2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Londoner

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by Londoner »

This probably explains it

Still, I can't imagine how gutted Sainz Jr must be tonight. Chap's done everything that could be expected of him from Red Bull. :|
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

It was expected since Red Bull chooses Ricciardo in the last year, but Red Bull is doing a mistake (especially because Vergne don't deserve to be replaced, yet). Max is too young and also this is a big slap in Sainz Jr's, Lynn's and Ghasly's face. It's better for these drivers for look a race seat somewhere outside of Red Bull.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

East Londoner wrote:This probably explains it

Still, I can't imagine how gutted Sainz Jr must be tonight. Chap's done everything that could be expected of him from Red Bull. :|

Now they'll probably end up destroying that potential champion in the process.

And yeah, you gotta feel for Carlos. Winning FR3.5 and a guy who's not even winning F3 is getting a drive over him.
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:What on EARTH are Toro Rosso doing? So you've got Carlos Sainz Jr who's winning FR3.5 at a canter, Pierre Gasly who's 3rd in the same championship in his first season, and Alex Lynn who's ripping GP3 apart. It's not only common sense, but common etiquette to select one of those three.

Instead, they've pretty much told their own driver development squad to go f*ck itself and will instead stick some 17-year-old in they picked up a couple of weeks ago. Now, that's forgivable if he's completely and utterly amazing. Oh, wait? He's not even WINNING F3?

I don't even know what the thought process is here. Sainz Jr has experience of F1 machinery, Gasly's a Ghost type and so will be unaffected by physical moves, and Lynn's the option if they wanted to try The Kvyat Strategy V2.0. Max Verstappen hasn't even been out of karts for a year.

IF, just IF (which, as a certain motormouth commentator is at liberty to tell us, is F1 backwards) Verstappen manages to adapt in record time, then it would appear to be a masterstroke. However, the implications if it did work out would be a catastrophe for the lower feeder series. In the early 2000s where Button and Raikkonen made it more fashionable to pluck drivers from lower down it hastened the end of F3000. It might trigger a similar fate for GP2.

Whilst I could see some logic in their decision to pick Kvyat last season, this time around I am, like yourself, struggling to see the justification.

As you say, Red Bull have three drivers who are seemingly demonstrating their ability with exactly the sort of performances you'd think Red Bull are looking for, whilst Sainz Jr. has already tested for both Red Bull and Toro Rosso and was reportedly commended for his performance and for the technical feedback that he provided (both of which reportedly exceeded expectations).
In terms of technical ability and experience, all of their current drivers outshine Max Verstappen in those areas - you'd have thought that, at the very least, they might have waited until he had carried out a test session against one of their established junior drivers, who could act as a known yardstick, and proven his ability before offering him a race seat.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Maybe Jos threatened to run Helmut over?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

fjackdaw wrote:Maybe Jos threatened to run Helmut over?

Don't think so. Jos made the mistake of coming to soon and we saw how his carrer ended up.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Miguel98 wrote:

Don't think so. Jos made the mistake of coming to soon and we saw how his carrer ended up.

Then again, Jos was never the sharpest tool in the shed...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

:lol:
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Honestly, why? What must Sainz jr, Gasly and Lynn be thinking? They must be wondering what more must they do to get into F1 - same with most other drivers now in GP2, GP3 and FR3.5 when they try their all to get any F1 seat, then see someone 3 years younger get handed an F1 debut like a sweetie

The only logic I can see in this is that Max is a Vettel 2.0 in that Red Bull stick with Vettel for 5 years, which gives Max plenty of time to get experience, then phase Vettel out while gradually rebuilding the team around Verstappen so he can do in 2020-2023 what Vettel did in 2010-2013. In a way thats how Red Bull operates, build a team round 1 driver while grooming the 2nd in Toro Rosso then when new regs come in, quietly shuffle off/retire driver 1 to make way for driver 2. Coulthard was first, Vettel was 2nd, Verstappen 3rd?

Its still an incredible gamble though for both driver and team. Going by the way Toro Rosso chew up drivers, I wouldnt be surprised if hes out of F1 entirely before he hits 20 either. Whether thats fair and ethical is another debate. I'd also like to see what Massa would think of it...
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Max is only just old enough to be in a pit lane at a race weekend!
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

It'd be really awkward if Max got on the podium before he's 18. What are they going to give him, Diet Coke?
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

When I first saw it I thought it was a joke- I'm stunned. Talk about the blind leading the blind!!!!
If Max gets onto the podium in america he will have to wait until 2018 before taking a drink!!

