The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Miguel98

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by Miguel98 »

CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Penalty for Trulli, not for causing a Trulli Train but for an energy infringement.

Shouldn't we now be calling it a Trulli E-Train? ;)

Well, Dario call it that. :lol:
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Miguel98 wrote:
CoopsII wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Penalty for Trulli, not for causing a Trulli Train but for an energy infringement.

Well, Dario call it that. :lol:

TrullE-train
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

CoopsII wrote:

I thought of it more as a Trulli Tram, seeing as the cars are electric and they're racing through the streets...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Paul Hayes wrote:Just watched a recording of today's race while waiting for the F1 qualifying to start. Some thoughts...

Another entertaining race, although no battle for the lead this time, as Bird had it all wrapped-up.

I like the idea of the aeons-long warm-up lap being done-away with, and the safety care seemed to be brought in quite quickly when all was ready to go racing again, too.

Is there a Curse of the Fan Boost? Everyone who has it seems to go on to have an awful race. Poor Heidfeld, walloped out of it again through no fault of his own.

The coverage still needs some work - the director never seems to be quite on top of what's going on. I don't know if he or she simply has a smaller team working with them than in bigger series such as F1, so fewer people monitoring sources and helping to work out what to cut to when, etc.

Franchitti seemed to make an odd error, too - did he keep talking about Senna doing so well with a damaged car, when the hit with the wall actually happened with Senna's first car, before the stops?

Nicki Shields, the pit lane interviewer, might need to work on her tact when speaking to the celebs in attendance - "Apparently you're a very famous actress here in Malaysia?"

A pretty good summary there I would say - there was definitely an improvement on the graphics this time as nearly all the battery percentages were right (all bar Servia's first car, Abt's just LOOKED like it was wrong as it turned out!!) but as has been said, the timing was still getting confused with who was on what lap. And the way it updates when the lead car goes over the line is weird - it then shows everyone else as a lap down! Demented.

TV coverage wasn't great on replays. Some got shown, others sadly didn't such as Brabham and Senna tangling, and Tung going off. I did like the fact that when the Fan Boost was activated, we went pretty much straight to that car. Except for when Legge used it, but then frankly who would have cared?

Nicki Shields needs to be replaced by someone intelligent. 'Was there much damage?' she asks Bruno Senna. Well, what do you think love - presumably you have seen the footage?

Very pleased that Sam Bird won. The Virgin Racing boys have the best livery I reckon. Di Grassi did well again. Buemi looked a bit miserable considering his good drive though, didn't he?
Waris

Post by Waris »

Simtek wrote:
Salamander wrote:
dr-baker wrote:It's occurred to me that Nick Heidfeld could probably have been in the top-3 of the championship at this stage if he had not been taken out of each race. If he becomes a title challenger, I hope these races don't decide the outcome...

In a 9-race season? Of course they will.

I say bring back dropped scores solely to improve Nick's chances! :)

Um, they actually have dropped scores.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/results/driver-standings.aspx wrote:A driver's end of season total is made up of his/her best results less one.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Nice race. Really way better than almost all races of F1 in this year. Bird made everyone look silly.

ROTR: Bruno Senna. Lose a great 4th place (he even overtaken Prost!) with a crash in the last lap.

Special mention:

-Legge: Emulate what Vettel did with Button in 2010 Belgian Grand Prix.
-F1 seniors luck: Two retirements in two races for Heidfeld and Trulli.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 24 Nov 2014, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:-Piquet Jr: clumsy attempt to overtake Trulli in the first corner.

What. Trulli came across on Piquet when Piquet was alongside, in the braking zone, next to a wall. Trulli was the one completely in the wrong there.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote: Except for when Legge used it, but then frankly who would have cared?

Hello! At least one person on this forum voted for her. Guess who? ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

Dj_bereta wrote:Nice race. Really way better than almost all races of F1 in this year. Bird made everyone look silly.

ROTR: Bruno Senna. Lose a great 4th place (he even overtaken Prost!) with a crash in the last lap.

