2010 Car Launches

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AndreaModa

Re: 2010 Car Launches

Post by AndreaModa »

Wow that mercedes is a very nice looking car, probably my favourite so far, especially with that swooping front nose which appears to come lower than the other teams' so far. Its one of the best things i liked about the Brawn car, its nose was different to everyone elses.

Nice tidy car from toro rosso, hopefully they'll get somewhere with that. What I want to know is why Ascanelli keeps banging on about them not having wind tunnel capabilities etc etc when they surely must have had one when they were Minardi? What happened to it all when Mateschitz bought it all up?

And what happened to the Williams launch? Bit disappointing not being able to see the car any closer up... :(
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

mario wrote:Meanwhile, the merry game of 'copy the leader' is commencing - the R30 happens to be running a front wing which bears a remarkable similarity to the Mclaren front wing...
Rear wing looks interesting, though, with those slight indents on the lower edge - I wonder what benefit that is supposed to give?

Note the front and rear wings are completely different to the car at launch - which confirms why everyone was wondering if the launch car was an R30 or an R29 in disguise.

AndreaModa wrote:Wow that mercedes is a very nice looking car, probably my favourite so far, especially with that swooping front nose which appears to come lower than the other teams' so far.

Agree. And, like mario, I think what Merc have done with the roll cage/air intake is really clever, as well as good-looking. But please Schumi repaint your helmet - dayglo red just doesn't fit. Normally I'm not one for drivers constantly changing their helmets, but Michael deliberately made his helmet more and more red during the Ferrari days, so the red is symbolic of his time at Maranello. It's just WRONG in the Mercedes. Either he paints it silver or goes back to his original 1990s helmet design.
mario

Post by mario »

eytl wrote:
mario wrote:Meanwhile, the merry game of 'copy the leader' is commencing - the R30 happens to be running a front wing which bears a remarkable similarity to the Mclaren front wing...
Rear wing looks interesting, though, with those slight indents on the lower edge - I wonder what benefit that is supposed to give?

Note the front and rear wings are completely different to the car at launch - which confirms why everyone was wondering if the launch car was an R30 or an R29 in disguise.

AndreaModa wrote:Wow that mercedes is a very nice looking car, probably my favourite so far, especially with that swooping front nose which appears to come lower than the other teams' so far.

Agree. And, like mario, I think what Merc have done with the roll cage/air intake is really clever, as well as good-looking. But please Schumi repaint your helmet - dayglo red just doesn't fit. Normally I'm not one for drivers constantly changing their helmets, but Michael deliberately made his helmet more and more red during the Ferrari days, so the red is symbolic of his time at Maranello. It's just WRONG in the Mercedes. Either he paints it silver or goes back to his original 1990s helmet design.

It looks like the Renault team brought different front wings to the track for this test - the car first rolled out with a late season R29 nosecone and front wing earlier today (sorry that the picture is small, but it is the best I could find)
So, although the debate may rumble on, it's still not entirely clear whether the launch car was an R30 or a redone R29.
As for the helmet, I agree that it does look odd to see him in Mercedes livery, yet with his Ferrari helmet (although he's stuck a Mercedes badge on the front) - although having driven with that helmet for so long, I can see why he (and Mercedes) would want him to keep the old design. Silver might blend in too much - but I had seen a design that someone did, with his helmet painted with the colours of the German flag, which looked quite good.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Just looked at...whether if it's a revised R29 or the R30 as a new car, the livery-design gets a thumbs up from me. And Kubica's helmet in yellow is awesome!
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

mario wrote:Image

The best livery I've seen in a long time. Probably the only good thing to come out of Piquet-gate. It's a shame that it could be the car that kills off Kubica's chances of a top team drive.

As for the others:

McLaren: Aggressive styling with that massive shark fin. Looks purposeful.
Sauber: Even more aggressive styling (the colour scheme probably helps) but looks like its been the wind tunnel at a 45 degree angle or something. A bit of a dog's dinner.
Ferrari: Looks a little conservative, but Ferrari are probably the sort of team you'd expect to be able to gain masses out of minor adjustments.
Mercedes: Loving the flowing nosecone, the car looks spot on.
Toro Rosso: Ermmmm, so they just took last year's car did they?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

eytl wrote:Note the front and rear wings are completely different to the car at launch - which confirms why everyone was wondering if the launch car was an R30 or an R29 in disguise.

I suspect Renault's plan is to mix and match parts a little. They want to see what effect the individual designs have, not the car as a whole.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Captain Hammer wrote:
eytl wrote:Note the front and rear wings are completely different to the car at launch - which confirms why everyone was wondering if the launch car was an R30 or an R29 in disguise.

