Russian gp ROTR thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
roblo97

Russian gp ROTR thread

Post by roblo97 »

Post your nominatios as and when you see fit.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
noiceinmydrink

Re: Russian gp ROTR thread

Post by noiceinmydrink »

This race for ruining my sex drive.
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

The FOM TV Director for giving us 'Putin Cam'
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

1. 2014 Russian GP

Okay, let's move the race to Dmitrov or "Polygon Ring" or similar (search RTCC to know)
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

mrfakeboullier wrote:The FOM TV Director for giving us 'Putin Cam'

I found it rather amusing, actually.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mexicola wrote:This race for ruining my sex drive.

Did you hurt your hand or something?

Anyway, I nominate Caterham's PR team. Kobayashi retired, I don't think anyone really cared. They then proceed to try and cover their arses with this tweet, furthering the notion that Kobayashi was on full start-and-park mode.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
SgtPepper

Post by SgtPepper »

Hermann Tilke

I think the calendar has enough straight-90°-straights as it is thankyou.
F1 claim to fame - Offending Karun Chandhok 38 minutes into the Korean Grand Prix's FP1.

PSN: SgtPepperThe1st
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

This race for being as interesting as watching my dog sleep. I wish I watched the BTCC instead Christ even the WTCC sounded better

HM's to Toro Rosso for being hopeless and Force India for being easily the worst Mercedes powered team
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

The Russian GP itself - When the most interesting part of the race is the camera cutting to Putin arriving at the circuit, then yeah...
Lotus - Were legitimately fighting for position with Ericsson for a while. They must be glad they got those 8 points earlier in the season, because Sauber are much better right now.
Felipe Massa - Bleh
Gordon Shedden - Just because I can. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

But ROTR has to go to:

The entire Caterham team bar Marcus Ericsson - For making Kobayashi start and park. Good thing Will Buxton called them out on it.
Last edited by Londoner on 12 Oct 2014, 12:59, edited 3 times in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Myself:
Why? Cause after seeing the GP2 and GP3 races I though the F1 race would be as good... I was wrong.

The race:
I was 80 years old when the race was done and was more bored than I would be if I was studying instead.

Niki Lauda:
So, Lauda said Hamilton has won the title.

Catheram:
Simply, for this.

Felipe Massa:
Please Felipe. Why u must be crap when your team mate scores a podium?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
IceG

Post by IceG »

1. Massa for failing to overtake Perez while he was "critically" fuel saving.

2. Pirelli for turning up with such good tyres.
SeedStriker

Post by SeedStriker »

1) The Russian GP: Anolther souless Tilkedrom that put me to sleep faster than a dry Hungaroring race. GJ Tilke.

2) Excessive TV coverage of Putin and Bernie: Gosh, I really wished the rebels bombed the main gallery :p

Dishonorable mentions to Nico Rosberg(lucky that he have a Mercedes, otherwise his choke would've been on a Power level), Felipe Massa(another choker while his teammate was battling for 2nd) and Lotus(loltus reached a new low)

The This Fuel Rule Suck Award goes to the FIA: Bring back refueling or extend the car's range so drivers don't have to lift up!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The GP. Great action from the support races - even GP3 put on a good show - but as soon as F1 started? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Caterham easily. Shambles even though Ericsson did alright.

Can't fault on Putin. World stage and stuff.
Nothing wrong with the track
Rosberg made a comeback.

Nothing else I can think of.
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

Out of interest, why would Caterham ask KK to park up for no reason?
Waris

Post by Waris »

1. Vladimir Putin.
2. Felipe Massa.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
fjackdaw

Post by fjackdaw »

My nominations are the race and also Nico H for being anonymous again.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

SeedStriker wrote: The This Fuel Rule Suck Award goes to the FIA: Bring back refueling or extend the car's range so drivers don't have to lift up!

Unlikely to happen any time in the near future.

ROTR to Marussia for failing to finish their first home Grand Prix on a weekend they really could have used any good news to lift their spirits.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

What a boring race and I actually have hard time finding anyone who performed either really well or really badly.

