The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Shadaza

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Shadaza »

I wonder how the Virgin livery will look on TV and full motion. It certainly has a "shine" to it :D.
My favourites are the Venturi and Trulli entries, pure gorgeous art. The Amlin Aguri car obviously also looks great.

The Abt and Dams liveries are the worst in my opinion, the Abt car looks like 2 okay liveries merged to create a monster whilst the Dams is so...plain for what is a new look racing series that is.

I fully expect that eDams and Abt-Audi will be the teams to beat this season too, just slick professional teams with good connections and drivers. Whilst Dragon will be P10, they seemed to have the most issues in testing, would like to see them prove me wrong though.
Message me on Discord.
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

Oriol Servia has replaced Conway at Dragon for the Beijing ePrix.

Still no sign of Andretti announcing their second driver. Or of FE announcing a location for Race 5. One week to go. Tick-tock.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Seeing this has got me excited! All over ITV4 at the moment. Great little trail!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8TMF-A7LkQ
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

From the Formula E preview on FoxSports on TV, Dragon Racing is actually run by Penske instead of the we-know rejectful Dragon Racing
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
RealRacingRoots

Post by RealRacingRoots »

AxelP800 wrote:From the Formula E preview on FoxSports on TV, Dragon Racing is actually run by Penske instead of the we-know rejectful Dragon Racing

Jay Penske, not Roger. He's run the team the whole time.
The Truth Shall set you free. (no theme music plays)
Tomáš.......Ttaaaaaaaattaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Watch this if you want to learn about what Canada is really like.
GT Super Series
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

RealRacingRoots wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:From the Formula E preview on FoxSports on TV, Dragon Racing is actually run by Penske instead of the we-know rejectful Dragon Racing

Jay Penske, not Roger. He's run the team the whole time.

And according to Autosport, Mike Conway has left the Dragon Racing team with just a week before the season begins, to be replaced by Oriol Servia.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
GwilymJJames

Post by GwilymJJames »

FIA entry list reveals Fabio Leimer to replace AFdC at Aguri & Charles Pic to take the vacant seat at Andretti.
WARNING: Vettel fan.

Shut up Eccles!
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

In case you missed it, here's a link to ITV4's 1 hour Season Preview which was on TV this past weekend (might be UK only) :

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/formula-e-championships-2014-15-preview/series-1/episode-1-formula-e-championships-2014-15-preview
andrew

Post by andrew »

madmark1974 wrote:In case you missed it, here's a link to ITV4's 1 hour Season Preview which was on TV this past weekend (might be UK only) :

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/formula-e-championships-2014-15-preview/series-1/episode-1-formula-e-championships-2014-15-preview

Good watch, thanks for finding that.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:
madmark1974 wrote:In case you missed it, here's a link to ITV4's 1 hour Season Preview which was on TV this past weekend (might be UK only) :

Good watch, thanks for finding that.

I was channel-hopping on Saturday evening in a Premier Inn in Lancaster and came across it 15 minutes in. Good for getting people up to speed with the series, so to speak.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

OK, Amlin Aguri are now my new favourite team. They've signed the real Sato, and not that fake one who drives in GP2 and AutoGP! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

However, I reckon either e.dams or Abt-Audi will win this weekend, seeing as they're the best prepared teams. Unless of course, we get a mass outbreak of unreliability...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
OsellaFA1L

Post by OsellaFA1L »

I have to say I am really excited for Formula E. I will be supporting Mahindra because of Klon's alt F1 but I would also like the female drivers to do well
RIP Jules Bianchi

Only Bernie could pay his way out of a bribery court case
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Coverage is on ITV4 in the UK from 8 am to 10:30 am. Tried to get my 5 votes via the app for the fan boost thingy but seemed to only be allowed the one (via my sister's iPad). And I'll be supporting Sato, Legge and Cerruti.
MCard LOLA
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

So after just over 2 years of discussion on here, it's finally all happening for real on Saturday! Anyone have any predictions for the race, the event and the media / fan reaction?

From the looks of the running done so far, Buemi must be the favourite for the win, with Di Grassi and possibly Senna being in with a chance.

I would hope that there will be a good crowd attendance, not sure how expensive the tickets are but I would imagine they're pretty reasonable.

And I think the reaction from the casual fans will be somewhat underwhelming - they will say the cars are slow, the lack of noise is bad and, especially if there are mechanical problems, that the technology is bad.
The Fanboost will and does have its critics, but if it helps to liven things up I think it will win a lot of people over, especially if it helps a 'lesser' driver get a better result. Think of Sato in the Super Aguri passing
Alonso in the McLaren at Canada in 2007 - one of the most feelgood moments in recent F1 - you know, that kind of thing!

However, race fans will really appreciate something new, and if the racing is good then the overall speed of the cars won't really matter. And a lot of the drivers in the series are very popular in their own way,
rejectful or not, so it will be good to see them racing in a major televised race series again.

From what I've heard they will have to manage the power quite a lot and won't be able to run flat out the whole way, so I just hope that they get their sums right and the cars don't all grind to a halt before half
distance and the changeover or subsequently before the end, or the series will lose all credence.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Massive looking forward to this despite being sceptical initially. I will actually be forgoing my Saturday lie-in to watch the full programme!

