Brabham is back!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
AndreaModa

Brabham is back!

Post by AndreaModa »

And no, it's not dodgy Germans behind it this time, no, this time it's the real deal!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116013

The plan is LMP2 in 2015, then as an LMP1 constructor in 2018, before moving onto F1 and maybe FE further down the line. All very exciting, and great to see.

The catch (if you see it like that): They need £250,000 of our money to get the show up and running. The whole thing is pretty unique, and some great opportunities on offer for those interested. At the time of me writing this they've raised over £3500 in the 1 hour 45 minutes since the Autosport article was posted - (bearing in mind it was on £202 when I first checked the page!).

Here's where all of the information on donating is: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-brabham#home

So I'll be contributing, just need to decide which early bird access to buy - the £25 one or £125 one! :P

Would be good to see a few other do likewise as well, every little helps! :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
tommykl

Re: Brabham is back!

Post by tommykl »

If I can get approval from the powers that be (ie. parents), I'll pitch in £100 for the Engineer pack :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

It's great to see an old name make a proper comeback! And unlike the recent perversion of Lotus' legacy this one actually has some connection with the old marque! I'll see what I can contribute. :D
#FreeGonzo
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

I might see what I have got lying arround, the total is now £6,373.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

In four hours?

That's not bad.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'd buy the Engineer pack if I had £100...unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money to fritter away.

...maybe I can start a kickstarter to find sub-backers? :P
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

I have $7.40, half a case of Corona and an old Mark Skaife diecast car. Every little bit counts :lol:
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I've been doing some work with my school's F1 In Schools programme (they're actually *really* good). Some of the e-learning modules they have on offer sound right up our alley.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Up to 40k now!

Someone's even pledged 10k... :o

Crowdfunding really must be one of the coolest things the internet has brought to the world.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:I have $7.40, half a case of Corona and an old Mark Skaife diecast car. Every little bit counts :lol:

I'll look after the Coronas for you.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Am I the only one this pisses off? Get a sponsor yourself you bathplugging beggars. I want a turkey sandwich, who wants to donate? Really, aside from the name, (which is admittedly a big deal) what's the difference between them and Pentecost? Both want free money to go racing.

And how much say are these investors going to get into the team? The releases on NBC say they want to bring a "crowd sourced design" to LMP2. Pretty sure Toyota tried that in F1 and it didn't work. Too many cooks and all that.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:Am I the only one this pisses off? Get a sponsor yourself you bathplugging beggars. I want a turkey sandwich, who wants to donate? Really, aside from the name, (which is admittedly a big deal) what's the difference between them and Pentecost? Both want free money to go racing.

And how much say are these investors going to get into the team? The releases on NBC say they want to bring a "crowd sourced design" to LMP2. Pretty sure Toyota tried that in F1 and it didn't work. Too many cooks and all that.

If people want to give them money, that's their business. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever so why are you complaining?
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:Am I the only one this pisses off? Get a sponsor yourself you bathplugging beggars. I want a turkey sandwich, who wants to donate? Really, aside from the name, (which is admittedly a big deal) what's the difference between them and Pentecost? Both want free money to go racing.

If people want to give them money, that's their business. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever so why are you complaining?

It just seems low class, especially for a team with such history. Although they were owned by Bernie, and that Swiss Ponzi scheme guy, so maybe its just history repeating?

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:It just seems low class, especially for a team with such history. Although they were owned by Bernie, and that Swiss Ponzi scheme guy, so maybe its just history repeating?

Well, David Brabham is running it, so I don't really see the problem. And asking people to pitch in takes a lot more guts than you'd think.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
Wallio wrote:It just seems low class, especially for a team with such history. Although they were owned by Bernie, and that Swiss Ponzi scheme guy, so maybe its just history repeating?

Well, David Brabham is running it, so I don't really see the problem. And asking people to pitch in takes a lot more guts than you'd think.

I agree about David, he is at least a racer. I disagree about point B however. It's becoming all too easy these days.