That said I give my nomination to Toro Rosso, even though 13th and 14th is about what you could expect from them, I had bit more expections after the qualifying though I will admit that I might just had been expecting too much considering that they usually drop few positions during the race (from were they start).

(dis)honorable mentios:
Felipe Massa: This is more about his strategy than for driver himself (though he did get stuck behind Perez after his second stop). Mainly I question that why come in after the first lap when he was already ahead (unless I´m mistaken) of both Lotus, Saubers, Caterhams and Chilton and with Williams having more phase than everyone in front of Massa with the exception of Mercedes? Now Massa had to get pass all the slower drivers again after his stop and while he did do a good job on that I still feel that he would have had better race by just staying on the track and looking for one stop race.
The race itself: Easily winning the award of most boring race of the year, at least for so far.
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Anybody notice how Fernando Alonso had to slow down to avoid the spare jack man who jumped into his path and then quickly out of it again as he got away from the pits?

Anybody notice Lotus F1 Team in this race before or after the Man Without Vowels had the bowels to spin around Adrian Sutil and immediately got a stop-and-go penalty for it?

It all gets trumped by championship contender Nico Rosberg's blunder at the first braking zone of the first lap which compromised his race completely. Anybody notice he rectified that blunder in the end by scoring the fastest lap on a set of tyres that was 53 laps old? How is that for durability?

Glad not to be in Enoch's shoes ... as always ;-)

I feel they need to move some of the concrete walls further away from some corner exits, now that there is enough space with the Olympics not happening anymore at that location. There is so much space available now for additional runoff. I feel they ought to use it from next year onwards.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I struggled to find anything particularly rejectworthy in this race, it being so uneventful, but after seeing the tweet that's been posted Caterham gets my nomination, with a dishonourable mention to the race itself.
#FreeGonzo
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

This race itself was quite low. But I'll go for Caterham: Kobayashi admitted while laughing that he had no idea why the team parked him!

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
TheBigJ

Post by TheBigJ »

fjackdaw wrote:My nominations are the race and also Nico H for being anonymous again.

Hulkenberg was deployed as a Trulli-train to allow Perez into 10th place.

I nominate Caterham for Kobayashi's start-and-park race which is already rejectful in itself and then trying to make out the brakes were overheating.

Honorable mentions : Massa was bathplug awful and clear DBTOTR, Raikkonnen was shocking again, just seems to have given up, and the Torro Rosso drivers for their ridiculous antics at the start of the race which cost the team points and Kvyat a home GP performance to remember.

Sauber and Lotus have basically just become anonymities within the F1 paddock. Not even The Reverend is managing to get them enough air-time on TV.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I predicted that the circuit would produce a boring race (well, it wasn't too boring for me, watching it with a flatmate eased the pain). Sure, my only piece of evidence was that the track felt very similar to Valencia, but these things can be easily connected. So my ROTR goes to the doomed Sochi circuit, the FOM TV directors for showing too much Putin or Toro Rosso for an agonizing fall from grace after qualifying well.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
went

Post by went »

Toro Rosso for dropping like stones and the race for being easily the most boring all season.
solarcold

Post by solarcold »

Taking my risk of being booed, I want to nominate:

1. Felipe Massa (I don't know, tha was just weak)
2. Everyone in Caterham but Ericsson (for obvious reasons)

DHM. Those whining about the dullness of the race. Seriously, it was less intriguing than average, but calling it the dullest race of the season? I'm not buying that. There was strategical intrigue, battles for position especially in the midfield, failures and recoveries etc, all the things to make up a decent yet surely not brilliant race.
"Here's your car. Go nuts."
Dallara, 2010
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Caterham:If they geniunely asked Kobayashi to start-and-park, then it's not a good sign for the team, and seems reminiscent of the 90's teams who did similar.

I'll leave off nominating the race, the track or the tyres, as I think Pirelli played it safe with the tyre compounds, and as it was, it just led to a 2010-style GP with 1 stop for each car. Also, I didn't think the track was as bad as some made it out to be.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

solarcold wrote:DHM. Those whining about the dullness of the race. Seriously, it was less intriguing than average, but calling it the dullest race of the season? I'm not buying that. There was strategical intrigue, battles for position especially in the midfield, failures and recoveries etc, all the things to make up a decent yet surely not brilliant race.

The only real position changes after the inital laps were Massa and Rosberg recovering to where they should've been (sort of in Massa's case) and the Toro Rosso's going backwards. All year, this is the first race where I found myself simply waiting for the race to end.
Everything's great.
LukeB

Post by LukeB »

Tarmac run offs, made the whole thing look like it was taking place in a car park.
The race itself had all the charm and excitement of a Valencia GP.
Making up the numbers
James1978

Post by James1978 »

Can't decide between Caterham for Kobayashi's retirement, Toro Rosso for dropping down the field like flies, and Massa's strategy (similar to Spain 2011 when it was awarded to Webber's strategy). :)

Not going to nominate the race itself or the circuit or anything - even Bahrain (this year) and Valencia (2012) gave stonking races on what were usually seen as mundane venues. Need to give it chance.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

It has to be Toro Rosso for me, because of the totally anonymous showing today.
DonTirri
Location: Herttoniemi, Helsinki, Finland, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

Post by DonTirri »

I got only one nomination. Pirelli Tyres.

Only thing that could've spiced up the race woulda been variable tactis and pitstop shenanigans. But no, Pirelli HAD to go all Bridgestone on us and bring in tyres that just wouldn't break. bathplug that. Fastest lap on 53-lap old Primes? Merc or no Merc, that's bullshite.
I got Pointed Opinions and I ain't afraid to use em!
F1rejects no.1Räikkönen and Vettel fan.
BTW, thats Räikkönen with two K's and two N's. Not Raikonnen (Raikkonen is fine if you have no umlauts though)
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DonTirri wrote:I got only one nomination. Pirelli Tyres.

Only thing that could've spiced up the race woulda been variable tactis and pitstop shenanigans. But no, Pirelli HAD to go all Bridgestone on us and bring in tyres that just wouldn't break. bathplug that. Fastest lap on 53-lap old Primes? Merc or no Merc, that's bullshite.

Pirelli had no data whatsoever for Sochi. How would they know what the degradation would be like? Going for the middle ground seemed like a sensible enough option; okay, they were too durable, but Pirelli now know that for next year. You can't expect them to go in blind and get it right first time.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Mexicola wrote:This race for ruining my sex drive.

[/thread]

Serious vote: Runoff Areas, because they ruin everything. Put walls where the track limits are. I turned this race off about 15 laps in because it reminded me a lot of Valencia. I want to see walls closer to the track (like Montreal) so where a mistake is punished with a trip into a wall. I hoped this race would be good, but once the layout was revealed I knew this was what I would be in for...
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

1) Kvyat - Blew his home race to come home way out of the points

2) Pirelli - what crap tyre choices, restricted the action massively
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

1. Caterham, if only for the shenanigans surrounding Kobayahi's retirement.
2. Massa, in the car he has he should've ended up a lot higher than 11th, having spent quarter of the race unable to pass a crippled Force India. As much as want him to do well, his time has long gone.
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

I'll throw in a dishonourable mention to Toro Rosso for their complete and utter lack of race pace. They spent the whole race going backwards.
Everything's great.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Salamander wrote:I'll throw in a dishonourable mention to Toro Rosso for their complete and utter lack of race pace. They spent the whole race going backwards.

Toro Rosso has said that they're lack of race pace was because of fuel comsume problems.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Toro Rosso. Their qualifying pace has always been better than their race pace through history. But man :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
went

Post by went »

Miguel98 wrote:
Salamander wrote:I'll throw in a dishonourable mention to Toro Rosso for their complete and utter lack of race pace. They spent the whole race going backwards.

Toro Rosso has said that they're lack of race pace was because of fuel comsume problems.

Pérez was told to save as much fuel as possible with 10 laps to go and he still managed to get a point- incidentally progressing the two positions gracefully donated by the TRs.

In fact, if you look at the results, the only remarkable position changes in the top 10 are Magnussen (for the better) and the TRs (for the really worse). Fuel comsumption problems or not, it's completely out of the trend.