Rantbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Rob Dylan

Re: Rantbox

Post by Rob Dylan »

tristan1117 wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:Why do we see so few driver changes over the course of a year nowadays? 2013 we had one driver change for the last two races of the year, 2012 we had one driver change for one race.

We all know who's under-performing, and the last few years there's been some excellent under-performers who've kept their seats because their bosses have been too "safe". The comment article "Reign of the Finger" brings up the point that the team managers are being far too safe. Specific cases that I recall such as Bruno Senna having his seat threatened at Williams, and Caterham planning on putting Kovalainen in the Caterham half-way through last year, never materialised into actual action, and even this year the bottom three ranked drivers from last year are still all here, some seemingly secure!

I'd just like to see some variety, instead of teams like Ferrari waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting, and waiting for their drivers to perform and instead just freshen up the grid a little bit.

I find it amusing that in the week since you posted this, we've had two midseason driver changes, equal to the number of the last two years combined. Sometimes, the F1 gods really do grant wishes.

Hey, I ain't complaining! :D
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

AndreaModa wrote:Edwards, Croft, Legard, Allen, the rest, they all just shout down the microphone to try and create a false sense of excitement. They either know too much about the sport, and don't appreciate it in the same way as the viewers (an almost cynicism), or they know f*ck all and don't get excited by it. Murray knew everything, he did all of his own research, and was as enthralled by the cars, drivers, tech, overtakes, etc as any 10 year old on the street. That's the sort of person they need in there - someone at the level of joe public. Not some saggy-eyed weary beige journalist who, when the chips are down, just smiles for the camera, cashes the cheque and mauls our eardrums.

Going to have to also disagree about Crofty here. Maybe I'm just biased because he read my tweet out last year, but he's always seemed very down to earth and a decent commentator.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Comparing commentators to Murray Walker is a bit pointless because no-one will ever be as good as him. However, David Croft brings an excitable-child way about him which does work well with the level-headed Brundle. They do work well off each other which is good to see. James Allen was thrown in the deep end as a 'quick we need someone, anyone' solution and Legard was... Just... Awful. Ben Edwards I know from other forms of commentating and is very good and observant whilst Coulthard brings the same (if somewhat biased) approach as Brundle (ex-f1 driver who knows more about the actual 'driving' aspect).

What I like to see is one commentator acting like a hyper-child in a sweet shop whilst watching an overtake and the other commentator going 'and he did that move by doing this and this and making his car do this'. We want to see the overtake and know how it was executed not just be fed terrible one-liners (Legard) or unashamed bais and pointless drivel (Allen).

As for pit-lane reporters and pre-race pundits: No-one is better in the pitlane than Ted Kravitz. I would absolutely live to have a one-hour 'post quali/race report' from him. 20-odd minutes isn't enough. The entire Sky team are very good and all bounce off each other. As for Suzi Perry and Eddie Jordan, I want them to go away...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Talking about commentators; none of the kids today understand how difficult life was twenty years ago watching some dull-a-thon like the French grandprix with a minging hangover and Jonathan Palmers dulcet delivery threatening to put you into a deep recuperative sleep.

The laps I missed due to that...
Just For One Day...
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

I'm amazed an argument about who's good and who's bad at commentary can come from a small thing I pointed out, where both commentators say almost exactly the same thing, my concern was that "was this actually a generic thing that every formula 1 lead commentator, no matter what language flies from their mouths, has to say at the start of the race?".

Now that I've found out that it's not, why do the competing British based television factions still do it? I would expect Sky Sports to cling onto hook lines of commentary for David Croft to be heared on the sky glory montages, especially Martin Tyler's "...and its LIIIVE..." just before a premier league kickoff, but Ben Edwards doing this aswell? the more reputable commentator with the more reputable <pfft> broadcasting corporation?
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

CoopsII wrote:Talking about commentators; none of the kids today understand how difficult life was twenty years ago watching some dull-a-thon like the French grandprix with a minging hangover and Jonathan Palmers dulcet delivery threatening to put you into a deep recuperative sleep.

Jonathan Palmer could make even the most fascinating race unwatchable.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Cynon wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Talking about commentators; none of the kids today understand how difficult life was twenty years ago watching some dull-a-thon like the French grandprix with a minging hangover and Jonathan Palmers dulcet delivery threatening to put you into a deep recuperative sleep.

Jonathan Palmer could make even the most fascinating race unwatchable.

