Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rantbox

Post by DanielPT »

Turbogirl wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling, they WANT something to complain about. To be honest: I have nothing to complain about at all and I LOVE the sound of the 80s turbos more than anything else. But first of all, I wanted a great and exciting race! What did I get? A great and exciting race. I'm happy with the way it is. More of that, please! :D

Well, that seems to be the majority of F1 fans since 1950 where they probably complained about not being the same thing as pre war races or something like that.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

DanielPT wrote:
Turbogirl wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling, they WANT something to complain about. To be honest: I have nothing to complain about at all and I LOVE the sound of the 80s turbos more than anything else. But first of all, I wanted a great and exciting race! What did I get? A great and exciting race. I'm happy with the way it is. More of that, please! :D

Well, that seems to be the majority of F1 fans since 1950 where they probably complained about not being the same thing as pre war races or something like that.

To me, nothing beats the sound of goold old steam engined racing cars.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

This wrote:
DanielPT wrote:

To me, nothing beats the sound of goold old steam engined racing cars.

Steam??? That doesn't compare to the power of the chariot carts! Now that's real horsepower! :P :P
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

I too was dissapointed that there had to be so much bitching about F1 after an exciting start. F1 seems better to me than it has been in ages. I have watched it since the early 90s, pretty much ignored it completely during the grooved tyres era (because grooved tyres are dumb and because CART was still a good alternative) watched it again from 09 on.

I understand people getting passionate about a sound they identify with most in F1, but casual fans are just way to casual for such an opinion to have enough weight, yet way to numerous to ignore. Problem is the "scream" sound F1 lost with the switch to V6 turbos is NOT the default sound of F1 because sounds have changed over the years. I have never heard the old turbos, so to me the scream is the sound i associate most with, but that said the V12s and 10s were the sh.. not the V8s. The V8s were godawfull and i never liked them nor would i ever miss them. Ever. Plenty of volume and pitch but nothing to like about the sound. No roar. But that's just my opinion and it's based on "my time in F1".

The V6s ... they don't sound all that nice to be honest. There some grunt and growl to them, and the accompanying hising and whining plus the clatter of ratios is definetly more interesting than the mindless white noise, but i would not say it's pleasent. Maybe it grows more on me. It's definetly more engrossing because it adds to the visual nicely, a visual of a driver barely keeping a punchy and unstable beast on the road. Plus having the sqeal of tyres is a definite plus, though the sound itself again isnt a pleasent one. Hearing more of the crowd is a plus as well, Ricciardo's temporary pole was a great moment.

I hope F1 doesn't go down the route of artificially altering engine sounds. That is so dumb, for a sport that wants to be on the bleeding edge of technology it's 100% unacceptable. It also cant work because noise is escaped energy and to allow energy loss on power units whose biggest selling point is energy efficiency... is dumb. I cant stop myself from making sarcastic remarks about old farts of F1 with poor hearing complaining about the loss of noise (Such as Bernie, Todt, add Mallya to the mix). aside casual fans they are the biggest bunch of whiners out there. Judging by how loud this lot turns up their TVs, i don't think they should be trusted to comment on engine noise. Sir Jackie Stewart was the only one honest enough to outright admit that his hearing is damaged, that it was damaged by the engine noise and that he doesn't mind the new engines being quiet enough for people to hold a conversation while watching a race.

May i suggest a perfectly acceptable, technologically proven and effective, in no way artificial solution to the problem of lack of noise in new F1 cars?
It's called a hearing aid.

I would also like to comment on the racing in Oz, particularly the large gaps between cars. Honestly i'm gonna be majorly biased here. Seeing huge ass gaps between cars, and cars pulling over with terminal failures... it brought back memories. Memories absent from F1 for too damn long. Memories that perhaps newer F1 fans never had and probably dislike or worry about. Not that it's cool to see a leader dissapear into the distance followed by a few strung out groups in battle, then another gap to somebody trying to catch up. It may seem boring, but F1 races have in fact very often been boring. Fortunatly in 2014 it seems it's possible to overtake which is a blessing. Very few overtakes in Oz were DRS assisted. In bygone years overtaking was either difficult or impossible because of turbulence. Yes the race had it's quiet moments, but that's acceptable as long as there's wheel to wheel action to follow. DRS imo is not a huge problem, but extreme reliance on DRS is. As a friend of mine pointed out, overtaking should be difficult and it more meaningfull when it happens rarely rather than all the time with no effot. Mind you, he's only watched F1 since 2010, so he is unfamiliar with processional affairs the aero depencace caused which lead to DRS in the first place. 2014 cars still cause understeer in cars closely following but much less than before, so it's possible to hang on to someone and pressure them into a driving error. Case in point, Kvyat throwing a dummy to Raikkonnen. Poor Kimi, he went wide to give an unknown rookie room to screw up... and screwed up himself. MORE of that PLEASE! Though in fairness, it's more down to Ferrari being unstable under braking then Kvyat being awesome, but it was a good idea from the youngster nonetheless.