I suspect Renault's plan is to mix and match parts a little. They want to see what effect the individual designs have, not the car as a whole.

I agree. But that in itself is telling. It must mean that there is a lot of inherent similarity in dimensions, design etc. between the R29 and R30 for parts to be interchangeable. Like, to state the bleeding obvious, there is no way McLaren could interchange parts between last year's car and this year's car given how different they are. But given that the R29 was very average, that is a concern. I would have thought a fundamental redesign at Renault ought to have been given serious consideration.

Unless what we're really seeing is a modified R29, fitted with parts to test their effectiveness, and if those parts work they will be built afresh to fit a very different R30 tub which is still in the works. But that makes so little sense - it is cost-ineffective, and wouldn't you be wanting to see how new parts integrate with your new chassis rather than your old one?

All very strange. Unless Renault are just really behind the eight-ball or are just gambling with a year-old design that was mediocre to begin with.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

mario wrote: but I had seen a design that someone did, with his helmet painted with the colours of the German flag, which looked quite good.

Would that not be Schumy's helmet from his Benetton days?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

dr-baker wrote:
mario wrote: but I had seen a design that someone did, with his helmet painted with the colours of the German flag, which looked quite good.

Would that not be Schumy's helmet from his Benetton days?

Not quite - it was inspired by the Benetton helmet, but given a modern twist. I can't remember where I saw it though, which is annoying.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

His old Merc helmet of course...
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

kostas22 wrote:

Now that's a brilliant detail. He's taking it serious, I tell ya...
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
Waris

Post by Waris »

kostas22 wrote:Image

I loved the black racing suits the Mercedes drivers wore back then. I was hoping they would go for black suits this year, but, alas.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
madcat

Post by madcat »

Force India going for the shark fin look too?
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
LucaPacchiarini

Post by LucaPacchiarini »

what's up with that GENITALI writing on the side?
..I'm the member number 666 on this forum... I'm doomed to rejectdom
"Giovanni Lavaggi Draiver is a big, bigger than people think"
(Giancarlo Minardi, on his former driver Giovanni Lavaggi)
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

LucaPacchiarini wrote:what's up with that GENITALI writing on the side?

It's a phallus-y.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Re: 2010 Car Launches - Virgin

Post by eytl »

OK, big PR boo-boo for Branson's mob. After the much-publicised hype about an online launch at www.virginracing.com, it hasn't been shown at the appointed time due to technical difficulties. :x

Admitted as much on the team's Twitter feed: http://twitter.com/virginf1racing

This on Autosport:

The VR-01 was due to be unveiled on the team's website this morning, the team having opted for an 'all-digital' launch to mirror its 'all-digital car' - reflecting the fact that design company Wirth Research created the car entirely using computational fluid dynamics rather than using a windtunnel.

But technical issues prevented the broadcast from taking place as planned, with the team working to reveal the VR-01 on its site later this morning.

Not a very auspicious start!
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

eytl wrote:OK, big PR boo-boo for Branson's mob. After the much-publicised hype about an online launch at http://www.virginracing.com, it hasn't been shown at the appointed time due to technical difficulties. :x

This on Autosport:

The VR-01 was due to be unveiled on the team's website this morning, the team having opted for an 'all-digital' launch to mirror its 'all-digital car' - reflecting the fact that design company Wirth Research created the car entirely using computational fluid dynamics rather than using a windtunnel.

But technical issues prevented the broadcast from taking place as planned, with the team working to reveal the VR-01 on its site later this morning.

Whoops! Lets hope the same thing doesn't happen with the car.
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

eytl wrote:OK, big PR boo-boo for Branson's mob. After the much-publicised hype about an online launch at http://www.virginracing.com, it hasn't been shown at the appointed time due to technical difficulties. :x

This on Autosport:

Looking more Simteky by the minute... suppose the car is as good as the launch, and my prediction they'll be the best rookie team is going down the drain already.
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

I'm sorry, I just had to say this:

"The Virgin came late, causing a premature reaction from the fans ..."

:oops:
UPRC

Post by UPRC »

Virgin made this a great morning! I'm actually really amused by this whole technical difficulties situation.
BATracer GP2 Liveries
Dozens of original liveries for use with the GP2 carset.

(There's even an F1 Rejects livery!)
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ninety-nine minutes overdue, but well worth it:

That. Is. Sexy.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
noisebox

Post by noisebox »

Captain Hammer wrote:Ninety-nine minutes overdue, but well worth it:

That. Is. Sexy.

