The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
LionZoo

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by LionZoo »

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

mario wrote:As might be expected, Fernandes is denying that the Caterham Group is up for sale; however, he has stated that Caterham are looking for investment, perhaps suggesting that something similar to the deal between Sahara and Force India is on the cards. http://www.f1technical.net/news/19381

Call me a cold-hearted cynic (no, please do!) but I'm thinking that he's said that purely to save face and keep his workforce motivated. What good is a team of people who know they'll possibly be out of a job at the end of the year?

The beautiful irony of Tony Fernandes' complaints about the F1 budget cap is that he's currently breaking the Football League financial regulations with QPR.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Caterham sells back Alpine stake to Renault.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/205462/1/c ... nture.html

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
IceG

Post by IceG »

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Yeah, I've heard about some German rumours saying Caterham might pull out mid-season... but this is harsh :shock:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport, or it ain't happening (or it is, them going to Austria, that is...)...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

That's unexpected! :o
mario

Post by mario »

IceG wrote:Missing Austria?: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28241.html

Even if the team has not been financially secure this season, quitting at this point in the season would be a big surprise.

Admittedly, Fernandes has been axing Caterham's involvement in motorsport with considerable speed - the team axed their plans for Le Mans almost immediately, though that seems to be in part because of the collapse in talks with Renault (the intention seems to have been to race under the Caterham-Alpine partnership that has fallen apart). I would not be surprised if they close down their GP2 team as well - their results have been somewhat indifferent for several years now - if the Moto2 team is also under threat.
Still, I would have assumed that Fernandes would at least want to close out the season - if he can keep the team as a going concern, that would increase his chances of a successful sale (shutting the whole outfit down immediately would surely be a rather expensive way of winding the company down).

Furthermore, there is always a chance that Caterham could break into the top 10 in the WCC - they only need a single 12th place finish to overtake Sauber, a tough but potentially achievable result. After all, in a race of attrition you'd probably back Caterham over Sauber, as their reliability this season has been so dire and their drivers somewhat accident prone (four retirements for each driver - although Gutierrez was technically classified in Canada, he retired on lap 64 with a defective energy recovery system).
If the standings were Marussia-Caterham-Sauber, then both Marussia and Caterham would be eligible for Column 2 payments (having both finished in the top 10 twice in the past three years) - it'd be a big kick in the teeth for Sauber though, as finishing last in the WCC would probably leave the team in financial ruins.

[EDIT] It would appear that Fernandes has issued a short comment via Twitter stating that Caterham definitely will be present at the Austrian GP, seemingly putting to rest those claims.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Fernandes hints at Caterham sale, saying “F1 hasn’t worked”
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-worked/

While I don't follow him on Twitter, if Tony tweeted that then deleted his account, that's.....ominous.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
girry

Post by girry »

Buxton hints the possible buyer being a familiar name.

You know what, I've just had this thought in my mind that the mysterious buyer may very well be a certain someone with close contacts with Honda....who used to have his team in the same outfit.....really, it makes way too much sense - I must stop thinking about it....
when you're dead people start listening
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:Fernandes hints at Caterham sale, saying “F1 hasn’t worked”
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-worked/

While I don't follow him on Twitter, if Tony tweeted that then deleted his account, that's.....ominous.

Adam Cooper has posted on his blog that Caterham are already on the verge of being taken over, with a decision due to be made in the upcoming days over the new owner. http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/06/27/new- ... -for-exit/
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Aerospeed

Post by Aerospeed »

For an important tweet, I'm surprised that nobody's taken a screenshot of it, but anyways, it's good to see the team being taken over as opposed to going the way of HRT. This whole scenario is all very bizarre, considering how many times the team has been linked to folding or taking over. I wonder if the team will be taken over mid-season like Midland was? It would make sense considering how Fernandes has basically fallen out of love for his team.
Mistakes in potatoes will ALWAYS happen :P
Trulli bad puns...
IN JAIL NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

$600 million?? What a waste of money. Scuderia Toro Rosso would only set you back $50-60 million.

Tony is a wheeler dealer, and I feel like the markup he's stuck on the team is somewhat prohibitive.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

Biscione wrote:$600 million?? What a waste of money. Scuderia Toro Rosso would only set you back $50-60 million.

