2014 Singapore Grand Prix Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
dr-baker

Re: 2014 Singapore Grand Prix Discussion Thread

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
watka wrote:I know Mario fanboyism has been expressed enough times on this forum, but sometimes I wonder why you don't just send the BBC or Sky Sports some video footage of you giving analysis and demand a job from them.

Woah, hang-on we don't know what Mario looks like. He may be some uggo and I'm not sure we want to be looking at that on a Sunday regardless of the quality of his journalism ;)

However, if Mario actually looked like this, then I am sure there would be few complaints:

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Mario might complain. When he visits the forum next he could read all this and open up a can of whup-ass.

DanielPT started it, Mario.
Just For One Day...
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

Random side note: Giedo van der Garde doing guest commentary for Sky for P2 and saying that he was offered a renewal at Caterham for 2014, but took the Sauber test role instead. It's like Der God foresaw all the mayhem and had to pick the slightly less chaotic team
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I am pretty sure that I've seen weirder things in this forum than dr-baker fantasizing about how mario looks. I just cannot recall any at the moment.

CoopsII wrote:Mario might complain. When he visits the forum next he could read all this and open up a can of whup-ass.

I am not your father, CoopsII! Therefore I am unable to see how I started it.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Nothing else needs to be said. :lol:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

They really ought to throw the Lotus E22 in the slammer, it's attempted murder like half a dozen times this season.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
hootie

Post by hootie »

just back from the Free Practice sessions on track.

Despite the rain in the afternoon earlier, the evening was hot and very sweaty.
this is my first experience of the 2014 cars in a street circuit environment
I have to say the sound of these new engines is still fantastic.
experiencing it live is completely different from TV or online.

the engine roar is not so loud now. you don't get the glass windows from the office building vibrating like in past years.
then the silent whoosh like a shinkansen going past you on a japanese train platform. and the ground still rumbles as the cars past 3 to 4 metres in front of you.
then the engine braking as they take the corner

i like it
hootie
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:Mario might complain. When he visits the forum next he could read all this and open up a can of whup-ass.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether I should be pleased, annoyed or slightly alarmed at some of the comments...

Salamander wrote:They really ought to throw the Lotus E22 in the slammer, it's attempted murder like half a dozen times this season.

Unfortunately, if what they have suggested is true - that the handling issues are related to a major fault in the design of the chassis - then they are locked into that issue until the end of this season.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

hootie wrote:I have to say the sound of these new engines is still fantastic.
experiencing it live is completely different from TV or online.
the engine roar is not so loud now. you don't get the glass windows from the office building vibrating like in past years.
then the silent whoosh like a shinkansen going past you on a japanese train platform. and the ground still rumbles as the cars past 3 to 4 metres in front of you.

Are you slightly tempted to go to the Formula E race at Putrajaya?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Williams outside of the top 10 in Both sessions and the rain forecast for the qualify and the race (which I don't believe and it's very likely the race to be red flagged if rain). No surprise if the groove team don't score points in this weekend.

Talking about the rain, I'm curious because it is a night race. FIA will let the race goes on with rain?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Is it just me or Remi Taffin is Star Wars' Han Solo re-incarnated?

"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Dj_bereta wrote:Williams outside of the top 10 in Both sessions and the rain forecast for the qualify and the race (which I don't believe and it's very likely the race to be red flagged if rain). No surprise if the groove team don't score points in this weekend.

Talking about the rain, I'm curious because it is a night race. FIA will let the race goes on with rain?

According to the BBC, the race should be dry
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

dr-baker wrote:However, if Mario actually looked like this, then I am sure there would be few complaints:

I think that's enough internet for one day Baker.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
dr-baker wrote:However, if Mario actually looked like this, then I am sure there would be few complaints:

I think that's enough internet for one day Baker.

Oh, you're no fun, you spoil-sport. :P :cry:

Surprised how poorly Williams have gone today. Things can only get better, right? Be a kick in the teeth if Williams don't get both cars to Q3.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Dj_bereta wrote:Williams outside of the top 10 in Both sessions and the rain forecast for the qualify and the race (which I don't believe and it's very likely the race to be red flagged if rain). No surprise if the groove team don't score points in this weekend.

As far as I am aware, the FIA's official position is that they would let the race continue so long as they felt the circuit owners were meeting the minimum safety requirements - how that would actually work in practise is unclear, and I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of a safety car or a red flag in the unlikely event of heavy rain.

If it were a wet race, then the other issue is that the race might hit the 2 hour time limit and be cut short - the stop start nature of the circuit and the reduction in downforce levels means that the cars are quite slow, and the high likelihood of a safety car only makes matters worse. We've already seen one race cut short - the 2012 was stopped at 59 laps instead of going the full 61 laps - and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens again this year, even if it is dry, given the high likelihood of a safety car.
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

dr-baker wrote:Surprised how poorly Williams have gone today. Things can only get better, right? Be a kick in the teeth if Williams don't get both cars to Q3.

