Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: Ponderbox

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Perhaps the Ponder is unfair. After that amount of success unless it continues anything else will look disappointing.

Not really. You mentioned Schumacher. Schumacher still won races in 1996 and 97. He was still best of the rest. Can you say that of Vettel? Worst, it is precisely his team-mate who is best of the rest. I think perception is the key here. Hill got beaten by his teammates, was being disappointing and on his way down. Schumacher was nailing his teammates to the wall, was extracting the most that is possible with average machinery. While it is still too early to judge Vettel post-domination, he clearly is not doing going beyond the car at his disposal. Unlike another recent example, Alonso.

But by getting into that territory it begins to get complicated. Hill was older than his team-mates and, as you say, over the erm, hill, F1 wise. MSC did still beat his team-mates but, well, we know the story with that.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:But by getting into that territory it begins to get complicated. Hill was older than his team-mates and, as you say, over the erm, hill, F1 wise. MSC did still beat his team-mates but, well, we know the story with that.

Another thing worth mentioning: All those mentioned (except Scheckter who went worse than Vettel really) changed their cars and it influenced greatly their performance. I think Schumacher 05 is the most similar you have with Vettel this year. He still beat his team-mate and regardless of how he did it, you still won't find anyone saying that Schumacher wasn't the most talented back in the day (ignore his comeback - even then he was not far off the current crop judging from what Rosberg is doing).
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I wonder if having no expectations placed on you makes you quick? Very often you see a guy like Ricciardo blitzing it when the pressures off only to see him crumble somewhat when expectations are that he should be blitzing it. With that in mind I wonder if Vettel will have the last laugh afterall?
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I wonder if having no expectations placed on you makes you quick? Very often you see a guy like Ricciardo blitzing it when the pressures off only to see him crumble somewhat when expectations are that he should be blitzing it. With that in mind I wonder if Vettel will have the last laugh afterall?

I say that depends if a driver can or cannot cope with the pressure. I say most drivers who come into F1 and into midfield to top teams are used to pressure. Most of those who don't, don't even make it (remember Felix da Costa, who crumbled under pressure when it came to his defining career in FR3.5). Again, I say perception is key here. In Ricciardo case, I say he is taking the fight to Vettel and winning it, but it is far from blitzing it. He is, sometimes, outqualified or even finish behing his teammate. If the general point of view is not realistic, then it is pretty much bound to be met with disappointment. Take another case in the name of Max Verstappen. What will happen if people expect Max to be the new 'Senna'? How many real new 'Sennas' have you seen coming in since the original Senna? Precisely.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

They might be used to pressure but of the current crop the likes of Button, Massa and Perez all made a splash only to then tread water a bit afterwards. Old Alonso, bless him, did it his own way of course. I remember thinking he was finished after his Minardi stint ended. More proof of how little I know :lol:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:They might be used to pressure but of the current crop the likes of Button, Massa and Perez all made a splash only to then tread water a bit afterwards. Old Alonso, bless him, did it his own way of course. I remember thinking he was finished after his Minardi stint ended. More proof of how little I know :lol:

Button did as you say back in the day, I will give you that. Things were different then though and there wasn't the scrutiny there is today in the tireless job of being the first to find the next big star. I remember thinking Massa was too unpolished and therefore erratic but he learnt and he did coped with pressure. I think Perez is too inconsistent to be in a top team. Sure he did overdrove sometimes, but then he was bought in to replace Hamilton of all people. I say the guy wasn't that bad. As for Alonso, I had the idea he did so well after his Minardi stint he was taken by Renault in order to be groomed into the seat.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

For all his Iceman persona I think Raikkonens crumbling a bit. Look at him on his return to Lotus, a veritable superhero loved by the young and old. Nowadays, the way some people talk about him you'd think he'd shat in their living room. On Christmas Day. Twice. Amd thats all down to his performances, or people's perception of how they think he should be performing.

