Alcohol advertising ban?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

Alcohol advertising ban?

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... a-One.html

It seems the EU is pushing to ban alcohol advertising in sport, meaning a number of F1 teams (Williams most notably) could lose quite a lot of sponsorship money.

Are they doing the right thing? Discuss.
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Re: Alcohol advertising ban?

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Maybe it's because I have no sort of a social life whatsoever (I mean I'm a complete loner), and I'm a tad young to be drinking (I never intend to drink in my life anyway) but I don't know anyone who started drinking because they saw an F1 car sponsored by an alcohol company. Then again, motorsport isn't exactly big in Ireland....
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I don't know anyone who started drinking because they saw an F1 car sponsored by an alcohol company.

The exact same argument was used to defend tobacco sponsorship when it was banned about ten years ago. It's not the fact that sponsorship would immediatedly cause people to smoke/drink, but the fact that it promotes the brands of companies that, to be honest, are harmful to people (although alcohol is actually good for you if used with moderation). That and most of the viewers are underage so in this modern world of extreme protection from life's realities they shouldn't know bad things like that even exist.
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
Bobby Doorknobs

Frogfoot9013 wrote:Maybe it's because I have no sort of a social life whatsoever (I mean I'm a complete loner), and I'm a tad young to be drinking (I never intend to drink in my life anyway) but I don't know anyone who started drinking because they saw an F1 car sponsored by an alcohol company. Then again, motorsport isn't exactly big in Ireland....

I've never purchased a can of Red Bull in all the years they have been in F1 (including their time as a sponsor for Sauber, which is pretty much my whole life), nor do I intend to. I never was tempted by tobacco sponsors (although I was a bit too young to really consider smoking when they were a common sight on the grid, still don't smoke) and... hang on a sec you're Irish and you don't intend to ever drink? :shock:
#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Simtek wrote: and... hang on a sec you're Irish and you don't intend to ever drink? :shock:

That's what happens when you join the Pioneers for a school quiz... Anyways I was never intending to drink anyway. Maybe it's just because I'm somewhat insane (see my signature) but yeah it is considerably out of character for an Irish person, although I actually do know people my age in Ireland who don't intend to drink when older either. But then again, they're just as gone in the head as I am.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Yup right, our celebrated Belgian beer culture is entirely to blame on the Belle Vue sponsorship from Patrick Nève in 1977.
If it weren't for Surtees, nobody would ever use Durex, right?
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

This is going nowhere. Unless they are serious in which case alcohol should be banned in pubs just like smoking is. Smoking is highly addictive and racks up huge medical expenses, alcohol is a mere nuisance in comparison. Should IT sponsors be banned too because of RSI and eye related problems?
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:This is going nowhere. Unless they are serious in which case alcohol should be banned in pubs just like smoking is. Smoking is highly addictive and racks up huge medical expenses, alcohol is a mere nuisance in comparison. Should IT sponsors be banned too because of RSI and eye related problems?

Energy drinks would be a better comparsion :P
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
McJaggers

Post by McJaggers »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:This is going nowhere. Unless they are serious in which case alcohol should be banned in pubs just like smoking is. Smoking is highly addictive and racks up huge medical expenses, alcohol is a mere nuisance in comparison. Should IT sponsors be banned too because of RSI and eye related problems?

I know this is ban is euro centric, but in Australia, the total social impact of drinking is huge, I believe the tangible and intangible cost exceedes 10bil annually. Its about the same for smoking.

It also causes about 3000 premature deaths per year, smoking causes 20000. Although a teenager wrapping a car full of friends around a tree, is of a different caliber to a 70 year old dying of emphysema.

Just a PSA, continue on with the political discussion.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

My first thought after reading this: Williams is doomed.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Ed24

Post by Ed24 »

Force India would be in more trouble than Williams I think. They have less chance of finding other backing. As Saward suggested, it's unlikely this is happening by coincidence, probably being pushed along by someone trying to further destabilise these teams.

