The Caterham Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Frogfoot9013

Re: The Caterham Thread

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

f1andrea wrote:At 6 days to go we have reached the 27%, £644,540 of 2,350,000. A big increase this evening (100,000 in less than one hour), I start to belive it

Even if they do make it to Abu Dhabi, I sincerely doubt we'll see Caterham on the grid come Albert Park next March though.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
f1andrea wrote:At 6 days to go we have reached the 27%, £644,540 of 2,350,000. A big increase this evening (100,000 in less than one hour), I start to belive it

Even if they do make it to Abu Dhabi, I sincerely doubt we'll see Caterham on the grid come Albert Park next March though.

I doubt it too, but if Caterham go to Abu Dhabi then he can increase his chanches for saving the team...a difficult situation, but during the winter all can happen
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Captain Hammer wrote:Well that explains a lot. Who the hell wants to drive a car after a chronically-flatulent driver has been in it? Spluttering around in the rear indeed.

Plenty of drivers who just want to make it to NASCAR's top level?
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

At 5 days and 3 hours to go we have reached the 45%, but during the GP only 10.000 £ were donated. This morning someone has donated 100.000, the total now is £1,080,704. I hope only that now the donations doesn't stop
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

f1andrea wrote:At 5 days and 3 hours to go we have reached the 45%, but during the GP only 10.000 £ were donated. This morning someone has donated 100.000, the total now is £1,080,704. I hope only that now the donations doesn't stop

I'm disappointed that the American coverage made no mention of this effort. Did the SKY coverage mention it at all over the weekend?
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
mario

Post by mario »

F1000X wrote:
f1andrea wrote:At 5 days and 3 hours to go we have reached the 45%, but during the GP only 10.000 £ were donated. This morning someone has donated 100.000, the total now is £1,080,704. I hope only that now the donations doesn't stop

I'm disappointed that the American coverage made no mention of this effort. Did the SKY coverage mention it at all over the weekend?

It seems to have come up in an interview Kravitz had with Christian Horner, yielding a rather angry response from Horner who responded with the following comment:
“The fans pay to be entertained by the teams, they shouldn’t be having to pay for a team. The concept of that is wrong and shouldn’t be allowed.”

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ham-return

Given the nature of his response, Horner seems to be taking the attitude that Caterham are exploiting the good will of their fans as they seek a bailout.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

mario wrote:Given the nature of his response, Horner seems to be taking the attitude that Caterham are exploiting the good will of their fans as they seek a bailout.

I agree with him on that. It's one of the two reasons I'm not donating to it, the other being that I'm too young.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

My biggest problem with it is that it just screams desperation and just smacks of all the wrong things. Granted they shouldn't have been allowed to be in this position in the first place. On one hand, it's a pretty undignified way to go about things, but it was the way the sport was managed that caused (probably a strong word to use, but they certainly didn't help) them to get into the mess that they're in. Another issue is their long term prospects; Kamui's F1 ride was crowdfunded and you don't need me to tell you how much of a disaster that was.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
mario wrote:Given the nature of his response, Horner seems to be taking the attitude that Caterham are exploiting the good will of their fans as they seek a bailout.

I agree with him on that. It's one of the two reasons I'm not donating to it, the other being that I'm too young.

On that note, maybe I shouldn't buy Red Bull if I want to show support for the team.

Oh wait, I don't support the team, and I find their product vile. Oh well. But if I liked Martini, I would be buying it to support Williams this year... Only difference between this and Caterham's approach is that I get a product in return and only some of my money goes to support the team. But if I wanted ALL my money to support my favoured team? Why not?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Onxy Wrecked

Post by Onxy Wrecked »

Mexicola wrote:My biggest problem with it is that it just screams desperation and just smacks of all the wrong things. Granted they shouldn't have been allowed to be in this position in the first place. On one hand, it's a pretty undignified way to go about things, but it was the way the sport was managed that caused (probably a strong word to use, but they certainly didn't help) them to get into the mess that they're in. Another issue is their long term prospects; Kamui's F1 ride was crowdfunded and you don't need me to tell you how much of a disaster that was.

