The Junior Series Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Backmarker

Re: The Junior Series Thread

Post by Backmarker »

East Londoner wrote:Dino Zamparelli isn't returning to GP3 in 2015 - he's instead racing in the worst BTCC support series. The Carerra Cup is such an insipid series. :|

Zamparelli was always a little on the insipid side himself, so I would say it's the perfect match.

Good opportunity at ART in GP3 for someone.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

Backmarker wrote:
East Londoner wrote:Dino Zamparelli isn't returning to GP3 in 2015 - he's instead racing in the worst BTCC support series. The Carerra Cup is such an insipid series. :|

Zamparelli was always a little on the insipid side himself, so I would say it's the perfect match.

Good opportunity at ART in GP3 for someone.

To be honest though, he wasn't good enough for a third season in GP3
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Alfonso Celis, Jnr. will race for ART on GP3 this year.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Captain Hammer wrote:Alfonso Celis, Jnr. will race for ART on GP3 this year.

I don't think anybody's reaction can be anything more than "oh".
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

The new Verstappen?

The guy also topped four out of the six post-season test sessions he participated in, I think.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

...so how long will it be until we get our first F1 driver born in a year starting with a 2?

2018 isn't all that far away now...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

dinizintheoven wrote:...so how long will it be until we get our first F1 driver born in a year starting with a 2?

Considering that I was born in 2000, I'm gonna feel very old once a driver born in 2000 or later gets a shot at F1.
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
dinizintheoven wrote:...so how long will it be until we get our first F1 driver born in a year starting with a 2?

Considering that I was born in 2000, I'm gonna feel very old once a driver born in 2000 or later gets a shot at F1.

Just wait until there's a four-time world champion younger than you... There's even been a Doctor Who younger than me! (Although the current doctor is old enough to be my dad. Phew.)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Ataxia wrote:

Mine was more of an "eh?".
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Captain Hammer wrote:
Ataxia wrote:

And I went, "Who?"
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

dr-baker wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:
Ataxia wrote:I don't think anybody's reaction can be anything more than "oh".

And I went, "Who?"

And then when you realised who he was, you went "hoo!".
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

The Indian Max Verstappen will be in Formula Renault NEC for 2016! He's had a decent time in karts, so it will be interesting to see him step up to open wheel formulae.
The Iceman Waiteth
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

Backmarker wrote:The Indian Max Verstappen will be in Formula Renault NEC for 2016! He's had a decent time in karts, so it will be interesting to see him step up to open wheel formulae.

Well, I don't think there's ever been a karter from India with as good a record as he's got. The fact that he's backed by Force India makes it better. He was beaten to the 'One From A Billion' Talent Hunt three years ago by Arjun Maini, who finished runner-up to George Russell in BRDC F4 this year, but his karting results are actually stronger.
eytl wrote:I agree. Especially when he talks about one's nerves sending signals 111a and 6783 etc. to the brain upon seeing Ericsson's hairdo.

He's got it all wrong. When I see Ericsson and Chilton's hairdos, the only signal going to my brain is 1049.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

wsrgo wrote:
Backmarker wrote:The Indian Max Verstappen will be in Formula Renault NEC for 2016! He's had a decent time in karts, so it will be interesting to see him step up to open wheel formulae.

Well, I don't think there's ever been a karter from India with as good a record as he's got. The fact that he's backed by Force India makes it better. He was beaten to the 'One From A Billion' Talent Hunt three years ago by Arjun Maini, who finished runner-up to George Russell in BRDC F4 this year, but his karting results are actually stronger.

Yeah, but Maini was only just beaten by Russell this year because IIRC, it went to the final round of the year.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Glad to see ART wasting that seat, and luca Ghiotto pole sitter at spa will race for Trident
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

roblomas52 wrote:
wsrgo wrote:

Yeah, but Maini was only just beaten by Russell this year because IIRC, it went to the final round of the year.

Yes true, and it was a bit of a surprise, as Russell has a brilliant karting record. I definitely did not expect two BRDC rookies to beat all the sophomores and more experienced drivers.

Furthermore, Charles Leclerc, who was runner-up to De Vries in Alps in his rookie car season in 2014, has signed for van Amersfoort in FIA F3, with the aforementioned Italian Max Verstappen (Alessio Lorandi) expected to join him. http://www.paddockscout.com/monegasque-prodigy-leclerc-secures-fia-f3-seat-with-van-amersfoort/

Also, Marco Sorensen will be doing GP2 next year, but it's not yet been confirmed which team he'll drive for.

Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Toyota Racing Series preview. The Toyota Racing Series used to be a largely domestic New Zealand series, but nowadays its being in the middle of the winter means that it's being used by drivers from the major European series as preparation.

One of the drivers worth watching for is Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard Habsburg-Lothringen, whose father would be the Austro-Hungarian Emperor if it wasn't for that pesky First World War.
The Iceman Waiteth
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Backmarker wrote:Toyota Racing Series preview. The Toyota Racing Series used to be a largely domestic New Zealand series, but nowadays its being in the middle of the winter means that it's being used by drivers from the major European series as preparation.

One of the drivers worth watching for is Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard Habsburg-Lothringen, whose father would be the Austro-Hungarian Emperor if it wasn't for that pesky First World War.

He hasn't got as many names as the ambitious Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, Marquis of Portago. He does however, have more names than almost-champion Wolfgang Alexander Albert Eduard Maximilian Reichsgraf Berghe von Trips and the great Jonkheer Karel Pieter Antoni Jan Hubertus Godin de Beaufort, so he's got that going for him.

If he were to make it to F1, that would make him the first aristocratic driver since Dumfries, right?
#FreeGonzo
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Simtek wrote:If he were to make it to F1, that would make him the first aristocratic driver since Dumfries, right?

Giovanni Lavaggi's family were (when Italy had such things) counts in Sicily, and I think Giovanni Lavaggi would be a count himself.
The Iceman Waiteth
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Simtek wrote:
Backmarker wrote:Toyota Racing Series preview. The Toyota Racing Series used to be a largely domestic New Zealand series, but nowadays its being in the middle of the winter means that it's being used by drivers from the major European series as preparation.

He hasn't got as many names as the ambitious Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, Marquis of Portago. He does however, have more names than almost-champion Wolfgang Alexander Albert Eduard Maximilian Reichsgraf Berghe von Trips and the great Jonkheer Karel Pieter Antoni Jan Hubertus Godin de Beaufort, so he's got that going for him.

If he were to make it to F1, that would make him the first aristocratic driver since Dumfries, right?

Speaking of aristocratic racing drivers, the 2010 ADAC GT Masters Champion Albert Maria Lamoral Miguel Johannes Gabriel Prinz von Thurn und Taxis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert,_12 ... _and_Taxis
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

roblomas52 wrote:Speaking of aristocratic racing drivers, the 2010 ADAC GT Masters Champion Albert Maria Lamoral Miguel Johannes Gabriel Prinz von Thurn und Taxis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert,_12 ... _and_Taxis

Who should really be competing in cab racing, with a name like that.
The Iceman Waiteth
wsrgo

Post by wsrgo »

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I don't quite understand your sentence. The first race of the 2015 season was a week earlier in Buenos Aires, hosting Formula E, which was won by Super Aguri!
MCard LOLA
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Carlin are returning to FR3.5. And in news that will make a certain member of this forum very happy indeed, they've signed Tom Dillmann. :)

They also appear to have signed an Indonesian stooge in the other seat. I guess the reasoning for this choice is L-O-D-S-O-F-E-M-O-N-E, as Harry Enfield would say. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

East Londoner wrote:Carlin are returning to FR3.5. And in news that will make a certain member of this forum very happy indeed, they've signed Tom Dillmann. :)

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Raffaele Marciello will race for Trident in 2015:

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/ ... t-for-2015

On the face of it, it's an odd move, but look at who was racing for the team in 2014 - Johnny Cecotto, Jr.

I know that's an odd comparison to make, seeing as how Marciello is point man for Ferrari's young driver programme and Cecotto has a reputation as an idiot, but look at Cecotto's 2014 season. Whereas previously he tended to treat the idea of sportsmanship as an Achilles heel to be exploited, he didn't have a single (to quote Will Buxton) "Oh, Johnny!" moment in 2014. Ever since joining Trident, Cecotto morphed into a more refined, more disciplined driver. Perhaps not Formula 1 material, but team principal Maurizio Salvadori is credited with having turned him around. Given that Ferrari were extremely critical of Marciello for rookie mistakes at times (most notably in Hungary), moving to Trident might be a blessing in disguise.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Captain Hammer wrote:Raffaele Marciello will race for Trident in 2015:

On the face of it, it's an odd move, but look at who was racing for the team in 2014 - Johnny Cecotto, Jr.

