2015 Silly Season Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: 2015 Silly Season Thread

Post by CoopsII »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
Simtek wrote:Shocking news: Korea dropped from 2015 calendar!

The whole forum looks at me with a "we don't care" look, and immediately they go back to what they were doing.

Absolutely stunned, never did I even vaguely imagine this would happen :P

Me neither. Just what the hell am I supposed to do with these airplane tickets now?
Just For One Day...
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:Shocking news: Korea dropped from 2015 calendar!

How could you do this to me, Bernie? For me, this was THE most anticipated race of the year! Now you make me want to curl up in the corner and cry.

:cry: See, Bernie? <- That is a image of me crying. I hope that you're happy with yourself now. Actually, I bet you are, you.... (fill in your own choice of swearing here.)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dr-baker wrote:How could you do this to me, Bernie? For me, this was THE most anticipated race of the year! Now you make me want to curl up in the corner and cry.

:cry: See, Bernie? <- That is a image of me crying. I hope that you're happy with yourself now. Actually, I bet you are, you.... (fill in your own choice of swearing here.)

I am disappointed with Bernie though. I was pretty sure that this was his crazy but gentle way of telling the world he was going to bring F1 into his new best pal Kim Jong-un's North Korea but no, he did the expected thing and dropped the race. Next thing you know, he is saying that F1 is going to take advantage of that brand new thing called Internet and that F1's target audience is teenagers in order to ensure F1 fan base has a future in the long run.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

DanielPT wrote:Next thing you know, he is saying that F1 is going to take advantage of that brand new thing called Internet and that F1's target audience is teenagers in order to ensure F1 fan base has a future in the long run.

Come on now. There's joking around, and then there's just totally unrealistic. That will just never happen... ;)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

So, do they get the five engines now or not?
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since my post is about the 2015 season, I figured it would be.

Anyone fancy an avatar bet?

I'm willing to bet that Marcus Ericsson finishes ahead of Felipe Nasr in this year's Drivers Championship. Any takers?
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

FullMetalJack wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since my post is about the 2015 season, I figured it would be.

I'm willing to bet that Marcus Ericsson finishes ahead of Felipe Nasr in this year's Drivers Championship. Any takers?

You're on. ;)
#FreeGonzo
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Simtek wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since my post is about the 2015 season, I figured it would be.

You're on. ;)

I'll wait until later on in the year to decide a punishment avatar for if you are to lose. Be warned, the only one of these bets i've lost is when I bet Klon that Kimi Raikkonen would win the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

FullMetalJack wrote:
Simtek wrote:

You're on. ;)

I'll wait until later on in the year to decide a punishment avatar for if you are to lose. Be warned, the only one of these bets i've lost is when I bet Klon that Kimi Raikkonen would win the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix.

Well I've never lost an avatar bet!

I've never done one either...

EDIT: Here's yours.
#FreeGonzo
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

razta wrote:yeah those are honda's racing colors.. Red and White

If I recall isn't White/Red the Japanese racing Colour?
Waris

Post by Waris »

SuzukiSwift wrote:
razta wrote:yeah those are honda's racing colors.. Red and White

If I recall isn't White/Red the Japanese racing Colour?

Yes.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Bobby Doorknobs

Common sense has prevailed - Honda will be allowed to develop their engine: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117386
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:Common sense has prevailed - Honda will be allowed to develop their engine: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117386

I object. Putting everyone under the same rules is against the spirit of modern F1.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Simtek wrote:Common sense has prevailed - Honda will be allowed to develop their engine: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117386

I object. Putting everyone under the same rules is against the spirit of modern F1.

It is against the spirit of everything in humanity since the neolithic revolution happened.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

This wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

It is against the spirit of everything in humanity since the neolithic revolution happened.

Agreed. Formula 1 should not be about equality. It should be the most oppressive, totalitarian, unequal, and biased sport in the world. :P
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:
This wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I object. Putting everyone under the same rules is against the spirit of modern F1.

Agreed. Formula 1 should not be about equality. It should be the most oppressive, totalitarian, unequal, and biased sport in the world. :P

Somewhere in London, an 84-year-old man with shining white hair vaguely ressembling a mop is smiling and shouting "THEY FINALLY GOT IT!" at his computer screen.

Or at least, he would if he didn't believe the internet was an evil place not worthy of his time or attention.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
mario

Post by mario »

It's an interesting compromise that the FIA is being reported as having created - by allowing Honda the average number of tokens of their rivals, it effectively creates a disincentive for Renault and Ferrari to leave themselves too many development tokens for later in the season (since they are more likely to benefit from extending their development program than Mercedes, who currently hold a development advantage). It comes across as not only a very clever compromise to keep Honda sweet but, given that Marchionne was boasting about how Ferrari had triumphed over the FIA, it effectively takes some of the wind out of their sails by reducing the benefits they might have gained from undermining the FIA's regulations.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Four power units for all drivers this season, despite all that malarkey involving Korea being on the calendar simply to secure an additional power unit. :roll:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

I suspect that's a follow-through from the FIA to remind Ferrari and Renault that they don't run things, the FIA does.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

So his dad is't buying Marussia then :P
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm guessing this is the best place for this?

