Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ponderbox

Post by watka »

Obviously we'd all love to see BUT GRO PER in line on the track.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

watka wrote:Obviously we'd all love to see BUT GRO PER in line on the track.

We'll still have GRO PER BOT to look forward to....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

If only Desmond Titterington had a grandson in racing...?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Biscione wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

If only Desmond Titterington had a grandson in racing...?

Then we could titter at the 3-letter abbreviation! ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Why has the most recent Word Association thread been locked after just a few hours and 12 posts with no explanation provided? I don't particularly mind, so long as a reason is given in-thread to explain why that action has been taken
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:Why has the most recent Word Association thread been locked after just a few hours and 12 posts with no explanation provided? I don't particularly mind, so long as a reason is given in-thread to explain why that action has been taken

If it has anything to do with me basically highjacking the thread for the first few replies then I'm sorry, it won't happen again. :oops:
#FreeGonzo
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:Why has the most recent Word Association thread been locked after just a few hours and 12 posts with no explanation provided? I don't particularly mind, so long as a reason is given in-thread to explain why that action has been taken

The answer you are looking for lies in the past. Look past the surface and deep inside the forum's heart and will succeed in your quest.

Or you can just wait for a mod to answer you...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Simtek wrote:

If it has anything to do with me basically highjacking the thread for the first few replies then I'm sorry, it won't happen again. :oops:

I thought it may have been my stuffed aubergine response but at this rate, it may not have been.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:

The answer you are looking for lies in the past. Look past the surface and deep inside the forum's heart and will succeed in your quest.

Or you can just wait for a mod to answer you...

I thought there may have been something but I did search "Word Association" and "Word Association thread" before opening the thread and got nothing (terms were too common). And without remembering for certain anything that was agreed, I went ahead with the thread. But a reminder would be nice. And an easy-to-find reminder in the "Unofficially Official Rules of Conduct" thread would be appropriate for future reference?
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:I thought there may have been something but I did search "Word Association" and "Word Association thread" before opening the thread and got nothing (terms were too common). And without remembering for certain anything that was agreed, I went ahead with the thread. But a reminder would be nice. And an easy-to-find reminder in the "Unofficially Official Rules of Conduct" thread would be appropriate for future reference?

Read these rules from the last time. Also, remember that it is a highly controversial thread that basically originated a lot of heated discussions back in the day.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I thought there may have been something but I did search "Word Association" and "Word Association thread" before opening the thread and got nothing (terms were too common). And without remembering for certain anything that was agreed, I went ahead with the thread. But a reminder would be nice. And an easy-to-find reminder in the "Unofficially Official Rules of Conduct" thread would be appropriate for future reference?

Read these rules from the last time. Also, remember that it is a highly controversial thread that basically originated a lot of heated discussions back in the day.

Ah yes, of course. For some reason, I looked at the end of that thread yesterday, but not the beginning. Is it possible that those rules could be posted at the start of the new thread, and therefore be allowed to continue?

I remembered there was a bit of controversy, and it wasn't everyone's cuppa tea, but that'll teach me to only look at one end of a thread!
MCard LOLA
noiceinmydrink

Post by noiceinmydrink »

I had no idea a word association thread could cause so much controversy.

F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Will any Formula 1 driver of merit every come directly out of Indycar again?

Out of the last three I can remember [Bourdais, Da Matta, Montoya] only Montoya made a splash. Perhaps Da Matta never got a fair shake at an F1 career because the Toyotas were so terrible, but Bourdais was stomped by his teammate in 2008, and showed virtually no improvement in the following season.

Looking at the Indycar grid from last year and this upcoming season, it reads like a list of F1 washouts and drivers who never made it that far. If it ever happens it could be years before we even see a possibility.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Bleu

Post by Bleu »

F1000X wrote:Will any Formula 1 driver of merit every come directly out of Indycar again?

Out of the last three I can remember [Bourdais, Da Matta, Montoya] only Montoya made a splash. Perhaps Da Matta never got a fair shake at an F1 career because the Toyotas were so terrible, but Bourdais was stomped by his teammate in 2008, and showed virtually no improvement in the following season.

Looking at the Indycar grid from last year and this upcoming season, it reads like a list of F1 washouts and drivers who never made it that far. If it ever happens it could be years before we even see a possibility.

I think the most likely situation is if there is North American (preferably US) driver who will take the IndyCar title at the very young age.
UncreativeUsername37

F1000X wrote:Looking at the Indycar grid from last year and this upcoming season, it reads like a list of F1 washouts and drivers who never made it that far. If it ever happens it could be years before we even see a possibility.

