What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
CoopsII

Re: What Tracks Will Get the Boot?

Post by CoopsII »

I wonder if poor attendance at the German GPs has less to do with the tracks and more to do with their drivers. The fans were there for Michael, their Michael, as he quickly got on terms with the 80s legends and then went on to deftly bat away attacks from British pretenders, old rivals from Finland and that scruffy herbert from Canada, before finally painted the word SCHUMACHER in red all across the start of the noughties

Not enough German fans are feeling it for Vettel, Rosberg or Sutil ( :lol: Sutil! As if) which is sort of surprising given Vettels success but, I think, they don't see him as having fought as hard as Schumacher did.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I wonder if poor attendance at the German GPs has less to do with the tracks and more to do with their drivers. The fans were there for Michael, their Michael, as he quickly got on terms with the 80s legends and then went on to deftly bat away attacks from British pretenders, old rivals from Finland and that scruffy herbert from Canada, before finally painted the word SCHUMACHER in red all across the start of the noughties

Not enough German fans are feeling it for Vettel, Rosberg or Sutil ( :lol: Sutil! As if) which is sort of surprising given Vettels success but, I think, they don't see him as having fought as hard as Schumacher did.

Well, I reckon it also helped that Schumacher was the first German champion, so that would be an advantage over Vettel. I also think that many Germans are also tiffosi and despite all the denial Ferrari is still Ferrari and maybe that is the reason why Vettel went to Ferrari. To conquer Schumacher levels of fame. Other reason is all the time it took to Schumacher (along with Todt, Brawn, Byrne, Montezemolo and others) to take Ferrari out of the gutter to become the Championship winning machine. By then Schumacher had become a legend and loved in Germany.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

DanielPT wrote:Well, I reckon it also helped that Schumacher was the first German champion, so that would be an advantage over Vettel. I also think that many Germans are also tiffosi and despite all the denial Ferrari is still Ferrari and maybe that is the reason why Vettel went to Ferrari. To conquer Schumacher levels of fame. Other reason is all the time it took to Schumacher (along with Todt, Brawn, Byrne, Montezemolo and others) to take Ferrari out of the gutter to become the Championship winning machine. By then Schumacher had become a legend and loved in Germany.

I think it's a gut feeling rather that statistical reasons. Senna wasnt the first Brazillian WDC but look at his still enduring appeal. Germans being tifosi, maybe, but they were hardcore Benetton fans for a while so I think wherever he went they would've followed adoringly. Being part of the team that dragged Ferrari from the red gutter did play a part, though, I'm sure.

Perhaps German F1 fans just think Vettel is an arse, and don't want to part with their hard-earned Euros to watch him. I'd ask Klon for his opinion but he'd probably get all mental and start having a pop at me for being English. :lol: Loser.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:I think it's a gut feeling rather that statistical reasons. Senna wasnt the first Brazillian WDC but look at his still enduring appeal. Germans being tifosi, maybe, but they were hardcore Benetton fans for a while so I think wherever he went they would've followed adoringly. Being part of the team that dragged Ferrari from the red gutter did play a part, though, I'm sure.

Certainly the way they won, coupled with the kind of interaction they have with masses is also important. The background may play its part too. This is why that, despite his 3 WDC, Nelson Piquet was disliked in Brazil in comparison with both Fittipaldi and Senna. Generally speaking the poorer the background the better chances there are one will be liked when famous because of the whole breakthrough dream most people have. All this despite knowing Senna came from a rich background (his interaction with people changed this perception).

As for the hardcore Benetton fans, well, they were mostly Schumacher fans but I reckon they weren't that many back then although I admit the lack of evidence on this. Coincidently, I seen somewhere that more than 90000 people attended the German Moto GP race this year in comparison with the meagre 55000 of the F1 race. This despite the lack of German front runners in all three categories. This might imply that while the absence of a Schumacher-like figure may play its part in the low attendance figures, a larger size of blame is elsewhere other than drivers or tracks. I think that the reason is simple and is that the Germans are experts at acknowledging when they are blatantly being ripped off...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Not sure what the pricing structure in Germany is, but MotoGP tickets don't exactly come cheap either though. In terms of the crowds for MotoGP you need look no further than the characters in it.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

AndreaModa wrote:Not sure what the pricing structure in Germany is, but MotoGP tickets don't exactly come cheap either though. In terms of the crowds for MotoGP you need look no further than the characters in it.