I wasnt convinced Alonso would get a Renault seat, Briatore seemed to have tonnes of drivers on his books. Again, shows what I know...
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I think differently. I think Kimi is actually performing close or even at his best ability. It is just the fact that Alonso is better than him and this should not be chastening as both Alonso and Hamilton are considered the two outstanding drivers of this generation. Kimi just compared better with an error prone Grosjean when he returned and, coupled by a great Lotus car, it twisted perceptions somewhat.
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:But by getting into that territory it begins to get complicated. Hill was older than his team-mates and, as you say, over the erm, hill, F1 wise. MSC did still beat his team-mates but, well, we know the story with that.

Another thing worth mentioning: All those mentioned (except Scheckter who went worse than Vettel really) changed their cars and it influenced greatly their performance. I think Schumacher 05 is the most similar you have with Vettel this year. He still beat his team-mate and regardless of how he did it, you still won't find anyone saying that Schumacher wasn't the most talented back in the day (ignore his comeback - even then he was not far off the current crop judging from what Rosberg is doing).

In retrospect, when we consider how Rosberg is currently holding his own against Hamilton, I'd agree that Schumacher's relative performance against Rosberg now looks much more favourable than it did at the time.

Speaking of the situation in 2005, there is perhaps one common element between then and today, and that is the fact that there was a substantial shift in the regulations that shifted things heavily against the leading team - the "one tyre per race" rules of 2005 and the change in engine rules for 2014.
Equally, in that scenario it was clear that the outfit that had been the leading team was the one hurt the most by the rule change - Bridgestone's lack of competitiveness then and Renault now - and, in qualifying trim at least, Schumacher's relative form against Rubens did dip for a while in the opening races, much as Vettel's form has dipped somewhat against Ricciardo.

However, as you say, although Schumacher was able to get back on top of Rubens and generally establish himself as something of a threat on tracks that did work a bit better for him, Vettel does still seem to be scratching around a bit for a means of getting back on top of Ricciardo.

DanielPT wrote:I think differently. I think Kimi is actually performing close or even at his best ability. It is just the fact that Alonso is better than him and this should not be chastening as both Alonso and Hamilton are considered the two outstanding drivers of this generation. Kimi just compared better with an error prone Grosjean when he returned and, coupled by a great Lotus car, it twisted perceptions somewhat.

That is certainly true - when he was at Lotus, because the team were not expected to be a front running outfit, the results that he was able to achieve whilst driving for them did come across as being quite striking and therefore caught the attention of a lot of people.

In the process, I think that his success evoked the sort of image that people had of Kimi back in the early 2000's, when he could pull off some remarkable races and developed a reputation for bravery. Remember the moment when some of the McLaren mechanics were seen celebrating as Kimi pulled off a passing move (in the Spanish GP, IIRC)? I think that is the image of Kimi that most people want to have, that of the implacable, quietly spoken Finnish driver who could stun the world with sudden turns of speed.

Unfortunately, whilst many might fondly remember the Kimi of 2004, Kimi's performances a decade later cannot match those fondly remembered races. We wondered how Alonso might react to being paired with a world champion in the off season, and the answer has been to demolish him so thoroughly that he's making Massa look good in retrospect.

It says a lot about how far off Alonso's pace Kimi has been given that, in terms of relative performance against his team mate, it could be argued that only Ericsson has a worse relative performance than Kimi. Now, of course, it is true that Alonso is probably the most gifted driver in the field right now in terms of overall ability, but Kimi's record would still make many expect him to perform more strongly than he has so far...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

CoopsII wrote:From the Helsinki Hellraisers ( :roll: ) very own Twitter feed..
Why do you enjoy trolling? — Because I love getting a rise out of people.

:lol:

Have a look for yourself, it's a revelation.

Dude, I didn't think you'd actually go as far as googling my name to find ways to slam me. That's a character I play on an RP game that just happens to use twitter as a worldbuilding medium. The part about the character being (fictional) and using a known person (aka not me) as a display picture didn't tip you off?

If you REALLY want to find my own personal twitter, try @Tirrifunk.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DonTirri wrote:Dude, I didn't think you'd actually go as far as googling my name to find ways to slam me. That's a character I play on an RP game that just happens to use twitter as a worldbuilding medium. The part about the character being (fictional) and using a known person (aka not me) as a display picture didn't tip you off?

If you REALLY want to find my own personal twitter, try @Tirrifunk.

No, I got that the meaty hairy sweaty guy wasnt you. OK, I just had a quick glance at Tirrifunk which begins with the legend
20-something guy from Finland, loves to be a dick.

Well. You said it.
Just For One Day...
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

CoopsII wrote:No, I got that the meaty hairy sweaty guy wasnt you. OK, I just had a quick glance at Tirrifunk which begins with the legend

Well. You said it.

Indeed. But there's a difference between being a dick and profilerating a messageboard with inane offtopic spam and stupid insiderjokes that get unfunny faster than you can type them.
Also, the difference between you and me is that I'm not pretending to be anything else than I am. You on the other hand act like your shite doesn't stink while it does, even worse than mine.

And I guess my comments have hit a nerve with you, since I NEVER singled out anyone. While you? You seem to have started a mini-crusade against me. Rule 1 of internet arguing: When you have to resort to personal insults, you've only proven that... well, to quote an old meme... U MAD.

I only diss what you do. You on the other hand feel the need to diss me personally. Tell me. Which is lamer?
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

You're right. You're very badly treated.
Just For One Day...
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

DonTirri wrote:
CoopsII wrote:No, I got that the meaty hairy sweaty guy wasnt you. OK, I just had a quick glance at Tirrifunk which begins with the legend

Well. You said it.

Indeed. But there's a difference between being a dick and profilerating a messageboard with inane offtopic spam and stupid insiderjokes that get unfunny faster than you can type them.
Also, the difference between you and me is that I'm not pretending to be anything else than I am. You on the other hand act like your shite doesn't stink while it does, even worse than mine.

And I guess my comments have hit a nerve with you, since I NEVER singled out anyone. While you? You seem to have started a mini-crusade against me. Rule 1 of internet arguing: When you have to resort to personal insults, you've only proven that... well, to quote an old meme... U MAD.

I only diss what you do. You on the other hand feel the need to diss me personally. Tell me. Which is lamer?

I tried to jump a brick wall which, quite frankly, I could have stepped over. I samshed my left knee into that wall and was just about able to walk afterwards. All this 1 hour before my first driving lesson.

That is lame! :lol:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

My my... Looks like CoopsII has been a bit naughty lately! :lol:

Well, with this I am glad of three things:
1. I now fully (instead of apparently) understand some of the last exchanges of this thread;
2. It is good to know that DonTirri is first and foremost a wrestling fan. It goes a long way to explain some of his positions.
3. It is hilariously funny to keep finding out that DonTirri has a lot more of Lewis Hamilton than he would like!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:My my... Looks like CoopsII has been a bit naughty lately! :lol:

It's just a bit of fun. I'm sure DonTirri isnt really upset. Were it not for the distance between us Ive no doubt we could have a laugh together over a few drinks.

EDIT:I probably wouldnt drink with him in Helsinki though, he Raises Hell there appazza.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:It's just a bit of fun. I'm sure DonTirri isnt really upset. Were it not for the distance between us Ive no doubt we could have a laugh together over a few drinks.

After a couple of Razors Edges, I am pretty sure the pints wouldn't stop coming in! :lol:
DonTirri

Post by DonTirri »

DanielPT wrote:
CoopsII wrote:It's just a bit of fun. I'm sure DonTirri isnt really upset. Were it not for the distance between us Ive no doubt we could have a laugh together over a few drinks.

After a couple of Razors Edges, I am pretty sure the pints wouldn't stop coming in! :lol:

Trust me. I'd drink coopsie under the table long before the need for Razor's Edges appears :P

And yeah. Wrestling fan through and through. But, I have Lewis in me? EXPLAIN EXPLAIN
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

DonTirri wrote:And yeah. Wrestling fan through and through. But, I have Lewis in me? EXPLAIN EXPLAIN

Well, since you asked I will explain. I am sure you won't like it though. :P

First and foremost, both of you whine a lot. Then, and this is after stating that I never contacted or dealt with Lewis at any level whatsoever, your behaviour in this forum is pretty similar to how I imagine Hamilton is in real life (based on interviews and statements). Finally, I saw a pic of you (at least I suppose it was you) on your real twitter account having a chinstrap beard which everyone knows is Hamilton's look.

