Mercedes 2010 Livery

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
noisebox

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Mercedes MGP W01

Post by noisebox »

"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
coops

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Mercedes MGP W01

Post by coops »

Oh dear, Nico is being "the driver that sits on the wheel while the team-mate towers above him"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 478471.stm
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I like it. And by that I mean I really like it. I think this is what a livery should be. It's not a moving billboard the way the ING Renaults were. It's simple, it's smart, and it's unassuming. If you look at the Renaults, you can count twenty ING decals on the sidepods and engine cowling alone. But here, it's not totally overpowering. It seems to have been designed around a less-is-more philosophy. I like that the only turquoise parts are the PETRONAS decals, and that the only red bits are the Aabar logos.

At the same time this livery is almost ... respectful. You can see the influence of their original teams in that silvery-white. The nosecone is a throwback to the West McLaren Mercedes designs of the late 1990s. And the wings mirrors are a carry-over from the Brawn. It's almost as if Mercedes are acknowledging the history associated with their name and the team they purchased. There's nothing here that interrupts the flow of the car's design, nothing that is jarring or out of place. It's a racing car with sponsor names on it, not a corporate platform that has been shaped into a racing car.

Bravo, Mercedes.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:There's nothing here that interrupts the flow of the car's design

Ok, but that's last years car...
Broadly agree with you though, it looks pretty classy, especially compared to the billboard type wings of the Ferrari.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
coops

Post by coops »

Captain Hammer wrote:I like it.

Me too. Im looking forward to seeing what Mclaren do to their livery to differentiate it from this or the McMercs of old.
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

coops wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:I like it.

Me too. Im looking forward to seeing what Mclaren do to their livery to differentiate it from this or the McMercs of old.

Agreed - I'd like to see them incorporate some McLaren orange like they did on their test cars a while ago. Might be a bit tricky with Vodafone as their title sponsor though...!
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...... Ralf's at the launch!!!
http://twitter.com/jakehumphreyf1
Gilles27

Mercedes 2010 Livery

Post by Gilles27 »

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

shouldn't that read ' Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you last year's Brawn painted in the colours of the soon to be tested Mercedes MGP W01'
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

I hope schumacher is satisfied now that he has the #3, nico rosberg earned that number. Unlike someone who apparently won seven world championships, all by himself, not through a brilliant engineer.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Chewie wrote:shouldn't that read ' Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you last year's Brawn painted in the colours of the soon to be tested Mercedes MGP W01'

Which is a Honda (sort of...) I wonder how they feel about that?
Henrique

Post by Henrique »

The livery looks like a remix of last year's McLaren.
SDHammer

Re: Mercedes 2010 Livery

Post by SDHammer »

I think that livery will be really hard to see at the night/dusk races it'll just get lost amongst all the bright colours.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Really? There have been white or silver cars at previous night races. :)
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

I think that the artistic impression on the Brawn GP was a bit better...
An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Hmmm...I don't quite like it. It does seem a bit cheap to me, but it could be worse. BTW the BGP 001's design improves substantially having proper rims.
SDHammer

Post by SDHammer »

eagleash wrote:Really? There have been white or silver cars at previous night races. :)

I mean't the sponsor's logos would be difficult to see because of the black writing. If you notice liveries at other night races Qatar motoGp, Le mans 24hr, etc they use special luminous letters and numbers to make them more identifyable.
MaxZero

Post by MaxZero »

I was hoping it would have more Teal on it, but its ok
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

strangley im reminded of the 1999 Tyrell around the front with the black and silver thinking about it seeing how tyrell became b.a.r who became HONDA who became brawn well you know the rest interesting.... just realised Tyrrell used to have the numbers 3 and 4 on the cars for many a year... they now have their traditional numbers back!!!
mario

Post by mario »

Perhaps it is just me, but the silver paintwork does seem a little dull. No, not in that sense - but it does seem to lack a bit of vibrancy and irridescence. Looking at it though, the first car which comes to mind is not the Tyrrell, but the Sauber C9 (the Group C prototype car), which had a very similar dark silver paintjob and all black sponsor names.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
McDuck

Post by McDuck »

It looks like shite, IMO.
The USA is three meals away from chaos.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Not as much turquise as I feared, not as much silver as I hoped for. Could be worse.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

CarlosFerreira wrote:Not as much turquise as I feared, not as much silver as I hoped for. Could be worse.

Turquoise!!!
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Debaser wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:Not as much turquise as I feared, not as much silver as I hoped for. Could be worse.

Turquoise!!!

Typo... :oops:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

What's with the black "my child got let loose with a paintbrush" smears?

Boring. The mock-up suggested shades of silver, grey and black with some turquoise which would have been nicer.

And yep, Michael's cap confirms he's got his wish of the no. 3!

BTW, topic merged with the other thread on the Mercedes livery launch.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

noisebox wrote:
Chewie wrote:shouldn't that read ' Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you last year's Brawn painted in the colours of the soon to be tested Mercedes MGP W01'

And which is a Super Aguri (sort of), given that the team responsible for the Brawn aero (including the double-deck diffuser) came over from Super Aguri.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

eytl wrote:
noisebox wrote:

And which is a Super Aguri (sort of), given that the team responsible for the Brawn aero (including the double-deck diffuser) came over from Super Aguri.

So Arrows designed that Merc?

Cray-zay.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

shinji wrote:So Arrows designed that Merc?

Cray-zay.

Hmm ... either Enrique Bernoldi or Heinz-Harald Frentzen have to get the cockpit if Schumacher or Rosberg fail or get injured, if there is just one bit of truth behind that statement :mrgreen:
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Klon wrote:

Cray-zay.

Hmm ... either Enrique Bernoldi or Heinz-Harald Frentzen have to get the cockpit if Schumacher or Rosberg fail or get injured, if there is just one bit of truth behind that statement :mrgreen:

Or Diniz, Inoue, Morbidelli - wow, the possibilities are endless!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

noisebox wrote:
Klon wrote:

Cray-zay.

Team Petronas Haug-Brawn-Wilkinshaw Orange Arrows Phoenix Mercedes GP!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

noisebox wrote:

Ultimate dream team of Michael Schumacher and Damon Hill in my F1 2010? :?
- It's more likely than you think. :mrgreen:
Guzuky

Post by Guzuky »

coops wrote:Oh dear, Nico is being "the driver that sits on the wheel while the team-mate towers above him"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 478471.stm

The first thing that came to my mind... And if you view F1Racing's video http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/videos/schumacher-in-mercedes-colours-for-first-time_276/ you can hear him saying that the combination of him, Ross Brawn and Mercedes will fight for the championship [ed] wow, not even a mention of the word 'teammate' whatsoever...

I was happy to see him return to Formula One, but seeing the same arrogant and selfish attitude just make me want to vomit. A shame for Rosberg, a great driver that may be thwarted in this team.
Last edited by Guzuky on 26 Jan 2010, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
The only Formula 1 fan in Puerto Rico (reader since 2001)
Guzuky

Post by Guzuky »

And for the livery, I like it 80%, the only thing I don't like is the brushed silver look. It is just a little bit blah for me, like unpolished silver...

The just perfect touches of turquoise, red and black letters are wonderful. And I'm wating to see what will McLaren do just as coops said.
The only Formula 1 fan in Puerto Rico (reader since 2001)
Yuji_Ide

Post by Yuji_Ide »

A very nice Tyrell indeed.
Starts: 4
Finishes: 1 (13th)
Best Qualifying: 21st
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I approve of the car's colorscheme because the team did the sensible thing and put the numbers on the rear wing as well. :D
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.