2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
UncreativeUsername37

Re: 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

"Top 5 or 6 or whatever it is" -Rosberg about where he needs to finish
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

I hope for Rosberg's sake he doesn't go out and then Hamilton retires on the last lap or something. That'd be pretty sickening.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Paul Hayes wrote:I hope for Rosberg's sake he doesn't go out and then Hamilton retires on the last lap or something. That'd be pretty sickening.

It's a done deal now. Rosberg is slipping down the order quickly. He would need people to drop out besides Hamilton most probably.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

So, after 21 years, and a couple of management changes later, a streak is likely to come to an end...

MY CLIENTS ESTEBAN GUTIERREZ AND ADRIAN SUTIL BROKE SAUBER'S WCC POINTS STREAK IN 2014 (/Paul Heyman mode)
Last edited by Londoner on 23 Nov 2014, 14:30, edited 2 times in total.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

DanielPT wrote:
Paul Hayes wrote:I hope for Rosberg's sake he doesn't go out and then Hamilton retires on the last lap or something. That'd be pretty sickening.

It's a done deal now. Rosberg is slipping down the order quickly. He would need people to drop out besides Hamilton most probably.

True. But let's hope Williams can somehow nab the win!
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Will Hamilton jump out of the way if he's caught, do you think?

After all, he and Massa do have rather a record of running into each other.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Paul Hayes wrote:Will Hamilton jump out of the way if he's caught, do you think?

After all, he and Massa do have rather a record of running into each other.

Massa will not catch him. Even if Hamilton kept his pace like this, there is no time left unless some mistake happens.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
FMecha

Post by FMecha »

Kobayashi out :cry:

BBC's F1 As It Happened wrote:Caterham: Kamui explains he felt "a lot of vibrations" during last couple of laps and car was becoming un drivable

Lewis Hamilton's race engineer, via BBC's F1 As It Happened wrote:Lewis, Nico is not a threat now.
PSN ID: FMecha_EXE | FMecha on GT Sport
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Massive respect for Rosberg, refusing to retire the car. Poor chap.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

Looks like Mercedes got what they wanted.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Rosberg wanting to finish is a fine attitude, I guess. But it also strikes like being delusional.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

I'm gutted for Rosberg. Really gutted. Didn't deserve to loose the title like this.

And Massa with a fenomenal drive. Saw a bit of his old pre-2009 crash there. Very good stuff.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Rosberg wanting to finish the race, Massa and also RIcciardo's great drives... amazing really.

Congrats Lewis, you are a double world champ.
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:Rosberg wanting to finish is a fine attitude, I guess. But it also strikes like being delusional.

I think it was more that, in the circumstances, it was the only way in which he could reclaim at least a little bit of dignity given the way in which the race slipped away from him (going down fighting, as it were). I guess that, after that start, Rosberg had to push his car to the limits in order to try and close the gap, and sadly for him it looks like it was just that bit too much for the car to take.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Congraulations, Lewis. I applauded him when he crossed the line.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Congratulations to Hamilton. I might not like the guy, but he did have a great race. Ditto for Massa and Bottas (despite the latter's poor start).

Also congratulations to Hulkenberg and Perez for finishing 6th and 7th. Does that mean they take over McLaren, or do double points only apply to podium positions?
LolLola

Post by LolLola »

Hamilton is the double British F1 world champion, first since Sir Jackie Stewart back in 1971 :D
It's okay Rosberg, give your best next year ;)
Massa is soooo close :o
Marussia 9th with 2 points #ForzaJules :)
Sauber doesn't score a point :(
UncreativeUsername37

LolLola wrote:Massa is soooo close :o

Remember in the silly season when Massa fell down the grid to Williams? Good times.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
andrew

Post by andrew »

Dan B wrote:Congratulations to Hamilton. I might not like the guy, but he did have a great race. Ditto for Massa and Bottas (despite the latter's poor start).

Also congratulations to Hulkenberg and Perez for finishing 6th and 7th. Does that mean they take over McLaren, or do double points only apply to podium positions?

They don't as button came 5th
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

"You still suck"
Just For One Day...
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Even though I still can't really say I like him, massive respect to Hamilton. He won that title fairly.

The problem is, most of his fanbase is extremely annoying. They've already started calling Rosberg unimaginative nicknames and saying how much Lewis was better. Hamilton won because he was just that bit quicker than Rosberg. Not "despite those Germans hating our LEWIS because he's a Brit", or despite "Cheatsburg doing dirty tricks throughout the season", or despite getting "almost all Mercedes' unreliability", or being that much better because "he scored a podium when starting last!", which Rosberg also did in Russia.

