The 2015 Launch Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Yannick

Re: The 2015 Launch Thread

Post by Yannick »

good_Ralf wrote:Image

Oh dear, it's another "Earth Car" ...

The new blue-and-yellow livery of Sauber reminds me very much of the color scheme on the car which Mike Conway ran for a few years in IndyCar for Dreyer & Reinbold Racing.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

CoopsII wrote:Image

Brought to you by "Red Elk Energy Drink". Red Elk gives you antlers. ;-)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

That is probably the ugliest nose of the lot for me. I also think that, given the illogical liveries that honour wrong cars, Ferrari wasted a great chance of honouring BMS Scuderia Italia...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
tBone

Post by tBone »

East Londoner wrote:Image

Looks like someone at Brackley was looking at some of the old cars that factory produced, came across the 2004 BAR nosecone, and thought "that'll do". But I like it.

Or do we have a new spionage scandal on our hands and were they looking at the history of Milton Keynes teams?
YOUR
LOGO

Here
qw4tt0r

Post by qw4tt0r »

Simtek wrote:
qw4tt0r wrote:I have to say, the cars that were shown this year were already better looking than the 2013 and 2014 grids put together, but that doesn't say much.
I'm very concerned about McLaren's lack of a main sponsor, how are they supposed to be competitive with Mercedes development wise without the cash of a main sponsor...

But they're announcing it soon! :P

Didn't they say the same thing throughout 2014? :P
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

madmark1974 wrote:Er, I don't get it? Are people getting Sweden and Switzerland mixed up or something? Or is it just because it looks like Sweden's flag colours?

Because of this
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

On the Ferrari, the sidepods look pretty interesting to me. I don't know why, but they don't look as normal as I've seen.

On the Sauber, I'd say it's the ugliest car so far if they retained the old livery. But they didn't, so ugliest car so far goes to Williams. It's not like what I'm going to say now matters. I'll be used to it after the third race.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

roblomas52 wrote:That nose design is hideous, I know I should be supporting them because my second cousin works for them but I just can't.

Sauber actually managed to make the nose "appendage" bigger and more bulbous! It's horrid! The new colour scheme is nice but it now looks even more bare of sponsors than before.

As for the Ferrari nose, I quite like it, but its not hard to improve on the vacuum cleaner design of last year! Interesting that had Guti in the launch photos but not Vergne. Does that mean that in the unlikely (but entirely possible given the unpredictability of Kimi's interest in F1) event that one of the seats become free during the season that Guti will step up rather than Vergne? Or is it purely a reflection of where the sponsorship money is coming from?
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
tBone

Post by tBone »

watka wrote:Interesting that had Guti in the launch photos but not Vergne. Does that mean that in the unlikely (but entirely possible given the unpredictability of Kimi's interest in F1) event that one of the seats become free during the season that Guti will step up rather than Vergne? Or is it purely a reflection of where the sponsorship money is coming from?

Scuderia Ferrari's website has profiles of all their test drivers. According to Guti's profile, he is third driver. There is no mention of that on JEV's. So I think Esteban Gutierrez might be the one to step up.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Meh, the Ferrari doesn't look too bad, but the nose is big. I guess it won't be much of a improvement to last year though.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
razta

Post by razta »

Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I like the Sauber, has a late '80s early '90s feel to it. It does make the car look very bulky though.

Like the Ferrari, very clean lines, but still too much black paint IMO. The Alfa logos are interesting, because isn't Ferrari an independent company now?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

razta wrote:

Very droll! :D
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Waris

Post by Waris »

I can only say I'm quite disappointed with with the liveries so far. Ferrari could've gone a little bit more conservative with the black. Sauber wasted a great opportuntity to design a killer livery with those colours. Here's hoping Manor and/or Caterham actually make it and turn out a crazy, or just a decent, livery.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I think the Sauber livery is fantastic. And as it looks so brilliant the car absolutely HAS to be awfully slow!

All the rest have left me completely cold.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

That Sauber, with the white/black wings, does have a bit of a backmarker look to it.
mario

Post by mario »

go_Rubens wrote:On the Ferrari, the sidepods look pretty interesting to me. I don't know why, but they don't look as normal as I've seen.

On the Sauber, I'd say it's the ugliest car so far if they retained the old livery. But they didn't, so ugliest car so far goes to Williams. It's not like what I'm going to say now matters. I'll be used to it after the third race.

The sidepods of the SF15T do seem a little unusual, and there are some areas where the car does look like a more marked departure from the F14T (although they've kept the front pull rod concept, the geometry of the front suspension has changed markedly). As for the Sauber, the C34 seems like a fairly conservative car - not surprising given that Sauber have been burnt badly last year and are therefore probably taking a cautious approach to this year.

Wallio wrote:I like the Sauber, has a late '80s early '90s feel to it. It does make the car look very bulky though.