Special mention:

-Piquet Jr: clumsy attempt to overtake Trulli in the first corner.
-Legge: Emulate what Vettel did with Button in 2010 Belgian Grand Prix.
-F1 seniors luck: Two retirements in two races for Heidfeld and Trulli.

Are you blind!!??? Trulli tired to drive Piquet through the wall.

Nick Heidfeld must seriously hate the French.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

From what I saw from the coverage, looked like Piquet Jr. did something crazy, but if you are saying Trulli pushed him into the wall, I'm going to remove the mention.
Last edited by Dj_bereta on 24 Nov 2014, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Another excellent Formula E race, even better than Beijing. The track helped I think, as it didn't have been long straights. The coverage was definitely better with the added telemetry and it was good to see fan boost actually used.

How Sam Bird destroyed everyone the way he did I'll never know as all the other cars looked so equal. Alguersuari was nowhere so it can't have been a Virgin Racing thing. ROTR to Andretti Autosport with Brabham looking exactly like a debutant with all his spins and Montagny's passing moves not quite working out smoothly this time.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Yeah, Brabham was way out of his depth. I think it might be pertinent for the organisers to come up with something similar to the F1 superlicence. If the series is to maintain an image of being the pinnacle of electric racing, and a high-level sophisticated racing series, then they need to make sure the drivers in it are up to scratch. Someone straight out of an average year in a small Indy Lights field isn't really the level they should be aiming for.

As for the race though, I thought it was decent. Was good enough to keep me awake having got up at 5am, and as others have said, a really impressive drive from Sam Bird. Still a few issues to be ironed out, but it's getting there. I'm confident that by the time London comes around there'll be enough of a buzz to generate plenty of interest. That will help if Bird can keep up the momentum and have someone from Britain in the title race.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, Brabham was way out of his depth. I think it might be pertinent for the organisers to come up with something similar to the F1 superlicence. If the series is to maintain an image of being the pinnacle of electric racing, and a high-level sophisticated racing series, then they need to make sure the drivers in it are up to scratch. Someone straight out of an average year in a small Indy Lights field isn't really the level they should be aiming for.

As for the race though, I thought it was decent. Was good enough to keep me awake having got up at 5am, and as others have said, a really impressive drive from Sam Bird. Still a few issues to be ironed out, but it's getting there. I'm confident that by the time London comes around there'll be enough of a buzz to generate plenty of interest. That will help if Bird can keep up the momentum and have someone from Britain in the title race.

Preparing my "BIRD IS THE WORD" banner already.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

watka wrote:Another excellent Formula E race, even better than Beijing. The track helped I think, as it didn't have been long straights. The coverage was definitely better with the added telemetry and it was good to see fan boost actually used.

How Sam Bird destroyed everyone the way he did I'll never know as all the other cars looked so equal. Alguersuari was nowhere so it can't have been a Virgin Racing thing. ROTR to Andretti Autosport with Brabham looking exactly like a debutant with all his spins and Montagny's passing moves not quite working out smoothly this time.

Alguersuari did get fastest lap, so I do think Virgin could be one of the faster teams.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AndreaModa wrote:Yeah, Brabham was way out of his depth. I think it might be pertinent for the organisers to come up with something similar to the F1 superlicence. If the series is to maintain an image of being the pinnacle of electric racing, and a high-level sophisticated racing series, then they need to make sure the drivers in it are up to scratch. Someone straight out of an average year in a small Indy Lights field isn't really the level they should be aiming for.

You are being awfully harsh. I mean, there are people who had atrocious debut races in F1 and turned out alright. Heikki Kovalainen being the first name to spring to my mind, David Coulthard is another. If Brabham gets a second shot, then we can see whether he really is not ready to electrify (geddit?) the people.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

The other thing I forgot to mention in my thoughts earlier is how odd it seemed to see autumn leaves scattered across some of the corners of a race track. I don't ever remember seeing that in F1, for example.

Presumably not regarded as hazardous in any way as the cars would pretty easily scatter them before they could get under any wheels or into any ducts?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Paul Hayes wrote:The other thing I forgot to mention in my thoughts earlier is how odd it seemed to see autumn leaves scattered across some of the corners of a race track. I don't ever remember seeing that in F1, for example.