At least your commentators don't explain everything as if they're explaining it to 5 year old kids with a down syndrome. With all respect to 5 year old kids with down syndrome, but this isn't the right sport for that style. I'd prefer watching an F1 race with Dora the exlorer commentating over watching an F1 race with Flemish commentary! (and the funny thing is that all broadcasters make this same mistake, i guess it's a problem within our culture)
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

As a former radio DJ and current commentator for racing leagues I know first hand how tough it is to call action. You can sit there saying in your head "great move around the outside by Rosberg" and yet come out with sometime totally out of kilter due to the moment catching you off guard. I will say Crofty is the best of the current lot, Edwards I do like and I think Brundle works great as a tech second hand. Coulthard is too sycophantic, James Allen and Alan McNish actually work very well together
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

sswishbone wrote:As a former radio DJ

'Kin ell. Do we need to contact Operation Yewtree about you? ;)
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

This wrote:At least your commentators don't explain everything as if they're explaining it to 5 year old kids with a down syndrome. With all respect to 5 year old kids with down syndrome, but this isn't the right sport for that style. I'd prefer watching an F1 race with Dora the exlorer commentating over watching an F1 race with Flemish commentary! (and the funny thing is that all broadcasters make this same mistake, i guess it's a problem within our culture)

Well, here TV commentators have the bad habit of saying bloody obvious things and with this I mean that they act like your were listining to them via radio instead of watching the race with, well, images and all that... Also, they tend to miss things if the feed only spends less than 30 seconds with it. Like a pit-stop for instance.
Finally, they don't say "lights out" they say stuff more like "and it's the start of the race" or similiar as it at least changes from race to race.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
danfilm007

Post by danfilm007 »

Talking of commentary/how difficult it can be, try being 16 (me), and aspiring commentator (me) and Canada a few years ago with B****r all actually happening, whilst sat there talking into a mic for 2 hours on my own! I think there's a fine line between shouting to make it 'exiting' and actually being exited, you'll hear it in mine occasionally where I sound like I'm just shouting for the hell of it, whereas you'll tell when I am really really exited as my voice goes a bit higher!

Still though, I suppose that Crofty is as good as Edwards. Legard was just useless!

Bits in background are easily missed if the Comms box is not by the pits and their tv's aren't 61 inch LCD, usually a 21 inch monitor or smaller!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

CoopsII wrote:
sswishbone wrote:As a former radio DJ

'Kin ell. Do we need to contact Operation Yewtree about you? ;)

Don't worry, I have never worked for the BBC :lol:
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Do we actually need commentators... a couple years ago I was in Amsterdam at the time of the Abby Dabby GP and watched this on Dutch tv with the sound turned down and could just about follow what was happening during the race.....
danfilm007

Post by danfilm007 »

WeirdKerr wrote:Do we actually need commentators... a couple years ago I was in Amsterdam at the time of the Abby Dabby GP and watched this on Dutch tv with the sound turned down and could just about follow what was happening during the race.....

I hope so otherwise I'll get nowhere in my life! :P
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

This is all irrelevant, because until you have had to put up with Derek Daly, and worst of all Peter Winsor, you do not know pain.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wallio wrote:This is all irrelevant, because until you have had to put up with Derek Daly, and worst of all Peter Winsor, you do not know pain.

James Allen on the ITV coverage, now that was pain. In fact the whole ITV coverage was awful because of the adverts!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

roblomas52 wrote:
Wallio wrote:This is all irrelevant, because until you have had to put up with Derek Daly, and worst of all Peter Winsor, you do not know pain.

James Allen on the ITV coverage, now that was pain. In fact the whole ITV coverage was awful because of the adverts!

It wasn't until those 2 years with Hamilton that ITV really became unbearable
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:

It wasn't until those 2 years with Hamilton that ITV really became unbearable

NBC is pretty decent, but there are moments where it's simply stupid trying to listen. For example, their constant worrying about Bianchi being excluded from the Monaco GP because of the penalty situations. That was all they talked about for so ewhere between 3-5 laps, when there were better things to say. Seriously?! Besides those occasional moments though, they don't make watching Formula 1 completely unbearable. Sure, they're not worth much, except for Matchett, but they get the job done, usually somewhat well.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

And Bianchi wasn't the most interesting thing about the Monaco GP? I think you should leave... :lol:
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I personally can't get enough of Coulthard's formula 1-chess comparisons
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
danfilm007

Post by danfilm007 »

Now now gentlemen (and women), Legard was just... "Oh, and there's big problems there!"
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

watka wrote:And Bianchi wasn't the most interesting thing about the Monaco GP? I think you should leave... :lol:

They were talking about the thought of Jules being excluded from the results, when not having much info at their disposal (they thought that Marussia ignored a stop/go penalty when everything was resolved about what would happen at the end of the race well before then). It made me want to leave the TV screen and out of earshot. I knew they found a way around it, for me it was pretty obvious with the actions taken. The point I was trying to prove is that they might have not had too much info in their hands, but their constant worrywart attitude got to me.

