The 2014 'Max For 25' Monaco Grand Prix Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Jocke1

The 2014 'Max For 25' Monaco Grand Prix Thread

Post by Jocke1 »

ImageImage
ImageImage

This is it, people. The moment the civilized world has been waiting for.
Will our Max be able to make it to a quarter of a century?

Marcus Ericsson
Every lap counts on Friday and Saturday.

Pastor Maldonado
I really love Monaco.

Kevin Magnussen
My World Series race in Monaco last year was a bit of a missed opportunity.

Kamui Kobayashi
Even though we only tested for one day in Spain, we still achieved a lot there.

Adrian Sutil
I have good memories from the races in Monte Carlo as I collected some points almost every year.

Nick Chester
Monaco is a bit of a strange place.

PRACTICE 1 in:
02 Days - 03 Hours - 16 Minutes ...
-*:-
Shizuka

Re: The 2014 'Max For 25' Monaco Grand Prix Thread

Post by Shizuka »

Jocke1 wrote:Marcus Ericsson

Did he really say that? :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rain is forecast for Sunday...
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Who's Nick Chester?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

CoopsII wrote:Rain is forecast for Sunday...

Oh cool, so we get to see the race delayed for an hour then just have half of it behind the safety car.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
W12

Post by W12 »

dr-baker wrote:Who's Nick Chester?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nick+chester+f1
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

Oh cool, so we get to see the race delayed for an hour then just have half of it behind the safety car.

Not me. One of the benefits of being a BBC viewer over here is that they just go ahead and edit all that crap out :D
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

W12 wrote:

That doesn't work on Brunel Uni's computers... :roll:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

You might know what "The Google" is, surely? It's like Altavista, but better...

Anyway, he's the technical director of Lotus.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

dr-baker wrote:
W12 wrote:

You shouldn't be on the forums when you have lectures to attend and assignments to be doing. Stop giving a bad example to the young 'uns here. ;)
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
pasta_maldonado
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pasta_maldonado »

dr-baker wrote:
W12 wrote:

It appears one is having trouble grasping the simple premise of a quite hilarious joke another of our loyal membership has cared to share with us. Luckily, help is at hand to ease your burden

Upon your asking for the exact life story of a certain Mr N. Chester, the whole world audibly sighed. You see, by asking this fine bunch of fellows 'Say, who exactly is this fine Chester fellow?', you have committed yourself to waiting until someone who can be bothered to spare time to deal with such a silly request pulled out his keyboard and typed a sentence. Now, this could take quite a bit of time in the grand scheme of things.

As a man who is constantly finding himself whisked away from the pleasures of life by the necessity of uni placement, day and night, without a second to spare for anything else, you can agree with my assessment that time for yourself, dr-baker, is of the essence. As our esteemed brother W12 so facetiously pointed out to your busy self, would it have been so much easier to simply, search the all knowing oracle that is Google for it yourself? It seems like the logical conclusion to me. Maybe it is because of your general computer illiteracy that makes you totally incapable of accessing our very own Alternate Universe wiki that made it absolutely impossible for you to search Google for the information you so desired. Maybe you had but 10 seconds to spare whilst on placement, and could only type those 3 words before you were once again yanked back into the system. Alas, we may never know.

And yet I wonder - You have been able to gain the skills to access these hallowed pages and read, quote, and reply to messages, so pray tell, what makes searching Google and/or going on the wiki so much harder?
Klon wrote:more liek Nick Ass-idy amirite?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Some people think I am on placement, when my placement earlier in the year (January and February) was only 8 weeks long, as stated at the time?

And if a person quotes somebody who I haven't heard of, I feel the most reliable source of information is that person themselves. Is the internet accessed via Google really as reliable and trustworthy as it seems? When I did Google, it was mostly social media links that appeared on the first half-page of Goggle searches. Hardly useful. Particularly when another of the first page searches was this...
MCard LOLA
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

which means it won't appear now. And even if we did it would be nearly dry anyway before the driers are even allowed anywhere near it. :roll:
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:Some people think I am on placement, when my placement earlier in the year (January and February) was only 8 weeks long, as stated at the time?