Tony is a wheeler dealer, and I feel like the markup he's stuck on the team is somewhat prohibitive.

Can you provide a source for that rumoured price? I'd agree that a price tag of $600 million would be considerably more than the team is worth and is probably more money than Fernandes has put into the team over the entire course of its existence. For that sort of money, you could buy quite a few of the midfield teams - hell, for that sort of money you could probably buy a controlling share in a manufacturer team or even buy one of those teams outright.

Now, that price tag could be a little more realistic if it included other assets from the Caterham Group - if the deal was for Caterham Cars and for Caterham F1, then perhaps that valuation would make more sense. However, Autosport, who are reporting on the rumours, suggest that the deal, which they believe will go through by the British GP, would only involve the F1 team.
kevinbotz

Post by kevinbotz »

mario wrote:
Biscione wrote:$600 million?? What a waste of money. Scuderia Toro Rosso would only set you back $50-60 million.

Can you provide a source for that rumoured price? I'd agree that a price tag of $600 million would be considerably more than the team is worth and is probably more money than Fernandes has put into the team over the entire course of its existence. For that sort of money, you could buy quite a few of the midfield teams - hell, for that sort of money you could probably buy a controlling share in a manufacturer team or even buy one of those teams outright.

Now, that price tag could be a little more realistic if it included other assets from the Caterham Group - if the deal was for Caterham Cars and for Caterham F1, then perhaps that valuation would make more sense. However, Autosport, who are reporting on the rumours, suggest that the deal, which they believe will go through by the British GP, would only involve the F1 team.

A few months back, certain F1 news outlets reported on speculation that Fernandes was planning on divesting himself of all automotive related assets for 350 million GBP, which, presumably, was where the $600 million figure was derived from.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/17583 ... 50-million

As, at present, Fernandes appears to be willing to part with only his F1 outfit, rather than his entire automotive group, I'd expect the valuation for the sale to be considerably lower.
Klon, on Alt-F1 wrote: I like to think it's more poker than gambling, though.
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a Kolles and Albers reject dream team. These are great days.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
JJMonty
Location: Jersey! (The old one, not that American mk2 version!)

Post by JJMonty »

GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

ALBERS????? :lol:
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

Albers Dumbledore is going to have to work some serious magic if he intends to achieve his aim of 10th in this year's championship. Expect to see Kamui and Marcus shouting "Expelliarmus" everytime they get near a Sauber in the hope that the wheels fall off.
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

shinji wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a Kolles and Albers reject dream team. These are great days.

Huh. I bet nobody though Midland would be making a comeback 8 years later, but they sure showed us :lol:
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

GwilymJJames wrote:ALBERS????? :lol:

My reaction too. He's actually going to be the team principal if I read it correctly. Mind you, if decent drivers make crap team principles (Lauda, Prost, er, Fittipaldi?) perhaps a rejectful one could be onto something.
Just For One Day...
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Don't let Robert Doornbos close to Albers though, as far as I know, they can't stand each other. :lol:

But wow, Colin Kolles is back on track before his Forza Rossa project launches. Nice!

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

The question is this, will they be Catheram next year? Or that stupid Forza Rossa? Or Something else? Can we have another another Lotus vs. Loyus debacle? (Albers is supposed to drive the may or may not exist Lotus P1, isn't he?) Rejectdom abounds!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Wallio wrote:The question is this, will they be Catheram next year? Or that stupid Forza Rossa? Or Something else? Can we have another another Lotus vs. Loyus debacle? (Albers is supposed to drive the may or may not exist Lotus P1, isn't he?) Rejectdom abounds!

This has been speculated already, but maybe Kolles will fuse the Forza Rossa project with Catheram?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

GwilymJJames wrote:ALBERS????? :lol:

Well, even in his active racing days Albers was more a business man than a race driver.
Racing was more of a hobby to him and a hobby he was rather good at.
I'm surprised as I didn't expect him to show up at Caterham, but I'm certainly not shocked as this isn't out of a character for Albers.
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:
Wallio wrote:The question is this, will they be Catheram next year? Or that stupid Forza Rossa? Or Something else? Can we have another another Lotus vs. Loyus debacle? (Albers is supposed to drive the may or may not exist Lotus P1, isn't he?) Rejectdom abounds!

This has been speculated already, but maybe Kolles will fuse the Forza Rossa project with Catheram?

I was also curious as to how this would work out - Kolles is described as "advising" the investors buying Caterham F1, not leading them. It would be an interesting, and potentially somewhat dubious, situation if you had somebody like Kolles advising the management of one team and actively running a second team, but the comments so far seem to suggest that Caterham would continue as a separate outfit from Kolles's own team.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

mario wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:

I was also curious as to how this would work out - Kolles is described as "advising" the investors buying Caterham F1, not leading them. It would be an interesting, and potentially somewhat dubious, situation if you had somebody like Kolles advising the management of one team and actively running a second team, but the comments so far seem to suggest that Caterham would continue as a separate outfit from Kolles's own team.

As opposed to Toto Wolff who had his fingers in the proverbial Mercedes and Williams pies at once? :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

go home....
mario

Post by mario »

mario wrote:
Miguel98 wrote:

tommykl wrote:As opposed to Toto Wolff who had his fingers in the proverbial Mercedes and Williams pies at once? :P

Toto Wolff is in a somewhat different situation to Kolles though - whilst the thought had crossed my mind, I don't think that the situation is necessarily comparable.

Wolff has come to an agreement with Williams that means he is a passive investor in the team, which means he plays no part at all in the day to day running of the team - in fact, he has already sold off part of his stake in Williams and may be preparing to sell the whole lot. Kolles, by contrast, would be in a position where he could potentially involve himself in the day to day operations of two different teams, which is a much more involved role than Wolff had.
W12

Post by W12 »

Seriously :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go home, Christijan Albers! Ditto for Kolles :D
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

In before Albers replaces Ericsson from the Hockenheim Grand Prix onwards.
Abiteboul for TP at Ferrari? Mattiacci was always going to be a temporary solution, right?

It'll be great to see Kolles and Wolff in the paddock. Sparks will surely fly high when they clash for the first time.
I'm hoping for a fun press conference where the pair is seated next to each other :)
Remember, it is less than a year ago we got this wonderful news;
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ex-fo ... ail-wolff/
-*:-
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Either way Caterham just got a hell of a lot more interesting :D
Just For One Day...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Too bad Cyril "A Bit Of Bull" Abiteboul is out of the picture at Caterham now. His official statements always scored refreshingly low on the Publicocrapometer. That was almost the only refreshing thing left in F1. Now, let me get on to other things.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Woo, Dany Bahahahahahahahahahahabaha could be back in the house :P You can never have too many nutjobs in F1.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

'This is the End, Beautiful Caterham
Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain'

Kolles is Romanian!
http://youtu.be/JSUIQgEVDM4?t=57s
-*:-
chrismcn

Post by chrismcn »

Hi chums I'm not round these parts very often but todays news has drawn me like a moth to a flame or like a reject to a DNF if you prefer.

For me the big news has to be Manfredi Ravetto and not just because of his straight talking at HRT. "What Dallara delivered was a total mess," Dr Ravetto told the Dutch publication Formule 1 Race Report. "They built a formula one car with quality that you no longer see in Formula 3," he said, adding that Dallara cut corners by using cheap and low quality parts. Come on Man'i is the Caterham a total dog or what.

I think questions need to be raised over Tony Fernandes expectations and handling of the team. He is no doubt a successful business person but for me his questioning over the teams performance at the launch of this years car indicate a total lack of understanding of the basic principals of racing. Namely bitching and sniping about you're closest rivals while sucking up to the big teams in the misguided belief that they'll see you right at some later date. Albers, Ravetto and Kolles to form a misanthropic bunker of paranoid suspicion by the end of the season. The true values of racing.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:You can never have too many nutjobs in F1.

In fact, to take the takagi win blokes statement a step further I'd argue that F1 currently is in dire need for more nutjobs.

Bring back Prince Malik Ado Ibrahim!
Just For One Day...
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Surely Karthikeyan will be racing for Caterham (if the name still stays the same!) in Germany!

Wouldnt that be great!!!
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!