2014 Austrian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
SgtPepper

Re: 2014 Austrian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by SgtPepper »

good_Ralf wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Has Nico finally gotten the upper hand on Lewis? Seems so, atleast on the mental side of things.

When he shouted to the crowd in German in a very enthusiastic manner, I feel as though Nico was trying to psychologically bury Lewis, since Hamilton can't speak German (as far as I know!).

I'd have to disagree. Even when he comes second, Nico seems to absolutely love playing up to the crowds on the podium.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

good_Ralf wrote: When he shouted to the crowd in German in a very enthusiastic manner, I feel as though Nico was trying to psychologically bury Lewis, since Hamilton can't speak German (as far as I know!).

I kind of agree with you in that Nico might be playing the card of
"Look at me, I had a priviliged upbringing growing up in Monaco and on luxurious yachts and I am very sophisticated, educated and
an accomplished linguist to boot."

Nico did the same in Canada. But in French that time;
http://youtu.be/rf_qFydZg3A

Also I tried to find information on the podium trophies but came up short.
What do they represent? It's the first time I've seen those in Austria, in '97-'03 they looked like any
other generic trophies. These were quite different.
-*:-
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

A moment I've waited to see for about a year.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

According to Ted's Notebook, Williams never really tried to fight the mercs for the win, but rather raced their own race to score the biggest point haul they could.
That would explain why they didn't counter mercs' pitstops on the 1st stint. 8-)
...but then again, that also something very easy to say after you've lost the race. :lol:

Still, happy for Bottas!

I'm a bit concerned for the Hulk. Wonder if it's that time again in the season where he disappear, only to find MEGA pace in the end ..
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Did anybody else notice that there appeared to be ladies with actual flags just above and behind the podium today? I noticed as the camera panned out after the podium interviews.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

A month ago it looked like Hamilton would run away with the title. Now it's the other way around. I love it!
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

A shame Williams couldn't hold on to the win, although that always seemed unlikely. I'm glad they held on for a good haul of points and a podium, though, and that Rosberg extended his championship lead.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
mario

Post by mario »

lgaquino wrote:According to Ted's Notebook, Williams never really tried to fight the mercs for the win, but rather raced their own race to score the biggest point haul they could.
That would explain why they didn't counter mercs' pitstops on the 1st stint. 8-)
...but then again, that also something very easy to say after you've lost the race. :lol:

Still, happy for Bottas!

I'm a bit concerned for the Hulk. Wonder if it's that time again in the season where he disappear, only to find MEGA pace in the end ..

Hulkenberg has dipped a bit in recent races, and that slight drop in form could potentially be costing him - there was a report going round in the German press suggesting that Hulkenberg had been offering his services to McLaren for 2015, only to be rebuffed once again. It always seems to be the case that Hlukenberg puts in his best performances at just the wrong times of the season to impress the larger teams; that said, right now you would have to wonder if going to McLaren would be a step up or a step down given their recent form (if you'd asked me the same question a few years ago, I wouldn't have thought that I'd be saying this).

I can understand some frustration creeping in given that Red Bull, and Vettel in particular, have been having serious reliability issues.

Renault have basically admitted that, with Vettel having already used his full allocation for the energy recovery system control units, he will either have to re-use earlier units - which will potentially leave him slightly down on power and with slightly worse drivability - or he will have to take grid penalties in the later stages of the season. Neither option is exactly ideal for Vettel, and whilst Ricciardo is a little better off right now, he's also gone through his allocation more rapidly than the team would like and may start paying for that later in the year.

However, lashing out at Renault in such a public manner is not a good way of addressing those matter - it's not exactly good for the relationship between the two parties, and not all of the issues seem to be solely down to Renault either (to a certain extent, it does seem as if some of the issues with the electronics are self inflicted).
You could also argue that, to a certain extent, it's a risky strategy for Red Bull to take right now - if Renault are sufficiently antagonised to pull the plug, you can bet that neither Ferrari nor Mercedes will be rushing to fill the gap. With Honda the only other possible alternative - and a rather unproven one - Renault to a certain extent have the better negotiating position, so you wouldn't want to provoke them too much.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

I always thought that FIA should have allowed Renault to make changes to the engine early in the season IIRC. :?
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

The Hulk can't afford a mid season slump this time, Di Resta and Gutierrez were never that much of a threat to his status, but Perez will be.