I know that's an odd comparison to make, seeing as how Marciello is point man for Ferrari's young driver programme and Cecotto has a reputation as an idiot, but look at Cecotto's 2014 season. Whereas previously he tended to treat the idea of sportsmanship as an Achilles heel to be exploited, he didn't have a single (to quote Will Buxton) "Oh, Johnny!" moment in 2014. Ever since joining Trident, Cecotto morphed into a more refined, more disciplined driver. Perhaps not Formula 1 material, but team principal Maurizio Salvadori is credited with having turned him around. Given that Ferrari were extremely critical of Marciello for rookie mistakes at times (most notably in Hungary), moving to Trident might be a blessing in disguise.

This is true, Cecotto's turn around last year was very welcome and quite a relief, but we still should remember that despite this, his teammate Sergio Canamasas went and famously "Playstationed" the Ascari Chicane at Monza, caused some rather silly crashes as a result, and earned himself a disqualification for his troubles.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Not everyone can be polished into a diamond. Sometimes a lump of coal is a lump of coal.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Salamander wrote:
Captain Hammer wrote:Raffaele Marciello will race for Trident in 2015:

This is true, Cecotto's turn around last year was very welcome and quite a relief, but we still should remember that despite this, his teammate Sergio Canamasas went and famously "Playstationed" the Ascari Chicane at Monza, caused some rather silly crashes as a result, and earned himself a disqualification for his troubles.

Didn't he ignore the disqualification, or am I thinking of a different race?
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Different race. He was disqualified in Singapore - for a procedural infringement, I think, not a driving infraction - but ignored it.
Bobby Doorknobs

Following the demise of British F3, their German counterpart has also folded: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117445
#FreeGonzo
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

That's in keeping with the streamlining of junior series. It will be replaced by ADAC Formula 4 and European Formula 3.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Two former FR3.5 drivers have been signed in GP2; Marco Sorensen will complete a whole season with Carlin, whilst Norman Nato makes the switch to join Arden.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Rio Haryanto joins Campos for the 2015 GP2 season. I wonder if this will finally be the year that proves he's in the series for more than just £££. I doubt it though, to be honest...
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Haryanto does have some talent - he was pretty promising early on. His problem was that he joined Addax at the wrong time. You can't fault him for it, since they were a good team at the time, but Alejandro Agag was focusing on Formula E and Addax got neglected, which showed in their results (and the decision to take Jake Rosenzweig in the second car).
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Captain Hammer wrote:Haryanto does have some talent - he was pretty promising early on. His problem was that he joined Addax at the wrong time. You can't fault him for it, since they were a good team at the time, but Alejandro Agag was focusing on Formula E and Addax got neglected, which showed in their results (and the decision to take Jake Rosenzweig in the second car).

He's definitely no Sergio Canamasas, but he's no Stoffel Vandoorne either. But a consistent season and some luck could see him pick up a couple of wins, and his Pertamina money might make an F1 team take notice.
The Iceman Waiteth
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The World Series by Renault testing started today. Ellinas was the quickest of the day, but the day was marked by this:

There are various reports that a gust wind caused the crash. Coincidence?
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

A few updates from GP2; Visoiu's bagged the second Rapax, Marlon Stockinger's taken the first of the Status seats and we've got the first pre-season test tomorrow. Hilmer's lineup is...erm, interesting.

From the world of GP3, Koiranen have learned nothing from their travails with Carmen Jorda, and have signed up former Sauber cashcow Bladderly Thong.
Bobby Doorknobs

Ataxia wrote:A few updates from GP2; Visoiu's bagged the second Rapax, Marlon Stockinger's taken the first of the Status seats and we've got the first pre-season test tomorrow. Hilmer's lineup is...erm, interesting.

Jefferies is back! :D
#FreeGonzo
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Tired of people still giving this liability Canamasas drives just because he has money. He's proven time and time again to be a complete disgrace to his chosen profession. I get that Hilmer are depserate for money, but come on, couldn't you just hire someone slow but sane?
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image