Reject Sayings

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Reject Sayings

Post by ADx_Wales »

Heres my rant against the terminoligies that are forever repeated by F1 Drivers, commentators, and pundits across the spectrum of English speaking TV. I've often heard them before and kind of accepted them (except one which i truly detest) often as a kind of mistake in the process of saying things, much like a Murrayism, but subliminal, you hear it and it bypasses all forms of listening logic because your more focused on the racing visuals.

First off is the one some people can argue about...

".....its a real driver's circuit"

Until recently I would have ignored this one, but this one can make racing sound dull, a real drivers circuit, is a track that a driver would like to be challenged by, the array of corners putting the ONE man, to his own personal test, but a "real footballer's pitch"? "a real boxer's....glove? ring? opponent?" there is no other term in any form of sport, ok possibly golf.

But if a real driver's circuit is just to entertain the driver, whats there to entertain the public? Apparently Magny-Cours is a real drivers circuit...
Case Closed

When a race is on, not long after the start, the competitors form one long train, there will be the occasional pattern, especially in the late 80s early 90s, where mclarens, ferraris and williams would follw each other "two-by-two" or one team were in a "one-two" but then you'll get he odd occasion where, lets say Lewis Hamilton, is 2nd, with Massa in the lead and Raikkonen 3rd, and sometimes a commontator will say...

"Theres Hamilton in a Ferrari sandwich"

...!!!WRONG!!!...

... Surely a sandwich, aside from rolls , subs, or even toasties consist of the thing in the middle being the "thing-in-the-middle sandwich", its a HAMILTON sandwich for crying out loud!!!, or have EU legislations changed and all forms of bread based snacks are to be called Bread Sandwiches...

...ok there have been steps against this outrage by most commentators now saying "the meat in a #### sandwich", I will take it back, maybe.

But the worst misnomer of all, the word that gets up my spine and dangles at my "irritation" glands...

"guesstimate"

... for zsolt's sake GUESS or ESTIMATE, never both, a guess is a guess, an estimation is very much the same thing, combining the two will not creat some kind of super guess which is better than any other guess!!!

or can anyone prove me wrong?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
dr-baker

Re: Reject Sayings

Post by dr-baker »

I definately agree with the guestimation. And it doesn't even make them seem intelligent - it does makes them seem like they don't know which word they want so they make it up!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Its like those horrible American terms, things like "Triangulation", "Edu-tainment". All that does is get on my wick. Not to mention combining people's names cos they can't be bothered to say it properly, "Jedward"??? "SuBo"??? Say their names properly ffs. Also can F1 people use the names of corners and not just use numbers??? I sound like a grumpy old man when I'm a 17 year old doing A-Levels but never mind.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Debaser wrote:Its like those horrible American terms, things like "Triangulation", "Edu-tainment". All that does is get on my wick. Not to mention combining people's names cos they can't be bothered to say it properly, "Jedward"??? "SuBo"??? Say their names properly ffs. Also can F1 people use the names of corners and not just use numbers??? I sound like a grumpy old man when I'm a 17 year old doing A-Levels but never mind.

Couldn't agree with you more.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Debaser wrote:Also can F1 people use the names of corners and not just use numbers?

Ah, yes. It's one of my old gripes. I don't care how useful for pilots and teams to simply use a number internally, but please use the names when talking to the fans and other random outsiders.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Debaser wrote:Its like those horrible American terms, things like "Triangulation", "Edu-tainment". All that does is get on my wick. Not to mention combining people's names cos they can't be bothered to say it properly, "Jedward"??? "SuBo"??? Say their names properly ffs. Also can F1 people use the names of corners and not just use numbers??? I sound like a grumpy old man when I'm a 17 year old doing A-Levels but never mind.

Agreed on both topics. I doubt Lowes Hairpin would be remembered if it was just called "Turn 6" or La Source as "Turn 1." Turkeys Turn 8 really needs a proper name...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

"Into the romantically named 'First Turn'" Clive James, Portuguese GP 1986
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
coops

Post by coops »

Debaser wrote:Its like those horrible American terms, things like "Triangulation", "Edu-tainment". All that does is get on my wick.

Chillax.

Say it with me,

Chillax.

For people who dont have time to say relax and chill in the same sentence.

Where I come from they're called "Dickheads".
"Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines."
-Enzo Ferrari
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

I haven't even heard "Triangulation' or "Edu-tainment" and I haven't lived anywhere but America. But it wouldn't surprise me really. Agreed with its stupidity though. Guesstimation is so stupid that just mentioning it makes me stupidder. Stupiddle... stupiddy... STTUPELD
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
coops

Post by coops »

-Enzo Ferrari
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

coops wrote:
Debaser wrote:Its like those horrible American terms, things like "Triangulation", "Edu-tainment". All that does is get on my wick.

