2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
mario

Re: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Thread

Post by mario »

watka wrote:What a great race! Bahrain is so hit and miss with what it delivers, but this time I'm glad its on the calendar. Shame I had to settle for the late night BBC highlights than seeing the whole thing live.

I think what makes it a great race rather than just a good one is that we had a rip-roaring battle for the lead. There have been plenty of races over the last few years which have been good due to battles further down the field but they lacked that last little bit of excitement you get from knowing its for the win. The intra-team battles were amazing too. I heard one strict team order all race (Vettel being instructed to let Ricciardo past) and all of the racing was clean.

Hamilton's defending against Rosberg was pretty incredible. His tyres were harder than Nico's and he also had to defend against DRS so how he managed to achieve that, and fairly, is beyond me. Nico will be scratching his head a little bit over that one.

I'm happy that I called Perez's podium (not so happy that I didn't put money down on it!) because Force India have looked strong and Sergio seems to have worked really hard this weekend. The qualifying performance was a rabbit out of the hat in addition to their race pace which was always going to be strong. Ricciardo did really well too, handsomely beating Vettel all weekend, although its always difficult to know where you stand with Vettel's performances as whenever he is slow he always seems to think there is a problem with the car.

I have to agree that this race was quite spectacular - the racing was hard but, mostly, clean and fair, we saw some of the minnows upstage bigger teams (Force India are now in 2nd place in the WCC) and the mix of strategies managing to shake things up nicely. The fight between Rosberg and Hamilton for the lead was especially impressive - firm but respectful driving from both drivers, and it looks like the two of them could be fairly evenly matched throughout the season.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I thought it was a good race all round but my favourite moment was watching De Montezemolo turn away in disgust as Alonso was passed by Hulkenberg (I think). Comedy gold.

Well Luca, you've tried to get the rules changed to help your team but Jean Todt isnt having any of it. What else have you got?
Just For One Day...
James1978

Post by James1978 »

I dread to think what would happen if Red Bull got hold of Mercedes engines (which was actually suggested on the Sky commentary - I mean any team bar Ferrari could conceivably get them)!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

Am I the only one who finds its strange that Riccardo gets a stop go, loses time because of the tyre to begin with plus a ten grid spot penalty for something out of his control.
Yet Maldonado hits Gut and only gets a 5 grid spot penalty?
razta

Post by razta »

Guys... THIS IS HISTORY in the making!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

razta wrote:Guys... THIS IS HISTORY in the making!

:lol: Fantastic! I was thinking about you during the race Razta and wondering whether Id spot you but to no avail. Great pics, if you're on Facebook then I reckon that one of you and the trophy should be your profile picture for life!
Just For One Day...
razta

Post by razta »

CoopsII wrote:

:lol: Fantastic! I was thinking about you during the race Razta and wondering whether Id spot you but to no avail. Great pics, if you're on Facebook then I reckon that one of you and the trophy should be your profile picture for life!

I am on Facebook, and yes.. i did the trophy pic as my profile.. add me if you like.. Raz Al-Haddad.. I'm just uploading my other pics right now
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wow. That is amazing :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
razta

Post by razta »

Btw, about 50 seconds in.. you'll see me Trolling around in the back of shot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMUifZKzbZc
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Nicely done Razta! Hope you keep enjoying this season! ;)
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

I see no mention of Brian Johnson. Even though he is a cool dude and his enthusiasm shone through,
it was one of the worst podium interviews yet. Ranks right up there with Jean Alesi's podium interview.

Oh, and Razta. Image
-*:-
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Well done ratza!
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

James1978 wrote:I dread to think what would happen if Red Bull got hold of Mercedes engines (which was actually suggested on the Sky commentary - I mean any team bar Ferrari could conceivably get them)!!

You're out of your mind if you think Mercedes would ever entertain that idea.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

Good to see that you had a great time - I guess that you probably couldn't have asked for more.

Basetornado wrote:Am I the only one who finds its strange that Riccardo gets a stop go, loses time because of the tyre to begin with plus a ten grid spot penalty for something out of his control.
Yet Maldonado hits Gut and only gets a 5 grid spot penalty?

I guess that the FIA is more sensitive about incidents in the pit lane given that there is a higher potential for serious injuries to the mechanics - pitlane incidents tended to attract higher fines in the past, but now it seems that the FIA aim to hurt the team where it hurts most, and that is their competitiveness.

I guess that the stewards felt that the higher points penalty for Maldonado justified a lower grid penalty - however, because Bianchi was also given a two point penalty for his clash with Sutil, at the moment it is Bianchi who is currently the driver with the highest penalty points total. I wouldn't have predicted that based on his performance last year...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I have to say, that was a brilliant race. Shows you what happens when you let the drivers race! I have more respect for Hamilton and Rosberg now. They can go wheel to wheel and not crash into each other. Looking forward to the WDC, it looks like a fight to the finish. (Unless someone else gets DNFed due to a technical problem...)
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mario wrote:I guess that the FIA is more sensitive about incidents in the pit lane given that there is a higher potential for serious injuries to the mechanics - pitlane incidents tended to attract higher fines in the past, but now it seems that the FIA aim to hurt the team where it hurts most, and that is their competitiveness.

I think that is right, lest us not forget this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Qx34fCdVE
True, Dan himself did nothing wrong but the teams must really make safety the number 1 priority.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Basetornado

Post by Basetornado »

watka wrote:
mario wrote:I guess that the FIA is more sensitive about incidents in the pit lane given that there is a higher potential for serious injuries to the mechanics - pitlane incidents tended to attract higher fines in the past, but now it seems that the FIA aim to hurt the team where it hurts most, and that is their competitiveness.

I think that is right, lest us not forget this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Qx34fCdVE
True, Dan himself did nothing wrong but the teams must really make safety the number 1 priority.

Safety is a priority, but pretty stupid that impeding someone gets 2 points and flipping someone gets 3 points.