The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Alextrax52

Re: The 2014 Spanish Grand Prix Thread

Post by Alextrax52 »

Oh lovely stuff from Seb
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

Wow. This is extremely boring. And I don't see this going to be any more interesting.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

GerhardTalger wrote:Wow. This is extremely boring. And I don't see this going to be any more interesting.

Wow the Mercs are a pitstop clear after just 12 laps. We need a 3 team battle at least
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

very early stop for Vettel- Red Bull wanted to release him to the back runners???
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Bo77as must be 2-stopping. Hopefully, if Ricciardo is 3-stopping, the Finn can get on the podium! :)
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Not exactly a lose lose today - Bottas Podium Very Happy. Riccardo Podium- Very Happy.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Very interesting radio reply from Hamilton.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Some good overtaking from Seb. I hope this shows everyone his traffic skills aren't that bad
Gerudo Dragon

Post by Gerudo Dragon »

Most likeable driver 4th :D
Trump 2016
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

First time all year a team other than Mercedes has come 1st in something (Vettel scored fastest lap).

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

An impressive performance from Roman Grosjean, dragging that car up to 5th in qualifying and holding on for some points in the race. I'm a little disappointed for Rosberg - I really expected him to take Hamilton at the end.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I have to get Sky Sports ASAP after the return of EJ. Isn't it odd how the BBC have shown no podium interviews whatsoever this year except for today's?

Obviously I have to get Sky Sports now anyway to see the Monaco GP, but the BBC coverage has driven me insane. 25 minutes of post-race coverage? (including all the podium business)
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Can I remind people Maldonado still has more wins than Grosjean and Hulkenberg combined? :mrgreen:

Still, it's getting frustrating seeing him waste chance after chance. It's making it difficult to be a Maldonado supporter at the moment. :(

Very meh race, apart from the the final few laps. Still, I'd take Mercedes domination over Vettel domination any day of the week...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Great to see Dan Ricciardo finally get his first podium. That will be a weight off his back and I think Red Bull might actually fancy their chances in Monaco. Weird stuff can happen and its all about the low speed cornering there. Red Bull won't have to worry so much about their engine deficit.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rusujuur

Post by Rusujuur »

East Londoner wrote:Can I remind people Maldonado still has more wins than Grosjean and Hulkenberg combined? :mrgreen:

Hmm.. Never saw it this way. Oh the pain.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Bit disappointed Bianchi got the better of Chilton, especially as, I think, Chiltons fastest lap was the quickest. Never mind, at least they both finished. Shame for Caterham, I thought they'd beat Marussia.
Just For One Day...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

CoopsII wrote:Bit disappointed Bianchi got the better of Chilton, especially as, I think, Chiltons fastest lap was the quickest. Never mind, at least they both finished. Shame for Caterham, I thought they'd beat Marussia.

According to this Chilton did a three stop strategy as opposed to a two-stop for Bianchi, so that's expected.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

wsrgo wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Bit disappointed Bianchi got the better of Chilton, especially as, I think, Chiltons fastest lap was the quickest. Never mind, at least they both finished. Shame for Caterham, I thought they'd beat Marussia.

According to this Chilton did a three stop strategy as opposed to a two-stop for Bianchi, so that's expected.

Thanks for that, maybe it was mentioned but I missed it in any case :D
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

pasta_maldonado wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
tristan1117 wrote:I wasn't able to watch qualifying because of a track meet.
That's no excuse. I was at Brands Hatch today for a Mini Festival and I watched qualifying - 2 TVs, one showing Sky, the other showing BBC, and I had BBC R5 Live in my ear. Plus one of the racers in his racesuit was following the TV coverage as well...

