Your reject of the race - Hungary

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
sswishbone

Your reject of the race - Hungary

Post by sswishbone »

A spectacular race with all sorts going on who are your nominations?

Force India - blew out both cars to silly driver errors

Mclaren strategy - threw away a potential podium by sticking with inters when the entire field went to options
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Londoner

Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Londoner »

Where do we start here?

Marcus Ericsson - Yeah, writing off a Caterham isn't the best way to endear yourself to new owners
Romain Grosjean - Dropped it behind the SC. I reckon he's had quite enough of that Lotus.
McLaren strategists - Great job chaps
Sauber - Usual nomination, after a race like this they still have nil pois.

But ROTR easily goes to:

Force India - Oh dear. Oh dear me. Two wrecked cars, and the indignity of team mates colliding as well.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Re: Your Reject of the Race - Hungary

Post by Miguel98 »

Right, a couple of nominees:

Lotus:
Grosjean is tired of that place, and they we're bad overall. Turns out, Maldonado, somehow, was running in the points. But overall, they're really crap and I'm actually starting to wonder if Grosjean will even finish the season.

Force India:
Force India, why we're you so crap? Both cars retired, team-mates colliding. That's not the way you should be doing things definetelly.

McLaren:
Letting Jenson and Kevin on intermediates was not a good idea. Clear RoTR material there.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1)Romain Grosjean: Toss it behind the safety car like a rookie. C'mon, man!

2)Nico Rosberg's inability to pass without orders: Hamilton wasn't going to toss away the WDC when Nico wasn't even close to make a move

Dishonorable mentions to Force India (both cars on the walls isn't good), Williams' and McLaren's strategy(again on the wrong side), and Sauber(should've capitalize the mess)

The Grumpy Champ Award goes to Seb Vettel: Ending behing Kimi while Smile won isn't gonna make him particulary happy
roblo97

Re: Your reject of the race - Hungary

Post by roblo97 »

Could this please be merged into East Londoner's thread for ROTR?
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Grosjean gets it for me. Binning it under the safety car is quite rejectful and embarrassing whether it was driver error or not.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

ROTR: McLaren's strategy. That was probably the worst race strategy I've ever seen.

SeedStriker wrote:2)Nico Rosberg's inability to pass without orders: Hamilton wasn't going to toss away the WDC when Nico wasn't even close to make a move

So it's Rosberg's fault his setup didn't account for him being in the traffic? Please.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Grosjean - crashing behind the SC, really?
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I will painstakingly award it to my favourite drivers. It hurt to see Grosjean and Hulkenberg just drop their cars into the walls. (I guess it carried over from the GP2 when Dillmann over-cooked it into the chicane.)

...sigh...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Grosjean: Spun out during the Safety car. First time we saw the "SC will stay out" message in F1 because this. I think its enough for ROTR. :lol:

Special Mention:

Perez:Crashed with his team-mate and ends the day in the wall. 0 points and a repair bill to pay. Not the best way to celebrate the return of Mexican Grand Prix.

Williams strategist and the Medium tyres strategy: As Massa said in the post race interview: the car is slow with Medium tyres. A pretty bad strategy error that costed a shot for the podium. By far, Williams have the worst race strategists of the season. Also, this strategy destroyed Vergne amazing race, as well Vettel. (only worked with Hamilton)

Mclaren strategists: Did worse than Williams and this costed important points in the battle for the 5th place with Force India.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Either Grosjean or the Force India drivers, can't decide which. Grosjean probably gets it for the comedy value of crashing under the safety car.

Dishonourable mention to my Sky Box which lost signal mid-race so I saw nothing between Perez's crash and about lap 43. So I've no idea how Hamilton got ahead of Rosberg!!
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Unfortunately, despite being quite a fan of both their drivers, I'm going to have to say Force India. Both cars out early on, yet still managing to collide with one another during that short time. It can't have gone much worse, really
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Quite a few candidates today - The Mclaren strategists, Ericsson, Pasta, the Force Indias, Vettel's pathetic spin.

But as much as it pains me, going to have to go with RoGro for such a rookie mistake.
Last edited by SgtPepper on 27 Jul 2014, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Lots of possible candidates this time:

Mclaren: I can understand risking with Magnussen and keep him out, but why on earth did you decide to risk with Button who had a good position at the time?
Lotus: First Maldonado have technical problems in qualifying, then Grosjean manages to find a wall behind a safety car and on top of that Maldonado crashes with Bianchi... You know guys, there might have been small chance for a points in this race but that´s not the way to get into top 10.
Williams: Bit odd tactics there but even that only takes a bronze medal on bad tactical decisions with Ferrari (with Kimi in qualifying) and McLaren managing to make even bigger mistakes. Again, I can understand taking the risk on Bottas who was bit behind after that first safety car came in the wrong time but Massa was 2nd at that time.
Marcus Eriksson: If you going to be that slow, I would at least expect you to get into goal like Chilton.. sorry Mr. Talent does but guess not.
Nico Rosberg: Not really a horrible race but when you have the best car, start on pole position and come on the finish line 4th, something must have gone wrong. Yes, the safety car did hurt but it was same for Alonso and he was second with far slower car.

However the first plaze must go to Sergio Perez. With McLaren making poor tactical decisions, Force India had a good shot on making a bit of a cap to them on constructors points but instead, Perez first had contact with Vettel, than he crashes with his own team mate and takes him out and on top of that spins right to the wall and causes a safety car that helped McLaren drivers catch the rest of the field and partly helped Button to get one point out from a poor race.

Edit: Changing my nomination to Force India in general since it was Hulkenberg, not Perez who caused the collision between team mates.
Last edited by Zergon on 27 Jul 2014, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Zergon wrote:However the first plaze must go to Sergio Perez. With McLaren making poor tactical decisions, Force India had a good shot on making a bit of a cap to them on constructors points but instead, Perez first had contact with Vettel, than he crashes with his own team mate and takes him out and on top of that spins right to the wall and causes a safety car that helped McLaren drivers catch the rest of the field and partly helped Button to get one point out from a poor race.

The Force India fratricide was Hulkenberg's fault - he was the one who had the over-ambitious dive. Not Perez.
Everything's great.
W12

Post by W12 »

Grosjean - Crashing under SC? Really?
Born on the same day as HWNSNBM!

Fan of: Ricciardo, Räikkönen and Marussia (R.I.P?).
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Lots of candidates including McLaren for making a total mess of strategy for both cars, and Grosjean, but I'll give it to Force India as although their car wasn't brilliant they could surely have had quite a few points there.

The cameramen were working hard to win it too, by repeatedly missing cars spinning off.
girry

Post by girry »

Salamander wrote:
Zergon wrote:However the first plaze must go to Sergio Perez. With McLaren making poor tactical decisions, Force India had a good shot on making a bit of a cap to them on constructors points but instead, Perez first had contact with Vettel, than he crashes with his own team mate and takes him out and on top of that spins right to the wall and causes a safety car that helped McLaren drivers catch the rest of the field and partly helped Button to get one point out from a poor race.

The Force India fratricide was Hulkenberg's fault - he was the one who had the over-ambitious dive. Not Perez.

Was it him? Is there video material/comments by the drivers because I surely thought it was the other way round?
when you're dead people start listening
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Salamander wrote:

Watched that again and you are right, Finnish TV had the graphics the wrong way around so I thought that Perez was the one behind...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

giraurd wrote:
Salamander wrote:

Was it him? Is there video material/comments by the drivers because I surely thought it was the other way round?

Fairly certain it was. Hulkenberg dived in, clipped Perez, wrecked his front wing and couldn't turn after that so he just understeered into the wall and out of the race.
Everything's great.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Hulkenberg made a VERY compelling argument but going to have to go for Grosjean! Criminal mistake...

Dj_bereta wrote:Williams strategist and the Medium tyres strategy: As Massa said in the post race interview: the car is slow with Medium tyres. A pretty bad strategy error that costed a shot for the podium. By far, Williams have the worst race strategists of the season. Also, this strategy destroyed Vergne amazing race, as well Vettel. (only worked with Hamilton)

I think that Williams just wasn't quite fast enough today regardless. This track really didn't suit them, so I really doubt they could have got much more than they did, maybe 5th and 6th was the maximum. Also, Massa had the older-specification floor which probably didn't help matters either.

Salamander wrote:Fairly certain it was. Hulkenberg dived in, clipped Perez, wrecked his front wing and couldn't turn after that so he just understeered into the wall and out of the race.

Let's hear from the Hulk himself:
"It was not the best day in the office and I'm feeling very disappointed. The track was drying out and I was quite close behind Checo when I made contact with him at the final corner. The previous lap he had taken a much wider line so I tried to overtake on the inside, but he took a tighter line and I couldn't back out of the move. I made contact with his car, lost my front wing and went straight on into the barrier. It was my mistake and I've apologised to the team. It's especially frustrating because there was a lot of potential in this race, but I guess it was one of those days when things didn't go our way."

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/7/16174.html
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

This is a tough one because there are two stand out nominations

I would Love to give it to Force India for their drivers idiocy at times but the other main Nomination takes the win (I won't even bother with Mclaren and Williams because over the years history has shown that they rarely get wet weather right (Monaco 1997 Belgium 1997 and 98 China 2007 Italy 2008))

My award goes to Romain Grosjean who managed to bin it under a safty car. Thats something I would expect of his team-mate NOT him. And to think people were saying he could join Ferrari!!! :lol:
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Joint award to Grrrrjjjjnnnn and Force India.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

I'm quite surprised with all the nominations for McLaren, if the rain really did come down, then they would have pulled off a great strategy. Sometimes, you've got to take the risks to get the reward.

ROTR for Grosjean, binning it behind the Safety Car is a reject-worthy offence at any race.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

andrew2209 wrote:I'm quite surprised with all the nominations for McLaren, if the rain really did come down, then they would have pulled off a great strategy. Sometimes, you've got to take the risks to get the reward.

Yeah, but when you make a call like that, you shouldn't put all your eggs in the same basket.
Everything's great.
bsoyuz

Post by bsoyuz »

Grosejan, that move, no words
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Grosjean - Non-forced safety car off's are an instant RotR, for both fail and comedy value
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Grosjean, sadly.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
LellaLombardi

Post by LellaLombardi »

Grosjean, unfortunately. He seems to perpetually hover between flashes of brilliance which should earn him a better drive, and utterly rejectful moments. I agree than Team Enstone is one of the worst places to be at the moment and he needs to get out of there, but this won't do him any favours. :|
Maria De Villotta will forever be badass. Rest in Peace.
Pulling for Schumi and Jules.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

LellaLombardi wrote:Grosjean, unfortunately. He seems to perpetually hover between flashes of brilliance which should earn him a better drive, and utterly rejectful moments. I agree than Team Enstone is one of the worst places to be at the moment and he needs to get out of there, but this won't do him any favours. :|

I hope that was a one off. That silly incident was the first for RoGro all year. I can't remember any moments this year where Grosjean has crashed or spun out, except for the practice shunt in Melbourne. Anyway if there were one place I'd expect Romain to bin it, it would be Monaco but he scored points there instead. Really he has been consistently brilliant all year, even if Maldonado has been beating him recently.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Romain Grosjean -- Can't think of the last time anyone crashed under the safety car...
McLaren -- Hopeless strategy calls.
Nico Hulkenberg -- Too much #yolo, not enough #swag.

I'm sorry about that last one.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

I did consider McLaren for using a weather radar they bought on ebay. But they would have been heroes if the gamble had worked.

For me it has to be Mercedes for dilligently chucking the victory away. First by torching Hamilton's car. Then by bathplugging Rosberg's strategy. Then for suggesting to Lewis, who had fought his way from last to fourth place, that he should slow down to let Nico past. As if!!!!!!! Then for pitting Nico too late anyway.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Cynon wrote:Romain Grosjean -- Can't think of the last time anyone crashed under the safety car...

Was it Vettel when he nearly ran into the back of Ricciardo a couple of years back, and crashed into the DRS sign (or a distance marker? I can't remember) in Abu Dhabi? Granted it wasn't as destructive though...
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

If I remember well, the last time that someone crashed during Safety car was Vettel in Japanese Grand Prix of 2007 season.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Grosjean, even the camera man was too embarrassed to watch.
Making up the numbers
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Grosjean had a red-hot go at winning this one, and Williams' strategy choices continue to fill me with despair, (I will give McLaren a pass as they would have been legends if their gamble on more rain came off), but the Force India drivers together just managed to outdo Grosjean's safety car crash. In it's own way, that's quite impressive.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Rosberg - Many will and have defended him and even suggested Hamilton was out of order for not slowing down to let the little git past and even, oh my, making it difficult to over-take later on but the cold facts are he started on pole whilst his team-mate started in the pits behind another car and he still got beat. Humiliating.

Grosjean - No, NO NO ROMAIN!We don't do that stuff anymore!
Just For One Day...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I see people nominating McLaren, and I would have agreed with them if the race hadn't been filled with kek all around.

CoopsII wrote:Rosberg - Many will and have defended him and even suggested Hamilton was out of order for not slowing down to let the little git past and even, oh my, making it difficult to over-take later on but the cold facts are he started on pole whilst his team-mate started in the pits behind another car and he still got beat. Humiliating.

To be fair to Rosberg, it wasn't his fault he ended up behind Hamilton. Lewis never passed Nico on track, it was Nico's strategy that left him in traffic, which Lewis never had to endure (except behind Vettel, but Nico spent the same time right behind Vergne). I don't blame Hamilton for not letting Rosberg through in those final laps, when it was for position, but when Rosberg asked to be let through, I don't think anyone could foresee him being able to make up the 21 second deficit in ten laps. At the time, it seemed like a sensible decision to let him through.

And therefore, I would like to give the award jointly to Romain Grosjean for crashing under the safety car, Nico Hülkenberg for committing the cardinal sin of crashing into your teammate and Sergio Pérez for what can be called a rookie mistake. I can forgive Ericsson, it's his first year, but Pérez really shouldn't be making this kind of error well into his fourth season.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

tommykl wrote:I can forgive Ericsson, it's his first year, but Pérez really shouldn't be making this kind of error well into his fourth season.

Considering a 4-time World Champion came within an inch of having the exact same accident a few laps later, I wouldn't hold it against Perez too much.
Everything's great.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Salamander wrote:
tommykl wrote:I can forgive Ericsson, it's his first year, but Pérez really shouldn't be making this kind of error well into his fourth season.

Considering a 4-time World Champion came within an inch of having the exact same accident a few laps later, I wouldn't hold it against Perez too much.

Ah, but there's almost having a crash, then there's not being able to save it. If it was so treacherous, why did only two drivers trip on that kerb?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?