Kamui drops out of Caterham pretty fast.
More Moneytron, more problems for Onyx!
A flock of Kroghs appear on the NASCAR Track and cause caw-tions!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

James Allen wrote: If one was being cynical one would suggest that today’s statement, which goes on to explain all about Crowdcube and features a quote from that company’s CEO, is an exercise in using the massive glare of publicity surrounding F1 to gain awareness for Crowdcube, whose accountancy firm is none other than Smith & Williamson, for whom O’Connell works. O’Connell, meanwhile, is certainly using the Caterham crisis to gain awareness for himself and his firm.

I'm cynical, I believe it to be one of my strong points, so I agree with James Allen. This stinks.
Just For One Day...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Cynicism is not a virtue, and certainly not something to be proud of.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Captain Hammer wrote:Cynicism is not a virtue, and certainly not something to be proud of.

Hmm, I wonder what's behind your comment?
Just For One Day...
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

eagleash wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/30020798?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

She will probably score as many points as Jarno Trulli, Heikki Kovalainen, Kamui Kobayashi, Vitaly Petrov, Karun Chandhok, Charles Pic, Giedo van der Garde, Marcus Ericsson, and André Lotterer managed for Lotus/Caterham put together.

But Caterham won't make it to Abu Dhabi.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

I need to read this on Autosport or Motorsport in order to truly believe Alice Powell possibly being in the car for Abu Dhabi.

Update: Racing or First Practice? I'm a bit confused. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29986655
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

golic_2004 wrote:I need to read this on Autosport or Motorsport in order to truly believe Alice Powell possibly being in the car for Abu Dhabi.

Update: Racing or First Practice? I'm a bit confused. http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/29986655

At first, I was confused and was asking myself how on earth she would qualify for a Superlicence, so I guess from reading her quotations that it is FP1 only.

And of course, I am now desperately hoping that this is going to happen!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

dr-baker wrote:
golic_2004 wrote:I need to read this on Autosport or Motorsport in order to truly believe Alice Powell possibly being in the car for Abu Dhabi.

At first, I was confused and was asking myself how on earth she would qualify for a Superlicence, so I guess from reading her quotations that it is FP1 only.

Yes me too, but it really doesn't seem likely.
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Zetec

Post by Zetec »

£35,000 for a FP1 outing? This chap obviously doesn't know that this is F1?
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Zetec wrote:£35,000 for a FP1 outing? This chap obviously doesn't know that this is F1?

the same things I've thought. At 2 days and 6 hours to go, we have reached the 52%, too little..we need a miracle, I hope in a last minute solution.

Plus, Ericsson will not be available for racing in Abu Dhabi as he cut his agreements with the team:

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3189 ... m-f1-team/
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

f1andrea wrote:
Zetec wrote:£35,000 for a FP1 outing? This chap obviously doesn't know that this is F1?

the same things I've thought. At 2 days and 6 hours to go, we have reached the 52%, too little..we need a miracle, I hope in a last minute solution.

Plus, Ericsson will not be available for racing in Abu Dhabi as he cut his agreements with the team:

Barrichello may still get a chance to race for Caterham if the crowdfunding succeeds. :D
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

This is turning into an absolute shambles now. As if it wasn't already!

Ericsson's made the right choice jumping ship, to be associated with this mess now is only going to end badly. It is complete fantasy to think that the team will get to Abu Dhabi, so when drivers such as Alice Powell attempt to throw their hat into the ring, it does only one thing - it damages her image and integrity.

We all knew the show was over weeks ago, I just cannot understand why people can't seem to accept this.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AndreaModa wrote:This is turning into an absolute shambles now. As if it wasn't already!

Ericsson's made the right choice jumping ship, to be associated with this mess now is only going to end badly. It is complete fantasy to think that the team will get to Abu Dhabi, so when drivers such as Alice Powell attempt to throw their hat into the ring, it does only one thing - it damages her image and integrity.

We all knew the show was over weeks ago, I just cannot understand why people can't seem to accept this.

Yep, everyone should know by now that any team Kolles touches goes to sleep and doesn't wake up again.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Here's a killer rule change for F1 that can introduce balance.

Any team that wins the WCC must hire Kolles immediatly and keep him for the duration of their championship year(s). I think we'd bow down to any team that could win two in a row with that rule in effect. :D

Sign below to make it happen:

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

To be honest, if it's a double points race, and the grid is lacking slightly on drivers, I could see Alice Powell getting a superlicence to race just for publicity, seeing as she'd be the first female driver to attempt to qualify since 1992, and the first to actually race since 1976.