IndyCar: Formula E for chumps.™
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Even since his ChampCar days, I always thought Ryan Hunter-Ray would be a fascinating choice to do the cross-over to F1.
MCard LOLA
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

dr-baker wrote:Even since his ChampCar days, I always thought Ryan Hunter-Ray would be a fascinating choice to do the cross-over to F1.

Right after the 2012 season was probably his best and only chance, but he even turned down an offer to drive for Penske and stayed at Andretti Autosport. I don't believe he's ever even driven an F1 car.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

F1000X wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Even since his ChampCar days, I always thought Ryan Hunter-Ray would be a fascinating choice to do the cross-over to F1.

Right after the 2012 season was probably his best and only chance, but he even turned down an offer to drive for Penske and stayed at Andretti Autosport. I don't believe he's ever even driven an F1 car.

True, I agree now would probably be too late. But after ChampCar merged with IndyCar, that may have been an interesting time to jump over. Not that it worked for Bourdais mind you... :?

EDIT: He's less than a year older than Andre Lotterer (Dec 1980 v. Nov 1981 respectively), and Andre did not disgrace himself... But long-term career options in F1 are not great, particularly if you consider the position Jenson is in (born Jan 1980). And even Alonso was born in July 1981...
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

From now on, it's pretty safe to say Hunter-Reay is 100% focused on IndyCar. He struggled for ages to get in competitive team and actually show how good he was - now that Andretti gave him that chance, and practically the whole team is built around him at this point, I doubt he'd want to give it up for anything less than an equal position if he were to move to another series. Which just isn't going to happen.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Does anyone know what happened to Gustav Brunner? He spent most of the 1990s designing fantastic cars on a tiny budget for Minardi (although they were always let down by the awful engines Minardi had to suffer with). Toyota poach him during the 2001 season, he designs uninspiring cars on a massive budget, and he seems to have disappeared off the radar entirely by about 2004.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
UncreativeUsername37

East Londoner wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Gustav Brunner? He spent most of the 1990s designing fantastic cars on a tiny budget for Minardi (although they were always let down by the awful engines Minardi had to suffer with). Toyota poach him during the 2001 season, he designs uninspiring cars on a massive budget, and he seems to have disappeared off the radar entirely by about 2004.

1996 at Minardi? Perhaps he caught Fisichellitis? I don't know about the other mystery in your initial question, though.
mario

Post by mario »

East Londoner wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Gustav Brunner? He spent most of the 1990s designing fantastic cars on a tiny budget for Minardi (although they were always let down by the awful engines Minardi had to suffer with). Toyota poach him during the 2001 season, he designs uninspiring cars on a massive budget, and he seems to have disappeared off the radar entirely by about 2004.

There seems to have been a good reason why he might have wanted to disappear off the radar around that time, and why Toyota were happy for that to happen.

Firstly, he was in a legal fight with Toyota over his severance package that was messy enough in its own right: however, that was complicated by the fact that he was also drawn into a legal fight between Toyota and Ferrari. You might recall that, a few years ago, Toyota were accused of knowingly using software modelling programs brought to them by two ex-Ferrari employees? Brunner was one of the men against whom a complaint was brought by Ferrari, as he was accused of condoning the use of that software.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

mario wrote:

There seems to have been a good reason why he might have wanted to disappear off the radar around that time, and why Toyota were happy for that to happen.

Firstly, he was in a legal fight with Toyota over his severance package that was messy enough in its own right: however, that was complicated by the fact that he was also drawn into a legal fight between Toyota and Ferrari. You might recall that, a few years ago, Toyota were accused of knowingly using software modelling programs brought to them by two ex-Ferrari employees? Brunner was one of the men against whom a complaint was brought by Ferrari, as he was accused of condoning the use of that software.

Spygate: the prequel.....
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I think it'd be nice for someone to start a tribute thread to Enoch on the HWNSNBM. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do it seeing as I haven't been on this website nearly long enough.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Rob Dylan wrote:I think it'd be nice for someone to start a tribute thread to Enoch on the HWNSNBM. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do it seeing as I haven't been on this website nearly long enough.

maybe, and i thought about PM-ing him to say thanks for what he's done for the website/forum but he's made it clear that he doesn't want to discuss anything so the best thing would to probably respect that and leave him be.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
UncreativeUsername37

AdrianSutil wrote:
Rob Dylan wrote:I think it'd be nice for someone to start a tribute thread to Enoch on the HWNSNBM. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do it seeing as I haven't been on this website nearly long enough.

maybe, and i thought about PM-ing him to say thanks for what he's done for the website/forum but he's made it clear that he doesn't want to discuss anything so the best thing would to probably respect that and leave him be.

I agree that that would explicitly go against the "don't talk about it" request.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

OK that's fair
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I hate when Pastor is giving more hate than he should. Dude isn't horrible and has won a race and beasted when the car was good.

