The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:Look at I found thanks to WTF1 (one of my favorite F1 sites if it wasn't clear before):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6AJzyuBAw

One a scale of 1 to 10, how dumb is that?

They're still using the start/finish line between Woodcote and Copse for some races in 2014?!?!

Oh, and dumbness level? Possibly turned up to 11! Did not even notice yellows waving...

(EDIT: Did see a green waving after the incident, but the graphic at the top only went from green to yellow after the cars passed the recovery vehicle...)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Look at I found thanks to WTF1 (one of my favorite F1 sites if it wasn't clear before):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6AJzyuBAw

One a scale of 1 to 10, how dumb is that?

They're still using the start/finish line between Woodcote and Copse for some races in 2014?!?!

.... well, considering some configurations of the track (such as the National circuit used by BTCC) don't use the F1 pits, I would imagine so...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

More news.....

In a case of irony infinitum, Richie Stanaway is set to replace Matthieu Vaxiviere at Lotus in Formula Renault 3.5, at Spa, the race where, two years ago, he had a vertebral injury in that same Lotus car, that at the time, seemed to end his single seater career. To add to the irony, Vaxiviere has had a vertebral injury himself.

Ed Jones will miss the next three European F3 rounds due to a back injury sustained at Pau. Carlin have not announced a replacement yet.

And just when he was coming good, Nikolay Martsenko has been forced to call time on his Formula Renault 3.5 season due to lack of funds.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

wsrgo wrote:More news.....

In a case of irony infinitum, Richie Stanaway is set to replace Matthieu Vaxiviere at Lotus in Formula Renault 3.5, at Spa, the race where, two years ago, he had a vertebral injury in that same Lotus car, that at the time, seemed to end his single seater career. To add to the irony, Vaxiviere has had a vertebral injury himself.

Ed Jones will miss the next three European F3 rounds due to a back injury sustained at Pau. Carlin have not announced a replacement yet.

And just when he was coming good, Nikolay Martsenko has been forced to call time on his Formula Renault 3.5 season due to lack of funds.

Where is Sergey Zlobin when you need him :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The first FR3.5 was SAINZWINSLOL as usual, but who cares about that? BEITSKE VISSER SCORED A POINT!!! :D :D :D
Everything's great.
W12

Post by W12 »

Salamander wrote:The first FR3.5 was SAINZWINSLOL as usual, but who cares about that? BEITSKE VISSER SCORED A POINT!!! :D :D :D
And of course, that happened at the first FR3.5 race of the year I didn't see live :evil:
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:The first FR3.5 was SAINZWINSLOL as usual, but who cares about that? BEITSKE VISSER SCORED A POINT!!! :D :D :D

First woman to score a point in FR3.5 since the legendary Pippa Mann in 2008!!!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Actually, the mention of Sainz Jr. does bring up something I was wondering - what is the general opinion of Sainz Jr.'s abilities?

Red Bull seem to see something in him, because they have backed him since 2010, making him one of their longest serving drivers, yet his result in the junior series do not really seem outstanding.
His 2012 Formula 3 campaigns are, at least on paper, nothing spectacular - only winning races in one of the three Formula 3 series he competed in that season and finished behind Blomqvist in the Euro F3 championship to boot. As for his 2013 GP3 series campaign, even allowing for two disqualifications he was still comprehensively beaten by Kvyat and his finishing positions seem to have been rather inconsistent over the course of a season too.

OK, he performed reasonably well in the 2013 Young Driver test and was complimented on his feedback, but from what I can recall his lap times were not outstanding in that session either. Apart from this burst of speed in the FR3.5 series, I'm not sure where else I would have seen the appeal of Sainz Jr. in other junior series - but perhaps that is just me.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

mario wrote:Actually, the mention of Sainz Jr. does bring up something I was wondering - what is the general opinion of Sainz Jr.'s abilities?

Red Bull seem to see something in him, because they have backed him since 2010, making him one of their longest serving drivers, yet his result in the junior series do not really seem outstanding.
His 2012 Formula 3 campaigns are, at least on paper, nothing spectacular - only winning races in one of the three Formula 3 series he competed in that season and finished behind Blomqvist in the Euro F3 championship to boot. As for his 2013 GP3 series campaign, even allowing for two disqualifications he was still comprehensively beaten by Kvyat and his finishing positions seem to have been rather inconsistent over the course of a season too.

