Singapore GP ROTR

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Salamander

Re: Singapore GP ROTR

Post by Salamander »

F1000X wrote:
AustralianStig wrote:
DonTirri wrote:Anyway, my RotR nomination goes tooo.... Ferrari/Red Bull AND ESPECIALLY WILLIAMS strategies. You can find my expanded explanation in the main race thread.

Really? Three teams with three different strategies and you feel all were wrong? I'd love to know what genius strategy you've come up with that would have given 1-2 finishes for Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams...

They didn't beat Hamilton, that's his problem.

Yeah, because it's not like Hamilton could go 3 seconds a lap faster anyway and had the straight-line speed to breeze past any car except maybe the Williams, which he would've had dead to rights in the corners anyway.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

You don't need to be clairvoyant to predict that should Hamilton win the championship DonTirri will commence whining about how undeserving he is. Tiresome.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Sutil and Sauber : Appalling performance.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Ducktanian

Post by Ducktanian »

David Coulthard for his statement that "Well, we all know who is the true thoroughbred now" when looking at Hamilton's (then) 6 wins to Rosberg's 4.

Jesus Christ Coulthard, just declare your love from Hamilton already and get it over with. :lol:
Murray Walker: "A lot of people here are really debating whether Ricardo Rosset is Formula 1 material"
Martin Brundle: "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray".
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

The Williams strategy worked fine for Massa, as it got him ahead of Kimi, it was just that Bottas seemingly had a power steering issue that affected his ability to manage the tyres. Ironically, the Bottas issues caused a train that allowed Massa to coast home and manage his tyres without pressure from behind.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Woo first time doing this.

I'm surprised no one picked this up yet.

Lotus pit crew

Reason - Pitted Maldonado during the Safety Car period but kind of put the wrong tires, so good old Pastor had to come back in to get the right tires. I mean how does a team do that? Even though it made no difference in his position because he was last anyway minus the lapped cars, it is still reject worthy.
DOSBoot

Post by DOSBoot »

1. Sutil: Terrible.

2. The FIA: Their new rules on radio restriction was absolutely pitiful.
Proud supporter of the United States 2nd Amendment.

2012 Predicament Predictions Champion.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AxelP800 wrote:ROTR goes for anyone who nominates an ROTR/ROTRs. Why Because there's nothing very bad happened. Why too? Because I'm controversial ;)

There is a fine line between controversial and stupid and that is on the stupid side of that line.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

roblomas52 wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:ROTR goes for anyone who nominates an ROTR/ROTRs. Why Because there's nothing very bad happened. Why too? Because I'm controversial ;)

There is a fine line between controversial and stupid and that is on the stupid side of that line.

Says the person who gets called out using that line in the past.

Although yeah, I have to agree with Rob on this one. This is F1 Rejects, Axel. :roll:
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

Aguaman wrote:Woo first time doing this.

I'm surprised no one picked this up yet.

Lotus pit crew

Reason - Pitted Maldonado during the Safety Car period but kind of put the wrong tires, so good old Pastor had to come back in to get the right tires. I mean how does a team do that? Even though it made no difference in his position because he was last anyway minus the lapped cars, it is still reject worthy.

I forgot about that. Let's not also forget Maldonado then tried to massacre the pitlane with his wheelgun and hose!
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

I will also put in a honourary mention for the FIA stewards. How Alonso got away with cutting the second corner on the first lap and how Vergne got penalised for being pushed wide by a certain Lotus I will never know.

On the other hand though, The Codemasters penalty system might be more realistic than popular opinion...
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

I had almost nominated Sutil for his general air of rejectfulness and apathy until Aguaman reminded me of the efforts of the Lotus Pit Crew.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

I did not want to nominate Sauber because they still are my favourite team, so I had to think long and hard to find another suitable nominee. And guess what! I found one. It is yet another inanimate object:

The Turn 1 and Turn 2 runoff area (!)

It just does not penalize drivers from cutting Turn 2. In this race, suspiciously many drivers, when racing somebody who has been coming out of the pits, have locked up their brakes going into Turn 1, overshot the corner as a result, ran straight through the runoff and re-entered the track in Turn 3, thereby being able to go through this section of corners faster than usual, and thus being able to overtake the car that has been coming out of the pits.
Even with no car coming out of the pits, this runoff area has been used as part of the track more often than other escape roads on the track. And it was not just Jean-Eric Vergne (more than once) and Fernando Alonso who did it, but by far not all drivers.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

This isn't a prediction contest I know (that's Predicament Predictions!) but I suspect that Jamie and Enoch will go for a more abstract ROTR than just a team, driver or group of people (stewards etc) because they haven't done so for a while!

