RIP Sir Jack Brabham

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

RIP Sir Jack Brabham

Post by Londoner »

Very sad news just coming in via Twitter is that Sir Jack Brabham, the three-time F1 World Champion and founder of the Brabham F1 team, passed away earlier today.

https://twitter.com/PeterMcKayWords/status/468146939360313344

RIP Jack, 1926-2014. :cry:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: RIP Sir Jack Brabham

Post by FullMetalJack »

Just read about this, very sad news.

RIP Jack
I like the way Snrub thinks!
the Masked Lapwing

Post by the Masked Lapwing »

This is terrible news :cry:

RIP Sir Jack.
R.I.P.
GM HOLDEN
1948-2017
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This is very sad news. RIP Jack, thoughts with his family and friends right now in this very sad time.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

That's tragic news, I was unaware that he was unwell, I was under the impression he was still getting about and doing things. He was a true piece of motorsport history, in every sense, and has left not only his own legacy on the sport, but that of his children and grandchildren.

It is important that as many stories, memories and anecdotes from the older generations are collected before it's too late. It won't be many years down the line before very few of the chaps from the 50s and 60s will be left and we need to make sure we remember them in the best possible way.

RIP Jack.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

A true legend of the sport, as a driver, team owner and father, RIP.
Message me on Discord.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

AndreaModa wrote:That's tragic news, I was unaware that he was unwell, I was under the impression he was still getting about and doing things.

Same here, I hadn't heard anything about it. Even despite his age, it still come as a shock.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

RIP Jack Brabham. Horrible bit of sudden news to hear and I'm saddened. Great driver, great man. Founder of probably my favourite ever F1 team hence why I'm temporarily changing my avatar to commemorate his achievements.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

RIP Sir Jack. The guy was an institution to Australian Motorsport and the wider global racing community who'll never be forgotten
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

RIP Sir Jack. He really helped to put Australia on the F1 map
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Very sad news, RIP.

AndreaModa wrote:It is important that as many stories, memories and anecdotes from the older generations are collected before it's too late. It won't be many years down the line before very few of the chaps from the 50s and 60s will be left and we need to make sure we remember them in the best possible way.

I echo that sentiment emphatically. As a history student it's horrible to think of stories left unwritten for eternity. Its why a site like this is so valuable, for collating the fascinating tales of otherwise easily-forgotten figures.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Here in Australia it was well-known that Sir Jack had been frail and unwell for a while, but still his passing has come as a shock, and the news has broken quickly. It is 10am Monday morning here on the east coast of Australia and apparently he passed away after an early breakfast this morning.

Sir Jack's place in world motorsport is slightly undervalued, IMHO, because he was not known as charismatic but was an engineer first and foremost. The fact that he was pivotal to the rear-engined revolution, a three-time world champion (with other near-misses in 1967 and 1970 that could have made him a five-time champion), and the only man to engineer his own championship winning car (a feat that has never and will probably never be repeated, even if you say "times are different"), makes him one of the true legends of F1.

Add to that the fact that he became the patriarch of a motor racing dynasty that rivals the Pettys, Unsers and Andrettis in America, with Geoff, Gary and David having all reached the heights of Indycars or F1 or sports car racing, and his legacy to Australian motorsport was perhaps even more important than the likes of Peter Brock.

I know he wasn't the first Australian to go to Europe but his success was undoubtedly an inspiration to those that followed - including Jones, Webber, Ricciardo.

Given how Bernie Ecclestone made his way in F1 via ownership of the Brabham team, is it also fair enough to say that without Sir Jack there would have been no Bernie?

RIP Sir Jack.

shinji wrote:Very sad news, RIP.

AndreaModa wrote:It is important that as many stories, memories and anecdotes from the older generations are collected before it's too late. It won't be many years down the line before very few of the chaps from the 50s and 60s will be left and we need to make sure we remember them in the best possible way.

I echo that sentiment emphatically. As a history student it's horrible to think of stories left unwritten for eternity. Its why a site like this is so valuable, for collating the fascinating tales of otherwise easily-forgotten figures.