It's unavoidable that reliability will improve, but still there's a chance of a heartbreaking failure for a title contender even late in the season. I like that, it's good drama not artificial crap like double points or whatnot. DRS and overtaking through pit stops is still a possibility, but it's not the default and an alternative instead. Alonso and Button did the job in the pits, but that's good. It should be a tactical alternative to overtaking not a replacement for it.

So far so good for 2014. Dissapointed that there is much talk of finding a "solution" to this "problem". I dont see a problem. Whatever anyone complains about, it's allways going to be biased based on what they're used to and what they consider "true F1". But there is no true F1 and never was. Only good or bad races with little or lots of exciting or lifeless overtaking against a backdrop of a dull or unpredictable title challenge.
Again, so far so good for 2014.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
Waris

Post by Waris »

The people who complain about the engine sound seem to be complaining most about the amount of noise being too low, rather than anything else. So why not just hook the engines up to amplifiers and make the sound a bit louder, that ought to shut them up. :P
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Waris wrote:The people who complain about the engine sound seem to be complaining most about the amount of noise being too low, rather than anything else. So why not just hook the engines up to amplifiers and make the sound a bit louder, that ought to shut them up. :P

I have a solution for both fans at the track and fans at home (who havent worked out that upping the TV volume makes things louder)...
Just For One Day...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I can't see why people complain about sound. In fact, I'm complaining about a sound in F1 right now. Read this from Autosport:

Autosport wrote:F1 has a noise problem, but it's not that the engines are too quiet - it's the complaints that are too loud, argues DIETER RENCKEN

Love that quote. Also, I think this video proves that they sound awesome when revved high:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgVdnrbvoA

In the race, I can sense why people complain because no one revs high then, even if it's still better than the V8s. But in qualifying trim at 13,000 rpm it's easily the most fantastic engine noise I've heard since 2005. Quite honestly, I can't see the problem here, as during the race they still sound fine.

Here's hoping that Bernie will never alter the sounds. They're fine, dammit. Being able to hear more besides the cars themselves actually immerses a person in the environment more than in the past. The fact that he's disgusted means he's either still living in the past or coming up with his own harebrained ideas again. :| How the Aussie GP organizers reacted in my opinion was really not appropriate either.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Can't say I like the sounds at all. A stock Jaguar F-Type R has a better sound than this season's F1 cars. When a road car sounds better than your racecar, you got problems bud.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

LionZoo wrote:Can't say I like the sounds at all. A stock Jaguar F-Type R has a better sound than this season's F1 cars. When a road car sounds better than your racecar, you got problems bud.

And I can name countless road cars that sounded better than the screaming V8's which drowned out everything else. But we got through that era alright, didn't we?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Salamander wrote:
LionZoo wrote:Can't say I like the sounds at all. A stock Jaguar F-Type R has a better sound than this season's F1 cars. When a road car sounds better than your racecar, you got problems bud.

And I can name countless road cars that sounded better than the screaming V8's which drowned out everything else. But we got through that era alright, didn't we?

Can't say I agree with you there. I thought the V8s sounded better than anything on the road.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

So i was watching the 2009 Melbourne GP, the last time there were major league regulation changes, and i was kinda surprised by some of the talking points. Among them the "ugly" new, wide, low front wings. The tyres!!!! with Button mentioning that aside the race start where he will be vulnerable to Barichello, the graining of the soft compound and it's expected short lifespan will be a major issue in his race. Remember this is 2009, and the supplier is still Bridgestone... lol, such comments would be home in '13 or '12 or '11....

Other things the TV idiots were complaining about was how complicated and difficult to understand for the average F1 fan the fancy new KERS system is, how some teams even choose not to run it and how the brewing diffuser-gate is even more perplexing as few fans could even find the diffuser on a race car, let alone understand what all the hooplah is about.