Whilst Sutil sticks out as a poor performer, clumsy and slower than ever, I nominate the length of the race. It ran the full 2 hours and every year it has reached it or been quite close to it. However, Singapore is never an interesting enough a Grand Prix to warrant that length. What's more, its an absolute car breaker because of the heat, and with Magnussen's burns we've got yet another issue on top of the exploding brakes and such we've seen in the past. Just except that it's a slow street circuit, like Monaco, which should be run over a shorter distance to make it similar to other grand prix.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

watka wrote:This isn't a prediction contest I know (that's Predicament Predictions!) but I suspect that Jamie and Enoch will go for a more abstract ROTR than just a team, driver or group of people (stewards etc) because they haven't done so for a while!

Whilst Sutil sticks out as a poor performer, clumsy and slower than ever, I nominate the length of the race. It ran the full 2 hours and every year it has reached it or been quite close to it. However, Singapore is never an interesting enough a Grand Prix to warrant that length. What's more, its an absolute car breaker because of the heat, and with Magnussen's burns we've got yet another issue on top of the exploding brakes and such we've seen in the past. Just except that it's a slow street circuit, like Monaco, which should be run over a shorter distance to make it similar to other grand prix.

If we're going for abstract concepts, then I want (yet again) to nominate the computer-generated track advertising. It's just plain annoying and adds absolutely nothing to my enjoyment of the sport. Heck, I may even go so far as to say that it detracts from my enjoyment. Thanking someone for something is more sincere if you say it in person face-to-face in private rather than sit at a computer screen and just plaster it onto TV screens for the world and his neighbour to see. (I tried to find an image of Singapore being thanked for the GP via these TV graphics, but failed.)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CoopsII wrote:You don't need to be clairvoyant to predict that should Hamilton win the championship DonTirri will commence whining about how undeserving he is. Tiresome.

Well, he is? Since winning the title in 2008 (And even then you could say he got lucky. Last corner on the last lap of the last race >_>) Hamilton's done nothing but whine, moan and complain about the machinery he's been given. (Compare to Alonso, who's been consistently dragging the lacklustre ferraris where they really didn't belong.). And then he gets a car that wipes the rest of the field without breaking a sweat, and even THEN he spends the majority of the season bitching, moaning and complaining simply because his teammate dares to actually challenge him instead of just letting him win.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

DonTirri wrote:
CoopsII wrote:You don't need to be clairvoyant to predict that should Hamilton win the championship DonTirri will commence whining about how undeserving he is. Tiresome.

Well, he is? Since winning the title in 2008 (And even then you could say he got lucky. Last corner on the last lap of the last race >_>) Hamilton's done nothing but whine, moan and complain about the machinery he's been given. (Compare to Alonso, who's been consistently dragging the lacklustre ferraris where they really didn't belong.). And then he gets a car that wipes the rest of the field without breaking a sweat, and even THEN he spends the majority of the season bitching, moaning and complaining simply because his teammate dares to actually challenge him instead of just letting him win.

Even then, he's clearly been the faster driver - this coming from someone who desperately wants Rosberg to beat Hamilton.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
mario

Post by mario »

Salamander wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

Even then, he's clearly been the faster driver - this coming from someone who desperately wants Rosberg to beat Hamilton.

All of the drivers complain to some extent, which is why I feel that your comment is something of an exaggeration of the situation. Please do not take this as a personal attack, but there is strong evidence that people do tend to have a negative perception bias. In other words, if you actively dislike something, it tends to be the case that you tend to more receptive to information that speaks to that negative bias, whereas negative information about something you were either neutral or favourably inclined towards would have a much smaller impact.

By that logic, it could also be said that Rosberg has done his fair share of moaning too, just that he tends to hide it more than Hamilton - such as using the fact that Hamilton couldn't speak Italian to call him "f***ing lucky" and complaining that he lucked into the victory at Monza right in front of Hamilton just before the podium ceremony, or some of the comments that he has made in the German press that haven't been that complimentary of other drivers.

Similarly, Alonso may have bided his time at Ferrari and not publicly spoken out, but the indication is that Ferrari have sometimes had to put pretty heavy pressure on him to make sure he didn't publicly complain. Some of his comments this year have nevertheless had a rather pointed edge to them, such as the way that he offered praise for the departing Domenicali whilst simultaneously cutting Mattiacci out of the picture.