Williams struggle on high downforce circuits and usually in the rain too, although in the dry in Silverstone and Budapest the track configurations and conditions didn't hurt their pace that much. Neither Williams made Q3 in Monaco, a similar circuit to Singapore, even though Singapore is much faster and in Monaco, Massa was taken out by Marcus Ericsson in Q1.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
hootie

Post by hootie »

dinizintheoven wrote:Are you slightly tempted to go to the Formula E race at Putrajaya?

all the way to Kuala Lumpur for a 30 min race?
i dunno. the organisers have got to build a proper race day of events to get audiences to Putrajaya.
hootie
RAK

Post by RAK »

mario wrote:If it were a wet race, then the other issue is that the race might hit the 2 hour time limit and be cut short - the stop start nature of the circuit and the reduction in downforce levels means that the cars are quite slow, and the high likelihood of a safety car only makes matters worse. We've already seen one race cut short - the 2012 was stopped at 59 laps instead of going the full 61 laps - and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens again this year, even if it is dry, given the high likelihood of a safety car.

This is part of why I can't understand why the FIA don't use Monaco as a precedent and cut Singapore back to 250 kilometres. I like the idea of a race of attrition, which Singapore does, in some way, promote, but the chances of the race being cut short are substantially higher than they are for any other Grand Prix.
Predicament Predictions Champion, 2011, 2018, 2019

They weren't the world's most competent team,
In fact, to be believed, their results must be seen,
Lola,
M-Mastercard Lola,
L, O, L, A, Lola!
hootie

Post by hootie »

The local transport network has a useful and constantly updated webcam live feed.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... 0/mce.html

This points to the entrance of the Marina expressway, just a few kms away from the track.
If it rains on this road, it will be pouring on track.

hootie
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Gutierrez's best time so far in FP3 = FLUKE

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Alonso fastest in Q3, ahead of Ricky and Rosberg. Vergne 4th fastest, ahead of Vettel and Hamilton.

Seems it will be an interesting qualifying. The top 10 drivers we're separated by "only" a full second, with Guti beeing the 10th fastest, which was a pleasent surprise. Let's see if he can keep that into qualifying and surprises us with a Q3 going for Sauber.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

At the very least, it should be an interesting qualifying fight between Hammy and Rosberg. Their times in FP3 I don't think were fully representative, and I get the impression that they are actually quite similar on one lap pace.
Everything's great.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Oh, we're in for a race... This is going to be fun. Rosberg's reaction to knowing Hamilton beat him by 0.007 :lol:

Kimi :(. Finally able to match/beat Alonso, car breaks down. God damn it Ferrari.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

We're set up for the best race of the year.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Salamander wrote:At the very least, it should be an interesting qualifying fight between Hammy and Rosberg. Their times in FP3 I don't think were fully representative, and I get the impression that they are actually quite similar on one lap pace.

Called it. :P

I wonder how great Alonso's launch will be this time, last year he jumped from 5th to 2nd. Also, fingers crossed that Ricciardo manages a good launch this time...
Everything's great.
Jocke1

Post by Jocke1 »

Lewis 'James Bond' Hamilton.
-*:-
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Shame about Hulk, he was looking properly competitive earlier on.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Shame for Raikkonen. Even when he does the job right Italian gremlins conspire against him, well, against his car snyway.
Just For One Day...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Jocke1 wrote:Lewis 'James Bond' Hamilton.

Don't give him ideas!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I'm guessing the GP will start around 10pm for me. I hope it is worth it staying up :)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I'm guessing the GP will start around 10pm for me. I hope it is worth it staying up :)

Have you got school in the morning?
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:Shame for Raikkonen. Even when he does the job right Italian gremlins conspire against him, well, against his car snyway.

At least he has a chance to make up ground during the race given that Ferrari look much more competitive here - if Alonso had actually put together a clean lap, then he would have been in 3rd and less than 0.03s away from Hamilton, and Kimi was right on Alonso's pace.

As an aside, one other amusing note has cropped up - apparently, the classic Mercedes car Rosberg was riding in for the parade lap promptly broke down, with some of the mechanics having to bump start the car to get it going again. As some were joking, Rosberg's probably hoping that wasn't a forewarning of what might happen in the race...
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

I've always liked Singapore, it's a truly unique event. Street circuit, at night, longest race of the year.

Really exciting coming into the final stretch of the championship. I hope Smiley can turn it into a three-way fight for the WDC.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rosberg's already suffering from electrical issues, and we haven't even started the formation lap.

Yeah, it's gonna be one of those races. :lol:

EDIT: Down to 20 cars before the race even starts...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
pablo_h

Post by pablo_h »

Kamui didn't complete the formation lap :(
Rosberg doesn't make the grid either.
TheFlyingCaterham

CoopsII wrote:
TheFlyingCaterham wrote:I'm guessing the GP will start around 10pm for me. I hope it is worth it staying up :)

Have you got school in the morning?

Why yes I do :)

Also, big problems for Kobayashi and Rosberg '__'

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

mario's prophecy about Rosberg has scarily come true.

apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Rosberg's car is upshifting in increments of two gears.
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

Rosberg is out.
TheFlyingCaterham

apple2009 wrote:Rosberg is out.

It rly sucks :P

That's why I'm calling ROTR to Rosberg's clutch :)