Surprised you wasn't on uni placement, baker. :P

Nah, that won't be until July and August... But it was worth going to the Mini Festival in my Mini. I had the opportunity to drive 3 laps of the Indy configuration in a Mini parade. Limited to max. 50 mph, but first time that I've been onto a dedicated race track. Driving the Manx TT track and the Col de Turini rally stage were great, but this was something else. Really want to go and do a proper track day now...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Hamilton's statements that he's 'struggling' sound somewhat familiar...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dragonsteincole

Post by dragonsteincole »

Salamander wrote:Hamilton's statements that he's 'struggling' sound somewhat familiar...

I wish he would get punched by an onlooker, every single radio message from him was moaning about one thing or the other or just moaning at his race engineer. For someone who's doing pretty bloody well this year he looks like a miserable sod most of the time.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Benson wrote this pearl of F1 knowledge based on what I can only call as 'facts':

Andrew Benson wrote:And then as now, the out-and-out fastest driver of the era was in one of the cars, and quickly established himself as the championship favourite.
Hamilton finds himself in the Senna role; Rosberg the Prost, a driver not as exceptionally gifted but who, on the occasions he can get the car set-up to his liking, is able to challenge and sometimes beat his opponent.

This was to draw parallelism with Senna and Prost in the 80s. The only educated comment I can make is that we were lucky. Imagine if Prost was actually 'exceptionally gifted'. He would have probably won all the titles whenever his car was remotely competitive. Even in 91. Because 4 titles is certainly the maximum achievable by someone who can only get the set-up on occ... Sorry, I refuse to further commentate on this. :x
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dragonsteincole wrote:
Salamandein men wrote:Hamilton's statements that he's 'struggling' sound somewhat familiar...

I wish he would get punched by an onlooker, every single radio message from him was moaning about one thing or the other or just moaning at his race engineer. For someone who's doing pretty bloody well this year he looks like a miserable sod most of the time.

Yeah, what was that all about? The cynic in me wonders if that was to downplay the dominance that the Mercs have clearly got. Perhaps they're wary of the negativity Red Bull attracted by being very good at Formula 1 (how very dare they!).
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Can't believe no-one's mentioned it until now, but we have our third unrejectification of the season. Congrats to Valtteri Bottas, whose 5th place moved him out of Reject status. Good on the lad.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:Benson wrote this pearl of F1 knowledge based on what I can only call as 'facts':

Andrew Benson wrote:And then as now, the out-and-out fastest driver of the era was in one of the cars, and quickly established himself as the championship favourite.
Hamilton finds himself in the Senna role; Rosberg the Prost, a driver not as exceptionally gifted but who, on the occasions he can get the car set-up to his liking, is able to challenge and sometimes beat his opponent.

This was to draw parallelism with Senna and Prost in the 80s. The only educated comment I can make is that we were lucky. Imagine if Prost was actually 'exceptionally gifted'. He would have probably won all the titles whenever his car was remotely competitive. Even in 91. Because 4 titles is certainly the maximum achievable by someone who can only get the set-up on occ... Sorry, I refuse to further commentate on this. :x

Whilst I think that the comment was meant to imply that Rosberg does not have the raw performance capacity of Hamilton, I do agree that Benson's comment undercuts the ability of both Prost and Rosberg (for what it is worth, I don't think that Rosberg is that much slower than Hamilton).

Furthermore, to be honest the relationship between Hamilton and Rosberg, plus between those drivers and the team, is rather different to Prost and Senna - for a start, Rosberg and Hamilton have spent a large chunk of their junior careers competing with, and working with, each other, leading to a (currently) much more cordial relationship than Prost and Senna seemed to have had during their time together. I know that, with Senna's legacy being so high profile this year, that the temptation to recall that old clash - particularly given Hamilton's public wish to try to match what Senna achieved - is considerable, but the dynamics are just not the same as in the 1980's.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

DanielPT wrote:Benson wrote this pearl of F1 knowledge based on what I can only call as 'facts':

F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

dragonsteincole wrote:
Salamander wrote:Hamilton's statements that he's 'struggling' sound somewhat familiar...