Equally, I could point to some of the comments that Hulkenberg was making over the radio whilst driving for Sauber in 2013, where he wasn't exactly shy of making his opinions about the car and the team known. The less said about some of Sutil's comments, the better, especially his downright abusive comments in the German press about the management of Force India when he was fired - all in all, if you looked hard enough, I am fairly sure that you could portray quite a few of the drivers in the field in exactly the same way that you perceive Hamilton to be.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Look at Hungary or Monza last year for Alonso complaining about Ferrari. :)
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DonTirri wrote:

I appreciate that you're not on the forums very often and that you're unlikely to spend that time reading my posts but if you did you'd know we agree on much of what you say about Hamiltons personality. In terms of negative PR, though, Alonso? Really? Yeah, he's keeping quiet at Ferrari at the moment, which may have something to do with the bucketloads of Euros they keep throwing at him to keep him, but there's been many an occasion when the mask has slipped (sometimes on the team radio) and the frustration has boiled over, much like Hamiltons.

Rosberg is quick but Hamilton is quicker. Rosberg knows it and he knows the lead he had wasnt just down to his own ability, but because of Hamiltons mistakes and bad luck.
Just For One Day...
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CoopsII wrote:
DonTirri wrote:

I appreciate that you're not on the forums very often and that you're unlikely to spend that time reading my posts but if you did you'd know we agree on much of what you say about Hamiltons personality. In terms of negative PR, though, Alonso? Really? Yeah, he's keeping quiet at Ferrari at the moment, which may have something to do with the bucketloads of Euros they keep throwing at him to keep him, but there's been many an occasion when the mask has slipped (sometimes on the team radio) and the frustration has boiled over, much like Hamiltons.

Rosberg is quick but Hamilton is quicker. Rosberg knows it and he knows the lead he had wasnt just down to his own ability, but because of Hamiltons mistakes and bad luck.

I am not denying that Hamilton is faster than Rosberg. But what really nailed the point home about Hamiltons personality is the fact that even when he has a car that wipes the floor with the rest of the field, he even then finds something to bitch and moan about. That just boggles my mind. Hamilton comes off as a guy who can't handle any kind of misfortune or hardship without throwing a hissyfit, and to me that doesn't belong in the personality of a World Champion.

And yes, Alonso does complain occasionally, but thats the key word. Occasionally. Most of the time he just keeps his head down and does what he can. And anybody who knows me knows I got no love lost for Alonso either, so the fact I am comparing him positively to Hamilton speaks a lot about what I feel about Lewis.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

DonTirri wrote:I am not denying that Hamilton is faster than Rosberg. But what really nailed the point home about Hamiltons personality is the fact that even when he has a car that wipes the floor with the rest of the field, he even then finds something to bitch and moan about. That just boggles my mind. Hamilton comes off as a guy who can't handle any kind of misfortune or hardship without throwing a hissyfit, and to me that doesn't belong in the personality of a World Champion.

Well, son, there is a quick fix for that. Just mute your goddamn TV!
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
DonTirri wrote:I am not denying that Hamilton is faster than Rosberg. But what really nailed the point home about Hamiltons personality is the fact that even when he has a car that wipes the floor with the rest of the field, he even then finds something to bitch and moan about. That just boggles my mind. Hamilton comes off as a guy who can't handle any kind of misfortune or hardship without throwing a hissyfit, and to me that doesn't belong in the personality of a World Champion.

Well, son, there is a quick fix for that. Just mute your goddamn TV!

What about hypnosis to unlearn English and stick to Finnish? That way all he'll hear is a load of noise that makes no sense. Problem solved.
Just For One Day...
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

The phenomenon of whining F1 drivers is hardly a new thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNrS9RHMc-I
"We had alot of problems with the car..."
Making up the numbers
Ferrim

Post by Ferrim »

watka wrote:This isn't a prediction contest I know (that's Predicament Predictions!) but I suspect that Jamie and Enoch will go for a more abstract ROTR than just a team, driver or group of people (stewards etc) because they haven't done so for a while!

I'm actually for the opposite, and have been for a few years: now that races tend to be shorter overall than 30 years ago, let's increase Monaco distance to 91-92 laps, like all the other GPs.

Anyway, you have a point - either both races should be shortened, or neither. Since Singapore started, Monaco is shorter only because of the tradition, which is inconsistent. Another possibility would be to run timed races, with a fixed race time of 1h 30m. The counter would be stopped in case of a red flag situation, just like it is now. I think it could be good for the TVs, and you could never be sure about what distance remains to go.