OK, he performed reasonably well in the 2013 Young Driver test and was complimented on his feedback, but from what I can recall his lap times were not outstanding in that session either. Apart from this burst of speed in the FR3.5 series, I'm not sure where else I would have seen the appeal of Sainz Jr. in other junior series - but perhaps that is just me.

Well, he's shown flashes of awesome speed in the past, but hadn't really converted it into results before this year. The important thing is that he's in a series one level down from F1, and he's steamrolling the opposition, which includes some very highly rated names. Regardless of how dismal his results have been before now, the important thing is that he's doing them now, he's not just relying on a wealth of experience in this series, and although he's driving for the best team, he's not really letting anyone else get a look in for the title, which is how it should be. I don't really think you can ask more of him.

Meanwhile, I think it's fairly clear Gasly and Lynn need at least another year before you can say they're properly ready for F1, so I think the road is fairly clear for Sainz to replace Vergne for 2015 - because let's be honest, Toro Rosso isn't going to keep him for a 4th year.
Everything's great.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Can Sainz do what da Costa (and literally every GP2 driver) couldn't: be awesome for more than four months at a time?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:Can Sainz do what da Costa (and literally every GP2 driver) couldn't: be awesome for more than four months at a time?

[Kimi]Yes.[/Kimi]

Because that STR carrot is dangling in front of him. I'm thinking they will boot JEV just because he has too much mechanical trouble.

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

mario wrote:Actually, the mention of Sainz Jr. does bring up something I was wondering - what is the general opinion of Sainz Jr.'s abilities?

Sainz actually started cars strongly, taking a brilliant fourth in Formula BMW Europe in 2010 (top rookie by a mile), and then had a strong year in Formula Renault 2.0 (after Formula BMW went kaput), where he won the NEC championship and finished second in Eurocup, behind none other than Robin Frijns. 2012 was bad for him because he did double campaigns in British F3 and F3 Euroseries..he was electric at the start, but failed to keep up those performances, his cause not being helped by spinning and crashing far too often.

I'll say he didn't deserve to finish as low as 10th in GP3 last year, but still, his collisions with Williamson at Barcelona and Niederhauser at Abu Dhabi were nothing short of brainfades. Apart from a good showing at Monaco, he didn't really fire much in his part-time FR3.5 campaign last year, and though that was partly down to the fact that Zeta Corse are one of the stragglers in WSR, he was still largely outperformed by Will Buller, who himself got owned by two F3 rookies in the truncated British F3 series last year.

One facet that could be why he's doing well this year is that he has absolutely no distractions apart from his 3.5 campaign. Secondly, apart from tyre compounds, there haven't been any changes in the series from 2013, and the fact that he's basically sitting in the same car that took Kevin Magnussen to the title last year must certainly help. DAMS are also known to focus on one driver (cue Grosjean in 2011 GP2, or Magnussen last year) so it's no surprise why he's doing this well.

Sainz has always been rather electric, and I firmly believe, that in terms of raw pace and talent he's second to no one in junior formulae at the moment. He just needed a change of mindset and it seems to have worked for him thus far.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

I have to say I never rated Sainz highly before this year, but he seems to finally be vindicating Red Bull's faith in him. He was taken to the cleaners and back by Kyvat in GP3, and he didn't achieve anything remarkable in Formula 3 either. Personally I don't think he could cut it in F1 based on his pre 2014 results, but he has impressed me in FR3.5 this year and may well prove me wrong if he keeps up his current level of performance.
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Since the Cecotto/Canamasas partnership is currently making everyone look very silly I'm wondering why do mega crash predicted partnerships never work. First everyone was hyping the Grosjean/Maldonado partnership but the only thing of note was Pastor's stupidity in Bahrain and now the Cecotto/Canamasas partnership has taken a Win and a 2nd instead of racking up repair bills
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Since the Cecotto/Canamasas partnership is currently making everyone look very silly I'm wondering why do mega crash predicted partnerships never work. First everyone was hyping the Grosjean/Maldonado partnership but the only thing of note was Pastor's stupidity in Bahrain and now the Cecotto/Canamasas partnership has taken a Win and a 2nd instead of racking up repair bills

I think there's something really wrong with GP2 at the moment. How else do you explain that Arthur Pic, who in three seasons in FR3.5 picked up just a solitary win, is ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne, who finished runner-up in his first season?