Of course by the logic of this ban, telecommunications companies will be banned as part of the campaign to reduce texting/calling whilst driving. :roll:
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
-Abraham Lincoln
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Well us fans have been demanding it long enough! Rose water on all podiums except Red Bull cans in Austria. Could there be a more disturbing and scandalous image than that of drivers, best drivers in the world mind you, drinking! In order to celebrate their driving! What kind of a message is that?!

It's a travesty that Formula 1 podium ceremonies should be subverted into pop culture celebrations extolling the virtues of drinking and driving. Champagne on the podium is a slippery slope to handing out fine cigars to the winners and replacing that crap music with Pussytown.

And my bullshitometer exploded
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Someone wants to kill off F1, it seems... :?
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I'm against this. For example I don't drink alcohol but I really like the Martini livery on the Williams and the Smirnoff badges on the Force India. Banning alcohol advertising is really going OTT.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Ed24 wrote:Of course by the logic of this ban, telecommunications companies will be banned as part of the campaign to reduce texting/calling whilst driving. :roll:

Nah, it will be to stop people from accessing the internet to view anything F1-related that doesnt involve money to FOM

But in all seriousness though its almost as over the top as the ciggie ban. Most of the Tifosi dont smoke, never mind smoke Malboro, just because its on a Ferrari. Similarly Brazilians arnt suddenly going legless on the streets off of Martini thanks to Massa sporting their logo on his overalls. All it does is at most encourage people who already smoke or drink to try a different brand - not non drinkers or smokers to start. Several people on this very post have already confirmed the latter part to this.
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

When they came for the tobacco companies, I did not speak out, because I was not a smoker.
When they came for the alcohol companies, I did not speak out, because I was not a drinker.
When they came for the energy drinks, I did not speak out, because I thought they tasted like I was licking my own armpits.
When they came for the telecommunications companies, I did not speak out, because I communicated with smoke signals.
When they came for the banks, I did not speak out, because I only had 87 Zambian kwacha in my account.
When they came for the football clubs, I did not speak out, because I preferred to watch kabaddi.
When they came for the brothels, I did not speak out, because my genitals no longer worked.
When they came for me...

...I WAS WAITING FOR THEM WITH MY AXE.

But I was still rather annoyed to be fighting that battle on my own.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
takagi_for_the_win

Post by takagi_for_the_win »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
Simtek wrote: and... hang on a sec you're Irish and you don't intend to ever drink? :shock:

That's what happens when you join the Pioneers for a school quiz... Anyways I was never intending to drink anyway. Maybe it's just because I'm somewhat insane (see my signature) but yeah it is considerably out of character for an Irish person, although I actually do know people my age in Ireland who don't intend to drink when older either. But then again, they're just as gone in the head as I am.

Simtek, we're going to have to take this poor soul out for a night on the lash before he's too far gone :P
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

takagi_for_the_win wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:

Simtek, we're going to have to take this poor soul out for a night on the lash before he's too far gone :P

Or we can trade nationalities...I've always wanted to be Irish. Feck, shillelagh and all the rest.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:I'm a tad young to be drinking (I never intend to drink in my life anyway)

I used to say the same thing, and now look at me.
Bobby Doorknobs

Mexicola wrote:
Frogfoot9013 wrote:I'm a tad young to be drinking (I never intend to drink in my life anyway)

That makes two of us. ;)
#FreeGonzo
f1andrea

Post by f1andrea »

stupid ban :oops:
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Simtek wrote:
Mexicola wrote:

That makes two of us. ;)

Don't know, i drinked a lot more when i was a teenager. I guess the fact that i drink less is because i'm a responsible driver when i have other passengers around. When going to gigs, i am usually 'the one with the car'. Also because i'm a bad sleeper, staying the night somewhere is not an option for me, so i need to be sober so i can drive home.
But then of course, i come from a country where the type of beer you order says a lot about your personality. To us, the prestige is not about the amount you drink, but about drinking rare and obscure beers. Kind of like how an F1 rejects bar would look like, but more snobbish. Also, i never heared of anybody to stop drinking Chimay because the Chimay circuit is awful. It has absolutely no influence on the sales of that beer.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/cancer%20list.htm

The complete list of things that give you cancer (according to epidemiologists)