I'm really enjoying the midfield battles and it's nice to see Force India and Williams outshining McLaren and Ferrari. If only we had the 2012 edition Sauber in the mix too. What I really want to see next though is one of these teams consistently running near the front.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

A great race at a great venue, it'll probably be canned and replaced with a Tilkedrome very soon.
Just For One Day...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

CoopsII wrote:A great race at a great venue, it'll probably be canned and replaced with a Tilkedrome very soon.

Umm, the A1 Ring redesign in 1995-96 was done by Tilke :lol:
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AustralianStig wrote:
CoopsII wrote:A great race at a great venue, it'll probably be canned and replaced with a Tilkedrome very soon.

:lol: Sod off, you know what I mean :D
Just For One Day...
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

CoopsII wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:

:lol: Sod off, you know what I mean :D

You'd be forgiven for not realising it's a Tilkedrome, simply because it's actually good.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

FMecha wrote:I always thought that FIA should have allowed Renault to make changes to the engine early in the season IIRC. :?

If they allowed Renault to make performance-increasing changes to the engine specification, then they would have had to allow Mercedes and Ferrari to do the same.

Also, while the other Renault teams are down on power compared to Mercedes powered cars, if it were all down to the engine then surely every team with a Renault enginge would be dropping out of Grand Prix at the same rate that Red Bull has been, but that isn't the case.
Eifelland

Post by Eifelland »

FullMetalJack wrote:You'd be forgiven for not realising it's a Tilkedrome, simply because it's actually good.

This, and Canada are my two favourite simulator tracks by a long way.
Jocke1 is my spirit animal

Forza Minardi. Forza Bianchi. Forza Rejects.
mario

Post by mario »

Fetzie wrote:
FMecha wrote:I always thought that FIA should have allowed Renault to make changes to the engine early in the season IIRC. :?

If they allowed Renault to make performance-increasing changes to the engine specification, then they would have had to allow Mercedes and Ferrari to do the same.

Also, while the other Renault teams are down on power compared to Mercedes powered cars, if it were all down to the engine then surely every team with a Renault enginge would be dropping out of Grand Prix at the same rate that Red Bull has been, but that isn't the case.

I believe that Renault were allowed to make some software changes and modify some of the control unit electronics for their energy recovery system earlier in the season. It's one of those things where the change was made on genuine reliability grounds, but has the side effect of increasing the power of their powertrain through allowing the Renault teams to run with a slightly more aggressive setting for the motor generator unit.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Interesting that people thought the race was a great race. I thought it was rather boring compared to what we had previously. In my opinion, it was more tense than exciting, always promising action right around the corner, but never delivering.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Great to see Williams in the mix but a shame they went conservative on the tyres to get points over glory. They should have split the strategies and bought one car in early and left the other out. At least if the early stopper ran into trouble they could have held up the Mercedes to give the second car a chance.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

LionZoo wrote:Interesting that people thought the race was a great race. I thought it was rather boring compared to what we had previously. In my opinion, it was more tense than exciting, always promising action right around the corner, but never delivering.

I thought this race was abysmal, honestly. I think if people remove their rose-colored glasses and get over the excitement of the Red Bull Ring being a "classic track", they'll realize this race was craptastic. If I was sitting on my couch watching this race, I probably would have fallen asleep. I had the urge to fall asleep, too, not even Ben Edwards could make this one exciting.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Agreed, once it was clear that Williams weren't going to challenge for the win there wasn't much that was interesting about the race except for Hamilton's battle through the field, which was made pretty easy with the Mercedes' pace.