I do understand that Bianchi was the most interesting and awesome part of the Monaco GP. I don't think I deserve to be here if I didn't! :lol:
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Rob Dylan wrote:I personally can't get enough of Coulthard's formula 1-chess comparisons

INDEED.

Actually, I don't think it's just a DC thing, I think it must be a Scottish thing, as it's been pointed out to me that I'm guilty of exactly the same thing :oops:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

danfilm007 wrote:Now now gentlemen (and women), Legard was just... "Oh, and there's big problems there!"

Up the hill, down the hill, under the bridge, this is cruicial.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

danfilm007 wrote:Now now gentlemen (and women), Legard was just... "Oh, and there's big problems there!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEt9SmVLeY

Don't forget all the "Crucial!" moments, as well as the wondering of "What Can He Do?!" as he "Comes Round The Final Corner!"
McJaggers

Post by McJaggers »

I liked it when Martin Brundle and DC were commentating together on the BBC, it felt like having two ex racers with good personalities in your living room. Having a nice jovial chat about their wonder years, and occasionaly talking about the race going on. They felt more relaxed and actually talked about things that would make me want to Google later.

Mind you, I know what's going on in the race. I can't say the same for the casual TV audience.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

McJaggers wrote:I liked it when Martin Brundle and DC were commentating together on the BBC, it felt like having two ex racers with good personalities in your living room. Having a nice jovial chat about their wonder years, and occasionaly talking about the race going on. They felt more relaxed and actually talked about things that would make me want to Google later.

Mind you, I know what's going on in the race. I can't say the same for the casual TV audience.

I second that. Though David got out of hand on the DRS praise after a while. When our family were watching at the time we were waiting for the next time he would say DRS, which was about every 5 seconds :D
McJaggers

Post by McJaggers »

I can still hear the echo of dee are ess in his nasal Scottish accent.
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

WeirdKerr wrote:Do we actually need commentators... a couple years ago I was in Amsterdam at the time of the Abby Dabby GP and watched this on Dutch tv with the sound turned down and could just about follow what was happening during the race.....

That's because nothing really happens there :lol: :lol:

But yeah..I think we need commentators. Not all the audience are made of die hard fans but, more importantly, they can build up tension and excitement.
Take this clip for instance, from the dreaded commentator we have here in brazil. Back then, when he used to actually talk about the gp, the commentary really increased the tension/excitement towards the end of the lap!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZlh1URTwgY

the same can be said about any clip with japanese commentary :P
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Talking of commentators, what announcer from a game would look good as F1 commentator and which one would look really bad as F1 commentator? :P
Last edited by FMecha on 29 Aug 2014, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
lgaquino

Post by lgaquino »

Megarace!

not sure it's really really good or really really bad :lol: :lol: probably bad !
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

lgaquino wrote:Megarace!

DAMN RIGHT.

danfilm007

Post by danfilm007 »

I wonder if someone was bored enough they could get a Legard-esque compilation out of my stuff! :P
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

FMecha wrote:Talking of commentators, what announcer from a game would look good as F1 commentator and which one would look really bad as F1 commentator? :p

Greg Proops. He did the voice for the two-headed announcer in Star Wars Episode 1: Racer "AND ITS A NNNEEEEWWWW LAP RECORD!!!!"

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

What about that guy who did commentary in F1 '97's arcade mode? He was brilliantly awful.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wallio wrote:
FMecha wrote:Talking of commentators, what announcer from a game would look good as F1 commentator and which one would look really bad as F1 commentator? :p

Greg Proops. He did the voice for the two-headed announcer in Star Wars Episode 1: Racer "AND ITS A NNNEEEEWWWW LAP RECORD!!!!"

Star Wars Ep 1, eh?

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:
Wallio wrote:

Star Wars Ep 1, eh?

I'm ashamed to admit I don't get the pic. Is that what Ankain has mutated into?

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Thats showbiz I guess. One minute you're a floppy haired moppet and the next you're a fat faced lego man look a like.
Just For One Day...
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

First AndreaModa, now Jocke1. Why am I only doing avatar bets with people that have nothing that resembles honour?
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Klon wrote:First AndreaModa, now Jocke1. Why am I only doing avatar bets with people that have nothing that resembles honour?

Eh, what's this about? Have I missed something? Haven't done an avatar challenge for years!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_