Again, you asked it. ;)

Almost forgot, both of you are massive fans of something else other than F1. The difference is that you like wrestling, he likes hip hop music.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Came across this. Sure that it doesn't apply here...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:Came across this. Sure that it doesn't apply here...

Bit underhand to start digging around for "dirt" on people, isn't it?
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:Bit underhand to start digging around for "dirt" on people, isn't it?

Underhand? We're hardly hacking phones here. You identifiably put yourself on the net then you takes your chances. I was interested to see if the DonTirri we get on here was the same one as everyone else gets and it turns out, by his own admission, the being a dick and enjoying getting a rise out of people isnt personal hes like that everywhere :lol:

Hopefully, now we know him better we can get along better.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Bit underhand to start digging around for "dirt" on people, isn't it?

Underhand? We're hardly hacking phones here. You identifiably put yourself on the net then you takes your chances. I was interested to see if the DonTirri we get on here was the same one as everyone else gets and it turns out, by his own admission, the being a dick and enjoying getting a rise out of people isnt personal hes like that everywhere :lol:

Hopefully, now we know him better we can get along better.

Someone else Googles him and it's OK; I do it and it's not? Type Don Tirri into Google, and that is on the first page of results.

I don't mind if people Google me. I am 90+% sure there's nothing for me to fear there...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:Someone else Googles him and it's OK; I do it and it's not? Type Don Tirri into Google, and that is on the first page of results.

I don't mind if people Google me. I am 90+% sure there's nothing for me to fear there...

Ataxia was just messing with you because you started using google folowing what is now known as the Nick Chester-gate, man!

Anyway, I googled you and found out that you are some sort of porn actor. :lol:

Seriously, though, in the miriad of doctors (obviously) I found this. Care to explain?
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Someone else Googles him and it's OK; I do it and it's not? Type Don Tirri into Google, and that is on the first page of results.

Ataxia was just messing with you because you started using google folowing what is now known as the Nick Chester-gate, man!

Anyway, I googled you and found out that you are some sort of porn actor. :lol:

Seriously, though, in the miriad of doctors (obviously) I found this. Care to explain?

He's a Danish DJ!

He even appeared in the Finnish top 30 charts in 1992! :)
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:Ataxia was just messing with you because you started using google following what is now known as the Nick Chester-gate, man!

Well, that makes a bit of sense with context added... :roll: Bloody Chester-gate.

DanielPT wrote:Anyway, I googled you and found out that you are some sort of porn actor. :lol:

Doesn't really match up with my desperation on this forum, does it? Or perhaps it is one big cover? Who knows?

DanielPT wrote:Seriously, though, in the miriad of doctors (obviously) I found this. Care to explain?

Seen that being linked to on here before. However, I think I prefer this doctor... :shock:
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:Seriously, though, in the miriad of doctors (obviously) I found this. Care to explain?

Seen that being linked to on here before. However, I think I prefer this doctor... :shock:

You should change your nick to dr-jones and then call the chicks from aqua saying that you want royalties.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

You should change your nick to dr-jones and then call the chicks from aqua saying that you want royalties.

Yeah, 'cos that really will make me attractive to them, won't it? :roll:

:lol: 8-)
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:You should change your nick to dr-jones and then call the chicks from aqua saying that you want royalties.

Oh you wanted to be attractive to them? Whatever works for you... ;)

Anyway, that clip has some 17 years. And they were never heard from again, so a little attention from a 'die-hard' fan would only be flattering.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
DanielPT wrote:You should change your nick to dr-jones and then call the chicks from aqua saying that you want royalties.

Oh you wanted to be attractive to them? Whatever works for you... ;)

Anyway, that clip has some 17 years. And they were never heard from again, so a little attention from a 'die-hard' fan would only be flattering.