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:I think there's something really wrong with GP2 at the moment. How else do you explain that Arthur Pic, who in three seasons in FR3.5 picked up just a solitary win, is ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne, who finished runner-up in his first season?

Because Pic's team is better. This is why Jolyon Palmer is going to be the GP2 champ this year - he's got 4 years of experience and is driving for DAMS, who are indisputably the best team in junior formulae. With how much GP2 rewards experience rather than raw talent, there's no reason why he should lose. The same is true of FR3.5, but we've always known Sainz has speed, it was just a matter of putting it together for any appreciable amount of time, which he has for this season. But Jolyon Palmer has never looked anything more than average in all his time in junior formulae.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
wsrgo wrote:I think there's something really wrong with GP2 at the moment. How else do you explain that Arthur Pic, who in three seasons in FR3.5 picked up just a solitary win, is ahead of Stoffel Vandoorne, who finished runner-up in his first season?

Because Pic's team is better. This is why Jolyon Palmer is going to be the GP2 champ this year - he's got 4 years of experience and is driving for DAMS, who are indisputably the best team in junior formulae. With how much GP2 rewards experience rather than raw talent, there's no reason why he should lose. The same is true of FR3.5, but we've always known Sainz has speed, it was just a matter of putting it together for any appreciable amount of time, which he has for this season. But Jolyon Palmer has never looked anything more than average in all his time in junior formulae.

But this is ART we are talking about, the legendary French team which took Rosberg, Hamilton and Hulkenberg to the GP2 titles...which took Jamie Green, Hamilton, di Resta, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Bianchi to F3 Euroseries titles...which took Esteban Gutierrez and Valtteri Bottas to GP3 titles...

Campos don't have half as good a record. How the mighty have fallen...

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:But this is ART we are talking about, the legendary French team which took Rosberg, Hamilton and Hulkenberg to the GP2 titles...which took Jamie Green, Hamilton, di Resta, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and Bianchi to F3 Euroseries titles...which took Esteban Gutierrez and Valtteri Bottas to GP3 titles...

Yeah, ART were really good back in the 2000s, but times change. They're not the best GP2 team anymore, haven't been for a few years now.
Everything's great.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

The question is really did Rosberg, Hamilton and Hülkenberg win because of ART or was it ART winning because of Rosberg, Hamilton and Hülkenberg. I think it was more of latter.

Although I have to say it doesn't matter that much on which team driver is in. Campos was the worst team in first GP2 season, second-worst in their second. Then in third season they were suddenly third. Getting Giorgio Pantano as a driver certainly helped in that.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Bleu wrote:Although I have to say it doesn't matter that much on which team driver is in. Campos was the worst team in first GP2 season, second-worst in their second. Then in third season they were suddenly third. Getting Giorgio Pantano as a driver certainly helped in that.

That's a different era of GP2. The third-generation car is very difficult to set up, and without a team like DAMS or Carlin you're not going to have the best of times. We all know that Stoffel Vandoorne is one of, if not the most, talented driver in GP2, but aside from his debut win he hasn't scored. You can put some of that down to this being his first year, but ART haven't scored since round 1, and you can't blame the drivers for all of it.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Finally, a much better GP2 result in terms of the talent in the field.
1. Felipe Nasr (Carlin)
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (ART)
3. Raffaele Marciello (Racing Engineering)
4. Stefano Coletti (Racing Engineering)
5. Jolyon Palmer (DAMS)
6. Johnny Cecotto, Jr (Trident)
7. Mitch Evans (RT RUSSIAN TIME)
8. Alexander Rossi (Caterham)
9. Takuya Izawa (ART)
10. Arthur Pic (Campos)

Meanwhile, in the FIA F3 European Championship, Max Verstappen has won 2 races at Spa this weekend, with the third race to be held tomorrow.

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

wsrgo wrote:Meanwhile, in the FIA F3 European Championship, Max Verstappen has won 2 races at Spa this weekend, with the third race to be held tomorrow.