Acetaldehyde, acrylamide, acrylonitril, abortion, agent orange, alar, alcohol, air pollution, aldrin, alfatoxin, arsenic, arsine, asbestos, asphalt fumes, atrazine, AZT, baby food, barbequed meat, benzene, benzidine, benzopyrene, beryllium, beta-carotene, betel nuts, birth control pills, bottled water, bracken, bread, breasts, brooms, bus stations, calcium channel blockers, cadmium, candles, captan, carbon black, carbon tetrachloride, careers for women, casual sex, car fumes, celery, charred foods, cooked foods, chewing gum, Chinese food, Chinese herbal supplements, chips, chloramphenicol, chlordane, chlorinated camphene, chlorinated water, chlorodiphenyl, chloroform, cholesterol, low cholesterol, chromium, coal tar, coffee, coke ovens, crackers, creosote, cyclamates, dairy products, deodorants, depleted uranium, depression, dichloryacetylene, DDT, dieldrin, diesel exhaust, diet soda, dimethyl sulphate, dinitrotouluene, dioxin, dioxane, epichlorhydrin, ethyle acrilate, ethylene, ethilene dibromide, ethnic beliefs,ethylene dichloride, Ex-Lax, fat, fluoridation, flying, formaldehyde, free radicals, french fries, fruit, gasoline, genes, gingerbread, global warming, gluteraldehyde, granite, grilled meat, Gulf war, hair dyes, hamburgers, heliobacter pylori, hepatitis B virus, hexachlorbutadiene, hexachlorethane, high bone mass, hot tea, HPMA, HRT, hydrazine, hydrogen peroxide, incense, infertility, jewellery, Kepone, kissing, lack of exercise, laxatives, lead, left handedness, Lindane, Listerine, low fibre diet, magnetic fields, malonaldehyde, mammograms, manganese, marijuana, methyl bromide, methylene chloride, menopause, microwave ovens, milk hormones, mixed spices, mobile phones, MTBE, nickel, night lighting, night shifts, nitrates, not breast feeding, not having a twin, nuclear power plants, Nutrasweet, obesity, oestrogen, olestra, olive oil, orange juice, oxygenated gasoline, oyster sauce, ozone, ozone depletion, passive smoking, PCBs, peanuts, pesticides, pet birds, plastic IV bags, polio vaccine, potato crisps (chips), power lines, proteins, Prozac, PVC, radio masts, radon, railway sleepers, red meat, Roundup, saccharin, salt, sausage, selenium, semiconductor plants, shellfish, sick buildings, soy sauce, stress, strontium, styrene, sulphuric acid, sun beds, sunlight, sunscreen, talc, tetrachloroethylene, testosterone, tight bras, toast, toasters, tobacco, tooth fillings, toothpaste (with fluoride or bleach), train stations, trichloroethylene, under-arm shaving, unvented stoves, uranium, UV radiation, Vatican radio masts, vegetables, vinyl bromide, vinyl chloride, vinyl fluoride, vinyl toys, vitamins, vitreous fibres, wallpaper, weedkiller (2-4 D), welding fumes, well water, weight gain, winter, wood dust, work, x-rays.

Just trying to figure out what they'll ban next :)
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Bobby Doorknobs

MorbidelliObese wrote:http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/cancer%20list.htm