Like the Ferrari, very clean lines, but still too much black paint IMO. The Alfa logos are interesting, because isn't Ferrari an independent company now?

Not yet - Fiat have announced that they intend to separate Ferrari from the wider Fiat group, but that is not due to take place until later this year. Until that process is complete, Ferrari is still officially a subsidiary of Fiat.

Furthermore, even once Ferrari are listed on the NYSE, Fiat will still retain a controlling stake in the company - only 10% of the shares in Ferrari will be made public. Ferrari would technically be independent, but Fiat would still effectively control Ferrari given the size of their stock holding - it's therefore unlikely to actually have that much of an effect on the relationship between Fiat and Ferrari in the short term.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

andrew2209 wrote:That Sauber, with the white/black wings, does have a bit of a backmarker look to it.

They will likely be backmarkers anyway this year indeed. :D

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

AustralianStig wrote:Adam Cooper is speculating that McLaren may be doing a 'placeholder' livery, and the actual new colours will be launched in Australia.

We can only hope.

Bring back red and white. Bring back orange. Heck, run a pink car for papa smurf!

Just, stop being so middle of the road.

I swear they said that last year
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The Alfa logos on the Ferrari have replaced the Fiat ones, which have been on the cars since the mid 70s I believe. Quite a significant departure there really.

As for the Sauber, I'm with Barbazza on that - it looks incredible and is just set up to be completely and utterly rubbish and hopelessly off the pace. It's the sort of scheme, devoid of any real sponsors, that I'd have expected AGS or Coloni to have cooked up had they been around for another year! :lol:
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

F1000X wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Image

It's like when you hit the paint bucket tool instead of the pencil tool in MS-Paint.

That did make me laugh. My initial impression was along the lines of "oh, real colors rather than grey, that's nice", but the more I look at it I think that my three year old son could knock up something just as good using RowMan Gross-Gene's website at https://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/home.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

More_Blue_Flags wrote:
F1000X wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Image

It's like when you hit the paint bucket tool instead of the pencil tool in MS-Paint.

That did make me laugh. My initial impression was along the lines of "oh, real colors rather than grey, that's nice", but the more I look at it I think that my three year old son could knock up something just as good using RowMan Gross-Gene's website at https://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/home.

I think they designed it with Grand Prix Editor.

(It's an F1GP thing)
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Overall the cars are looking better than last year I think. A little more pleasing to mine eye.

Also, where's the star of the show? Fashionably late I know, but does anybody have any news on if when Caterham are going to reveal their car for this season that they might will participate in?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

They already have - it's called the CT05 and they showed it off a year ago. If Caterham (and/or Marussia) survive, they will need a special dispensation from the FIA to use their 2014 cars, which the FIA has already indicated that they are willing to provide.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I'm sure Mclaren used a previous years car once at the start of the season, so they're in good company.
Just For One Day...
AdrianBelmonte_

CoopsII wrote:I'm sure Mclaren used a previous years car once at the start of the season, so they're in good company.

In 2003 they used a slightly updated version of 2002 car
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I'm sure Mclaren used a previous years car once at the start of the season, so they're in good company.

That must have been the year they couldn't get the MP4/19 to work, wasn't it?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

That must have been the year they couldn't get the MP4/19 to work, wasn't it?

It was the MP4-18, but yes, that was the year. They still managed to do quite well, though.
#FreeGonzo
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

McLaren used the MP4/6 (as the MP4/6B) pre-Brazil in '92.
AdrianBelmonte_

And here's the all new (sic) Toro Rosso

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Same colors since... 2011, right? Also, this navy nose is ugly. Why not cover it entirely with gold color?
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Anyone else think there's going to be a nosecone complaint lodged on day one at Melbourne?
mediocre

Post by mediocre »

Dj_bereta wrote:Same colors since... 2011, right? Also, this navy nose is ugly. Why not cover it entirely with gold color?

Well, why would Toro Rosso change their livery? It's a Red Bull car, that's exactly what it's supposed to be. ;)
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:And here's the all new (sic) Toro Rosso

Ahhhh much needed colours...

By the way, I expect Red Bull to scrap their usual livery for a green and gold livery. You know why...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Clock has been wound back to 1066 with that nosecone, reminds me of a broadsword!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

sswishbone wrote:Clock has been wound back to 1066 with that nosecone, reminds me of a broadsword!

Crusaders style! I'd love to see some medievil art on a race car, though.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Apparently, Red Bull will be testing in Jerez with a black and white camouflage livery. It seems the best way to hide something is to draw a lot of attention to the fact you're trying to conceal it...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

sswishbone wrote:Clock has been wound back to 1066 with that nosecone, reminds me of a broadsword!

It reminds me more of a tie.

"Sorry Sir, you can't come in here, you're not wearing a Toro Rosso!"
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Massive airbox and tiny sidepods make for an interesting combination.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

all about that turbo intake!
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.