It's good to see a series that a) promotes new technology, b) has plenty of recognisable faces (some of the drivers may even be familiar to very casual F1 viewers), and c) being held in accessible locations rather than race tracks out in the wilderness. I'm hoping that the racing will be tight. The use of street circuits and the relative lack of aero-dependency should help see to that. As for tickets, the Formula E website implies that the Long Beach round will be free admission! Whether it is the same as the other rounds I don't know, but I will certainly be trying to make the London round (could be a title decider!) as the idea of a race meet being about 30 minutes away by train is too good to miss out on!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

madmark1974 wrote:From what I've heard they will have to manage the power quite a lot and won't be able to run flat out the whole way, so I just hope that they get their sums right and the cars don't all grind to a halt before half distance and the changeover or subsequently before the end, or the series will lose all credence.

Something tells me that if they've really done their sums right, the battery would last to at least 55-60% of the race distance anyway - as a precautionary measure against such a farce happening. Sure, it was fine when F1 cars of the mid-80s would conk out with no fuel in the tank, but everyone involved in Formula E, right the way up to the bigwigs at the FIA who know that there will be no such thing as petrol one day, need to ensure that there's no chance that the whole field will grind to a halt.

I wonder also if this series will go a bit easier on those teams trying to exploit loopholes in the regulations; will there be room for masterstrokes of brilliance such as Colin Chapman's ground effect, the banned-before-it-was-raced twin chassis, "water cooled brakes" (we saw what you were doing there, Brabham), double diffusers, F-ducts, or - specific to this series - every wire in the care made from a metal with lower resistivity than what they're using now (which I suspect will be copper)?

T-minus two days, and I'll be watching on Saturday morning. Whether there will be anyone in the Chinese streets or not we will have to see...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm having to ignore my inner-Reject who hopes the whole thing is a comedic fiasco with cars slowly trundling into retirement after running out of power as that could prove fatal for the sport. I really hope nothing like that happens. I really dont....
Just For One Day...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This just in...A new entry for tomorow and the hot favourite for the win!

Just For One Day...
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

Outside the Bird's Nest:

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Excellent picture, it's like an F1 Rejects Day Out. Also, what happened to Snoozey1???
Just For One Day...
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

CoopsII wrote:This just in...A new entry for tomorow and the hot favourite for the win!

Didn't see this entry, otherwise would have gotten my Fan Boost vote.

I'm hyped for this series, but rotten Rogers is not carrying this (in Canada), so no sling-box stream for me (while on-the-road). Nor is it broadcasted in Cape Town (no more "from the South" replies please, though I have found where F1 fans gather for the races and have been joining them, which also serves a fine Sunday carvery).
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

Driver Lineup for the 1st race:

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Well I saw some photos of the track on AMuS yesterday and seeing the first shots of it in the build-up - oh boy those piddly little chicanes are going to cause all sorts of problems. It's so narrow!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Safety car in the first ePrix... who didn't expect that, honestly. :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

AndreaModa wrote:Well I saw some photos of the track on AMuS yesterday and seeing the first shots of it in the build-up - oh boy those piddly little chicanes are going to cause all sorts of problems. It's so narrow!

The chicanes do seem very tight.

Surprised ITV didn't go to an ad-break during the SC :P
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Fox did :P

Buemi's car left a piece of itself on the track. :D

Samster

Post by Samster »

Well at least this track layout isn't as bad as the one A1GP used in 2006. Just. :P

These cars are even quieter than I'd thought they would be, its certainly bizarre racing having open-wheel cars looking as slow as a touring car and sounding like an RC car. :lol:
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Legge got a DTP. Oh wow. :lol:

Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

What in the bathplug was Heidfeld thinking there?! :shock:

eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Heck!! Both OK it seems.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

Prost turned in by the look of it.
Samster

Post by Samster »

Shizuka wrote:What in the bathplug was Heidfeld thinking there?! :shock:

Heidfeld? Prost swerved into him and launched him into the barriers! Undisputed ROTR for Nicolas Prost.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Yeah. And Heidfeld got punted off by that, running over the kerbs before flipping.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

That ending :shock:

Could've ended really badly... Prost swerved to avoid Heidfeld to pass him, and hit him. Then the banana kerb did the job of doing, well, that. And with all of this, Di Grassi wins.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Just wow :shock:
I officially fall in love with Formula E. The wait is on for Putrajaya in November!
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

So, who here is voting Franck Montagny for the FanBoost next race? Guy was awesome today.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Salamander wrote:So, who here is voting Franck Montagny for the FanBoost next race? Guy was awesome today.

I am! Thankfully Heidfeld is ok after that crash.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Shadaza

Post by Shadaza »

What an event, I loved it :D.

Heidfeld should have won the race, Prost totally panicked and swerved like a moron.

Di Grassi, Montagny (heroic drive!), Bird and Pic are now no longer FE rejects. :P
Message me on Discord.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I really enjoyed that. There wasn't much overtaking, the cars were quiet...but it was great! There's so much potential for this series.

Salamander wrote:So, who here is voting Franck Montagny for the FanBoost next race? Guy was awesome today.

Gotta give a vote to Nick really, since he had the win in his hand...before Prost threw it on the floor exclaiming "now neither of us have anything".
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...