Then again, I'd love to see a Barrichello/Lotterer dream team
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
f1andrea wrote:

Barrichello may still get a chance to race for Caterham if the crowdfunding succeeds. :D

Despite not able to race in his home race, I think Barrichello will accept the opportunity to make a proper farewell.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Any team that wins the WCC must hire Kolles immediatly and keep him for the duration of their championship year(s). I think we'd bow down to any team that could win two in a row with that rule in effect. :D

Except Kolles is a miracle worker by keeping teams alive that by all intents should be dead. Odds are, giving him a top team would enable said top team to cut costs significantly and still keep winning, enabling to give more money to smaller teams and...

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
3. Klon
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Klon wrote:
Sublime_FA11C wrote:Any team that wins the WCC must hire Kolles immediatly and keep him for the duration of their championship year(s). I think we'd bow down to any team that could win two in a row with that rule in effect. :D

Except Kolles is a miracle worker by keeping teams alive that by all intents should be dead. Odds are, giving him a top team would enable said top team to cut costs significantly and still keep winning, enabling to give more money to smaller teams and...

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
3. Klon

I'm more than willing to make this happen.

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
3. Klon
4. Simtek
#FreeGonzo
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

Seems that 5 drivers are on the Caterham list: the favourite is Joylon Palmer, GP2 2014 winner. 54% reached at 1 day 5 hours to go, still a long way to reach the goal. Very difficult...c'mon guys, donate, we can make history!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

f1andrea wrote:Seems that 5 drivers are on the Caterham list: the favourite is Joylon Palmer, GP2 2014 winner. 54% reached at 1 day 5 hours to go, still a long way to reach the goal. Very difficult...c'mon guys, donate, we can make history!

Setting £1 million on fire is a better investment than giving it to 1MRT. At least then you get to bask in the warm glow of a bonfire, rather than watching the money vanish in an instant.
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Simtek wrote:
Klon wrote:

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
3. Klon

I'm more than willing to make this happen.

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
3. Klon
4. Simtek

This would be awesome

1. Sublime
2. Kolles
3. Klon
4. Simtek
5. roblomas52
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

they have added a lot of used under race suit and in less than 30 minutes all sold out and 57% reached, +3%. They're adding a lot of memorabilia, if you're interested keep an eye on the page https://www.crowdcube.com/caterham/
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

dr-baker wrote:

Whenever POW shows up on the time charts, everyone on track instantly spins and crashes! :D
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Caterham's administrators have said the team may still go to Abu Dhabi even if, as expected, they fall short of the £2.35m crowdfunding target tomorrow.

This cannot possibly end well.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

I'd say they'd probably be thrown out of the paddock like Andrea Moda were! :lol:
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

East Londoner wrote:Caterham's administrators have said the team may still go to Abu Dhabi even if, as expected, they fall short of the £2.35m crowdfunding target tomorrow.

On the plus side they seem to be as determined as Zoran Stefanovic. :P
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

If they were to turn up regardless of whether or not they get the crowdfunding money, wouldn't that make all the crowdfunding kinda pointless?
LionZoo

Post by LionZoo »

Simtek wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Caterham's administrators have said the team may still go to Abu Dhabi even if, as expected, they fall short of the £2.35m crowdfunding target tomorrow.

On the plus side they seem to be as determined as Zoran Stefanovic. :P

I am Team Zoran Stefanovic Buys Caterham And Shows Up To Abu Dhabi. #TZSBCASUTAB!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:If they were to turn up regardless of whether or not they get the crowdfunding money, wouldn't that make all the crowdfunding kinda pointless?

Not really. $2,300,000 are probably the ideal solution, i.e. enough to appear and take care of everything properly. If you get less than that you can make things work with minor sponsorship and cutting corners wherever humanly possible.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Klon wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:If they were to turn up regardless of whether or not they get the crowdfunding money, wouldn't that make all the crowdfunding kinda pointless?

Not really. $2,300,000 are probably the ideal solution, i.e. enough to appear and take care of everything properly. If you get less than that you can make things work with minor sponsorship and cutting corners wherever humanly possible.

I wouldn't mind if they cut some corners. I always thought the Caterham car a bit on the boxy side...

I'll grab my coat.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.