In other words, yes, Lewis was the better driver this season. That doesn't make Rosberg any less good or deserving of his title chance.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

CoopsII wrote: Image
"You still suck"

This deserves to be in the Caption This thread...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

One can only imagine the on-line devastation DonTirri is causing right now, the verbal shrapnel grenade (his words) will be all over the place :lol:
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:One can only imagine the on-line devastation DonTirri is causing right now, the verbal shrapnel grenade (his words) will be all over the place :lol:

It's too early for that. He is still in a catatonic state he entered since the moment Hamilton crossed his line. You will feel his wrath though soon enough... ;)
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

I also congratulate Williams on 3rd place in the Constructors. They deserve it so much. Their car was an absolutely stunning creation. Hopefully they'll be right up there again in '15, however I honestly expect them to be less competitive again.

LukeB

Post by LukeB »

good_Ralf wrote:Image

*Unchained Melody*
Making up the numbers
LolLola

Post by LolLola »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
razta

Post by razta »

TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Hehehe. My local news reporter (WIN News) said that 'Lewis Hamilton drove away to claim the win and the title, and was by far faster than teammate Nico Rosberg' or something like that. No mention of Nico's technical problems whatsoever. He even made it kind of sound like Nico's car didn't have any problems at all. Sounds pretty biased to me :P
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
razta

Post by razta »

I was standing right next to Jo Bauer when Rosberg was 7KMH slower than Vettel.. Jo's face said it all.

He was annoyed that we didn't get to see the "FIGHT" that was expected..
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

In the post Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the McLaren-Honda made its first testing appearance. The good news is that they managed a debut very similar to what another engine manufacturer had managed in February. The bad news is that it was Renault's debut. Anyway, it's only the first time and they at least have more time to improve stuff.
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. ^^
The difference is that at least Honda are embarassing themselves in November and not February so you'd think they will have enough time to sort out their engine.
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
mario

Post by mario »

Sublime_FA11C wrote:Yeah, i was thinking the same thing. ^^
The difference is that at least Honda are embarassing themselves in November and not February so you'd think they will have enough time to sort out their engine.

Whilst it was not the most promising start to their post season testing, Honda are reportedly throwing a lot of resources at this project - there is talk that Honda has brought two different engine designs to Abu Dhabi for McLaren to test, so they will be pressing on quite hard with development.

Furthermore, Renault was also able to make fairly large gains when it came to boosting their reliability after their terrible off season, and that was with considerably more limited resources and a shorter timeframe in which to make the changes (it's still a couple of months before the pre-2015 test sessions begin in earnest). I would not be surprised if Honda can at least manage to make decent process on their reliability in the intervening months, although the outright performance of the engines remain to be seen.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
andrew

Post by andrew »

Some good news for Honda. According to Eric Boullier the issue today was a Mclaren built part, not Honda.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

andrew wrote:Some good news for Honda. According to Eric Boullier the issue today was a Mclaren built part, not Honda.

But... the MP4-29 is indestructible... :?
#FreeGonzo
andrew

Post by andrew »

Simtek wrote:
andrew wrote:Some good news for Honda. According to Eric Boullier the issue today was a Mclaren built part, not Honda.

Sorry I didnt make it clear, the issue was with the P.U but the part on the P.U was done by mclaren not Honda.

The other races the mclaren broke down in include bahrain and singapore, maybe the mp4-29 does not like that area...
UncreativeUsername37

andrew wrote:
Simtek wrote:

Sorry I didnt make it clear, the issue was with the P.U but the part on the P.U was done by mclaren not Honda.

The other races the mclaren broke down in include bahrain and singapore, maybe the mp4-29 does not like that area...

What is "that area"? Since it includes Bahrain, the UAE, and... Singapore??
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
andrew wrote:
Simtek wrote:But... the MP4-29 is indestructible... :?

That's a very well known fault with the MP4-29, it has something of an aversion to floodlights...must be all that chrome.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
andrew

Post by andrew »

Ataxia wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

That's a very well known fault with the MP4-29, it has something of an aversion to floodlights...must be all that chrome.[/quote]

Exactly..!!!!!!!! Bahrian and the U.A.E are in the same area, my Geogrpahy served me incorrectly about the whereabouts of Singapore.Maybe the MP4-29 hates hot places at night.