The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Frentzen127

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Frentzen127 »

Those last minutes between Ecuador and Switzerland were a nice summary of the whole game.
DEPORTIVO CA... pfft hahaha can't say that with a straight face!
Misses Minardi dearly. :(
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

I must say, that Pepe who plays for Portugal seems a amiable chap, someone who'd be nice to go and have a pint with at the pub, isn't he...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:I must say, that Pepe who plays for Portugal seems a amiable chap, someone who'd be nice to go and have a pint with at the pub, isn't he...

Just a word of advice, he likes his beer frothy...he's always preferred a head on it.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

East Londoner wrote:I must say, that Pepe who plays for Portugal seems a amiable chap, someone who'd be nice to go and have a pint with at the pub, isn't he...

I have portugese word to describe Pepe: acéfalo. If you don't know what it is, google it.

Portugal play so shite... I'm so pissed at this.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Miguel98 wrote:

I have portugese word to describe Pepe: acéfalo. If you don't know what it is, google it.

"Headless?" :?
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Aerospeed wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:

"Headless?" :?

Well, technically it's "person without a brain" or a "dumb" or "idiot" person. And that's Pepe allright.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

For as long as I can remember, whether for club or country, Pepe has always been a liability for his temperament. A bit like Christian Chivu, but more talented.

Let's see if this Belgian team really is as great as everyone seems to believe. I will be interested to see if Saphir Taider and Ishak Belfodil have anything in their repetoire to stop it being a one-way contest.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Miguel98 wrote:

When I first saw acéfalo, I thought it translated as arsehole.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
tristan1117
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tristan1117 »

USA! John Anthony Brooks saves us at the end! Although we let Ghana have all the space in the world, we somehow got away with that one.
CoopsII wrote:On occasion I have ventured into the PMM forum but beat a hasty retreat soon after as it resembles some sort of bad acid trip in there
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Iran-Nigeria is by far the worst game i've seen in a while.

Do'nt expect too much from Belgium, as our top scorer is... Van Buyten :lol: That says a lot about the efficiency of our attack...
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

tristan1117 wrote:USA! John Anthony Brooks saves us at the end! Although we let Ghana have all the space in the world, we somehow got away with that one.

That was worrying me for quite awhile, but I'm glad my country finally beat Ghana for once. :)
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:Iran-Nigeria is by far the worst game i've seen in a while.

Do'nt expect too much from Belgium, as our top scorer is... Van Buyten :lol: That says a lot about the efficiency of our attack...

I think that's more down to how young the strikers are and how long van Buyten's been playing :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Miguel98 wrote:

Well, ever since Paulo Bento, the Portuguese manager, decided to go with well known players of his rather than go with players that actually played during this season that it was a bit of a risk. Portugal doesn't play well for a while now and under Paulo Bento only ever played well during his first year in charge and in the big competitions like the last euros. Don't get me wrong in this last part since they never played well under Carlos Queiroz. Bosnia should be a shoo-in for that second place in group F, but I digress... He opted to play with the same line-up that started against Germany in 2012 and the trouble is that these players are not the same as they were in 2012. Meireles is in the twilight of his career, Nani practically didn't played for his club this season and pivotal players like Moutinho or João Pereira (the only real choice in his position) are a bit off form. It was then a matter of trying to bring out the best that these players can do and play them as a team during the time before this match. It is now clear that Bento failed at this and there is now no way of disguising it. In the next match I (and it is my opinion) think Portugal should play it Patricio, Pereira, Bruno Alves and Neto with Veloso on the left. It should play with William Carvalho (it was a mistake to leave him out of this match) and Ruben Amorim with Moutinho further ahead in the midfield. Varela, who can work hard unlike Nani, should also start with Ronaldo on the other side. At the front it is impossible to go with anyone else besides Eder in the forthcoming match. Perhaps Rafa should get some minutes too. It is also a pity that the length of the squad was compromised due to some poor choices like Helder Postiga, who is injured and cannot help the team and Vieirinha who just recently came back after 6 months injured and who wasn't even a starter when in top form. I clearly blame Bento for this.

Sorry about the length of the post.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

tommykl wrote:

I think that's more down to how young the strikers are and how long van Buyten's been playing :P

Can someon explain to me, what Anthony Vanden Borre is doing in the squad? I was surprised to see him there. His stint in Italy was very unspectacular. Hopefully with Van Buyten and Vermaelen in the centre of defense, Alderweireld will be the one starting and not Vanden Borre....

Image Image
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Biscione wrote:
tommykl wrote:

Can someon explain to me, what Anthony Vanden Borre is doing in the squad? I was surprised to see him there. His stint in Italy was very unspectacular. Hopefully with Van Buyten and Vermaelen in the centre of defense, Alderweireld will be the one starting and not Vanden Borre....

Because except for Van Den Borre, all our defenders are centers. We have no left-back and only one right back. He's offensively very good, but risky in defense. His problem has usually been his personality, and his career has been considered over a lot of times. But this guy keeps on coming back, and has now done an excellent season at Anderlecht. Truth be told, Anderlecht is no world beater. But who else would you put in the squad on that position? All candidates for that position are average (same level as Ciman, which is not international level).
At the moment we have a good generation of centers, but there isn't any new talent coming (unlike in the midfield), and that will become a problem. It's interesting to notice that most of our defenders (Vermaelen, Vertongen and Alderweireld) are all players from the youth of Beerschot.
Anyway, at the moment they are playing way too slow. It has been said a lot that having Dembéle in the squad slows the team. Well, at least they'll put supersub Mertens in now, let's see if this can change anything.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Supersub Mertens.

He just completely changed the direction of the game with that. Algeria really needs to put something together now.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Now that the first round of the group phase is completed (and a second round match was already played), I am placing myself in the firing line again by going back to my December predictions and reajust them when needed (and much will probably be needed).

Group A - Brazil to clearly win this. It is at home and they have been on top form ever since Scolari. Their frighting 3-0 win over Spain in the confederations cup always comes to my mind when thinking about Brazil prospects. As for the second place, I will say Mexico to come good right in front of Croatia. The latter don't seem to have a special team and European second string teams tend to perform poorly in World Cups. Cameroon to have another winless World Cup.

Even without yesterday game, it is still clear that only a huge shock will prevent Brazil of finishing first in this group. The hardest thing to predict is the second place. After watching Mexico play, I will stick with my first prediction and say that Mexico will manage the draw they need against Croatia. As for Cameroon, the winless part looks ever more real.

Group B - Spain is still Spain and win the group comfortably. For the second place, I reckon Chile to oust an ageing Netherlands squad. They are strong, have a great football and will play in an environment more suited to them. This can be the South American teams World Cup, I think.

Well, who could saw that coming? Spain is not Spain after all and Netherlands look regenerated. Today's game will be all or nothing, but Spain are still the Champions and they will manage to bounce back. The problem with this is that for Chile to go through, all teams will need to finish with 6 points. I will still risk that prediction, but since Spain will not batter Chile and Chile will not manage a Netherlands mauling, I will change the European team to go through and say that it will be Netherlands and Chile.

Group C - This group has Colombia written all over it. Their young guns, helped by a on-fire Falcao will win then the group. Colombia has an even stronger team than Chile, I think. As for who takes the second place, Japan will be my personal bet. Greece always seem to play a negative football in these early stages. While that might come good against bigger teams, it will not work against similar teams in quality like Japan.

Still Colombia here. But since Japan lost against Ivory Coast and I reckon they will not manage more than a draw against Greece, my second placed team is now Ivory Coast instead.

Group D - This is a tough one. Despite all the quality upfront, I don't think Uruguay to have the required team strength overall to eliminate one of Italy or England even playing in South America. Both European teams to come through, Italy edging England once again.

After watching the first matches in this Group, I still say Italy ahead of England.

Group E - I still think that Equador only managed qualification thanks to the altitude advantage they have at home. In fact, they have not won a single away match in the South American qualifying stages. As for Honduras, if they win a match, it will be a great world cup for them. Once again, European teams to come through with France ahead.

Another group where I will keep my predictions.

Group F - This looks certain to be an Argentina affair as none of the other teams will have enough quality to test obvious Argentinian defensive shortcomings. For the second place, I will go with Africa and Nigeria finishing ahead of Bosnia and Europe.

Unfortunately Nigeria have hugely disappointed me. I say Bosnia will sneak through instead.

Group G - Despite Ghana and US great teams, anything other than Germany in first and Portugal in second will be a major surprise.

Despite that drubbing, I am still keeping with Portugal for that second place just because of blind patriotism if nothing else.

Group H - Many things have been spoken about Belgium being a dark horse, but there is still some question marks about how youth the team still is and their ability to cope with pressure and expectation. Still, I think they will respond well in this group stage and top the Group. In second, I think South Korea will beat a struggling with heat Russian team.