I've just come up with the idea as I was writing, so I fully expect you to start throwing arguments at me about why it is such a bad idea :lol:
Go home, Bernie Ecclestone!

"There will be no other victory this year, I can tell you, more welcomed than this one" Bob Varsha, 1995 Canadian GP

F1 Rejects Forums – going off-topic since 2009!
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

For almost doing a brilliant one-man Rene Arnoux tribute act (If he'd just held up the leaders blatantly it would have been perfect) it has to be the one man who shouldn't be in F1 - I'll keep saying this until he isn't - Sutil.

Although Hamilton's whinging got on my tits that's almost par for the course these days.
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Track limits and Rosberg/Maldonado's luck
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
eytl
F1 Rejects Founder

Post by eytl »

Official decision time ... for various reasons I've been out of action for much of the past week, and just as well, because a last-minute entrant has snuck in to claim the prize!

Jamie and I deliberated about going with Adrian Sutil, and whilst the German certainly didn't cover himself in glory, I just didn't think that his general underperformance and the swipe on Perez sufficiently grabbed my ROTR attention.

In fact, I was leaning towards agreeing with Watka and going with the race length, because I must admit that I ended up having to watch the race in about three different sittings, and on each occasion I started falling asleep, such is the length of the event, the fact that the cars actually LOOK slow, the fact that they are lapping about 6-7 seconds off quali pace, and maybe because I've experienced the heat and humidity there before and so the heavy atmosphere somehow comes through for me even on the TV coverage.

But, at the eleventh hour, comes the revelation that an unspecified foreign substance contaminated Rosberg's steering column electronics during pre-event servicing. Not only did it derail Nico's race and possibly his championship, but it raises numerous questions. Like, why did it only affect Rosberg and not Hamilton? Why did it only hit Nico in the race? Was it deliberate sabotage? Should conspiracy theorists be standing up? Is Toto Wolff smiling again? Do aliens exist? Apart from clearly needing to call in Mulder and Scully, even if ultimately there is perfectly logical explanation, it simply sounds ludicrous and yet potentially had far-reaching effects, and that is pure ROTR fodder as far as we're concerned.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

eytl wrote:Official decision time ... just as ... a last-minute entrant has snuck in to claim the prize!

... at the eleventh hour, comes the revelation that an unspecified foreign substance contaminated Rosberg's steering column electronics during pre-event servicing. ... and that is pure ROTR fodder as far as we're concerned.

LOL! LOOOL! The award has never gone to a less specified entity before, and it remains to be seen if it ever will.
No wonder this nominee took so long to come to the spotlight, as unspecified as it is. In fact, this feels almost like you have specifically waited for this particular unspecified nominee to show up. If there were some kind of prize money on the Reject Of the Race Award, what would the unspecified foreign substance do with it? Would it put the money in Rosberg's steering column where it itself lives? Certainly, Rosberg would consider that a good idea because the money could help fix his steering column for the next race. Or would the ominous substance transfer the prize money for the Reject Of the Race Award into more unspecified channels, like an unspecified account in Switzerland perhaps? It's all very unspecified! ;-)

Enoch & Jamie: congrats on this great choice! And a great picture on the front page, too, in which you explicitly had to circle the substance in yellow to specify it for your readers. Having Reject Of the Race winners like this clearly shows that F1 is still glamorous as an expletive!
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

The most exciting part of the Grand Prix was this thread in my opinion :)
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

eytl wrote:But, at the eleventh hour, comes the revelation that an unspecified foreign substance contaminated Rosberg's steering column electronics during pre-event servicing. Not only did it derail Nico's race and possibly his championship, but it raises numerous questions. Like, why did it only affect Rosberg and not Hamilton? Why did it only hit Nico in the race? Was it deliberate sabotage? Should conspiracy theorists be standing up? Is Toto Wolff smiling again? Do aliens exist? Apart from clearly needing to call in Mulder and Scully, even if ultimately there is perfectly logical explanation, it simply sounds ludicrous and yet potentially had far-reaching effects, and that is pure ROTR fodder as far as we're concerned.

I'm standing up.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

LionZoo wrote:I'm standing up.

No couch either?
Just For One Day...
BigG80

Post by BigG80 »

CoopsII wrote:

No couch either?

Sofa king funny.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

BigG80 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

No couch either?

Sofa king funny.

Boomstick is the King of Sofas yet to be, and he is indeed funny. So you're right, the Sofa King is funny! 8-)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA