i secretly hope teams throw their strategy books in the bins and take risks.

I do agree generally with this though. If everything goes right with a particular team or car, then yes there might be a lot of boffin-driven strategy and management which will make things a bit dull. At this stage I am banking on the fact that there are so many things that could go wrong that there's bound to be some level of intrigue even if the actual wheel-to-wheel action is average. Edd Straw on Autosport suggested once - half-jokingly - that radios should be banned. I think, in this day and age, that would be a sensational idea. Make the drivers manage a race for themselves!

Especially if they have to use pit-wall messages as there is a possibility that other teams could work out strategies - but then have to communicate that via wall too! :D
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:But they have been running that livery for more consecutive seasons than Mercedes have....

That is true, but the original silver arrows were factory Mercedes so, now that Mercedes have a team on their own and McLaren will switch to Honda next season, it seems of little point to insist in silver to be honest. McLaren only used silver because of Mercedes anyway as it was not present in McLaren liveries before that partnership. I won't hide that I was looking for something different from McLaren this season and I am, therefore, a bit disappointed.

I was under the impression that the reason for McLaren switching to a silver livery was because of their sponsorship deal with West tobacco in 1997, although in more recent years it then became associated with Mercedes as the partnership between McLaren and Mercedes developed.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I'm not sure Mario, when West sponsored Sito Pons' MotoGP team circa 2001 or 2002 (I forget the year exactly) the bikes were black, except a grey/white area where the West logo was.

I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'd say mario is right here - McLaren did run Mercedes engines in 1995 and 1996 without any silver.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

In vaguely related news, West-liveried bike = really cool.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Salamander wrote:I'd say mario is right here - McLaren did run Mercedes engines in 1995 and 1996 without any silver.

Good point, that had slipped my mind, though bear in mind they'd still probably be contractually obliged to run the Marlboro colours at that time which may explain why they didn't use silver in 95/96.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:
Salamander wrote:I'd say mario is right here - McLaren did run Mercedes engines in 1995 and 1996 without any silver.

Good point, that had slipped my mind, though bear in mind they'd still probably be contractually obliged to run the Marlboro colours at that time which may explain why they didn't use silver in 95/96.

Indeed. It fitted well with Mercedes. When they went vodafone they could have gone back to red and white though they didn't, probably because Mercedes.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shizuka wrote:

It's still not even close to the number of times Vettel says 'Yeah'.

Edit
Watching FP1 now and Hamilton is the first to brake down :lol:
The one car everyone has praised for it's reliability during preseason. Irony.

And Vettel's car looks very stripped, trouble already.

Apparently Kobayashi's car is on fire in the pits, the cameras hasn't shown anything, though.
Last edited by Jocke1 on 14 Mar 2014, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
-*:-
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

5 minutes in, and Hamilton's ground to a halt. He's already had a power unit change earlier today.

This is gonna be one of those days. :lol:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Jocke1 wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

It's still not even close to the number of times Vettel says 'Yeah'.

Edit
Watching FP1 now and Hamilton is the first to brake down :lol:
The one car everyone has praised for it's reliability during preseason. Irony.

And Vettel's car looks very stripped, trouble already.

Apparently Kobayashi's car is on fire in the pits, the cameras hasn't shown anything, though.

Red Bull had the saws out on the back of the car. Oh dear :|
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

go_Rubens wrote:Red Bull had the saws out on the back of the car. Oh dear :|

Yes, Horner does not look amused.

And I see that Caterham has painted their nose black. I must say I liked it much better when it was green.
The McLaren and the Wiliams look great, but my favorite livery right now is easily Force India's. I just love those strong colors, especially the orange.

Chilton just pulled a mini 'Mazzacane Indy 2000' move in the pits, hitting his mechanic like a boss.
The entire Marussia crew looked bewildered.

Oww, Maldonado almost ends up in the wall on his very first out-lap. He cruises back to the pits waving to his mechanics because smoke was developing in the cockpit.
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

Well, we had more running then what I would have expected. Lotus and Caterham seem to be the only ones in SERIOUS trouble. Nice time from Nando, but maybe the Mercs were sandbaging. I have a feeling that Lotus and Caterham won't make it to the grid, at least not in anger. So we have 18 who are looking to make it to the end, but I suspcet we might lose another 4-6 cars and not only to unrieliability as there were many mistakes, braking seems to be an issue. So 12ish finishers would be a return to the old ways but now top 10 score.

PS: That Red Bull looked fast. Damn. But will it last the distance...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

FP1 Melbourne 2013 - Sunny skies.
Pos--No--Driver--Team--Time/Retired--Gap--Laps

1 1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:27.211 16
2 4 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:27.289 0.078 17
3 3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:27.547 0.336 16
4 10 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:27.552 0.341 18
5 2 Mark Webber Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:27.668 0.457 18

FP1 Melbourne 2014 - Sunny skies.

1 14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:31.840 20
2 22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:32.357 0.517 23
3 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes 1:32.403 0.563 27
4 19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 1:32.431 0.591 19
5 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:32.599 0.759 26
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Jocke1 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Chilton just pulled a mini 'Mazzacane Indy 2000' move in the pits, hitting his mechanic like a boss.
The entire Marussia crew looked bewildered.

Reject moment of the year starts from FP1 at the Australian Grand Prix.. :D
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Alive and kicking for FP2 :). Surprised Lotus and Caterham couldn't manage at least ONE timed lap in FP1... And absolutely loving the competitiveness of Martini Williams Racing!
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I'm feeling familiar with the engine sounds out of nowhere. Indycars have V6 but it's not from there....

Confirmed that Kobayashi can't do any lap for FP2, fuel pump problem :cry:
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm more surprised by the lack of pace from Sauber.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

The engines of the car sound off, but I need time to get use to them
Officially Retired
mario

Post by mario »

Interesting development with regards to the RB10 and the camera mounts at the front of the car - it appears that they are mounting their front facing camera within the nosecone itself rather than in an external housing, explaining why there have been so camera pods visible on the car throughout testing.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

I will nominate mornings for an early ROTR (or ROFP2). I was really tired (I hate waking up early in the morning) and closed my eyes for about ten minutes only to miss both Grosjean's crash and Hülkenberg's spin. :evil:
superimu

Post by superimu »

Based on practice there could be a stonking battle for RORY between Caterham, Lotus and don't sleep on Kvyat who looked particularly lost.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

2014 Australian Grand Prix Thread - A New Damnation! :D
So... there we have it, finally!

superimu wrote:Based on practice there could be a stonking battle for RORY between Caterham, Lotus and don't sleep on Kvyat who looked particularly lost.

Lotus seems to be a strong contender for ROTY. Caterham have already proved themselves to make little progress in 5 years of the three new teams, and with HRT gone it is just more prominent. Unless they will manage to make their hammer-like car run half-decent.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Well that was an awesome day of action! I was sitting on the last corner right near pit entry, was a great location but if I ever make it to Melbourne again I think I'll pay the extra dollars for a seat at turn one... Have to admit that while the Williams cars looked quick they were getting pretty sideways most laps at the last corner. New turbos sound epic despite being quieter than the Carerra Cup cars.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

AustralianStig wrote:Well that was an awesome day of action! I was sitting on the last corner right near pit entry, was a great location but if I ever make it to Melbourne again I think I'll pay the extra dollars for a seat at turn one... Have to admit that while the Williams cars looked quick they were getting pretty sideways most laps at the last corner. New turbos sound epic despite being quieter than the Carerra Cup cars.

You need to make it down to Turn 3. Sit on the inside of the corner and theres some free seats there. Its where you can properly see the cars, plus generally its where all the lock ups etc happen.

Plus did it bother you that there was no real need for ear plugs, even the porsche carrerra cup was louder.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Oh dear, oh dear ... unreliability looks to be the prime candidate for Reject Of the Race as of Friday.

On Kamui-san's overall, it reads "imagination at work". It must be tough that that's all he can do as long as the car isn't working properly.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."