To ensure that the races start at least 4 hours before sunset, Australia, Malaysia, China, Japan and Russia will all start 1 hour earlier in 2015 than in 2014. Therefore the start times will be as follows:

Autosport wrote:The start times of all the 2015 races are:

15/03 Australia: 16:00 (UK: 05:00)
29/03 Malaysia: 15:00 (UK: 08:00)
12/04 China: 14:00 (UK: 07:00)
19/04 Bahrain: 18:00 (UK: 16:00)
10/05 Spain: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
24/05 Monaco: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
07/06 Canada: 14:00 (UK: 19:00)
21/06 Austria: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
05/07 Britain: 13:00
19/07 Germany: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
26/07 Hungary: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
23/08 Belgium: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
06/09 Italy: 14:00 (UK: 13:00)
20/09 Singapore: 20:00 (UK: 13:00)
27/09 Japan: 14:00 (UK: 06:00)
11/10 Russia: 14:00 (UK: 12:00)
25/10 United States: 14:00 (UK: 19:00)
01/11 Mexico: 13:00 (UK: 19:00)
15/11 Brazil: 14:00 (UK: 16:00)
29/11 Abu Dhabi: 17:00 (UK: 13:00)

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117397
MCard LOLA
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Some rumors about Force India and more:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/force ... ure-report

-The team is facing financial problems.
-The team is for sale.
-Renault is one of the potential buyers.
-Renault want to end the relationship with Red Bull.
-Maldonado's future is uncertain because the petrol crisis.

Update:

Lynn quits Red Bull and joins Williams development driver:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alex- ... ent-driver

Smart move from Lynn. Massa is going to retire in the next 5 years, I think. Plus, some bigger teams are targeting Bottas.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Dj_bereta wrote:Lynn quits Red Bull and joins Williams development driver:

Smart move from Lynn. Massa is going to retire in the next 5 years, I think. Plus, some bigger teams are targeting Bottas.

Massa + Bottas bring modest sponsorship to Williams (Petrobras, Wihuri and Kemppi I think). Would Lynn be able to replace some of that without Red Bull? I can understand him leaving Red Bull after being passed over for Max Verstappen, especially as there probably won't be a seat at Red Bull until 2017 as a result, and that Gasly and whoever else Red Bull pick up between now and then will also be contending for any seats that come up.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Backmarker wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:Lynn quits Red Bull and joins Williams development driver:

Massa + Bottas bring modest sponsorship to Williams (Petrobras, Wihuri and Kemppi I think). Would Lynn be able to replace some of that without Red Bull? I can understand him leaving Red Bull after being passed over for Max Verstappen, especially as there probably won't be a seat at Red Bull until 2017 as a result, and that Gasly and whoever else Red Bull pick up between now and then will also be contending for any seats that come up.

Well, if Williams manage to live without driver sponsors, Lynn has good chances to get a seat in the future.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Kamui's off to Super Formula in Japan this year. At least it gives him a chance to actually race, rather than toil in the Caterham for another year potentially.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

East Londoner wrote:Kamui's off to Super Formula in Japan this year. At least it gives him a chance to actually race, rather than toil in the Caterham for another year potentially.

Yet another never-was for Super Formula. Hooray.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

East Londoner wrote:[url=<a class="linkification-ext" href="http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117511" title="Linkification: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117511">http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117511</a>]Kamui's off to Super Formula in Japan this year[/url]. At least it gives him a chance to actually race, rather than toil in the Caterham for another year potentially.

That's good. That's genuinely nice news to hear :) I know next-to-nothing about that series but it would be nice to hear him kicking ass back in Japan.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
IceG

Post by IceG »

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

IceG wrote:This is just.....http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns29927.html

Unbelievably bad idea. It is so bad, it just screams out for...
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Bobby Doorknobs

#FreeGonzo
Frogfoot9013

Post by Frogfoot9013 »

Could someone tell Bernie to park his JCB and stop digging now? :roll:

EDIT: Instead of double-posting, I'll add to this post.
Of all people to head this stupid plan up, Flavio Briatore and Collin Kolles... Really?
James Hunt, commentating on the 1991 German Grand Prix wrote:The Benettons looking very smart together on the track, mostly because they're both going so slowly.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I would actually be ok with this, as it would bring V8s back. Just let any constructor sell 2013 cars and let them loose. Done.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Frogfoot9013 wrote:Of all people to head this stupid plan up, Flavio Briatore and Collin Kolles... Really?

Leave Colin out of this. The man's almost a deity.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
tBone

Post by tBone »

It reminds me of the 'F1 car for sale' Lotus made a couple of years ago. I forgot its name, but I managed to find a picture of it.

EDIT: Suddenly I got it, it was the Lotus 125.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Last Thursday, the Silly Season got ridiculous. Lotus signed Carmen Jorda as a development driver!
MCard LOLA
andrew

Post by andrew »

dr-baker wrote:Last Thursday, the Silly Season got ridiculous. Lotus signed Carmen Jorda as a development driver!

I thought you were a fan of woman drivers, lol! Carmen jorda spent I believed 3 seasons in GP3 and scored 0 points and was 6 seconds slower than pole in hockenheim. She must bring a lot of money
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

She was 13 seconds off the pace at Spa. The backlash on Twitter after the announcement was hilarious.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

dr-baker wrote:Last Thursday, the Silly Season got ridiculous. Lotus signed Carmen Jorda as a money driver!

FTFY :D
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

andrew wrote:
dr-baker wrote:Last Thursday, the Silly Season got ridiculous. Lotus signed Carmen Jorda as a development driver!

I thought you were a fan of woman drivers, lol! Carmen jorda spent I believed 3 seasons in GP3 and scored 0 points and was 6 seconds slower than pole in hockenheim. She must bring a lot of money

I know I'm a fan, but then there's taking it too far perhaps? And in this case, I really can't justify Lotus's choice except for financial reasons, as you said. Still, as least it's clearly a rejectful choice.
MCard LOLA