Aside how quickly 'horrifying' F1 changes fade away, what shocked me was how noisy the V8s were. I will admit that after so many years the scream of such engines became F1's signature sound, but personally it's been in a decline for long enough, was the signature sound for more than long enough, and i'm glad to see aforementioned TV idiots no longer need headgear and can talk normally instead of screaming every time a V8 scream is nearby.

So i skipped on a bit and watched (randomly) last year's Qualifying for the Japanese GP. The cars look much more planted on the track, i immediatly missed the squirmy and rebellious 2014 cars. The scream of the engines was again noticable, but if the on and off track action of this year keeps up, i think it will be sent to a retirement home rather than lead to 'noise enhancers' (i once again suggest hearing aids instead).

The 2012 platypus noses are forgotten, and even the 2014 penisy noses are set to fade away. AMong those who closely follow F1 and it's testing they are pretty much established features and not really the focus of attention. Those who switched F1 on on race day in melbourne may need more time to adjust, but it will be a change as simple as the platypus or the ugly new wings or any other. If anything the new noses add significant variety since no two cars are alike.

So after watching some past F1, one thought really stuck with me. One i kinda did not expect. Not that ugly new features are quickly accepted, and not even that i now appreciate new V6 turbos a hell of a lot more than before. Not that.

Suzuka 2014 is goan be Race of The Year! The legenday difficulty of that circuit is going to strain drivers and machines to such an extent we may get a ridiculously decimated field. Joy! Sadly, since Marussias and Caterhams are even more difficult to drive, it doesn't look good for their points prospects, but one can dream. For the first time in my life i wish i had a time machine! I want to watch cars screwing up every corner right now, i cant wait. The 2013 qualy had them zig-zagging through the snake section with utter ease and it was up to Degners to catch cars. And they did, handsomely. What Suzuka has in store for the rowdy turbos... i can only imagine. :)

It's gonna be good!
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I think 2009 was a particularly on rails-looking year, though I'm not completely confident of that.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I really dislike polls that are not showing the number of votes/number of people voting.
It makes them highly untrustworthy, and frankly comes off as manufactured.

In politics is one thing, let's not get into that.

But in the F1 world, there are many instances where this occurs.
I frequently notice it, and it annoys me.

Formula1.com for instance, through all the years since they've been online (99-00)
they have had a poll at the bottom of the main page:
But they have never shown the number of votes to those percentages,
no matter the subject of the questions.

And Sky F1 has a real fetish for polls that do not tell the whole story,
just in the last 10 days or so:

What is the reason why they choose not to provide the number of people voting?
*Low participation totals (therefore embarrassing)?
*Results not to their liking (therefore easily able to manipulate the results, without it showing)?

Of course they wanted/needed Hamilton to get the most votes.
And of course they can't show the 'engine noise' debacle heavily favored in one way or the other,
therefore .. a 51/49 result.
poll-rant over
-*:-
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

F1.com is saying that there will be full monsoon rain for the race...

So in other words, it's going to be bone dry race day. :roll:
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Aerospeed wrote:F1.com is saying that there will be full monsoon rain for the race...

There will be monsoon rain. The race will be delayed until the track is appropriate for intermediates, then the first five laps will take place behind the safety car.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Aerospeed wrote:F1.com is saying that there will be full monsoon rain for the race...

There will be monsoon rain. The race will be delayed until the track is appropriate for intermediates, then the first five laps will take place behind the safety car.

And then it will get red flagged and then there'll be no race. Its bound to happen at some point.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Dare I say Magnum Coca-Cola?
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

They REALLY should move the time of Sepang. Come on! And yes, with these new cars they won't have the guts to run in heavy rain. They had trouble in the previous race and the rain was not heavy. The wets these days are a joke.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Rusujuur wrote:They REALLY should move the time of Sepang. Come on! And yes, with these new cars they won't have the guts to run in heavy rain. They had trouble in the previous race and the rain was not heavy. The wets these days are a joke.

Monsoon rain + that torque = snap oversteer like you wouldn't believe :shock:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

watka wrote:
Rusujuur wrote:They REALLY should move the time of Sepang. Come on! And yes, with these new cars they won't have the guts to run in heavy rain. They had trouble in the previous race and the rain was not heavy. The wets these days are a joke.