Chillax.

Say it with me,

Chillax.

For people who dont have time to say relax and chill in the same sentence.

Where I come from they're called "Dickheads".

Americans prefer the term "douchebag," but we get where you're coming from.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

A reject saying is anyone British who calls football "Footy". Anyone who does that should be hung, drawn and quartered. I'd say the same about people who call it soccer, if I had not read yesterday the game was called "Soccer" when the first set of rules were drawn up in the 19th century.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

If this thread is going to divert from F1 then allow me to demonstrate my pure hatred for the current crop of sayings in welsh culture:

"Oh....whats occurrin"
If anyone hasn't heard of this then you are truly blessed, I wont describe what show its from because your more likely to watch it and think its brilliant, just like the zombies who have "lives"

I'm in form of managment in any form of workplace, but I sometimes get the recognition "Alright Boss" or "thanks boss" when I leave, swear to god, next time I get an "Alright Boss" im going to ask him to do some work for me, without pay, UNISON and GMB cant crack down on me because I'm not a business.

an da wusrt fing iz peepl typin lyk dis
(and the worst thing is people typing like this)
with an ow
(instead of oh)
mutch lyke "OW WOTZ OCCURIN"
(much like "oh whats occuring")

Dan Ashcroft was right, The Idiots are winning
Richie James had a tattoo with the words "Useless Generation", he was one or two generations out.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

ADx_Wales wrote:If this thread is going to divert from F1 then allow me to demonstrate my pure hatred for the current crop of sayings in welsh culture:

an da wusrt fing iz peepl typin lyk dis
(and the worst thing is people typing like this)

That should be a legally-acceptable reason to murder somebody. A typo is a typo; intentionally misspelling is bathplugging stupid for bathplugging bathpluggers.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
coops

Post by coops »

RejectSteve wrote:That should be a legally-acceptable reason to murder somebody. A typo is a typo; intentionally misspelling is bathplugging stupid for bathplugging bathpluggers.

Wy U playa h8ting? :lol:
-Enzo Ferrari
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

coops wrote:
RejectSteve wrote:That should be a legally-acceptable reason to murder somebody. A typo is a typo; intentionally misspelling is bathplugging stupid for bathplugging bathpluggers.

Seriously? Seriously?
coops

Post by coops »

thehemogoblin wrote:
coops wrote:

Seriously? Seriously?

No.
-Enzo Ferrari
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

It's like the prospects of Lewis Hamilton winning another World Championship or Nelson Piquet actually buying a seat in F1 for next year:

Something so serious, so egregious, that nobody can even joke about it.
coops

Post by coops »

thehemogoblin wrote:It's like the prospects of Lewis Hamilton winning another World Championship or Nelson Piquet actually buying a seat in F1 for next year:

Whys that?
-Enzo Ferrari
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

coops wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:It's like the prospects of Lewis Hamilton winning another World Championship or Nelson Piquet actually buying a seat in F1 for next year:

Whys that?

There's two reasons:

1.) Everyone here uses good grammar as a measure of respect to the other readers, especially those who are not native speakers of English. It's hard enough to interpret a foreign language when it's used correctly, let alone when it's bastardized.

2.) I'm a copy editor at the University of Oregon's campus newspaper. Incorrect use of the English language kills me inside.
coops

Post by coops »

thehemogoblin wrote:There's two reasons:

1.) Everyone here uses good grammar as a measure of respect to the other readers, especially those who are not native speakers of English. It's hard enough to interpret a foreign language when it's used correctly, let alone when it's bastardized.

2.) I'm a copy editor at the University of Oregon's campus newspaper. Incorrect use of the English language kills me inside.

If you read back the thread you will, hopefully, see that my post was in context with some of the other posts regarding abbreviated words and slang. Also, the use of the 'Laugh Out Loud' icon (not 'LOL' all things considered) at then end of it was to indicate the levity of it.
-Enzo Ferrari
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

coops wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:There's two reasons:

If you read back the thread you will, hopefully, see that my post was in context with some of the other posts regarding abbreviated words and slang. Also, the use of the 'Laugh Out Loud' icon (not 'LOL' all things considered) at then end of it was to indicate the levity of it.

Oh, I know. Every now and then I just feel like I have to grammar nazi all over everyone.
coops

Post by coops »

thehemogoblin wrote:Oh, I know. Every now and then I just feel like I have to grammar nazi all over everyone.

You might want to have a look at the grammar in that post then.
-Enzo Ferrari
madcat

Post by madcat »

coops wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:Oh, I know. Every now and then I just feel like I have to grammar nazi all over everyone.

:lol: So everyone gets their "best english" out now...