Having said that, I'm still really enjoying this season - dominance doesn't always equal boring in my opinion.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

The first half of the race was actually pretty good. But once it appeared that Williams weren't going for all out victory, and Mercedes took control of the front of the field, the race quickly became dull and was only livened by Vettel being an idiot, Pérez's charge (which the TV director seemed not to care much about), Hamilton's charge, and the hilariously awful CGI graphic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark Webber wasn't that good with the podium interviews, but then again, who is? :lol: Nice to see him up there though.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Was this the first race where another team with both it's drivers we're genuinely fighting the Mercs? It was so nice to see the two Williams cars leading the field just ahead of the two Mercs at the beginning with everyone else floundering. It was like F1 went: 'Ok Williams. For this race, your going to be a second quicker than normal. Have fun!'.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Cynon wrote:
LionZoo wrote:Interesting that people thought the race was a great race. I thought it was rather boring compared to what we had previously. In my opinion, it was more tense than exciting, always promising action right around the corner, but never delivering.

I thought this race was abysmal, honestly. I think if people remove their rose-colored glasses and get over the excitement of the Red Bull Ring being a "classic track", they'll realize this race was craptastic. If I was sitting on my couch watching this race, I probably would have fallen asleep. I had the urge to fall asleep, too, not even Ben Edwards could make this one exciting.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man. There were three on-track battles at the end of the race, and two of them ended in an overtake - sure, the final stint had little else going on before that, but it was slowly building up to it.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Cynon wrote:

Whilst it wasn't the best race this season, it was still much better than the vast majority of the races from last season. There was enough intrigue and action to keep me interested.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

East Londoner wrote:
Cynon wrote:

Whilst it wasn't the best race this season, it was still much better than the vast majority of the races from last season. There was enough intrigue and action to keep me interested.

Indeed. On any track, two cars with similar performance and similar strategy won't result in an overtake, simply because you won't have a big enough gap in speed. It has nothing to do with the circuit.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
razta

Post by razta »

Jocke1 wrote:
good_Ralf wrote: When he shouted to the crowd in German in a very enthusiastic manner, I feel as though Nico was trying to psychologically bury Lewis, since Hamilton can't speak German (as far as I know!).

I kind of agree with you in that Nico might be playing the card of
"Look at me, I had a priviliged upbringing growing up in Monaco and on luxurious yachts and I am very sophisticated, educated and
an accomplished linguist to boot."

Nico did the same in Canada. But in French that time;
http://youtu.be/rf_qFydZg3A

Also I tried to find information on the podium trophies but came up short.
What do they represent? It's the first time I've seen those in Austria, in '97-'03 they looked like any
other generic trophies. These were quite different.

How many languages does he speak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzoTelEmSkI this cracked me up :lol: :lol: "LEWIS?!" that face
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

razta wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzoTelEmSkI this cracked me up :lol: :lol: "LEWIS?!" that face

Apologies for the HWNSNBM-language subtitles and the retarded shake fix on the video :P Here, have a proper quality version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo2HhUlKmH8

Here is the exact script of their conversation:

Reporter: Lewis, arrivi qui con...
Nico: Lewis?! Porca troia!
Reporter: Scusa!
Nico: Vacca boia, lewis...?! Cazzo no. Come facciamo?
Reporter: Posso ricominciare?
Nico: Ma siamo così simili?
Reporter: No
Nico Lewis..?! Come ti chiamo a te, per avere un effetto simile?
Reporter: Non so vuoi chiamarmi Antonio?
Nico: Antonio?? ahahha

Reporter: Lewis, you came here with...
Nico: Lewis?! Holy shite!
Reporter: Sorry!!
Nico: Holy shite, lewis...?! bathplug no. How we do?
Reporter: Can i start again?
Nico: But we are so similar?
Reporter: No
Nico Lewis..?! How do i call you, to have a similar effect?
Reporter: I don't know, would you call me Antonio?

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

razta wrote: How many languages does he speak?