My first consumed fail at this prediction was South Korea failing to beat Russia head to head. Still think they will sneak through though!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This wrote:Watching Croatia has led me to the one most important existential question in football: how many teams are there that have a checquered pattern outfit, other than Croatia and Schumacher's benefit-team? :D

(And i don't include the fashion-rejects outfits of the late eighties and early nineties)

Having been in Porto, I saw a few Boavista kits around. Tempted to get one myself!:

If anyone is still doing World Cup stickers, here is my list of swaps:

Code: Select all

3, 12, 23, 26, 27, 35, 40, 44, 47, 53, 59, 70, 75, 76, 81, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, 90, 101, 103, 104, 105, 107, 110, 111, 117, 130, 134, 137, 164, 165, 168, 169, 170, 175, 179, 183, 185, 186, 188, 191, 199, 211, 213, 214, 215, 217, 218, 227, 229, 232, 234, 240, 245, 247, 250, 252, 258, 271, 283, 293, 297, 300, 303, 304, 320, 321, 322, 325, 326, 327, 328, 331, 337, 341, 348, 349, 356, 365, 374, 375, 376, 381, 383, 388, 393, 398, 406, 409, 410, 416, 418, 424, 429, 436, 440, 448, 453, 457, 461, 465, 474, 490, 493, 496, 500, 502, 517, 520, 521, 523, 525, 528, 530, 533, 539, 546, 564, 569, 573, 577, 578, 582, 586, 587, 590, 591, 592, 595, 599, 600, 604, 605, 607, 611, 612, 618, 619, 620, 628

Biscione and W12, could you let us know if you've got any more swaps since you last posted? Biscione if you could set aside 119, 196, 221 and 302 for me that would be great! Similarly, W12 if you could do the same with 43, 77, 399, 431, 441 and 513? Obviously, take your pick from mine and maybe we could sort something out by post (so long as its worthwhile).
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

watka wrote:
This wrote:Watching Croatia has led me to the one most important existential question in football: how many teams are there that have a checquered pattern outfit, other than Croatia and Schumacher's benefit-team? :D

(And i don't include the fashion-rejects outfits of the late eighties and early nineties)

Having been in Porto, I saw a few Boavista kits around. Tempted to get one myself!:

Looks like a chess board.

Or could it be a code for Alex Wurz''s world domination plans? :shock:
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
W12

Post by W12 »

watka wrote:If anyone is still doing World Cup stickers, here is my list of swaps:

3, 12, 23, 26, 27, 35, 40, 44, 47, 53, 59, 70, 75, 76, 81, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, 90, 101, 103, 104, 105, 107, 110, 111, 117, 130, 134, 137, 164, 165, 168, 169, 170, 175, 179, 183, 185, 186, 188, 191, 199, 211, 213, 214, 215, 217, 218, 227, 229, 232, 234, 240, 245, 247, 250, 252, 258, 271, 283, 293, 297, 300, 303, 304, 320, 321, 322, 325, 326, 327, 328, 331, 337, 341, 348, 349, 356, 365, 374, 375, 376, 381, 383, 388, 393, 398, 406, 409, 410, 416, 418, 424, 429, 436, 440, 448, 453, 457, 461, 465, 474, 490, 493, 496, 500, 502, 517, 520, 521, 523, 525, 528, 530, 533, 539, 546, 564, 569, 573, 577, 578, 582, 586, 587, 590, 591, 592, 595, 599, 600, 604, 605, 607, 611, 612, 618, 619, 620, 628

Biscione and W12, could you let us know if you've got any more swaps since you last posted? Biscione if you could set aside 119, 196, 221 and 302 for me that would be great! Similarly, W12 if you could do the same with 43, 77, 399, 431, 441 and 513? Obviously, take your pick from mine and maybe we could sort something out by post (so long as its worthwhile).
Well, since my brother and I recently bought every single card (yes, really) from the Internet, I'm not needing any cards but if I find some doubles, I can give them away for free.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

wsrgo wrote:
watka wrote:

Looks like a chess board.

Or could it be a code for Alex Wurz''s world domination plans? :shock:

I remember a time, somewhere in the early nineties where Boavista was considered "that team" of the weird shirts.

Always second fiddle in town, they failed to have any practical impact on the domestic scene up until the 70s where they won some Portuguese Cups and started to assert themselves the "4th big" club. After that and after some good campaigns in UEFA and even domestic they managed to finally win the Championship in 2001 breaking decades and decades of triumvirate between FC Porto, SL Benfica and (a bit less) Sporting CP. That stretched the club financially though and the team came back down strongly. The worst was still to come when they got administratively relegated by allegedly pressuring referees. From there they fell into deep crisis and got relegated once again where they can still be found today. Meanwhile they went to courts all these years in order to void the sporting decision that relegated them, finally managing that in 2012. Thus it began a slow process of reintegration that will culminate next season when they will finally be back into First League. It was a club that was victim of the days where corruption was at rife in the Portuguese Football league although barely nothing was legally proved.

Regardless of all this, it still is one of my all time favorite kits.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

And what is Spain doing?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This wrote:And what is Spain doing?