And if a person quotes somebody who I haven't heard of, I feel the most reliable source of information is that person themselves. Is the internet accessed via Google really as reliable and trustworthy as it seems? When I did Google, it was mostly social media links that appeared on the first half-page of Goggle searches. Hardly useful. Particularly when another of the first page searches was this...

I didnt know who Nick Chester was either, dr baker, so Im happy to be included in the patronising crap posted above.
Just For One Day...
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Some people think I am on placement, when my placement earlier in the year (January and February) was only 8 weeks long, as stated at the time?

I didnt know who Nick Chester was either, dr baker, so Im happy to be included in the patronising crap posted above.

Count me as another who didn't know who he was! There's just no need for the rubbish posted above, no need at all. I thought those members were better than that. Sad really.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

In other news :?
FIA press conference schedule
Wednesday, May 21, 1500 hours local time (1400 GMT)
Jules Bianchi (Marussia), Valtteri Bottas (Williams), Romain Grosjean (Lotus), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso)

Thursday, May 22, 1600 hours local time (1500 GMT)
Eric Boullier (McLaren), Federico Gastaldi (Lotus), Christian Horner (Red Bull), Marco Mattiacci (Ferrari), Claire Williams (Williams), Toto Wolff (Mercedes)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Shizuka wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:Marcus Ericsson

Did he really say that? :mrgreen:

Yes.

The full quote is;
It's about giving ourselves the best chance to take advantage of anything that happens on track in quali and the race so that means making every lap count on Friday and Saturday.

I don't know what kind of laps Mr. Ericsson was thinking of doing on Friday, but it won't be in his CT05 that is for sure.

Marcus just keeps on giving us little golden nuggets like this. His head must be in the clouds a lot, also don't forget when he said during
the pre-season that more people had walked on the moon than raced in Formula 1;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6790&start=40#p297787
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

AndreaModa wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Count me as another who didn't know who he was! There's just no need for the rubbish posted above, no need at all. I thought those members were better than that. Sad really.

I think you're misinterpreting the intent of pasta's post - I think he's more frustrated that baker is apparently too lazy to figure out how to use a search engine or common sense, than outraged over not knowing who Nick Chester is. I don't know who he is either, but given that the top result on Google for 'nick chester' is for images of a man wearing Lotus apparel, and that he has provided a quote for the Monaco GP, I don't think it's too much of a leap in logic to guess that he has some sort of senior technical position with the team.

dr-baker wrote:Is the internet accessed via Google really as reliable and trustworthy as it seems?

YES! Google is as successful as it is because, the vast majority of the time, it gets you the answer you're looking for. If it didn't, then nobody would use it. Simples.

dr-baker wrote:When I did Google, it was mostly social media links that appeared on the first half-page of Goggle searches. Hardly useful.

The first result gives the answer you are looking for. The first result. Even if that text wasn't there, and for whatever reason you can't see the images there, on the second half of the first page you have FIVE results telling you who Nick Chester is.
Next time, try and actually read the results Google gives you.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Turbogirl

Post by Turbogirl »

In all those comments you've listed, Jocke1, I'm missing Nelson Piquet stating: "Driving in Monaco is like flying a helicopter in your living room". (At least I think it was Piquet who said that. Him or Lauda...)

That quote would have also spared us the entire "who is Nick Chester" debate. :)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote:Next time, try and actually read the results Google gives you.

Being as this is another just form of social networking I dont think its unreasonable to ask a fellow forumite a question about someone mentioned in a post without facing a barrage of what I can only describe as 'complete cuntery'. I thought conversations were allowed on here? I shall have to keep a close eye on what I post in future. Amd what other people post too.
Just For One Day...
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Turbogirl wrote:In all those comments you've listed, Jocke1, I'm missing Nelson Piquet stating: "Driving in Monaco is like flying a helicopter in your living room". (At least I think it was Piquet who said that. Him or Lauda...)

That is a good one. I have also heard 'riding a bicycle in your living room'.