Acetaldehyde, acrylamide, acrylonitril, abortion, agent orange, alar, alcohol, air pollution, aldrin, alfatoxin, arsenic, arsine, asbestos, asphalt fumes, atrazine, AZT, baby food, barbequed meat, benzene, benzidine, benzopyrene, beryllium, beta-carotene, betel nuts, birth control pills, bottled water, bracken, bread, breasts, brooms, bus stations, calcium channel blockers, cadmium, candles, captan, carbon black, carbon tetrachloride, careers for women, casual sex, car fumes, celery, charred foods, cooked foods, chewing gum, Chinese food, Chinese herbal supplements, chips, chloramphenicol, chlordane, chlorinated camphene, chlorinated water, chlorodiphenyl, chloroform, cholesterol, low cholesterol, chromium, coal tar, coffee, coke ovens, crackers, creosote, cyclamates, dairy products, deodorants, depleted uranium, depression, dichloryacetylene, DDT, dieldrin, diesel exhaust, diet soda, dimethyl sulphate, dinitrotouluene, dioxin, dioxane, epichlorhydrin, ethyle acrilate, ethylene, ethilene dibromide, ethnic beliefs,ethylene dichloride, Ex-Lax, fat, fluoridation, flying, formaldehyde, free radicals, french fries, fruit, gasoline, genes, gingerbread, global warming, gluteraldehyde, granite, grilled meat, Gulf war, hair dyes, hamburgers, heliobacter pylori, hepatitis B virus, hexachlorbutadiene, hexachlorethane, high bone mass, hot tea, HPMA, HRT, hydrazine, hydrogen peroxide, incense, infertility, jewellery, Kepone, kissing, lack of exercise, laxatives, lead, left handedness, Lindane, Listerine, low fibre diet, magnetic fields, malonaldehyde, mammograms, manganese, marijuana, methyl bromide, methylene chloride, menopause, microwave ovens, milk hormones, mixed spices, mobile phones, MTBE, nickel, night lighting, night shifts, nitrates, not breast feeding, not having a twin, nuclear power plants, Nutrasweet, obesity, oestrogen, olestra, olive oil, orange juice, oxygenated gasoline, oyster sauce, ozone, ozone depletion, passive smoking, PCBs, peanuts, pesticides, pet birds, plastic IV bags, polio vaccine, potato crisps (chips), power lines, proteins, Prozac, PVC, radio masts, radon, railway sleepers, red meat, Roundup, saccharin, salt, sausage, selenium, semiconductor plants, shellfish, sick buildings, soy sauce, stress, strontium, styrene, sulphuric acid, sun beds, sunlight, sunscreen, talc, tetrachloroethylene, testosterone, tight bras, toast, toasters, tobacco, tooth fillings, toothpaste (with fluoride or bleach), train stations, trichloroethylene, under-arm shaving, unvented stoves, uranium, UV radiation, Vatican radio masts, vegetables, vinyl bromide, vinyl chloride, vinyl fluoride, vinyl toys, vitamins, vitreous fibres, wallpaper, weedkiller (2-4 D), welding fumes, well water, weight gain, winter, wood dust, work, x-rays.

Looks like Narain Karthikeyan gave me cancer...
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

They forgot the most common cause of cancer: 'being born between 22 june and 22 july'
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

This wrote:They forgot the most common cause of cancer: 'being born between 22 june and 22 july'

Witty, witty, witty man. :P
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

One can only hope... *sight*
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

This wrote:They forgot the most common cause of cancer: 'being born between 22 june and 22 july'

Oh shite!
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Bobby Doorknobs

roblomas52 wrote:

Oh shite!

Judging by the birthday thread at least six of us have cancer, myself included. :P
#FreeGonzo
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Daily Mail Cancer Song, by Russell Howard
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

andrew2209 wrote:

Daily Mail Cancer Song, by Russell Howard

More facts about the Daily Mail Includes a verse on the topic above
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
mario

Post by mario »

Collieafc wrote:
Ed24 wrote:Of course by the logic of this ban, telecommunications companies will be banned as part of the campaign to reduce texting/calling whilst driving. :roll:

Nah, it will be to stop people from accessing the internet to view anything F1-related that doesnt involve money to FOM

But in all seriousness though its almost as over the top as the ciggie ban. Most of the Tifosi dont smoke, never mind smoke Malboro, just because its on a Ferrari. Similarly Brazilians arnt suddenly going legless on the streets off of Martini thanks to Massa sporting their logo on his overalls. All it does is at most encourage people who already smoke or drink to try a different brand - not non drinkers or smokers to start. Several people on this very post have already confirmed the latter part to this.

I was under the impression that most advertising tends to try to work on smaller "behavioural nudges" - in other words, you do not necessarily change the behaviour of an individual in a single event, but try to use a series of small pushes to direct somebody in a particular direction without necessarily realising that they are being directed in that direction.