Yes. And it's worth noting that with Sir Jack's passing, the two oldest living World Champions are John Surtees and, would you believe it, Sir Jackie Stewart.
FantometteBR

Post by FantometteBR »

RIP Sir Jack. Too bad his legacy isn't much around apart one or other thing but his past legacy still survives through story
Bertrand Gachot, Pacific, Connew and Piercarlo Ghinzani's No.1 Fan

1995 Rejects-1 World Champion with Driver (Julio Vaca) and Team (V.I.D.A.) - Because the first time you can never forget
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Rest in peace, Sir Jack. :cry:

At least he lived much longer than many of his contemporaries.
W12

Post by W12 »

Terrible news. R.I.P, Sir Jack
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

RIP Sir Jack, not my favourite driver of the 60s by any means, he wasn't known as "Black Jack" for no reason. He had a reputation as uncompromising at least on track.
Main memories would be him sliding into the barriers at the very last corner at Monaco 1970, handing the race to Rindt's Lotus 49. (He recovered to finish 2nd) & hobbling down the grid at one race with walking sticks & fake beard in response to jibes about his age, leading Murray to say "The bearded driver is quite beyond my recognition"
Can't imagine that happening now.

Condolences to his family & friends.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yup, sad news but what an innings the lad had. A legend has left us but the memories will live on.
Just For One Day...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

RIP Jack. A one-of-a-kind driver. And a successful one at that too.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Very sad news. What a driver.

R.I.P Sir Jack
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

RIP Jack, he was a true great of the sport and had a massive influence on all Australian motorsport.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

R.I.P., Sir Jack. One of the last men that raced in the 60s and lived to tell about it, a true living legend.
May his legacy continue.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Literally just found out about this on the news ticker at the Sports Centre. Even though he has passed at the age of 88, I'm still in shock. Everything has already been said about him.

RIP Sir Jack. A true legend of the sport.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

Incredibly sad and sudden news indeed. An inspiration to many, RIP Sir Jack.
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

A very sad day for the sport we love.

I was very fortunate to meet Sir Jack around 10 years ago, and will cherish that moment for the rest of my life. Seemed like a terrific person, both on and off the track. Always made time for the fans, and I hope his achievements will be more recognised in Australia with our other great athletes (sadly late though)

RIP Sir Jack

Eytl, I agree with Bernie and Brabham, but you would imagine that he would be involved someway or another! Also, Ron Dennis was Brabham's mechanic at his team, so his influence still involved in the sport today
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Just woke up to this news, came as a bit of a shock, I'd completely forgotten that he was 88, probably because he was racing as "recently" as 1970 (in itself probably a testament to how quick he was at 44).

RIP

Couldn't agree more with this
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

RIP Jack Brabham. One of the drivers who has been a much bigger success than is documented. Its easy for history to remember him for being the first/only driver to win the title in a car he built (can you imagine that happening now?) but he was a great driver regardless.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Very sad news today. Certainly an inspiration towards Motorsport and Australia. RIP
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

RIP Sir Jack. It is very sad news. He is one of my favorite championship winning drivers of all time. It is a great achievement that he won in a car he engineered and I think it is quite underrated...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

This was something I was not expecting to hear today. It's really sad, one of the best drivers and the only to have won an World Champioship in his oen built car. That will remain forever as the only man who did it

RIP Sir Jack.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
mario

Post by mario »

There was one excellent story recounted by one news reporter today, which was a story passed on to him through Jackie Stewart - Brabham was giving a few drivers a lift to one circuit when the car was stopped by a policeman. Naturally, the policeman leaned in and said to Brabham "Who do you think you are - Sterling Moss?", to which Brabham reportedly replied "No, because he's sitting in the back seat."

As others have said, whilst it is sad to hear of his passing today, at least he has left a fantastic legacy behind him and had a long and successful career.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

mario wrote:

There was one excellent story recounted by one news reporter today, which was a story passed on to him through Jackie Stewart - Brabham was giving a few drivers a lift to one circuit when the car was stopped by a policeman. Naturally, the policeman leaned in and said to Brabham "Who do you think you are - Sterling Moss?", to which Brabham reportedly replied "No, because he's sitting in the back seat."

As others have said, whilst it is sad to hear of his passing today, at least he has left a fantastic legacy behind him and had a long and successful career.

It's hard to believe that Brabham got pulled over for anything more than a routine check. Brabham was such a safe driver on public roads that Tony Brooks once forced his way behind the wheel because Brabham refused to overtake some lorries!

I knew this day would come, but I always hoped it would be later. Good bye, Black Jack.

And to think he last appeared publicly yesterday...
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

tommykl wrote:
mario wrote:There was one excellent story recounted by one news reporter today, which was a story passed on to him through Jackie Stewart - Brabham was giving a few drivers a lift to one circuit when the car was stopped by a policeman. Naturally, the policeman leaned in and said to Brabham "Who do you think you are - Sterling Moss?", to which Brabham reportedly replied "No, because he's sitting in the back seat."

It's hard to believe that Brabham got pulled over for anything more than a routine check. Brabham was such a safe driver on public roads that Tony Brooks once forced his way behind the wheel because Brabham refused to overtake some lorries!

I knew this day would come, but I always hoped it would be later. Good bye, Black Jack.

Yeah, something about this story is odd (without wanting to doubt mario): it sounds too much like a similar story about Ayrton Senna, where he was asked whether he thinks he's Ayrton Senna.

Aside from my unneeded cynicism, it is truly a loss for the motorsport world. Let's celebrate the legacy of a true legend of motorsport.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Shame I wasn't around when he was racing, but I've seen enough footage to know that he was one of the greats. RIP Sir Jack.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Klon wrote:
tommykl wrote:
mario wrote:There was one excellent story recounted by one news reporter today, which was a story passed on to him through Jackie Stewart - Brabham was giving a few drivers a lift to one circuit when the car was stopped by a policeman. Naturally, the policeman leaned in and said to Brabham "Who do you think you are - Sterling Moss?", to which Brabham reportedly replied "No, because he's sitting in the back seat."

Yeah, something about this story is odd (without wanting to doubt mario): it sounds too much like a similar story about Ayrton Senna, where he was asked whether he thinks he's Ayrton Senna.

Aside from my unneeded cynicism, it is truly a loss for the motorsport world. Let's celebrate the legacy of a true legend of motorsport.

I saw a version where Stirling Moss is asked if he's Stirling Moss, and the guy needs some convincing before he believes him....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

A true legend of the world of motorsport. Sir Jack Brabham in my view is one of the best all timers. He managed to win the championship in a car he built, which will very likely never be repeated again. He was still competitive in his mid 40s, something many drivers weren't. He was even at the Goodwood revival 10 years ago, and IIRC, he drove an old Cooper there. He was a true hero for Australian motorsport, as well as motorsport everywhere.

RIP Sir Jack Brabham.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

Rest in peace Sir Jack. Truly one of the greats.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

RIP Sir Jack :( He's definitely the Australian pioneer for F1 drivers.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Klon wrote:Yeah, something about this story is odd (without wanting to doubt mario): it sounds too much like a similar story about Ayrton Senna, where he was asked whether he thinks he's Ayrton Senna.

Ive begun to think that story's an F1 urban myth as Im sure I read a Schumacher themed version during the mid nineties. Perhaps it has its origins with the Moss story.

Anyway, here's a nice statement from Webber...

http://www.markwebber.com/marks-stateme ... k-brabham/

I smiled at this comment...
He provided me with endless support and advice over the years and became a close confidante - even right up until the last couple of years when, after hearing the rumours that I might move to Ferrari, he told me he would be very disappointed if I went there because for him, it was the absolute betrayal because they were his motivation – the ones he wanted to beat in his day!
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I came back from a day out in Sheffield over the weekend to be greeted with this news on the way back.

What I was trying to find yesterday was one of Jim Bamber's cartoons, drawn after a legend of motorsport had died - it involved a laurel wreath being placed with a pile of other wreaths for other drivers who had been and gone - Jim Clark, Juan Manuel Fangio, Jochen Rindt and so on. Some of the wreaths were distinctively decorated - the one that just said "Mike" had a bow tie on it, so we all knew it was for Mike Hawthorn. But there was another wreath with "Jack"... and there was only one Jack we could think of who it might be fore and were all thinking "er, Jim, you do know Sir Jack Brabham's still alive, don't you?"

Ultimately, though, Sir Jack's had a fine innings - and has just lived to see the 20th anniversary of Imola's Black Weekend that saw the death of another three-time World Champion, as well as his son's team-mate. Those are some strange coincidences there.

And as for being the only World Champion ever to have won in his own car - well, I don't think you're going to change that, do you, Mr Pentecost?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Klon wrote:
tommykl wrote:It's hard to believe that Brabham got pulled over for anything more than a routine check. Brabham was such a safe driver on public roads that Tony Brooks once forced his way behind the wheel because Brabham refused to overtake some lorries!

I saw a version where Stirling Moss is asked if he's Stirling Moss, and the guy needs some convincing before he believes him....

In the version I know, Senna was asked if he thought himself to be Nigel Mansell.

Dying at 88, at home, still able to leave home just the day before, during breakfast, and after a long and successful life... that's terrific, I want that way of dying for me, where do I have to sign? I feel sorry for his wife and family, but when people leave that way I feel no sorrow, as death is the necessary and unavoidable end of life.

RIP Sir Jack, your achievements will always be remembered.
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!