However, those quotes I listed above have all been made this week, it was never my intention to include ones from the past.
And I already regret mentioning Nick Chester :oops:
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

CoopsII wrote:

Being as this is another just form of social networking I dont think its unreasonable to ask a fellow forumite a question about someone mentioned in a post without facing a barrage of what I can only describe as 'complete cuntery'. I thought conversations were allowed on here? I shall have to keep a close eye on what I post in future. Amd what other people post too.

Okay Coops, we'll have it your way.

Everytime I have a question, instead of just googling the answer I'm going to send it straight to your inbox. Hopefully you won't change your mind that simple questions like "who the f*ck is Nick Chester" are not "unreasonable".

Actually, I'll ask you all of the questions I have now, right here. I hope it's not too unreasonable to expect answers for all of them, even though I could just Google them?

What does it mean when a pub is a "free house"?
What is the name of that musical instrument that's like a mini-keyboard but you blow into it?
How do I make a bechamel sauce?
Why did the onion soup I made a few weeks ago taste so bitter?
Why are New Order called "New Order"?
What's the name for the spaces between the spiky bits on a comb?
Why didn't the Atari Jaguar have a door on the cartridge slot?
Where can I buy a Captain Morgan glass?
What's the Wetherspoon's special deal for food on a Thursday?
How does a QFD diagram actually function?
What was the actual meaning to the end of The Shining?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Jocke1 wrote:
Turbogirl wrote:In all those comments you've listed, Jocke1, I'm missing Nelson Piquet stating: "Driving in Monaco is like flying a helicopter in your living room". (At least I think it was Piquet who said that. Him or Lauda...)

Piquet did describe Monaco as 'like driving a bicycle around your living room'. Full quote here as read by James Allen.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Turbogirl

Post by Turbogirl »

good_Ralf wrote:
Jocke1 wrote:

Piquet did describe Monaco as 'like driving a bicycle around your living room'. Full quote here as read by James Allen.

Huh, weird. Somehow here in Germany Piquet's comment was always quoted as "flying a helicopter in your living room". I wonder how that happened...? :)
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Ataxia wrote: How do I make a bechamel sauce?

Honestly Ataxia, if your onion soup skills are that poor (simple dish), I wouldn't recommend you try your hand at bechamel sauce.
In fact, stay out of the kitchen altogether would be my plead to you.
Bechamel sauce is very easy to burn on the bottom even for sauce vets.
And by your text above you come off to me as a sauce rook.

No, I'd suggest you instead befriend or hire a chef, or check if your neighbour already has made some bechamel sauce and can help
you to the left-overs, or indeed call your mom so that she can make some for you (moms are generally great at sauces), or
find a great bechamel sauce store, or better yet just go for the much tastier choice of bearnaise sauce.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

rachel1990 wrote:

which means it won't appear now. And even if we did it would be nearly dry anyway before the driers are even allowed anywhere near it. :roll:

Thanks for dampening our hopes
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I too had never heard of Nick Chester. Could it be why Lotus is rubbish this year? If 90% of this forum hasn't heard of you, that's not a good sign.....
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Jocke1 wrote:
Ataxia wrote: How do I make a bechamel sauce?

Honestly Ataxia, if your onion soup skills are that poor (simple dish), I wouldn't recommend you try your hand at bechamel sauce.
In fact, stay out of the kitchen altogether would be my plead to you.

Hey, you ain't even tried my food. I can cook, honest!

Jocke1 wrote:Bechamel sauce is very easy to burn on the bottom even for sauce vets.
And by your text above you come off to me as a sauce rook.

No, I'd suggest you instead befriend or hire a chef, or check if your neighbour already has made some bechamel sauce and can help
you to the left-overs, or indeed call your mom so that she can make some for you (moms are generally great at sauces), or
find a great bechamel sauce store, or better yet just go for the much tastier choice of bearnaise sauce.

Ah, but I don't think a bearnaise would be ideal for a lasagne, though I could completely bypass the need for a sauce and just use smoked mozzarella or something...
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

I have actually heard of Nick Chester, and I knew he was in the tech staff at Lotus. Surprisingly.