I see this as mind games, frankly. "If he's able to win while struggling with the car, imagine what he can do when he's totally confortable with it!" -- is what he probably wants Rosberg to think
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

[Editor's Note: The post of the user Klon responding to the quote in DanielPT's post has been removed due to being an incoherent clutter of rage and death threats]
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

East Londoner wrote:Can't believe no-one's mentioned it until now, but we have our third unrejectification of the season. Congrats to Valtteri Bottas, whose 5th place moved him out of Reject status. Good on the lad.

I find it pretty difficult to follow whose been unrejectified these days due to the points system being different. There are lots of drivers that are still in reject status that I don't see as rejects because they get points every now and then; Vergne is probably the one that springs to mind first. Given the current age of reliability it is pretty difficult to judge rejectdom between eras, it is that much harder to get a 4th/5th/6th now than it was in the 1990s and previous

How lazy is this journalism? Yes, Hamilton has more raw speed than Rosberg but that is where the similarities end. If you're going to compare anyone to Prost, make it Button. As for "sometimes" beating his opponent, Prost never failed to outscore his teammates over the course of his career (if no results are dropped). 1991 is the only season where he was comprehensively beaten by Senna.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

watka wrote:1991 is the only season where he was comprehensively beaten by Senna.

Which is no surprise given that the ferrari wasn't even close to the mclarens. And prost left before the season's end (missed two races?..or just one)
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

lgaquino wrote:
watka wrote:1991 is the only season where he was comprehensively beaten by Senna.

Which is no surprise given that the ferrari wasn't even close to the mclarens. And prost left before the season's end (missed two races?..or just one)

He was sacked with one race to go. However, he had DNS in Imola. His most rejectworthy event of his career:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cREfjN-BbAM
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Bleu wrote:
lgaquino wrote:

He was sacked with one race to go. However, he had DNS in Imola. His most rejectworthy event of his career:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cREfjN-BbAM

That's one of only 2 times i've ever seen footage of him losing control of a car, the other being Monaco '82.

The guy was phenomenal behind the wheel.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

FullMetalJack wrote:That's one of only 2 times i've ever seen footage of him losing control of a car, the other being Monaco '82.

The guy was phenomenal behind the wheel.

He also lost control in Brazil '93, although he was on the wrong tyres in heavy rain. Then again, it was almost as bad as at Imola. Checking his DNF record, he crashed in the wet in Estoril '85.

TomPryce wrote:Kvyat deserves a top drive more than others right now.

Then again, we probably would have said the same about Van de God... the Algesaurus...

I've been recording the fastest lap progression in every race so far and in both Malaysia and Bahrain, Kyvat set the provisional fastest lap just after pitting for new tyres. Given that he was driving the 7th/8th best car in the field at that, it suggests he's one of the fastest if not the fastest on the grid on new tyres. Some drivers such as the Force India drivers have done the same, but in faster cars and not as often. That might be Kvyat's greatest strength as a driver.
Last edited by good_Ralf on 14 May 2014, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

TomPryce

Post by TomPryce »

shinji wrote:Kvyat's good.

Kvyat deserves a top drive more than others right now.

Then again, we probably would have said the same about Van de God... the Algesaurus...
Remembering a Welsh sporting hero. Pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

That proves:

1) Kvyat is a boss at the wheel of an F1 car. Calm and collected. Which means he's on equal points with JEV.

2) Just how bad the Sauber is. Not much to say there.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:

That proves:

1) Kvyat is a boss at the wheel of an F1 car. Calm and collected. Which means he's on equal points with JEV.

True - whilst it is a bold move to have pulled off, it's also a sign of how Sauber are struggling if Kvyat could drive right around the outside of Gutierrez.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

go_Rubens wrote:

That proves:

Funny that you should say Kvyat is calm and collected at the wheel because there were plenty of reports in the early races that he was panicking to do all of his pre-race checks and wasn't comfortable with the complexity of an F1 steering wheel. It's true to say that he seems to have really good racing instinct though.