Seriously I don't care how amazing he is- The FIA should have an age limit of 19 and over to compete in f1!

Not surprised though about Vergne losing his seat though- it is a bit early to announce it though- I wonder where his mindset will be for the rest of the season!!!
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Verstappen's son in F1... I now feel ancient!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Mexicola wrote:It'd be really awkward if Max got on the podium before he's 18. What are they going to give him, Diet Coke?

Surely you only have to be 18 to buy alcohol, not to actually drink it?

I'm reasonably certain there's no law against people under 18 drinking alcohol - in the UK, anyway...
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

rachel1990 wrote:Seriously I don't care how amazing he is- The FIA should have an age limit of 19 and over to compete in f1!

This is actually not a bad idea in my opinion. There's too many inexperienced kids being pushed into F1 and the idea of entering F1 at this kind of age becoming the norm scares the shite out of me. One day the grid will be filled people who are too young and too inexperienced and it will suck.

Besides that, with underage drinking unlikely to be promoted by the FIA, podium ceremonies will start being like this.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Paul Hayes wrote:
Mexicola wrote:It'd be really awkward if Max got on the podium before he's 18. What are they going to give him, Diet Coke?

I'm reasonably certain there's no law against people under 18 drinking alcohol - in the UK, anyway...

It's illegal to drink under 18 in Northern Ireland, but it's different in GB though. I didn't care enough to explain worldwide swallin' laws in my post :P
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Three things about this Verstappen decision particularly confound me.

1) Talent alone has never been enough to get someone in the Red Bull Junior program all the way to F1 (unless your name was Vettel). Talent gets you into the program, but then it's application and the ability to overcome perceived weaknesses that gets you to F1 (greetings, Antonio Felix da Costa). Max hasn't had the time to prove himself in the crucible of the program, and it seems like he's being fast-tracked on the basis of raw talent alone. I haven't seen a punt like this since Raikkonen, but as dr-baker points out elsewhere, at least Sauber saw Kimi in an F1 test before picking him.

2) F1 is not just about ability. It's also about fitness, stamina, mental agility, tactical nous, technical understanding, the ability to deal with the press, and being able to withstand the wrath of the F1 Rejects podcast. There's a reason that, up to this point, the youngest drivers to get into F1 have all been around the 19 mark at best. You need a certain level of maturity. 17 is a quantum leap from 19. I agree that this is a slap in the face, not only for the other Red Bull Junior drivers, but for feeder formulae and what they have to offer.

3) Jos the Boss has reputedly wanted to make sure that Max doesn't get into F1 too soon, and hence avoid the pitfalls and traps he fell into. So much for that, then. I don't think Kvyat is the next Michael Schumacher but still, F1 has had a history of destroying promising talents because they came in too soon.

One final thing. I presume this means JEV is out of the Red Bull stable after this year. What also amazes me is how some drivers who appear genuinely talented (even if not the final product) get used, abused and dumped by the company (e.g. JEV, Jaime Alguersuari), whilst others who seem to be of middling ability somehow can remain in the Red Bull stable long after they have flirted with F1 (e.g. Sebastien Buemi, Neel Jani).
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I just can't see any way this is going to end well. Even if he beats Kvyat, so what? Kvyat is too young to be a benchmark for anyone else. And how long are they going to give him to adapt? Toro Rosso give their drivers 2 years maximum before they kick them out. Does that mean we can expect him to be in a Red Bull seat by the age of 19 if Marko has got it right? He's not Marc Marquez for crying out loud (even he's 21!).

I say a quote on the BBC article from Max Verstappen: "We have all worked tremendously hard to reach Formula 1". Really?

On the plus side, the whole situation has MASSIVE REJECT POTENTIAL!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I do tend to agree that he will be way out of his depth, but I do have an awful record of predicting these things. As for Vernge, he has always struck me as neither terrible nor incredible, which to Helmut Marko isn't enough
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Mexicola wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:

It's illegal to drink under 18 in Northern Ireland, but it's different in GB though. I didn't care enough to explain worldwide swallin' laws in my post :P

Thinking about it, if he got it for finishing on the podium that probably officially makes it a prize, and it probably is illegal here to give someone under 18 alcohol as a prize or reward!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Red Bull, obviously :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:

Red Bull, obviously :P

Give him the zero calorie Red Bull!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wouldn't it be ironic then if Max got his first podium in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Give him another 2 or 3 years in junior formulae surely?

Also does he even qualify fro a Super Licence at that age?
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

James1978 wrote:Give him another 2 or 3 years in junior formulae surely?