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
rachel1990 wrote:

Thanks for dampening our hopes

My hopes are still up. Don't give in that easily. At least it's the European model. At least the Americans aren't predicting it. The Americans are accurate for temperature. But weather, they're not as good as they can be.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Next time I don't know who somebody is, clearly the last thing I dare do is admit so on this forum, let alone dare ask anybody on here... Google may be easy, as might Wikipedia. But in normal, everyday conversation, if the person you are talking to mentions a name you don't know, you do not pause the conversation to Google them on your phone. Or maybe people do do that nowadays? But I have previously viewed threads on here as informal conversations, and I like to give others a chance to show off what they know rather than always going running off to Mr Google for the answer. But now I know better. Obviously...
MCard LOLA
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Whoa! How did a Monaco GP thread and a simple question from one of our regular and respected members turn into a papaya-throwing contest over the protocol (if there be one) of whether one asks a question within this community (which is what I like to think of this is, not just a forum) or searches for the answer themselves?

Live and let live on minor stuff like that, eh? Either that, or there have been some attempts at humour that have gone down like a lead balloon. (Which I know all about, because that is what this site and the podcasts invariably consist of.)

HWNSNBM hath spoken. So has Nick Chester - who I sort of knew was a tech guy but even I couldn't have told you which team.

(In fact, whilst I'm all for irrelevant tangents on threads, for the first time ever I'm considering deleting the posts that have contained unnecessary unpleasantness - even if unintended.)
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Who's Federico Gastaldi?

*Runs and hides in papaya-proof bunker*
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Jocke1 wrote:
It's about giving ourselves the best chance to take advantage of anything that happens on track in quali and the race so that means making every lap count on Friday and Saturday.

I don't know what kind of laps Mr. Ericsson was thinking of doing on Friday, but it won't be in his CT05 that is for sure.

Thanks. That's actually a brilliant comment, seems like he forgot about the Monaco tradition. :D

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

Okay Coops, we'll have it your way.

Everytime I have a question, instead of just googling the answer I'm going to send it straight to your inbox. Hopefully you won't change your mind that simple questions like "who the f*ck is Nick Chester" are not "unreasonable".

Actually, I'll ask you all of the questions I have now, right here. I hope it's not too unreasonable to expect answers for all of them, even though I could just Google them?

What does it mean when a pub is a "free house"?
What is the name of that musical instrument that's like a mini-keyboard but you blow into it?

Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote: But in normal, everyday conversation, if the person you are talking to mentions a name you don't know, you do not pause the conversation to Google them on your phone. Or maybe people do do that nowadays?

Scarily, I do now believe some members do that. Kids eh?
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AndreaModa wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

My first thought on Nick Chester was Nick Who?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I knew exactly who Nick Chester was, but it is not beyond possibility that some other forumites might not. There is no need to be condescending and dickish about it.

I do have to admit the AltaVista line made me laugh though
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Ataxia wrote:What does it mean when a pub is a "free house"?
A Free House is a pub which is not tied to a specific brewery and is therefore free to stock any beers that it can buy. This means it might end up having to pay more for some brands but it also enables it free reign on spirits, soft drinks and bar snacks which can be advantageous.
A melodica.

I sift plain flour through a sieve to get it nice and fine. Have your butter, milk and grated cheese on standby. Lob a massive chunk of butter into a saucepan and melt it without burning it. Gradually add flour to the melted butter while stirring to eradicate lumps. Once blended into a kind of paste, add milk to turn into a sauce. I then add a good chunk of wholegrain mustard and then the grated cheese. Don't ask for measurements. Measurements are for kitchen chumps and I don't think you are on the chump wagon.
I don't really go in for soup. It is not food. It is just a chunky drink.
Because they were Joy Division minus Ian Curtis is the reason I've always assumed them to be called that.
They're called gaps.
Don't know.
Buy it? Man up and acquire one from the pub. Or go on ebay.

Don't know.
Not used one but I do a superb ISO:9001 process diagram.
Never seen or read it.

Ataxia, hope this helps!

I'm really looking forward to Monaco this year. I actually have enjoyed the race for the past few years really. It's not been as much of a parade as everyone always made out.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I think I'll just leave this here...

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.