The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by DanielPT »

f1andrea wrote:the things become more and more unclear/clear:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 27162.html

So Cojocar (an ex footballer) tried to buy Caterham Sport for running Caterham and Forza Rossa for 2015..

So we are talking about a moneyless Mateschitz wannabe. I feast in this rejectfullness.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

The administrators claim that there is interest in buying the team:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116565

From the article and from what is probably a press statement:

some deluded person wrote:"We remain in conversation with a number of credible, interested parties regarding the sale of the historic Caterham F1 racing team.

"Our current strategy is to seek a buyer that will allow the team to compete in the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi on 23 November 2014 and we are doing all we can to make that happen.

"However, if a deal cannot be finalised in time, then the strategy is to secure a buyer to allow the team to compete in the 2015 F1 championship."

Historic?
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
Faustus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Faustus »

f1andrea wrote:the things become more and more unclear/clear:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/moto ... 27162.html

So Cojocar (an ex footballer) tried to buy Caterham Sport for running Caterham and Forza Rossa for 2015..

Very surprised at the poor quality of this article. I thought Christian Sylt (he of Formula Money fame) was better than this. The article is a pure publicity piece for Forza Rossa.

article in The Independent wrote:it was only a matter of time before the sport attracted the attention of eastern Europe’s super-rich.

I'll believe that one when I see it. Wasn't the same crap said when Vitaly Petrov went to Team Enstone?

article in The Independent wrote:The country does not have a Formula One race but Forza Rossa could be the springboard for one as it was in India, which hosted its first grand prix in 2011, three years after the debut of the Force India team.

Look what happened to the Indian Grand Prix and the lack of interest in Formula 1 in India.
Following Formula 1 since 1984.
Avid collector of Formula 1 season guides and reviews.
Collector of reject merchandise and 1/43rd scale reject model cars.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Faustus wrote:The administrators claim that there is interest in buying the team:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116565

From the article and from what is probably a press statement:

some deluded person wrote:"We remain in conversation with a number of credible, interested parties regarding the sale of the historic Caterham F1 racing team.

"Our current strategy is to seek a buyer that will allow the team to compete in the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi on 23 November 2014 and we are doing all we can to make that happen.

"However, if a deal cannot be finalised in time, then the strategy is to secure a buyer to allow the team to compete in the 2015 F1 championship."

Historic?

I said the same thing when I read this :lol: I hope this buyer can save Caterham, the F1 scenario is coming darkness
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Caterham's website is back online! :D
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:Caterham's website is back online! :D

Good sign! C'mon Caterham!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:Caterham's website is back online! :D

Perhaps they set Kobayashi the task of getting it going again.
Just For One Day...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Caterham were apparently going to run Barrichello in the last 3 races!

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/11/04/cate ... -comeback/
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Ed24 wrote:Caterham were apparently going to run Barrichello in the last 3 races!

He'd have never done as good a job in the Caterham as Lotterer did.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
Ed24 wrote:Caterham were apparently going to run Barrichello in the last 3 races!

Ah... Heartbreak for Klon. I guess it's better like this as there was a not-that-small chance of seeing him being beaten by Marcus Ericsson.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

DanielPT wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:

Ah... Heartbreak for Klon. I guess it's better like this as there was a not-that-small chance of seeing him being beaten by Marcus Ericsson.

I wonder what excuse Rubens would've came up with when Ericsson outqualified him.... :lol:
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I wonder what excuse Rubens would've came up with when Ericsson outqualified him.... :lol:

Easy: "The team, they made me qualify poorly. They are like blah blah blah..."
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

I'm almost certain Rubens is trying to emulate Roberto Moreno by driving whatever car is offered to him. :P
#FreeGonzo
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Realistically he would have been incredibly slow, so really not sure it would have been the farewell to the Brazilian crowd that he would have imagined.
-Abraham Lincoln
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Ed24 wrote:Realistically he would have been incredibly slow, so really not sure it would have been the farewell to the Brazilian crowd that he would have imagined.

Yeah, I like the idea in principle but in reality it would've been quite an anti-climax. Unless of course Rubens was pitching it as a display to earn himself a 2015 drive :o
Just For One Day...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Although had he been faster than Ericsson in any session, it would have given Marcus the dubious honour of being outpaced in a session by 5 team-mates during the year. (Kobayashi, Lotterer, Frijns, Merhi)
-Abraham Lincoln
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Ed24 wrote:Although had he been faster than Ericsson in any session, it would have given Marcus the dubious honour of being outpaced in a session by 5 team-mates during the year. (Kobayashi, Lotterer, Frijns, Merhi)

You obviously failed to spot Marcus ploy to ease his team-mates into a false sense of superiority. Next year it will be all different you will see...
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

DanielPT wrote:
Ed24 wrote:Although had he been faster than Ericsson in any session, it would have given Marcus the dubious honour of being outpaced in a session by 5 team-mates during the year. (Kobayashi, Lotterer, Frijns, Merhi)

You obviously failed to spot Marcus ploy to ease his team-mates into a false sense of superiority. Next year it will be all different you will see...

Ah yes of course! To be fair, he did start to improve a bit later in the season and made fewer mistakes. Will be interesting to see how he goes next year.
-Abraham Lincoln
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

It might still happen...we can dare to dream!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/11/0 ... formulaOne
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Considering most of the sponsors that Barrichello had were probably there mostly for Interlagos, not sure if he'll be able to get a deal together to race at Abu Dhabi but who knows.
-Abraham Lincoln
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

I want his sponsor to be his original sponsor, Arisco, which I think is a brand of Brazilian recipe/spice mixes.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

-Abraham Lincoln
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Damn, I miss too much the nineties.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Pointrox

Post by Pointrox »

How long did it take Kobayashi to raise 1 million pounds he paid to Caterham? A year or something like that?
And they expect to raise 2.3 million euro in a matter of weeks.
Unless someone donates a hefty paycheck to cover most of it, we will have another 18-car race :(
mario

Post by mario »

Pointrox wrote:How long did it take Kobayashi to raise 1 million pounds he paid to Caterham? A year or something like that?
And they expect to raise 2.3 million euro in a matter of weeks.
Unless someone donates a hefty paycheck to cover most of it, we will have another 18-car race :(

Or, equally, one can compare their efforts to that of Brabham and their efforts to resurrect their marque by crowd funding - they were looking to only raise a tenth of what Caterham wanted to do in the same timeframe and they were struggling to reach that total.

Furthermore, whilst they might have had more support earlier in the season, they seem to have blown most of their goodwill with the fans because of the messy nature of their administration proceedings and the way that they have treated Kobayashi and many of the people who were working for the team. I have to agree that Caterham are dreaming if they think they can raise enough to get to Abi Dhabi - they'll be lucky to raise enough for a one way ticket there...
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Is there not a terribly bad GP2/FR3.5 driver who has sponsors willing to cough up that money to get them to Abu Dhabi? Imagine someone like Cecotto or Canamasas at the double points race
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

andrew2209 wrote:Canamasas

Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Just had an interesting conversation with a Caterham employee on Twitter. Feel sorry for them, but they are now just holding out hope that the crowdfunding buys them the time to find a buyer.

I just think it's an underhand, undignified way of going about things. People like the person I've just had a conversation with depend on their employers to conduct themselves professionally, and currently Caterham aren't doing that. It's all false hope. Of course if the rules had been laid down properly in 2010 none of this would be happening, but there we go!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

And I've also just discovered, thanks to James Allen, that Crowdcube's accountancy firm is Smith & Williamson, a company for whom Finbarr O'Connell, the team's administrator and "interim team principal" works for!

The whole thing is just a publicity stunt! What was I saying about f***ing with peoples' livelihoods again?! Christ almighty.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

You say "crowdfunding", I say "begging".
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

I tried to donate, I registered my account, I inserted my money data but when I click 'PAY' nothing happened...has anyone tried to do the same? I want donate, I want see Caterham in Abu Dhabi, but is a very, very difficult challenge...very surprised that no pay drivers help the team..

now we are at 12%, not so much, but more than Brabham project
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

f1andrea wrote:I tried to donate, I registered my account, I inserted my money data but when I click 'PAY' nothing happened...has anyone tried to do the same? I want donate, I want see Caterham in Abu Dhabi, but is a very, very difficult challenge...very surprised that no pay drivers help the team..

well pledged £40....I just think what the hell.... £40 lol
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Simtek wrote:I'm almost certain Rubens is trying to emulate Roberto Moreno by driving whatever car is offered to him. :P

Or Terry Labonte who jumped from team to team after 2004 running R&D cars, guaranteeing entries for upstarts, and sputtering around in the rear.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Well that explains a lot. Who the hell wants to drive a car after a chronically-flatulent driver has been in it? Spluttering around in the rear indeed.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

WeirdKerr wrote:
f1andrea wrote:I tried to donate, I registered my account, I inserted my money data but when I click 'PAY' nothing happened...has anyone tried to do the same? I want donate, I want see Caterham in Abu Dhabi, but is a very, very difficult challenge...very surprised that no pay drivers help the team..

well pledged £40....I just think what the hell.... £40 lol

Finally I manage to send the donation, but not so much as you ;)
Now we're at 21%, but since 10e30 to 13e00 the percentage increase from 13% to 21%. C'mon, save Caterham!!
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Captain Hammer wrote:

You say "begging" and I say "exploiting".
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Cynon wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:

You say "begging" and I say "exploiting".

I agree with you Cynon. At best the money will only be used for reducing the amount of debt since there's no chance in hell they'll raise enough for Abu Dhabi, let alone 2015. And after what AndreaModa said a bit earlier in the thread, I have zero intention of donating, particularly since I'm a tad young to do so.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

At 6 days to go we have reached the 27%, £644,540 of 2,350,000. A big increase this evening (100,000 in less than one hour), I start to belive it