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Wow dude relax, why so angry? It's not like they're forcing you to pay! It's a new idea with good, honest people behind it and offers fans a real chance at being a part of history. It's not myformula1dream.com or whatever that bullsh*t attempt at an entry for 2010 was. This is genuine, it has substance.

Sounds to me like standard non-committal American conservatism to me. Remember - survival of the fittest doesn't work in motorsport anymore. If it did, it would have all packed in about 15 years ago. Barely a single motorsport team in any discipline will turn a profit these days. They can't be run like an ordinary business. So something like this is the perfect way to allow a new fledgling team with no resources, support or finance to get that first leg up and then build out from there.

I mean, they need £8 million for an LMP2 car alone! Where does that sort of money come from? It's either wealthy backers, sponsors, pay drivers or a combination of all of them. The profit and loss model is completely unsustainable for a normal racing team. It's a hyper-expensive hobby, and we the fans are part of it, and whether you buy race tickets, merchandise, subscriptions or donate like in this project for Brabham, you help fund it so that the team bosses, engineers and drivers can hammer round a bit of tarmac every other Sunday.

So lighten up, and live and let live. :)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wallio wrote:It's becoming all too easy these days.

Why am I not a good race driver then.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

I was wondering when I would read or hear the first negative thought about this fantastic idea. Bloody hell Wallio, good luck getting that sandwich.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:Wow dude relax, why so angry? It's not like they're forcing you to pay! It's a new idea with good, honest people behind it and offers fans a real chance at being a part of history. It's not myformula1dream.com or whatever that bullsh*t attempt at an entry for 2010 was. This is genuine, it has substance.

Sounds to me like standard non-committal American conservatism to me. Remember - survival of the fittest doesn't work in motorsport anymore. If it did, it would have all packed in about 15 years ago. Barely a single motorsport team in any discipline will turn a profit these days. They can't be run like an ordinary business. So something like this is the perfect way to allow a new fledgling team with no resources, support or finance to get that first leg up and then build out from there.

I mean, they need £8 million for an LMP2 car alone! Where does that sort of money come from? It's either wealthy backers, sponsors, pay drivers or a combination of all of them. The profit and loss model is completely unsustainable for a normal racing team. It's a hyper-expensive hobby, and we the fans are part of it, and whether you buy race tickets, merchandise, subscriptions or donate like in this project for Brabham, you help fund it so that the team bosses, engineers and drivers can hammer round a bit of tarmac every other Sunday.

So lighten up, and live and let live. :)

Just get sponsors like everyone else, what's wrong with that? And if it costs 8 mil to run, why not run at a lower rung? The first rule of motorsports is "Horsepower is expensive, how fast do you want to go?' If you have to ask, you can't afford it. But hey, say-la-ve I guess.

roblomas52 wrote:
Wallio wrote:It's becoming all too easy these days.

Why am I not a good race driver then.

Being a race driver is hard. Begging for money is becoming easier.

ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

AustralianStig wrote:Up to 40k now!

Someone's even pledged 10k... :o

After ONE day... they're going to get more than 250k to do this.

Remember, this is a classic name in F1, that's not looking at F1, but something a bit more realistic, and it's in the right hands. Unlike Lotus.
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 25 Sep 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

ADx_Wales wrote:Bloody hell Wallio, good luck getting that sandwich.

no one feels sympathy for the fat. :P

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Does it really matter where the spondoolicks come from? In fact, when thinking about some of the dodgy proper sponsors that have been involved in F1 over the years perhaps punter-power is a purer form of fund generation anyway. Wasn't something similar pioneered by Jonathan Palmer for Justin Wilson? You could buy shares in him or somesuch.
Just For One Day...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Wallio wrote:
Salamander wrote:

I agree about David, he is at least a racer. I disagree about point B however. It's becoming all too easy these days.

Yeah, screw this crowdfunding, I'd rather see that Brabham LMP2 car plastered with National Guard sponsorship, yeehaw!

Seriously though, whether you agree with crowdfunding or not (and I am actually a bit tetchy regarding sports crowdfunding because it can become a sizeable black hole for the innocent public's money if it all goes wrong), I'm happy to see that its David Brabham carrying the name back into the sport rather than some random consortium who've just bought the naming rights. Let's not have another Lotus episode. I'd be even happier if the Brabham team re-established itself in Chessington! The old Carlin garage is available!
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

watka wrote:
Yeah, screw this crowdfunding, I'd rather see that Brabham LMP2 car plastered with National Guard sponsorship, yeehaw!

Seriously though, whether you agree with crowdfunding or not (and I am actually a bit tetchy regarding sports crowdfunding because it can become a sizeable black hole for the innocent public's money if it all goes wrong), I'm happy to see that its David Brabham carrying the name back into the sport rather than some random consortium who've just bought the naming rights. Let's not have another Lotus episode. I'd be even happier if the Brabham team re-established itself in Chessington! The old Carlin garage is available!

Or the British equivalent. Although the guard does seem to like British drivers over the last decade or so. Or do what Lord Hesketh did. I will always admire the man for that.

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wallio wrote:
watka wrote:

Or the British equivalent. Although the guard does seem to like British drivers over the last decade or so. Or do what Lord Hesketh did. I will always admire the man for that.

The British equivalent is the Territorial Army.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

ADx_Wales

Post by ADx_Wales »

...what's the Australian equivalent? ;)
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

ADx_Wales wrote:...what's the Australian equivalent? ;)

Ah touché, I hang my head in shame and accept the papaya barrage I am about to receive. :oops:

mario

Post by mario »

CoopsII wrote:Does it really matter where the spondoolicks come from? In fact, when thinking about some of the dodgy proper sponsors that have been involved in F1 over the years perhaps punter-power is a purer form of fund generation anyway. Wasn't something similar pioneered by Jonathan Palmer for Justin Wilson? You could buy shares in him or somesuch.

Yes, Justin Wilson set up a public limited company which you could invest in - people would buy shares in the company, and in return would receive a cut of Wilson's salary over the coming years as a way of repaying the original investment. It looks like his company might actually still be in operation, even though Wilson is supposed to have paid off the initial investment by now, so there is something of a precedent in that regard.

I don't know about Toyota, but there is an individual called Nicolas Perrin who intends to enter the LMP1 field in 2015 and to produce an open source racing car. Whether he will succeed is another matter, but it seems that Brabham are not the only ones proposing an unusual source of investment or development (though it does seem that Brabham are perhaps trying to cash in on the recent surge in interest in crowd sourcing schemes).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

mario wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Does it really matter where the spondoolicks come from? In fact, when thinking about some of the dodgy proper sponsors that have been involved in F1 over the years perhaps punter-power is a purer form of fund generation anyway. Wasn't something similar pioneered by Jonathan Palmer for Justin Wilson? You could buy shares in him or somesuch.

Yes, Justin Wilson set up a public limited company which you could invest in - people would buy shares in the company, and in return would receive a cut of Wilson's salary over the coming years as a way of repaying the original investment. It looks like his company might actually still be in operation, even though Wilson is supposed to have paid off the initial investment by now, so there is something of a precedent in that regard.

I don't know about Toyota, but there is an individual called Nicolas Perrin who intends to enter the LMP1 field in 2015 and to produce an open source racing car. Whether he will succeed is another matter, but it seems that Brabham are not the only ones proposing an unusual source of investment or development (though it does seem that Brabham are perhaps trying to cash in on the recent surge in interest in crowd sourcing schemes).

I have heard of the Perrin concept and I think the design is a bit on the average side, however, what I like s the fact that if you own a 3D printer, you can just download the blueprints and make a model car from it.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wallio, you'd be a shite motivational coach. "Reach for the stars? No, you'll never get there...just do something easy, keep your head down and do what everyone else does."

Brabham are trying to find a way back into motorsports, and they want others to help them do so whilst helping the donors in return. I don't understand what it is that offends you. You don't just flick a switch and get sponsors; the world's not like that. If it was, F1 would be booming right now. Your argument is contradictory anyway; you suggested they're looking for free handouts, but don't sponsors do that anyway; give you free money for some exposure?