I like that, a lot. Difficult to see how ambitious they've been with the aero from that shot, but the livery is one of the best I've seen for ages.
"will you stop him playing tennis then?", referring to Montoya's famous shoulder injury, to which Whitmarsh replied "well, it's very difficult to play tennis on a motorbike"
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Yeah OK that does look good, but why do I feel the urge to scream "Midland! Midland!" at the top of my lungs?

Colour scheme aside, it looks uber-conservative though ...
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

That. Is. Sexy.

I just officially found my favorite of all cars this season. Screw Renault, screw Merc, I think I'm in love <3
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

I won't quote you all as that will make this post stupidly big but I agree with what everyone has just posted above!

Worth the wait
Very sexy looking livery
Possibly uber conservative
Midland does cross my mind
Screw Renault and Mercedes!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

The Virgin car looks quite good, doesn't it? Long old nose on it. I am amused that, for an entirely computer-designed car, the website launch failed due to technical difficulties!
Tealy

Post by Tealy »

I love the livery.

I don't think a conservative approach to the aero is a bad thing though. As the season goes on we will no doubt see new peices go on the car and by the end of the year they will have enough information to be more agressive in 2011. Besides, I thought it was common knowledge that most (if not all) of the new teams were going conservative this year to ensure they don't overstretch.

Timo Glock wrote:“I think we have some good ideas on the car. For me, it’s a solid base to start for us to go testing. The design is already pretty good and now we have to sort out the speed.

“The real unique stuff will come in the season or later on in the year, but now for us it is important that the car is here and ready,”

That says it all for me. They know it isn't a quick car yet but at least they don't have to worry about not having one ready now.
Last edited by Tealy on 03 Feb 2010, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

I think I'm in love too, that livery is gorgeous!
Chewie

Post by Chewie »

No shark fin, a very plain looking front wing, and no big design surprises.

A very plain jane, but maybe the new teams should be concentrating on reliability above all else, they need to get to the flag first and foremost and hope that attrition takes care of the rest.
How ironic; Alonso loses because the Renault in front of him doesn't crash, or indeed feel inclined to pull over and let him pass!!!
Python

Post by Python »

That. Is. Sexy.

The car looks nice, I like the paint scheme but it sorta looks like an aggressive Indy car, at least that's what I though when I first saw the car.
Best quote ever
watka wrote:There's only one fair way to settle this: a duel to first blood, using canes, and each of you must be wearing a top hat, waistcoat, and ascot tie.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

Nicely shaped car, and an excellent livery (even if, as Enoch says, it does look a little like the Midland MF1 paint scheme from a few seasons ago).
Last edited by Pieman on 03 Feb 2010, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Forza Forti
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

For some reason that nose reminds me of an IRL car. I'm waiting for the next beautiful car to be launched so people can say "Screw the Virgin" on here.

Sadly extreme amounts of work is preventing me from doing an analysis of all the cars launched so far.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

By the way, is that a SINGLE front wing mount or am I just getting old? We seem to have quite a bit of variation this year for the noses...

Also looks like a small single kneel, but this is like trying to distinguish whether the lady you're staring at in your ASCII porn is an innie or outie.
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Python wrote:The car looks nice, I like the paint scheme but it sorta looks like an aggressive Indy car, at least that's what I though when I first saw the car.

Yeah good point actually ... the livery also reminds me of Justin Wilson's Dale Coyne car from last year ...

http://blog.al.com/blogoftomorrow/2009/07/large_justinwilson705.jpg
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Python wrote:

That. Is. Sexy.

I see a double front wing mount, it's just difficult to make out, but I think there's a decal on the inside of the opposite mount, making it possible to see two?

What i'm confused about (perhaps it's the time at which I write this...) is, where is the inlet in the sidepod? There's this really odd line running just behind that guy crouching down whose name I cannot recall at the moment (it *is* the time at which i'm writing this, isn't it?!) that for some reason is making my brain confused
"Grosjean has a great desire to turn around and look at the corner he's just gone through, too many times per lap or per session, he's always spinning that Renault"
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

More pictures have just come out. It is a double wing mount. The sidepod opening is quite interesting though and once again reminds me of an IRL car.
madcat

Post by madcat »

Remember that this car hasn't seen a wind tunnel. It'll be interesting to see if it works, or if they something the other haven't or the other way around. Or am I just talking rubbish?....

http://www.virginracing.com/ It shows a double front wing,but it doesn't show a lot of detail. The front paint work is nice!
As i looked at my naked body in the mirror, i thought to myself,
"I'm going to get thrown out of Ikea any minute.".
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Woo hoo! I figured out how to post an image for the first time! And it shows that there is indeed a double mount at the front, etc.
MCard LOLA
Mister Fungus

Post by Mister Fungus »

At first I absolutely loved the livery, I still do but what's up with that tatoo on the front wing?