I just hate this latest BBC commentator, I can't even be bothered learning his name. "From Brawn, from Brawn, from Ferrari, from..." What is that? I'll tell you. It's sh*te, that's what it is. Sir, you are an idiot!

I do like the over usage of the expression: "For sure, for sure". "For sure, they have the best car...". Mainly used by foreign drivers. It's not a translation from a foreign language either, from Italians to Germans use it.
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
Gilles27

Post by Gilles27 »

madcat wrote:
coops wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:I do like the over usage of the expression: "For sure, for sure". "For sure, they have the best car...". Mainly used by foreign drivers. It's not a translation from a foreign language either, from Italians to Germans use it.

Have you seen this http://www.f1network.net/main/s169/st144351.htm?

I hated James Allen as a commentator, but I love his blog now. I also liked him as a pit-lane reporter. One of the many things that annoyed me about him was when he said a driver was "monstering" his car? Eh? :evil:
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Talking about corner numbers and why I don't like them, this is shown with the circuit changes for this year's Bahrain Grand Prix. Old turn 8 is now turn 17 etc.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Dont diss the ledge, he's better than what we had. And if repeating team names is unintelligent commentary, murray used to do that too, especially in touring cars
coops

Post by coops »

madcat wrote:
coops wrote:

:lol: So everyone gets their "best english" out now...

Afraid so. It didnt warn you about that when you signed up for the forum did it?
-Enzo Ferrari
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

I don't know whether it has been mentioned somewhere else before, but last year, within the last 30 secs of Q3, without fail, Legard would say "They're coming in thick and fast". If I remember correctly, he said this in all but about 2 of last years Q3. It became a game for me to try to spot it!
coops

Post by coops »

I think I prefer James Allen to Legard. Legard seems like hes talking to himself. Allen sounded more personal.
-Enzo Ferrari
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Any time anybody completed a qualifying, you could count on Legard saying, "That'll do," or words to that effect, no matter how well they did. One particularly glaring example was in Singapore during Q2, I believe; Jenson Button had put in a time that was quite subpar, Legard says, "That'll do." Mere moments later, along comes Vettel to put in a lap about 2 or 3 seconds faster than Jenson's. Brundle then went and completely contradicted Legard, saying quite rightly that Jenson's time wasn't fast enough. After that incident, I'm now convinced that Legard is a robot programmed with only a few base sayings and terrible programming; nothing else can explain the dumb blandness that he provides.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually miss James Allen; even if he was horribly biased, at least you could tell he was human.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

thehemogoblin wrote:1.) Everyone here uses good grammar as a measure of respect to the other readers, especially those who are not native speakers of English. It's hard enough to interpret a foreign language when it's used correctly, let alone when it's bastardized.

Hear, hear. In fact, I only use slang to confuse Phoenix every now and then. :lol:

(sorry mate!)
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:1.) Everyone here uses good grammar as a measure of respect to the other readers, especially those who are not native speakers of English. It's hard enough to interpret a foreign language when it's used correctly, let alone when it's bastardized.

Hear, hear. In fact, I only use slang to confuse Phoenix every now and then. :lol:

(sorry mate!)

Whazzat, a mon be sayin we be not allow'd to talk wit da slangs? Dat be bathplug'd up mon!

(God i love the rastafari-accent)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

I'm going to wade in to this one with my pet peeve - the Trulli train. Ugh. Such a terrible phenomenon, made worse last season as I heard it used with nothing to do with Trulli. Something like 'And here comes Nick Heidfeld at the front of the Trulli Train'. Such a lazy cop out of a comment.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

Trains, Trulli or otherwise, pale in comparison to the GROUILLARD train that he created at Montreal in 1990, I just wish there was footage of it.
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

Shinji, I so agree with you about the 'Trulli train'. In fact, one of my comments in the rantbox refers to that very saying. In fact: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=533&p=13777#p13762
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

ADx_Wales wrote:Trains, Trulli or otherwise, pale in comparison to the GROUILLARD train that he created at Montreal in 1990, I just wish there was footage of it.

In my 1990 review book of the year, I remember this was described as something like "There was the extraordinary sight of Grouillard in the Osella veering all over the teack, with four or five cars dodging this way and that to try and get past the wide Italian car".
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

DonTirri wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

(sorry mate!)

Whazzat, a mon be sayin we be not allow'd to talk wit da slangs? Dat be bathplug'd up mon!

(God i love the rastafari-accent)

Only when it's humorous...
ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

We've got a good package.

Meaning: i'm allowed to drive the pants off this car that will not fall apart, my team mate has also got good car but he's not allowed to beat me, everybodys happy, except the fans.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:

(sorry mate!)

I'm sorry to say to you that you're failing miserably, you bumba clot*
*God I don't know why I used such a stupid term