I was reading the Lotus reviews around the F1 sites and geez Keith, give Pastor Maldonado some respect.

One of half of the grid that has won a race.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Aguaman wrote:I hate when Pastor is giving more hate than he should. Dude isn't horrible and has won a race and beasted when the car was good.

I was reading the Lotus reviews around the F1 sites and geez Keith, give Pastor Maldonado some respect.

I like to think of him as having the opposite of Fisichellitis. When the car is on song, so is he, but when the car isn't performing, he's usually dogshite.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

FullMetalJack wrote:
Aguaman wrote:I hate when Pastor is giving more hate than he should. Dude isn't horrible and has won a race and beasted when the car was good.

I like to think of him as having the opposite of Fisichellitis. When the car is on song, so is he, but when the car isn't performing, he's usually dogshite.

Most drivers are tbqh. Fisichellitis is a rare condition.

Still I dislike it if any driver is given stick for being 'terrible' regardless. Other sports I don't mind but I see it worse in F1. Or maybe the sites I read are by pretentious guys.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Yeah, he won a race two seasons ago. And since then.......what? He's been poor, accident prone and off the pace. He's probably a nice guy but so are most of them.
Just For One Day...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

CoopsII wrote:

Yeah, he won a race two seasons ago. And since then.......what? He's been poor, accident prone and off the pace. He's probably a nice guy but so are most of them.

He hasn't crashed since FP2 in Singapore, he beat Vergne to 9th at Austin, and has shown up Grosjean on occasion. Sure, he isn't the best driver, but he's better than most give him credit for.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Salamander wrote:He hasn't crashed since FP2 in Singapore.

:lol: "No Crashes For Five Race Weekends!" He should stick that on his overalls.
Just For One Day...
Sublime_FA11C

Post by Sublime_FA11C »

Perez and Magnussen could well be "crasher of the year" nominees, but such is Maldonado's reputation for agressive driving and throwing it in the wall that he ends up being the default nominee and others just have to try and fail that little bit harder. He's been pretty calm and humble all year, though he did rack up a tally of driver errors.

At least he gave Gutierrez a memorable moment in F1. ;)
Leyton House wrote:Sauber - found out painting your car like an HRT will make it go like one.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Salamander wrote:
CoopsII wrote:

He hasn't crashed since FP2 in Singapore, he beat Vergne to 9th at Austin, and has shown up Grosjean on occasion. Sure, he isn't the best driver, but he's better than most give him credit for.

To give him credit too, he didn't spin off under the safety car like Grosjean did.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Don't get me wrong, I blummin love a bit of Pastor, but he is what he is.
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Not F1, but... I used to love the A1GP series, and was following news of a resurrection keenly, anticipating that any replacement series would equally win my heart. But now, I could hardly tell you anything about the Formula Acceleration series that is the spiritual successor to the series. I could not tell you how many countries were entered, which drivers were racing, or how many races/rounds there were (although I think that there is no British round?). No, the series that has replaced A1GP in my heart is Formula E, which is a bit surprising as I cannot imagine buying an electric car any time soon.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:Not F1, but... I used to love the A1GP series, and was following news of a resurrection keenly, anticipating that any replacement series would equally win my heart. But now, I could hardly tell you anything about the Formula Acceleration series that is the spiritual successor to the series. I could not tell you how many countries were entered, which drivers were racing, or how many races/rounds there were (although I think that there is no British round?). No, the series that has replaced A1GP in my heart is Formula E, which is a bit surprising as I cannot imagine buying an electric car any time soon.

I completely forgot Formula Acceleration 1 even existed. :|
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Not F1, but... I used to love the A1GP series, and was following news of a resurrection keenly, anticipating that any replacement series would equally win my heart. But now, I could hardly tell you anything about the Formula Acceleration series that is the spiritual successor to the series. I could not tell you how many countries were entered, which drivers were racing, or how many races/rounds there were (although I think that there is no British round?). No, the series that has replaced A1GP in my heart is Formula E, which is a bit surprising as I cannot imagine buying an electric car any time soon.

I completely forgot Formula Acceleration 1 even existed. :|

My point exactly! The rounds seem so few and far between that when Autosport (the print edition) write a couple of hundred words on each round, I have absolutely no recollection on previous round. And does anybody know anything about any of the support series?!
MCard LOLA
UncreativeUsername37

dr-baker wrote:
Simtek wrote:I completely forgot Formula Acceleration 1 even existed. :|

My point exactly! The rounds seem so few and far between that when Autosport (the print edition) write a couple of hundred words on each round, I have absolutely no recollection on previous round. And does anybody know anything about any of the support series?!

Like how it's part of the whole Acceleration Festival thing or whatever it's called? It goes to show that just like drivers, series can be anonymous.