Esteban Ocon looks pretty much guaranteed to win the title, he's had an impressive season. Hopefully Lotus can arrange for him to move up a step (GP2/Formula Renault 3.5?) next season. But Max has been very impressive for someone who was only racing go-karts last year. And he's with Van Amersfoort, not the best F3 team.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Great to see Nasr pushing on after finally breaking his duck in Barcelona! Although the way Bottas and Massa are going might have to look to another team to break onto the grid haha!
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Sprint race results:

1. Johnny Cecotto, Jr. (Trident)
2. Stefano Coletti (Racing Engineering)
3. Raffaele Marciello (Racing Engineering)
4. Mitch Evans (RT RUSSIAN TIME)
5. Alexander Rossi (Caterham)
6. Jolyon Palmer (DAMS)
7. Julian Leal (Carlin)
8. Takuya Izawa (ART)

Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

-*:-
Rocks with Salt

Post by Rocks with Salt »

Unpopular opinion time: That GP2 race, at least the sprint race, was better than the actual F1 race [Braces for incoming projectiles].
...in bed.

1998 Monaco GP wrote:Murray Walker: A lot of people here are really debating if Riccardo Rosset is Formula 1 material.
Martin Brundle: Well, that's a fairly short debate, Murray.
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I think you are right actually. I thought both GP2 races were flipping brilliant. Some great overtaking and nice to see why Ferrari rate Marciello so much at last. He was probably the driver of the weekend for me although he did lose out to Coletti with his cooked tyres towards the end of Sunday's race. He did well to not go further backwards.

I was interested to see how Palmer had such an ordinary weekend. For someone dominating the points standings the way he is a 5th and 6th was pretty anonymous. I know he's not rated highly on here but he was showing signs of getting quite good last year although not to the levels he is showing in the DAMS.

The F1 race was enjoyable though, just not as exciting as the GP2. And someone made a move stick through Turn 5 (I forget who, was it Hulkenberg?) which Will Buxton had said was practically impossible all weekend long!
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

BigG80 wrote:I think you are right actually. I thought both GP2 races were flipping brilliant. Some great overtaking and nice to see why Ferrari rate Marciello so much at last. He was probably the driver of the weekend for me although he did lose out to Coletti with his cooked tyres towards the end of Sunday's race. He did well to not go further backwards.

I was interested to see how Palmer had such an ordinary weekend. For someone dominating the points standings the way he is a 5th and 6th was pretty anonymous. I know he's not rated highly on here but he was showing signs of getting quite good last year although not to the levels he is showing in the DAMS.

Palmer's struggles and Marciello and Vandoorne doing well could be well down to the fact that the latter two raced on the track last year: Vandoorne in Formula Renault 3.5 and Marciello in FIA European F3. Palmer on the other hand has no racing experience on the track, and neither have DAMS which probably prevented them from reigning like they have in the previous tracks.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:
BigG80 wrote:I think you are right actually. I thought both GP2 races were flipping brilliant. Some great overtaking and nice to see why Ferrari rate Marciello so much at last. He was probably the driver of the weekend for me although he did lose out to Coletti with his cooked tyres towards the end of Sunday's race. He did well to not go further backwards.

Palmer's struggles and Marciello and Vandoorne doing well could be well down to the fact that the latter two raced on the track last year: Vandoorne in Formula Renault 3.5 and Marciello in FIA European F3. Palmer on the other hand has no racing experience on the track, and neither have DAMS which probably prevented them from reigning like they have in the previous tracks.

DAMS run a team in FR3.5.
Everything's great.
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Salamander wrote:
wsrgo wrote:

A World Series car is very different from a GP2 car, so it wouldn't be exactly extrapolative.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

wsrgo wrote:
Salamander wrote:
wsrgo wrote:Palmer's struggles and Marciello and Vandoorne doing well could be well down to the fact that the latter two raced on the track last year: Vandoorne in Formula Renault 3.5 and Marciello in FIA European F3. Palmer on the other hand has no racing experience on the track, and neither have DAMS which probably prevented them from reigning like they have in the previous tracks.

A World Series car is very different from a GP2 car, so it wouldn't be exactly extrapolative.

