2014 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

2014 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Londoner »

Some news to start us off is that Adrian Sutil believes Eau Rouge may not be able to be taken flat out with the new cars. Funnily enough, #GiedoVanDerGod believes otherwise in the same article. :P

Van Der God's also gonna be doing FP1 in place of Gutierrez.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Shizuka

Re: 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by Shizuka »

Oh the times when a bet was on at BAR about the flat out Eau Rouge... :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Shizuka wrote:Oh the times when a bet was on at BAR about the flat out Eau Rouge... :lol:

I'm actually going to be at Eau Rouge on the Friday. I look forward to their attempts :twisted:
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

East Londoner wrote:Some news to start us off is that Adrian Sutil believes Eau Rouge may not be able to be taken flat out with the new cars. Funnily enough, #GiedoVanDerGod believes otherwise in the same article. :P

I predict that Gutierrez will be at the back of the grid after not being able to participate in qualifying. :lol:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

It'll be exciting to watch the new cars, not only through Eau rouge, but also Blanchimont, Poulon and Les Combes. I am actually going to be commentating this race live, as my racing league are having a go for the first time... It'll be a train wreck lol
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Some news to start us off is that Adrian Sutil believes Eau Rouge may not be able to be taken flat out with the new cars. Funnily enough, #GiedoVanDerGod believes otherwise in the same article. :P

I think that it is possible that the tail end of the grid could struggle through that complex and Sauber are certainly one team that appear to have a relatively poor handling car. On the other hand, it might be one circumstance where the Renault and Ferrari powered teams, by virtue of being underpowered relative to Mercedes, might find it easier to go flat out simply because their entry speed is likely to be much lower than the Mercedes powered teams.Further up the field though, I can see Mercedes and Red Bull potentially going through the corner flat out given that those two teams seem to have particularly good chassis designs this season.

What might be particularly interesting is how the drivers cope with the double left hander of Pouhon - even the best cars of the V8 era could not quite take it flat out, with many having to lift slightly in the middle of the corner. I can also see a few drivers possibly spinning out on the corner of Courbe Paul Frere - normally it'd be pretty easy to simply nail the throttle and power out of that corner, but I wonder if some may potentially lose the back end of the car over the kerbs there if they drift out a bit too wide.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Yes, please. That would be great and we are long overdue for a driver change.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Aye, but he hasn't driven an F1 car since 2002 it says he'd likely be taking Kamui's seat which would be tragic!

But then again Andre's number 1 driver from Spyker in a GP4 F1 Manager forum game over at GrandPrixGames, so yay!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

This would be terrible, Kobayashi has worked wonders in that dog, how would Lotterer possibly be able to overhaul that with ten years out? Don't get me wrong, I was at le mans this year, I think he's great, but replacing Kobayashi, no thanks!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
girry

Post by girry »

I am a massive, massive Koba fan but I really hope this happens. It'd be about time F1 fans saw there are fast drivers in the world not F1 or the European junior formulae, too....

(...ok - to think of it, the fans won't even look. But still, Lotterer would be super interesting to see in F1.)
when you're dead people start listening
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

If he brings money, I wonder if it's not Ericsson that will be replaced... I mean, Kobayashi is doing things with that car that no one would expect from the Catheram.

EDIT: WUT https://twitter.com/andyhone/status/501440126309122049
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Count me as another Kobayashi fan, but as Caterham are rapidly spiralling into an outfit not too dissimilar to something akin from the early/mid-1990s with lawsuits, changes of ownership, cash problems, etc, now all we need is random driver changes for one or two races!

I mean let's be fair, yes Kamui has given it a fair crack this year, but he's not where he should be, he can't exploit his banzai driving, and so really it's no massive loss if he is replaced. I'd like to see Lotterer given a chance in an F1 car - even if we know he's going to be off the pace.

EDIT: Will Buxton is on the Max Verstappen news as well: https://twitter.com/willbuxton/status/501441704827060224
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Yes I think that would be really unjust if it was Kobayashi dumped and not Ericsson should it happen. Ericsson has been nothing short of woeful this season seemingly crashing on a weekly basis and as I've said before it's got to the point where I expect it to happen. In my eyes he's been even worse than Van der Garde was at the start of last season but unlike Van der Garde I've seen no signs of improvement from him. And this is coming from someone who wants all Swedish stars to do well

Kobayashi by comparison has been outqualifying Chilton's much faster Marussia in the last few races and done well to hold on to Bianchi at times too. I know who I'd keep
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Yes I think that would be really unjust if it was Kobayashi dumped and not Ericsson should it happen. Ericsson has been nothing short of woeful this season seemingly crashing on a weekly basis and as I've said before it's got to the point where I expect it to happen. In my eyes he's been even worse than Van der Garde was at the start of last season but unlike Van der Garde I've seen no signs of improvement from him. And this is coming from someone who wants all Swedish stars to do well