Methinks planning on booking some early plane tickets :lol:
In all honesty, this is the most shambolic attempt to defent the world cup trophy since france in 2002!
Last edited by roblo97 on 18 Jun 2014, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Adios Espana
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I want to laugh... But I'm not sure if I should, since this may well happen to Portugal Sunday. But until there: SPAINWINSLOL is over. :D

watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

W12 wrote:
watka wrote:If anyone is still doing World Cup stickers, here is my list of swaps:

Well, since my brother and I recently bought every single card (yes, really) from the Internet, I'm not needing any cards but if I find some doubles, I can give them away for free.

That would be awesome, could I give you a list of what I need?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Miguel98 wrote:I want to laugh... But I'm not sure if I should, since this may well happen to Portugal Sunday. But until there: SPAINWINSLOL is over. :D

By the look of things, they might even get humilated by Australia. Now the likelyness of being defeated without a chance against Austrialia is a worrying sign, if you are defending world champion, and have won 3 major tournaments in a row. Got to admire the Aussie spirit though.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

Spain is really trying hard to be Reject of the 2014 World Cup.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:I want to laugh... But I'm not sure if I should, since this may well happen to Portugal Sunday. But until there: SPAINWINSLOL is over. :D

By the look of things, they might even get humilated by Australia. Now the likelyness of being defeated without a chance against Austrialia is a worrying sign, if you are defending world champion, and have won 3 major tournaments in a row. Got to admire the Aussie spirit though.

As desperate as Spain's form may have been, without Tim Cahill, Australia are really going to struggle to have an impact on Spain's goal. If Del Bosque switches out Casillas for De Gea and Diego Costa for David Villa, even the limp Spaniards should have enough to cross the finishing line with 3 points on the board.

Image Image
W12

Post by W12 »

watka wrote:
W12 wrote:

That would be awesome, could I give you a list of what I need?
OK. My brother checked and we have about 10 doubles.
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

This wrote:And what is Spain doing?

Failing... and so my spanish heart cries.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

BBC on Spain's defeat: The Empire has Fallen :lol:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Ah ballcocks.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

I thought the world was going to end for a minute, Rooney actually got his World Cup goal!!!!

Then England proceeded to let Suarez have a field day :? Oh dear......
Trulli bad puns...
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Congratulations to Liverpool on that fantastic win over England :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

So, Costa Rica to Infinite Improbability Team of the World Cup?

UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Miguel98 wrote:So, Costa Rica to Infinite Improbability Team of the World Cup?

All the other teams with no expectations still have a chance to pull something, no one has played three games yet. But they're in the lead at the moment.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

Dismal performance from Italy, I lost track of the amounts of offsides the team got during the match.... The only other gripe I have for that game was that Costa Rica deserved a penalty shot, but the goal that came two minutes later likely wouldn't have happened without it, so that's poetic justice for them

I can only feel for Biscione right now... And with Italy not being able to win Group D, along with Spain going out, and the Ivory Coast not tying Colombia, my World Cup bracket is looking very worn at the moment... :?
Trulli bad puns...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:So, Costa Rica to Infinite Improbability Team of the World Cup?

All the other teams with no expectations still have a chance to pull something, no one has played three games yet. But they're in the lead at the moment.

Costa Rica only need a single point to secure the first position. Also, Costa Rica and Ivory Coast will be one of matches of eighth finals. So, Costa Rica have real chances of reaching in quarter finals. But further than this... They will face the Netherlands. I don't believe the team can win.

IITotWC is pretty safe for Costa Rica if they manage to reach to quarter finals.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Fire Prandelli. Fire him immediately.

This squad has more potential than that. His susbtitutions were all wrong. Italy started with the wrong players on the field to start with. It was a really drab performance. The 4-2-3-1 late on didn't do much to change things.

I said it before, and I will say it again; Play 4-3-3 with Immobile, Insigne and Cerci, PLEASE. These are three players who can read each other very well. The chemistry is very good. Immobile and Cerci are in the form of their lives.

As for the back four; I understand why Abate was on the pitch, even if he doesn't deserve to wear the shirt. Prandelli made the mistake in his squad selections before the WC. Mattia de Sciglio is the only natural LB, and Chiellini is the only competent cover for that position. Paletta has been hopeless. Darmian didn't make much impact on the left, mostly because he does not play on the left. Prandelli should have taken Ranocchia and played him as Barzagli's CB partner, with Chiellini at LB, leaving Darmian to play his best role of RB, having the two-fold effect of keeping Abate off the pitch.

Well done to Costa Rica, a totally deserved victory. I hope they pull a Greece 2004 and somehow march on and win the damn thing.

Image Image