I'm really hoping they don't just red flag everything, these new cars bring back all the things I love most to racing - raw talent, bravery and unpredictability. Should be on for an amazing weekend.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

SgtPepper wrote:
watka wrote:

I'm really hoping they don't just red flag everything, these new cars bring back all the things I love most to racing - raw talent, bravery and unpredictability. Should be on for an amazing weekend.

It's been how long since we last had a complete full wets race? I bet for a while. F1 just seem to not do that any more. If it is monsoon the race will probably be red flagged or have large periods behind the safety car. I don't know which is worse. Pity.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

The reason why there hasn't been a full wet race for a while is the wet tyres had a small operating window between "no standing water" and "we need oars"
mario

Post by mario »

andrew2209 wrote:The reason why there hasn't been a full wet race for a while is the wet tyres had a small operating window between "no standing water" and "we need oars"

I'm not sure that it is necessarily just that aspect though, since several racing series have become far more cautious in wet weather too - maybe it is just my impression, but it seems that safety cars are also deployed a lot more readily in sportscar racing these days during adverse conditions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

OTOH, last year in Australia we saw qualifying suspended while this year it was completed in similarly looking wet conditions. But yes, we've all been saying that the time should be moved since the 2009 debacle.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

mario wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:The reason why there hasn't been a full wet race for a while is the wet tyres had a small operating window between "no standing water" and "we need oars"

I'm not sure that it is necessarily just that aspect though, since several racing series have become far more cautious in wet weather too - maybe it is just my impression, but it seems that safety cars are also deployed a lot more readily in sportscar racing these days during adverse conditions.

I thought it was something about how the cars were designed that they couldn't take a small amount of standing water, like Malaysia 2009.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:
mario wrote:

I thought it was something about how the cars were designed that they couldn't take a small amount of standing water, like Malaysia 2009.

It's true that the planks underneath the car will sometimes cause the car to aquaplane, which is part of the reason why the wet tyres have a slightly larger diameter (it is a quick way of slightly increasing the ride height in an attempt to reduce the likelihood of that happening).

There is another factor that does play a part in some of the stoppages that have occurred too, and that is the fact that there are restrictions on the conditions in which the medical helicopter is allowed to fly in. The medical helicopter tends to be grounded in very severe storms and, given that the conditions sharply raise the risk of a severe accident where rapid medical intervention might be required, that tends to be another reason why races are stopped in those sorts of conditions.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

I passionately hate the Sky 'Just Drive' intro song.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

SgtPepper wrote:I passionately hate the Sky 'Just Drive' intro song.

Same here, only this version is acceptable. :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Shizuka wrote:

Now THAT version I wouldn't mind.

Nothing could ever top The Chain though.

FMecha

Post by FMecha »

SgtPepper wrote:
Shizuka wrote:

Now THAT version I wouldn't mind.

Nothing could ever top The Chain though.

Truth > The Chain ;)
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FMecha wrote:Truth > The Chain ;)

I love that song too.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:

I love that song too.

The Chain is the most-played song on my iPod. It has 521 plays, as opposed to 354 for the song in 2nd place...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:
good_Ralf wrote:

I love that song too.

The Chain is the most-played song on my iPod. It has 521 plays, as opposed to 354 for the song in 2nd place...

I like the Chain, don't get me wrong, but what I was implying was that I love Truth, the theme song for FujiTV's coverage.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Liking a particular driver is no excuse to dispute real life facts about their performance
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

I liked it when BBC used it for their 2010 end of season montage, but god damn it do I hate the song now.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Liking a particular driver is no excuse to dispute real life facts about their performance

Same goes the other way around. Case in point, Sebastian Vettel.
(Yes, I know, practice what you preach. I still won't aknowledge Alonso or Hamilton as good drivers. I am a honest hypocrite)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

DonTirri wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Liking a particular driver is no excuse to dispute real life facts about their performance

(Yes, I know, practice what you preach. I still won't aknowledge Alonso or Hamilton as good drivers. I am a honest hypocrite)

Ok Hamilton I can maybe see where you're coming from (although I disagree), but Alonso?

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

SgtPepper wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

Ok Hamilton I can maybe see where you're coming from (although I disagree), but Alonso?

He's as biased against Alonso as you are against Vettel.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Indeed it is not. Which is why it is so fortunate I am not doing it.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Salamander wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

He's as biased against Alonso as you are against Vettel.

Criticism of Alonso's driving skill is very rare and I'm intrigued as to what the thinking behind it is.