English (obviously)
German - http://youtu.be/C4krRjr_rMw?t=8s
Italian - http://youtu.be/7HcmkOh2c4c?t=7s
Spanish - http://youtu.be/2zigegQNE5g?t=29s http://youtu.be/ai97qW_v31w?t=11s
French - http://youtu.be/rf_qFydZg3A?t=11s

Finnish? Couldn't find any.

It's http://youtu.be/uvUL28Skt6E
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

It's been explicitly mentioned several times, by himself and by commentators in quiet parts of practice sessions, that he does not speak Finnish.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

According to someone;
Rosberg speaks fluent German, English, Italian, Spanish and French but only a little Finnish, though he is learning the language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nico_Rosberg
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Jocke1 wrote:According to someone;
Rosberg speaks fluent German, English, Italian, Spanish and French but only a little Finnish, though he is learning the language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nico_Rosberg

This speaks volumes, as it were. I very much doubt Hamilton has the capacity to learn six languages even if he wanted to.
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
girry

Post by girry »

Rosberg was born in an environment where he had to learn three languages, and his dad made him learn Italian, too; as opposed to Hamilton who's ever only really needed English. Tbh, I don't think that speaks much about Hamilton - or do the likes of Ricciardo, di Resta, Button, Chilton, Webber, etc. speak more than one language?
when you're dead people start listening
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Hamilton speaks two languages, though. English and Bling-Bling.
mario

Post by mario »

giraurd wrote:Rosberg was born in an environment where he had to learn three languages, and his dad made him learn Italian, too; as opposed to Hamilton who's ever only really needed English. Tbh, I don't think that speaks much about Hamilton - or do the likes of Ricciardo, di Resta, Button, Chilton, Webber, etc. speak more than one language?

Rosberg is also a little unusual in that he actively considered becoming an engineer - he applied for, and was offered, a place at Imperial College London to study aeronautical engineering, but turned that down to focus on his racing career instead. To a certain extent, he therefore has a more developed academic background that a number of drivers on the grid, which is probably also reflected in the way he has been able to learn multiple languages.

In the case of Button, I believe that he speaks a little bit of Japanese (which he has learnt from his partner) - as for the others, I believe di Resta speaks some Italian as a consequence of his family connections, but apart from that I do not know what languages the other drivers you listed might speak.
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

mario wrote:In the case of Button, I believe that he speaks a little bit of Japanese (which he has learnt from his partner).

Jenson's Japanese skills.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

SgtPepper wrote:
mario wrote:In the case of Button, I believe that he speaks a little bit of Japanese (which he has learnt from his partner).

Jenson's Japanese skills.

Japanese is an odd language, where there is a CRAPLOAD of imported words that have NO japanese equialent whatsoever. I mean, they have a complete set of alphabet meant exclusively for imported words (Katakana) :D

Really. Speaking and understanding Japan. Thats easy. Writing and reading? Now THAT's hard.
(Studied japan for 3 years. Gave up when we started focusing on the goddamn Kanji... :E)
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

So, it turns out that the titanium skid plates are actually being introduced for a good reason and not just to make F1 more "spectacular". I don't understand why the FIA didn't state this in the first place, it would've saved them a lot of grief. :|
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:So, it turns out that the titanium skid plates are actually being introduced for a good reason and not just to make F1 more "spectacular". I don't understand why the FIA didn't state this in the first place, it would've saved them a lot of grief. :|

I have to agree that, if they had announced that the intention of using titanium skid plates was actually to prevent teams from running the cars too low to the ground and to reduce the risk of the skid blocks detatching from the car, then there probably would have been very little public criticism (in fact, it probably would have received public support if it was pointed out that it had been the cause of punctures). Instead, as you say, they went about announcing the change in the most foolish manner possible by concentrating on the most ephemeral aspect - the sparks - which made most of us reject the change as patronising.

Incidentally, it is interesting that only one team appears to have complained about the change because it bit into their advantage in running the car low to the ground. Now, although Will doesn't name the team, I would not be surprised if it was possibly Red Bull - there was a lot of speculation over the design of their front splitter in 2013 after the front mounted thermal cameras suggested that the car floor was heating up in a very unusual manner...