But by that logic, Marciello and Vandoorne should have no advantage then.

Single seaters are single seaters - the cars might be different, but the general set up principles will apply on the same track.
Everything's great.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Salamander wrote:But by that logic, Marciello and Vandoorne should have no advantage then.

Single seaters are single seaters - the cars might be different, but the general set up principles will apply on the same track.

You're confusing things now. Their setup knowledge is not what gives them the advantage. It's that they know the fastest way around the track at all. They don't have to go through the learning curve while trying to get the setup spot on, they've already got their lines nailed down and can focus on getting the optiumum setup instead.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Biscione wrote:
Salamander wrote:But by that logic, Marciello and Vandoorne should have no advantage then.

You're confusing things now. Their setup knowledge is not what gives them the advantage. It's that they know the fastest way around the track at all. They don't have to go through the learning curve while trying to get the setup spot on, they've already got their lines nailed down and can focus on getting the optiumum setup instead.

Fair enough then.
Everything's great.
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

IMHO in GP3 Stoneman has been the best driver this yaer, Lynn is ver very quick but can't overtake. 0 points in any reverse grid races is just inexcuseable. Also, Zampirelli shouldn't have got a second season based on his 2013 form and Bernstoff was sublime in Spielberg
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

mrfakeboullier wrote:IMHO in GP3 Stoneman has been the best driver this yaer, Lynn is ver very quick but can't overtake. 0 points in any reverse grid races is just inexcuseable. Also, Zampirelli shouldn't have got a second season based on his 2013 form and Bernstoff was sublime in Spielberg

Given how quickly Lynn fell through the field in Barcelona I suspect he must've had an issue of some sort - I didn't see Austria, but he finished what, 18th? So I have trouble thinking that is properly representative of his ability.
Everything's great.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

mrfakeboullier wrote:Also, Zampirelli shouldn't have got a second season based on his 2013 form and Bernstoff was sublime in Spielberg

To be fair to Zampireli he has improved this season having scored a podium but going by that logic Jimmy Eriksson who currently lies 2nd overall shouldn't have been given a GP3 seat in 2014 because he scored 0 points
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Rocks with Salt wrote:Unpopular opinion time: That GP2 race, at least the sprint race, was better than the actual F1 race [Braces for incoming projectiles].

I don't think this is unpopular. GP2 races are more exciting than F1 races.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Salamander wrote:
mrfakeboullier wrote:IMHO in GP3 Stoneman has been the best driver this yaer, Lynn is ver very quick but can't overtake. 0 points in any reverse grid races is just inexcuseable. Also, Zampirelli shouldn't have got a second season based on his 2013 form and Bernstoff was sublime in Spielberg

Given how quickly Lynn fell through the field in Barcelona I suspect he must've had an issue of some sort - I didn't see Austria, but he finished what, 18th? So I have trouble thinking that is properly representative of his ability.

In Austria he was involved in some sort of collision and pitted on the first lap.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I was channel-hopping this evening and caught the highlights of the 5th round of the F3 Euroseries at Spa. I knew Verstappen was taking part but had forgotten/was reminded that Nissany and Beretta were also taking part. And is Tom Blomqvist the son of the Stig? One thing that I didn't realize before was that Calderon (whose name I had noticed in Autosport) was a lady whose first name was Tatiana! Pretty exciting for me, huh? But what excited me most was seeing the sidepod of Felipe Guimaraes's car (my signature pretty much puts all this into context :roll: ):

This, by the way, is now my mobile's wallpaper.
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

dr-baker wrote:I was channel-hopping this evening and caught the highlights of the 5th round of the F3 Euroseries at Spa. I knew Verstappen was taking part but had forgotten/was reminded that Nissany and Beretta were also taking part. And is Tom Blomqvist the son of the Stig? One thing that I didn't realize before was that Calderon (whose name I had noticed in Autosport) was a lady whose first name was Tatiana! Pretty exciting for me, huh? But what excited me most was seeing the sidepod of Felipe Guimaraes's car (my signature pretty much puts all this into context :roll: ):

This, by the way, is now my mobile's wallpaper.

Amazing painting. F1 needs to learn with the junior series who to make a good car painting in these days.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.