Live Podcast Race Commentary?

The place for discussion of all aspects of the gprejects.com website
Alianora La Canta

Re: Live Podcast Race Commentary?

Post by Alianora La Canta »

When did you last try to create a Google Account? Because Google now seems to have a sound CAPTCHA, which you can use instead of the text version. I just tried it, and find it rather hard to understand, but perhaps this helps you? {P_Friesacher - 2 posts ago}

It was there when I last tried and it is, if anything, even worse. At least with the visual version I can tell where the letters are supposed to be, if not figure out which letters they are supposed to represent. Covering spoken letters with three layers of noise means the notes from some of the more tuneful parts of the noise obscure the letters.

Perhaps this explains why Creating Accessible Websites was worth 20 credits in the final year of my degree...
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Alianora La Canta wrote:How can you not get a Google account? It's not like you need a driver's license number or anything... {thehemogoblin - 2 comments ago}

Because you need to be able to read a particularly difficult-to-read CAPTCHA and due to my disability I find it is impossible to read. No CAPTCHA, no account. Basically, Google thinks I'm a machine.

I can manage the simpler CAPTCHAs but not the more complicated ones - Yahoo! is an example of the former, Wordpress is an example of the latter and Blogger is borderline.

Couldn't you have someone else do that for you? I've had other people ask me to read them captchas before.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I never had problems with them :ugeek:
Alianora La Canta

Post by Alianora La Canta »

Couldn't you have someone else do that for you? I've had other people ask me to read them captchas before. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

I could, but is it worth the hassle to sign up for something that can't even be bothered to be accessible? It's not rocket science! Besides, it encourages sites which can be bothered to continue to be bothered. When you find barriers to accessible living in a lot of everyday life, you appreciate sites like F1 Rejects which can be bothered to use relatively accessible methods of entry to their communities.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Alianora La Canta wrote:Couldn't you have someone else do that for you? I've had other people ask me to read them captchas before. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

I could, but is it worth the hassle to sign up for something that can't even be bothered to be accessible? It's not rocket science! Besides, it encourages sites which can be bothered to continue to be bothered. When you find barriers to accessible living in a lot of everyday life, you appreciate sites like F1 Rejects which can be bothered to use relatively accessible methods of entry to their communities.

It's an interesting point you raise there. There's a balance to be struck. You know me and Gobs were given a button that deletes threads and posts specifically because the Captcha on the forum wasn't keeping the spammers away. They're still a hassle, even if things seem to have improved a bit lately.

It's been on the cards for a while to update the forum; I'm, sure Jamie and Enoch have seen this by now, and are pondering on the accessibility issue themselves.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Alianora La Canta wrote:Couldn't you have someone else do that for you? I've had other people ask me to read them captchas before. {thehemogoblin - 2 posts ago}

It's an interesting point you raise there. There's a balance to be struck. You know me and Gobs were given a button that deletes threads and posts specifically because the Captcha on the forum wasn't keeping the spammers away. They're still a hassle, even if things seem to have improved a bit lately.

It's been on the cards for a while to update the forum; I'm, sure Jamie and Enoch have seen this by now, and are pondering on the accessibility issue themselves.

Gobs? Really?

I guess that would have made Snoozey... THE GOBSTOPPER!

CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:Gobs? Really?

Well, I've been known to call people worst things in the past. ;)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:Gobs? Really?

Well, I've been known to call people worst things in the past. ;)

Good Gobs Almighty!
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'll never forget when I first tried that. So hard you could hit it against a wall and it didn't break.