Gordon Bennett, is it really that old?! :shock: Well, that makes me feel old. But then, none of us are getting any younger are we? :roll:
MCard LOLA
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Just read the paragraph on Pastor's 2014 season on Wikipedia. Reads a lot like it's comedy. :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastor_Mal ... 2.80.93.29
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mediocre wrote:Just read the paragraph on Pastor's 2014 season on Wikipedia. Reads a lot like it's comedy. :lol:

If you CTRL-F the word 'crash' on there it finds 23 matches :lol:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
mediocre wrote:Just read the paragraph on Pastor's 2014 season on Wikipedia. Reads a lot like it's comedy. :lol:

Pastor Maldonado is set on breaking some hipster F1 records.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

CoopsII wrote:

Collided only 5. That's shocking.
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

It's Kevin Magnussen's birthday today. What a shite day to celebrate :(
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I was just thinking - from the start of 2007, to the start of 2008, Toro Rosso went from the most boring lineup on the grid (Vitantonio Liuzzi/Scott Speed) to arguably the most exciting (Sebastian Vettel/Sebastien Bourdais). From running a perennial F1 underachiever, and a guy who was fired from a NASCAR backmarker team, to a future 4-time World Champion, and a 4-time ChampCar champion and one of the most talented F1 Rejects there has ever been.

Of course, this idea requires you to be someone who rates Bourdais in the first place. :P
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Salamander wrote:I was just thinking - from the start of 2007, to the start of 2008, Toro Rosso went from the most boring lineup on the grid (Vitantonio Liuzzi/Scott Speed) to arguably the most exciting (Sebastian Vettel/Sebastien Bourdais). From running a perennial F1 underachiever, and a guy who was fired from a NASCAR backmarker team, to a future 4-time World Champion, and a 4-time ChampCar champion and one of the most talented F1 Rejects there has ever been.

Of course, this idea requires you to be someone who rates Bourdais in the first place. :P

I remember harking on and on about this on the internet back at the start of the 2008 season to anyone that would listen. :lol:
Not here, obviously, somewhere else (if only I could remember where!), but about how going into pre-season Toro Rosso had the strongest driver lineup on the grid. And then of course most people telling me I'm an idiot. It didn't surprise me in the least Toro Rosso beat their bigger brother team, because simply put, they had better drivers!

For every successful prediction, I make a poor one. Back in 2010 I said Antonio Felix da Costa would be World Champion, doesn't look like that's going to happen so far... :oops:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Biscione wrote:
Salamander wrote:I was just thinking - from the start of 2007, to the start of 2008, Toro Rosso went from the most boring lineup on the grid (Vitantonio Liuzzi/Scott Speed) to arguably the most exciting (Sebastian Vettel/Sebastien Bourdais). From running a perennial F1 underachiever, and a guy who was fired from a NASCAR backmarker team, to a future 4-time World Champion, and a 4-time ChampCar champion and one of the most talented F1 Rejects there has ever been.

I remember harking on and on about this on the internet back at the start of the 2008 season to anyone that would listen. :lol:
Not here, obviously, somewhere else (if only I could remember where!), but about how going into pre-season Toro Rosso had the strongest driver lineup on the grid. And then of course most people telling me I'm an idiot. It didn't surprise me in the least Toro Rosso beat their bigger brother team, because simply put, they had better drivers!

For every successful prediction, I make a poor one. Back in 2010 I said Antonio Felix da Costa would be World Champion, doesn't look like that's going to happen so far... :oops:

To be honest, I don't know what Red Bull wanted to achieve with an aging Coulthard and a not-quite-there Webber. Coulthard was in F1 for two seasons too many, I feel. 2006 would have been a good time to call it a day, but I guess the sway of a Newey chassis was quite tempting...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ataxia wrote:To be honest, I don't know what Red Bull wanted to achieve with an aging Coulthard and a not-quite-there Webber.

They were coming off the back of being that shitty Jaguar team, drivers were hardly queuing up to join them back then :lol:
Just For One Day...