Kobayashi by comparison has been outqualifying Chilton's much faster Marussia in the last few races and done well to hold on to Bianchi at times too. I know who I'd keep

Depends on sponsorship, and I'm led to believe Ericsson has a bigger package than Kamui. Didn't Kamui say he was happy to drive for free, if it meant he could stay in F1?
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

If Lotterer does indeed replace Kobayashi, I would just be surprised. Not because I think he doesn't have the talent, it's pretty clear that he's got what it takes, but because I've never seen him as someone looking to make it to Formula One. Shame he would be replacing Kobayashi, but the reasons are inevitable, and if it helps Caterham survive that little bit longer, then so be it. I just hope Kobayashi can find a drive elsewhere.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Get rid of your more experienced, quicker driver for a 32 year old Le Mans Driver and SuperLeague Formula driver. Great logic

What's the point in having all those drivers in your youth academy as well?
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

In that case, IIDOTR would right now go to Andre Lotterer, because where did that come from?

I always thought Lotterer deserved a go, but that one's about ten years too late.

EDIT: the Verstappen rumor has just been confirmed at Servus TV, Red Bull's own TV station. :shock:
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

In all seriousness, if this is indeed true, I've no idea why Caterham would take Andre over Kamui unless Andre is paying for his seat. Even if Andre was the bastard best sports car driver of all the times, F1 is a completely different series with completely different cars that would require a hell of a lot of adaptation and practice to drive efficiently. Andre's time in an F1 car was over ten years ago and he never even raced - it was a test gig. What hope does he have in a grand prix? Even replacing wee Marcusson would be a terrible idea, because even though he's been rubbish he's actually driven the damn car.

Sorry, but Caterham would be absolutely out of their mind to put Andre in that car.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

East Londoner wrote:
Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Yes I think that would be really unjust if it was Kobayashi dumped and not Ericsson should it happen. Ericsson has been nothing short of woeful this season seemingly crashing on a weekly basis and as I've said before it's got to the point where I expect it to happen. In my eyes he's been even worse than Van der Garde was at the start of last season but unlike Van der Garde I've seen no signs of improvement from him. And this is coming from someone who wants all Swedish stars to do well

Depends on sponsorship, and I'm led to believe Ericsson has a bigger package than Kamui. Didn't Kamui say he was happy to drive for free, if it meant he could stay in F1?

oooerr vicar.....
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:

Yeah, Koba IS driving without a salary. It's far too costly for Caterham to can Ericsson, since he's bringing a hefty wad of cash. I would never say Ericsson has been "woeful", Freezy, (that would be a little melodramatic) he just hasn't done anything particularly good. Kobayashi's been much quicker, but where Caterham are it's not much use to them. If Lotterer has managed to conjure up enough of a dowry to make them pay attention, then that's going to be the defining factor I'm afraid.

We know Lotterer is quick, but he's been out of F1 machinery for a VERY long time. It's a really surprising move if it comes off.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
mario

Post by mario »

tommykl wrote:If Lotterer does indeed replace Kobayashi, I would just be surprised. Not because I think he doesn't have the talent, it's pretty clear that he's got what it takes, but because I've never seen him as someone looking to make it to Formula One. Shame he would be replacing Kobayashi, but the reasons are inevitable, and if it helps Caterham survive that little bit longer, then so be it. I just hope Kobayashi can find a drive elsewhere.

I also have to agree that, as choices go, Lotterer would be an extremely unusual choice - for a start, how does that work when he is still under contract with Audi for the World Endurance Championship?

The Singapore GP occurs on the same race weekend as the next sprint race (the 6 Hours of Austin) in the WEC, and I can't imagine Audi would appreciate that: Lotterer's own Twitter feed has a comment from only 12 hours ago saying that he is going to Misano for the latest test with the R18 and is still listed as an entrant for the Super Formula race in Motegi on the 24th.

Now, it seems that Lotterer does qualify for a superlicence because he is currently competing in the Super Formula series in Japan, which counts as an FIA accredited series, and his 2nd place in the championship last season is enough for a superlicence. Still, as others have pointed out, it's a long time since he drove an F1 car (it seems that the last time was in 2008 when testing the TF108 for Toyota), and although he has driven fast open wheeled cars, I had always thought of him as having a stronger preference for sportscar racing.