I'm not sure if there's an age restriction on getting a Super Licence, so he might well do. In that case, it's just a matter of doing the mileage required for one.
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

dr-baker wrote:Wouldn't it be ironic then if Max got his first podium in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi!

Well he'll be 18 by the 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (if it's held in its usual place). But in Bahrain, he would get same rosewater as other drivers!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Bleu wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Wouldn't it be ironic then if Max got his first podium in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi!

Well he'll be 18 by the 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (if it's held in its usual place). But in Bahrain, he would get same rosewater as other drivers!

Isn't there rosewater at the Abu Dhabi GP too?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Well for the first time I'm going to be seeing a Formula 1 driver younger than me. Did expect that a few years later than 2015 though.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

As with all Driver Development Programmes, the Red Bull Driver Development Programme only works if there's a seat at Red Bull available to go into. So either Marko expects Vettel or Ricciardo to leave by 2017, or Young Max is going the way of Vergne, Buemi, SQUIRE, and others, of a three year career in F1 then Formula E if you're lucky.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Mexicola wrote:
James1978 wrote:Give him another 2 or 3 years in junior formulae surely?

I'm not sure if there's an age restriction on getting a Super Licence, so he might well do. In that case, it's just a matter of doing the mileage required for one.

You have to be 16 to get a Super Licence, so if he did the mileage he could have one to race this season.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Backmarker wrote:You have to be 16 to get a Super Licence, so if he did the mileage he could have one to race this season.

SIXTEEN? Christ on the cross, I thought if there was an age restriction it would be higher than that!
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

andrew2209 wrote:Well for the first time I'm going to be seeing a Formula 1 driver younger than me. Did expect that a few years later than 2015 though.

Since Schumi retired, they've *all* been younger than me. :/
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Has Lotterer been confirmed, haven't seen any official confirmation from a reliable source
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Has Lotterer been confirmed, haven't seen any official confirmation from a reliable source

Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Has Lotterer been confirmed? Haven't seen any official confirmation from a reliable source.

It's now on Autosport.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:Has Lotterer been confirmed, haven't seen any official confirmation from a reliable source

It was confirmed on wtf1 2 days ago.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

roblomas52 wrote:It was confirmed on wtf1 2 days ago.

In other news, The Onion has confirmed that Raikkonen has thrown a hissy fit following Ferrari's decision to switch suppliers from Finlandia to Skyy, and have opted to draft in Pastor Maldonado as his replacement. Lotus' suppliers have insisted Johnny Cecotto Jr is Maldonado's replacement, to ensure the demand for spare parts remains high in his absence.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
mario

Post by mario »

Mexicola wrote:
Backmarker wrote:You have to be 16 to get a Super Licence, so if he did the mileage he could have one to race this season.

SIXTEEN? Christ on the cross, I thought if there was an age restriction it would be higher than that!

The reason why it is only sixteen is because the age limit the FIA imposes is the same for all licence types - it is probably one of those catch all clauses that is really only primarily intended to cover lower licence grades, but forms a loophole that Red Bull can use to push Max into F1 next year.

After all, normally you have to be 18 years old to obtain a Grade A licence, which is the minimum prerequisite for a Superlicence, but there is an option that allows you to obtain a Grade A licence at an earlier age. I imagine that the FIA would not have expected a team would make that gamble and push such an inexperienced and young driver into F1 before - Max is two years younger than the youngest driver that has ever raced in F1 before - and so they probably did not think that it was necessary to address that issue before.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

The reason why it is only sixteen is because the age limit the FIA imposes is the same for all licence types - it is probably one of those catch all clauses that is really only primarily intended to cover lower licence grades, but forms a loophole that Red Bull can use to push Max into F1 next year.

After all, normally you have to be 18 years old to obtain a Grade A licence, which is the minimum prerequisite for a Superlicence, but there is an option that allows you to obtain a Grade A licence at an earlier age. I imagine that the FIA would not have expected a team would make that gamble and push such an inexperienced and young driver into F1 before - Max is two years younger than the youngest driver that has ever raced in F1 before - and so they probably did not think that it was necessary to address that issue before.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they did indeed close that loophole before next year? I wonder if they would dare to?
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote:
Mexicola wrote:SIXTEEN? Christ on the cross, I thought if there was an age restriction it would be higher than that!

Wouldn't it be interesting if they did indeed close that loophole before next year? I wonder if they would dare to?

In case they do, would that mean the FIA could effectively veto Max's debut, forcing Toro Rosso to delay it with a stop-gap driver?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS