The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
andrew

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by andrew »

Simtek wrote:A few days ago while the forum was infected the layout for the Miami circuit was unveiled: http://www.crash.net/crash/news/210035/ ... ealed.html

It's a bit too street-circuity for my liking, but then again so was Beijing, which I enjoyed.

The reason it is a bit street-circuitry may be because it is a street circuit :lol:
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

andrew wrote:
Simtek wrote:A few days ago while the forum was infected the layout for the Miami circuit was unveiled: http://www.crash.net/crash/news/210035/ ... ealed.html

It's a bit too street-circuity for my liking, but then again so was Beijing, which I enjoyed.

The reason it is a bit street-circuitry may be because it is a street circuit :lol:

Touché.
OK then, allow me to rephrase: It's got a bit too many 90-degree turns for my liking. ;)
#FreeGonzo
nome66

Post by nome66 »

i'm just sad they redeveloped the semi-permanent bit that IMSA Camel GT and CART/ICWS used.

it's a little "mickey mouse" and back-and-forth-ish, but it's a lot better than just 8 turns.
also, as you could probably tell, the map of the track on the website isn't an accurate map of the current "Museum park road"..... and by that i mean that road no longer exists. way to get my hopes up and check google earth, FIA.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Formula E makes its return this weekend in Malaysia after a very long break. Prost has his 10 place grid penalty after his incident with quick nick. Antonio Felix da costs will race instead of Sato according to the fan boost page. Although Almin aguri have 3 drivers listed on there, the others being Leimer and Legge.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

All those of you on the same lump of North Atlantic rock as me: ITV4, Saturday, five in the morning. Highlights will be shown later, but this is where the hardcore Formula E fans reside... right?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I feel like the gap between races has been too great, a lot of the excitement that was generated at Beijing has completely died down now. At least the other gaps between races are a bit more sensible.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dinizintheoven wrote:All those of you on the same lump of North Atlantic rock as me: ITV4, Saturday, five in the morning. Highlights will be shown later, but this is where the hardcore Formula E fans reside... right?

Yeah, I am planning on doing an all nighter before the raceas well
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:All those of you on the same lump of North Atlantic rock as me: ITV4, Saturday, five in the morning. Highlights will be shown later, but this is where the hardcore Formula E fans reside... right?

Right! FE and F1 qually on the same day! :D
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Autosport have reported that it will now be compulsory to use FanBoost if you are lucky enough to gain it. This is apparently is response to it not being used at all by the drivers in the last round in Beijing.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Haha no wonder that I actually enjoyed the first race more than I thought I would, nobody used the CrapBoost - I'd already figured that Senna wouldn't have had the chance, Legge was always going to be miles back anyway, but pleased to know di Grassi won without it.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

MorbidelliObese wrote:Haha no wonder that I actually enjoyed the first race more than I thought I would, nobody used the CrapBoost - I'd already figured that Senna wouldn't have had the chance, Legge was always going to be miles back anyway, but pleased to know di Grassi won without it.

Legge and di Grassi had battery concerns that prevented them from using it in the first place, I think. Not that it would've made any difference anyway.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AND it looks like they're ditching the formation lap, because it took too long last time (worries about energy conservation). Will instead just form up, move forward five rows of the grid then start. Drivers don't seem keen. Story on Autosport before on Formula E's own site, it seems.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

FanBoost has been given to Senna, Legge (both had it last time - wonder if this will be consistent?) and Heidfeld (the sympathy vote?). And Servia on pole with Bird alongside on front row.
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Goddamnit Brabham, you had a perfect chance to take Senna out, and you hit Heidfeld instead.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

And the safety car picks up the wrong driver! And one woman driver gets caught out and hits the other woman driver on lap 1. :(

And why so many laps behind the safety car? Get going already!
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Poor Heidfeld :(
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

ARGH FRANCK WHY.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
apple2009

Post by apple2009 »

dr-baker wrote:Autosport have reported that it will now be compulsory to use FanBoost if you are lucky enough to gain it. This is apparently is response to it not being used at all by the drivers in the last round in Beijing.
:roll:
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

What does Heidfeld need to do to finish a FE race?
MCard LOLA
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

dr-baker wrote:And the safety car picks up the wrong driver! And one woman driver gets caught out and hits the other woman driver on lap 1. :(

Add Heidfeld to this post and it's like a compilation at all the rejectfulness for these first 9 laps
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

sw3ishida wrote:
dr-baker wrote:And the safety car picks up the wrong driver! And one woman driver gets caught out and hits the other woman driver on lap 1. :(

Add Heidfeld to this post and it's like a compilation at all the rejectfulness for these first 9 laps

True. And that is either clever or rejectful for Abt, have to wait to see (early car change at end of lap 10). And safety car in quicker this time !
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Oh god, Formula E's got F1-style stewards. EURGH. :x
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Penalty for Trulli, not for causing a Trulli Train but for an energy infringement.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Senna just passed Prost on track!!!
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Senna bins it hard on the final lap. Idiot. :roll: :lol:

Great win by Sam Bird, no-one had an answer to him today.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

A great race, full of action. Much better covered than in Beijing. And still no music from FE's DJ/"eJ"! :D Although the cars still seem so, so quiet, even relative to F1! ;) :lol:
MCard LOLA
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Loved the racing, so much stuff happining and not a single boring spot during the whole race (well, maybe safety car moments but I really needed those to catch up :lol: ). Standings updating wrong were the only thing that kept annoying me as it made it bit hard to know who was were behind the leading pack (at one point, Buami was 17th lap down according to standings and then few laps later he as suddenly 10th and on the lead lap for example). I would also loved to hear if that first turn cutting from Prost, Di Grassi and D´Ambrosio actually led to anything. I guess not since they didn´t get any penalties during the race but it would had been nice to get a confirmation from that. Still, watching that race was a great way to spend Saturday morning and I will certainly watch the next race too.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

British national anthem was cut short. Bird's mechanics continue singing anthem anyway! And some nice trophies again.
MCard LOLA
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

Great race, seriously amazing. It had everything. Everything. Last lap crash, exciting battles all around, a superb drive, and its fair share of rejectfulness. It was probably one of the best races I have ever seen.

As I said on the chat, this race has just got me back into motor racing. And back to F1Rejects. So, never thought I'd say this a year ago, but thank you Formula E.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

WaffleCat wrote:
As I said on the chat, this race has just got me back into motor racing. And back to F1Rejects. So, never thought I'd say this a year ago, but thank you Formula E.

Just hoping that the Abu Double Grand Points race isn't an anti-climax after that. Although it will be hard to match a race like that!

And back to bed I go...
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Nuthin' like a bit o' girl on girl!

Really enjoyed that race, definitely worth getting up for! Gutted for Nick though, he might have been in with a shout of a podium today. Bird flew away with it today.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Just watched a recording of today's race while waiting for the F1 qualifying to start. Some thoughts...

Another entertaining race, although no battle for the lead this time, as Bird had it all wrapped-up.

I like the idea of the aeons-long warm-up lap being done-away with, and the safety car seemed to be brought in quite quickly when all was ready to go racing again, too.

Is there a Curse of the Fan Boost? Everyone who has it seems to go on to have an awful race. Poor Heidfeld, walloped out of it again through no fault of his own.

The coverage still needs some work - the director never seems to be quite on top of what's going on. I don't know if he or she simply has a smaller team working with them than in bigger series such as F1, so fewer people monitoring sources and helping to work out what to cut to when, etc.

Franchitti seemed to make an odd error, too - did he keep talking about Senna doing so well with a damaged car, when the hit with the wall actually happened with Senna's first car, before the stops?

Nicki Shields, the pit lane interviewer, might need to work on her tact when speaking to the celebs in attendance - "Apparently you're a very famous actress here in Malaysia?"
Last edited by Paul Hayes on 23 Nov 2014, 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm sure we all said it before last time - Formula E will still have a few teething troubles, the most obvious at the moment being the shonky telemmetry (no, Oriol, you don't really have a full battery after five laps!), the "F1-style stewarding" that's already been pointed out, and the inescapable fact that this mid-race car changing will most likely be with us for a few seasons yet. But if they can pull off that kind of race every time - or even most of the time - that'll be throwing down the gauntlet to F1 and saying "beat that!"

The significance of the race winner is certainly not lost on me either. I remember when Timo Glock re-signed for "Marussia Virgin Racing" as it was still called at the end of the 2011 season, he said the team's ultimate goal was still to score their first podium at the 2014 Russian Grand Prix. We all know how that has turned out. So as the Manor/Virgin/Marussia F1 story slams shut, Virgin Racing lives again and is a winning team at the second attempt - with one of their previous F1 drivers as the first ever winner. If I was Richard Branson I'd be a lot happier right now than four years ago.

I also want to see a lot more dicing between Senna and Prost. That's the battle that sparked my interest in F1 in the first pace, coming up for a quarter of a century ago!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

It's occurred to me that Nick Heidfeld could probably have been in the top-3 of the championship at this stage if he had not been taken out of each race. If he becomes a title challenger, I hope these races don't decide the outcome...
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

dr-baker wrote:It's occurred to me that Nick Heidfeld could probably have been in the top-3 of the championship at this stage if he had not been taken out of each race. If he becomes a title challenger, I hope these races don't decide the outcome...

I'm beginning to worry that his condition has worsened from never winning races to never finishing them.
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

dr-baker wrote:It's occurred to me that Nick Heidfeld could probably have been in the top-3 of the championship at this stage if he had not been taken out of each race. If he becomes a title challenger, I hope these races don't decide the outcome...

In a 9-race season? Of course they will.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Bobby Doorknobs

Salamander wrote:

In a 9-race season? Of course they will.

I say bring back dropped scores solely to improve Nick's chances! :)
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I thought it was a great race, really feisty stuff from most of the drivers and an improvement on Beijing. The fan-boost thing, I think, needs to be abandoned though. Unless some of the younger fans want to correct me and tell me they think it's a great idea it reeks of something some old bezzer has concocted because he thinks thats what engaging with da kids looks like.
Just For One Day...
Bobby Doorknobs

CoopsII wrote:I thought it was a great race, really feisty stuff from most of the drivers and an improvement on Beijing. The fan-boost thing, I think, needs to be abandoned though. Unless some of the younger fans want to correct me and tell me they think it's a great idea it reeks of something some old bezzer has concocted because he thinks thats what engaging with da kids looks like.

I'm a younger fan and yes it is bullshit, worse than DRS. Thankfully it hasn't had a massive impact on the racing (yet).
#FreeGonzo
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

dr-baker wrote:Penalty for Trulli, not for causing a Trulli Train but for an energy infringement.

Shouldn't we now be calling it a Trulli E-Train? ;)
Just For One Day...