Presumably not regarded as hazardous in any way as the cars would pretty easily scatter them before they could get under any wheels or into any ducts?

I didn't notice that, but might be like marbles at the side of the track. I can just imagine drivers using them as an excuse now: "I was delayed by the wrong kind of leaves on the track..."
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Paul Hayes wrote:The other thing I forgot to mention in my thoughts earlier is how odd it seemed to see autumn leaves scattered across some of the corners of a race track. I don't ever remember seeing that in F1, for example.

I'm sure I've seen them being blown about the track at Monza park in the Autumn and round Melbourne in the spring.
Just For One Day...
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Great race and impressive drive from Bird, seems to be destroying Alguersuari at the minute, might just be a case of his driving style being suited to the car and types of circuits being raced on (apparently he had a good street circuit record in GP2).

I have absolutely nothing against Heidfeld or Senna, but delighted that again the fan boost had no real bearing on the final results.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

MorbidelliObese wrote:but delighted that again the fan boost had no real bearing on the final results.

I find it slightly strange that so far, they have yet to say just how many votes altogether any of the drivers received for the Fan Boost. Is it embarrassingly low or something?
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

CoopsII wrote:

I'm sure I've seen them being blown about the track at Monza park in the Autumn and round Melbourne in the spring.

And I think when Montreal was briefly hosting F1 races in October you used to see it there too.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Heidfeld is slightly angry (and bored) with Montagny:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116934
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Dj_bereta wrote:Heidfeld is slightly angry (and bored) with Montagny:

Well it's perfectly understandable. Nick is slightly boring, whereas Franck is slightly crazy. Opposites do attract, as demonstrated in Putrajaya.
#FreeGonzo
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

CoopsII wrote:

Because we live on the wrong side of the earth, we have opposite seasons, so it was autumn for Melbourne too :D
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Thanks for the replies about the leaves - obviously they are occasionally seen in F1, and I'm just not very observant!
midgrid

Post by midgrid »

"One day Bruno told me that he had heard the engine momentarily making a strange sound; his suspicion was that all the cylinders had been operating."
--Nigel Roebuck
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Dj_bereta wrote:Heidfeld is slightly angry (and bored) with Montagny:

Montagny pulled a similar move on Pic in the first race, he's quite prone to throwing himself down the inside of cars and pushing them wide.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Lovely picture, thank you!
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Vergne has some kind of future in single-seater racing. That's good :mrgreen:
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

good_Ralf wrote:Vergne has some kind of future in single-seater racing. That's good :mrgreen:

I wonder if a drive here might possibly open doors at IndyCar in the future?
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

It could be an evaluation run to see if he could take over Hinch's IndyCar seat - although, that seat is also lacking a sponsor...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

good_Ralf wrote:Vergne has some kind of future in single-seater racing. That's good :mrgreen:

He also needs to show his middle finger to Red Bull as well.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Battersea local residents have given their approval to the FE race in their local park. It now just needs planning permission (to be issued in February) and the London round will then be confirmed! That is a positive vote against NIMBYism!
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Top banana.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, especially with the future of the parent site hanging in the balance: who plans to go to the race, and should we have a Formula One Rejects meet-up (or whatever becomes of F1 Rejects in the future)?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dinizintheoven wrote:Top banana.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, especially with the future of the parent site hanging in the balance: who plans to go to the race, and should we have a Formula One Rejects meet-up (or whatever becomes of F1 Rejects in the future)?

I definitely plan to go, finances permitting. Definite decision will be made by Easter.
MCard LOLA
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

dr-baker wrote:

I definitely plan to go, finances permitting. Definite decision will be made by Easter.

Depending on when I return to Belgium for the holidays, I may or may not go. If my parents pick me up after the weekend, I'm definitely going :)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I think I'd be well up for that!
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

I would be interested, unfortunately it would be unwise to go to the London race instead of the slightly more accessable Berlin race. Of course, anyone heading there is cool with me.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

By my reckoning, the drivers currently first and second in the championship are also the tallest (di Grassi) and shortest (Bird) drivers on the grid.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?