The historical advertising practise of Marlboro is an example of that sort of positioning - whilst no individual is likely to have started smoking purely because, for example, they once saw Marlboro advertising on a McLaren, Marlboro used the fact that they were widely pervasive throughout F1 over a number of years in the 1980's through advertising drivers, teams and tracks to normalise smoking and make it a pervasive part of the general motorsport environment.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

Beeer sponsorship on F1 cars has never encouraged me to drink beer.... now will I have Veltins, Pilsner Urquell or Beck's tomorrow night.......
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

To anyone that is rubbishing the idea that alcohol sponsorship encourages drinking:

Do you really think these corporations would be spending the millions of dollars to get this exposure if it didn't work? Sponsorship is advertising; advertising works.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

AustralianStig wrote:To anyone that is rubbishing the idea that alcohol sponsorship encourages drinking:

Do you really think these corporations would be spending the millions of dollars to get this exposure if it didn't work? Sponsorship is advertising; advertising works.

I think the reason I rubbish alcohol advertising, like most advertising, is because I don't really pay much attention to it, mainly because of my multitude of disorders (tbh ADHD is only the tip of the iceberg for me) means no ads are really aimed at me and thus I think of all ads as ineffective.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AustralianStig wrote:To anyone that is rubbishing the idea that alcohol sponsorship encourages drinking:

I still think it is in a loose connection based on daft ideas and 'studies'. And, for me, it should be rubbished. But that doesn't make the sponsorship worthless and ineffective. Sponsorship raises brand awareness and helps people decide between similar products. Seeing Camel or Smirnoff will not make you smoke or drink but if you are already going to buy cigarettes or booze it can 'help' you decide into buying that product instead. It worked for me because it was thanks to Formula 1 that I knew Fosters existed and it led me to try it. Of course I had already decided to drink a beer anyway...

I will also profit to remind EU hypocrisy of still allowing TV ads to alcoholic beverages depicting young people having fun and encouraging drinking. That is what leads people to try, not some letters in a fast car.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

DanielPT wrote:

I still think it is in a loose connection based on daft ideas and 'studies'. And, for me, it should be rubbished. But that doesn't make the sponsorship worthless and ineffective. Sponsorship raises brand awareness and helps people decide between similar products. Seeing Camel or Smirnoff will not make you smoke or drink but if you are already going to buy cigarettes or booze it can 'help' you decide into buying that product instead. It worked for me because it was thanks to Formula 1 that I knew Fosters existed and it led me to try it. Of course I had already decided to drink a beer anyway...

It's all a load of rubbish. Next they'll be banning all Jack Daniel's merchandise, covering up the spirit rack in pubs with sliding doors and ensuring that all bottles of alcohol come with a picture of a cirrhosis-affected liver.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

To be honest, alcohol and tobacco sponsorship does probably influence some stupid people. But you can protect stupid people all you want to, they will just find another way to get themselves into trouble. Just like idiots who think that you have to smoke weed when you like reggae music, people who think they have to cut their wrists when they like screamo, people who do porn because their boyfriend asks them to, people who get pregnant when they're 15 and people who believe Ole and Leo have the same amount of chocolate because they come from the same factory (whilst it is factually proven that they are slightly different, simply by measuring it)
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

So, in other words, everyone on the planet is gonna die of cancer? :P
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

the tobacco ban comes on the back of several decades of research and arguing about wheter or not smoking causes cancer, wheter it's addictive, wheter tobacco manufacturers actively engineered their products and controlled chemical makeup (enhanced addiction), and wheter supposed "light" cigarettes were a way to deceive consumers with false advertising. And it turned out all were true, giving the anti-tobacco initiatives moral high ground even before the enormous medical costs of smoking related health problems were factored in.

I don't see the same moral high ground when it comes to breweries/distilleries. It doesn't cause cancer. It's not comparably addictive if at all. As far as the mickey mouse chemical engineering goes, let's not dig too deep lest we discover that worse practises exist in food manufacturing. Cheap beer might be a rushed and dodgy product, but that's probably the worst of it.

Of course advertising leads to consumer awareness and helps boost sales. That is the point of it, but the product can be used in safe doses, without putting yourself or others in harm and is aimed strictly at adults. Contrast with tobacco which is impossible to enjoy without the side effects and is EXTREMLY habbit forming and chemically addictive.