Tell you what though, I'll buy you that turkey sandwich. Yep, I'm serious, I'll give you the $3 or whatever it costs if you give me a PayPal account to chuck it into. However, here are my conditions:

You have to make a YouTube video of you eating the sandwich and post it here when you're done. After each bite, I require you to say different things.

Bite 1: Ataxia gave up baked beans so I could eat this sandwich. Thank you, sweet manchild.
Bite 2: You know what sucks about timekeeping? The hours.
Bite 3: Biscione didn't have enough change for the bus. He said to the driver "I'm a little short"
Bite 4: *say nothing, just make a strange face into the camera*
Bite 5: This sandwich was brought to you by crowdfunding: helping dreams come true.

You may eat the rest of the sandwich after this.

Deal? This will be an exercise in what sponsorship really is.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

MAKE THIS HAPPEN
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

What is it about this fortnight gap between two grands prix that is inducing such off-season-deprivation-like behaviour??!?!?!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:What is it about this fortnight gap between two grands prix that is inducing such off-season-deprivation-like behaviour??!?!?!

No, I'm just always this much of an ass. Surprised you hadn't noticed; I don't exactly exude sunshine and rainbows.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Ataxia wrote:
dr-baker wrote:What is it about this fortnight gap between two grands prix that is inducing such off-season-deprivation-like behaviour??!?!?!

No, I'm just always this much of an ass. Surprised you hadn't noticed; I don't exactly exude sunshine and rainbows.

But it's not just you this time. Must you always think it's always about you? Actually, don't answer that...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
HawkAussie

Post by HawkAussie »

Its now up to 139 thousand dollars in funding. We might see this coming off the ground.
Officially Retired
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Ataxia wrote:Wallio, you'd be a shite motivational coach. "Reach for the stars? No, you'll never get there...just do something easy, keep your head down and do what everyone else does."

Brabham are trying to find a way back into motorsports, and they want others to help them do so whilst helping the donors in return. I don't understand what it is that offends you. You don't just flick a switch and get sponsors; the world's not like that. If it was, F1 would be booming right now. Your argument is contradictory anyway; you suggested they're looking for free handouts, but don't sponsors do that anyway; give you free money for some exposure?

Tell you what though, I'll buy you that turkey sandwich. Yep, I'm serious, I'll give you the $3 or whatever it costs if you give me a PayPal account to chuck it into. However, here are my conditions:

You have to make a YouTube video of you eating the sandwich and post it here when you're done. After each bite, I require you to say different things.

Bite 1: Ataxia gave up baked beans so I could eat this sandwich. Thank you, sweet manchild.
Bite 2: You know what sucks about timekeeping? The hours.
Bite 3: Biscione didn't have enough change for the bus. He said to the driver "I'm a little short"
Bite 4: *say nothing, just make a strange face into the camera*
Bite 5: This sandwich was brought to you by crowdfunding: helping dreams come true.

You may eat the rest of the sandwich after this.

Deal? This will be an exercise in what sponsorship really is.

I just saw this now as I was racing this weekend. While I'm flattered, it defeats the purpose of my rant. And as for being a poor motivator? Maybe, but I only have to motivate myself, and my team. No one else.

The point is I work two jobs to be able to race. Not complaining, just stating fact. It's worth it all. We made the quarter-final this weekend and had a blast. But it cost over $500. So what racing is expensive. I just can't fathom asking for money like that. I've had sponsors before, and that's different, but to just say "hey I wanna race, give me money" I couldn't sleep at night. Just my thoughts on it.

Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

160,000 pounds in just a week. Wow. And to think they have the time to do it until 1st November.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Reject_Dom wrote:160,000 pounds in just a week. Wow. And to think they have the time to do it until 1st November.

Certainly proves it can work anyway. I'd be curious to see if this model takes off.

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ah, but it's slowed right down. They've still got ~£100,000 to go, and a month to get it, but it's probably going to take a while.