Asides from that, financially I can't see how the deal works either - Kobayashi is effectively driving for free, and as far as I am aware Lotterer doesn't seem to have any personal backers who'd have the money to broker such a deal. We'll see what happens, but it almost feels more like some sort of elaborate practical joke than a real announcement...

mediocre wrote:In that case, IIDOTR would right now go to Andre Lotterer, because where did that come from?

I always thought Lotterer deserved a go, but that one's about ten years too late.

EDIT: the Verstappen rumor has just been confirmed at Servus TV, Red Bull's own TV station. :shock:

And now it seems Verstappen has posted the announcement onto his webpage, where he is stating that he will drive for Toro Rosso in 2015 alongside Kvyat. http://www.verstappen.nl/?locatie=beric ... 79&lang=en

Honestly, I have to wonder what is going through the minds of those in charge of the Red Bull Junior Team - call this an unpopular opinion, but it almost feels as if Red Bull are acting in an impulsive manner and are rushing Max into the sport far too quickly. I think that Will Buxton's comment on the situation is rather apt:
If Red Bull nurture Max his could be an exceptional talent. If not, he'll be in and out of F1 before he's old enough to drink champagne.

OK, Kvyat was also brought into F1 at an unusually young age by Red Bull, but at least Kvyat had more experience under his belt - Kvyat had nearly 150 races in Formula Renault 2.0, GP3 and Formula 3 under his belt before he stepped into an F1 car, whilst Max hasn't even racked up 40 races yet.
Yes, I know Kimi was very inexperienced too, but he was also able to enter the sport in an era when testing was unlimited - it was on the back of a test session for Sauber that Peter Sauber made the decision to hire Kimi, whilst Max Verstappen hasn't even sat inside an F1 car yet. Surely you would want him to actually test a car first before offering him a seat to make sure he can deliver...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am not convinced by Autosport's argument that Verstappen is ready for F1. OK, so he knows how to drive an F3 car well. But that does not always translate to good F1 performances - just ask Jackie Stewart about Jan Magnussen...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

I realise this place is a Kobayashi fan stronghold, but....

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Damn it, I know he'd struggle given how he has absolutely zero knowledge of the car, but I never thought this day would come, so I'm still elated. Andre Lotterer in F1. YES! YES! YES! SO MUCH YES! A MILLION TIMES YES! He's going to get beaten my Ericsson and I DON'T EVEN CARE!

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING! SUCK IT JAGUAR, HE FINALLY MADE IT!

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I think that Lotterer will flop compared to Ericsson.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

dr-baker wrote:I am not convinced by Autosport's argument that Verstappen is ready for F1. OK, so he knows how to drive an F3 car well. But that does not always translate to good F1 performances - just ask Jackie Stewart about Jan Magnussen...

The same autosport who published an article of Gary Anderson saying team orders are important for F1. Just days before the Bahrain Grand Prix with full of team mates battles.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Andre Lotterer? I really did think it was April 1 for a second
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Andre Lotterer? I really did think it was April 1 for a second

Let's all party like it's 2002!
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

And yet Bjorn Wirdheim continues to get overlooked...
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Backmarker wrote:And yet Bjorn Wirdheim continues to get overlooked...

As does Ryo Fukuda...
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

Maybe Caterham took a look how Lotterer performed in my Alternate GP2 Series.
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

watka wrote:

As does Ryo Fukuda...

Tomas Schekter is viewing all of this with a sad look on his face.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:Tomas Schekter is viewing all of this with a sad look on his face.

I'd say it's more a look of shame...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
watka wrote:

As does Ryo Fukuda...

And James Courtney is looking like this:

The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

East Londoner wrote:Adrian Sutil believes Eau Rouge may not be able to be taken flat out with the new cars.

Lewis Hamilton said this about three months ago. I believe it was in an interview by Peter Windsor.
-*:-
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Jocke1 wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Adrian Sutil believes Eau Rouge may not be able to be taken flat out with the new cars.

Lewis Hamilton said this about three months ago. I believe it was in an interview by Peter Windsor.[/quote]

I've said it before and I'll say it again, how the hell does he still have a job?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
watka wrote:

As does Ryo Fukuda...

I hear Emmanuel Collard might also be in talks for a race seat...
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

My German's less than perfect but from what I understand it's official:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 46461.html

Lotterer is bringing sponsorship from energy drinks manufacturer Hype to the team. Sadly it is indeed Kamui that he's replacing this weekend. :cry:
#FreeGonzo
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Let me lead the new "Go home Colin Kolles!" chant. Caterham is now officially the new HRT. (Though unofficially they've been the new HRT for quite some time.)
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

LionZoo wrote:Let me lead the new "Go home Colin Kolles!" chant.

Go home LionZoo! You won't take this away from me! :evil:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image