The year just passed me and my friend went to Silverstone for the F1 and not the MotoGP. We were originally going to see the motorcycling but the real "meh"-ness of the season last year changed our minds. For us it does have a lot to do with how good we think the race might actually be, and after seeing Bahrain we just had to go :P
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

AndreaModa wrote:Not sure what the pricing structure in Germany is, but MotoGP tickets don't exactly come cheap either though. In terms of the crowds for MotoGP you need look no further than the characters in it.

A quick check tells me the prices are more or less even in Germany. Still, I think you get more value in your MotoGP tickets than you get in F1. Are you saying that there are more MotoGP fans at the base because the characters in it than F1? I can believe in that actually...
tBone

Post by tBone »

DanielPT wrote:

A quick check tells me the prices are more or less even in Germany. Still, I think you get more value in your MotoGP tickets than you get in F1. Are you saying that there are more MotoGP fans at the base because the characters in it than F1? I can believe in that actually...

Do you have examples of those characters? I can only think of Valentino Rossi as an outstanding character in MotoGP. Guys like Lorenzo and Marquez seem less remarkable as characters, in my opinion similar to Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen etc.

The racing action might be more of a cause. I feel MotoGP is a little bit more genuine, because of the lack of (K)ERS, DRS and other 'artificial' systems. There is a lot of on-track action in it, maybe more than in F1 at the moment.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

tBone wrote:Do you have examples of those characters? I can only think of Valentino Rossi as an outstanding character in MotoGP. Guys like Lorenzo and Marquez seem less remarkable as characters, in my opinion similar to Hamilton, Alonso, Raikkonen etc.

I meant the characters in the crowd. It followed AndreaModa's line of thought. I think he meant the biker mentality which immediately connects with bike racing and track racing in most cases. On the other hand, you have petrol heads that while like racing, don't watch it never mind liking F1.

tBone wrote:The racing action might be more of a cause. I feel MotoGP is a little bit more genuine, because of the lack of (K)ERS, DRS and other 'artificial' systems. There is a lot of on-track action in it, maybe more than in F1 at the moment.

I think MotoGP gap between bikes is wider now than 10 years ago. But then again I stopped watching full MotoGP races as soon as it changed from Eurosport to subscription based Channels.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Question!! does a track need Tilkey, square corners to qualify for a Formula One schedule?
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

man they really butchered what was once a great track.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

nome66 wrote:Question!! does a track need Tilkey, square corners to qualify for a Formula One schedule?

In the Autosport article that picture came from, they explained exactly why the changes to the Esses and Peraltada happened.

"The biggest question we get asked is 'why did you have to change it?'" says architect Tilke's on-site representative Christian Epp.

"The Peraltada corner has a lot of tradition and is historic and we tried every effort to keep it, but it's really impossible.

"The safety measures today would not allow us, the FIA would not accept it."

"There is so much construction on the exit of the corner, you wouldn't be able to create any run-off here. So that's the explanation of why this section doesn't work."
"Also we kept the Esses, but basically we flipped them around. You see in Turn 9 there was no run-off there.

"So we had to move the track to a position where we can create that run-off. In essence, we keep the old Esses, but we accommodate the track to new safety standards."

And as for the rest of the track - were those corners really that great? Hell, I'm not convinced the Esses were anything to right home about, to be honest.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Salamander wrote:
And as for the rest of the track - were those corners really that great? Hell, I'm not convinced the Esses were anything to right home about, to be honest.

They beat a bunch of straights. This new layout looks like they took old Monza and just traced it, cutting up the Parabolica.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote:
Salamander wrote:

They beat a bunch of straights.

But they're still there... just reprofiled

This new layout looks like they took old Monza and just traced it, cutting up the Parabolica.

Yeah, because the original Mexico City was such a paragon of originality...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

nome66 wrote:Question!! does a track need Tilkey, square corners to qualify for a Formula One schedule?

Yes.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

I liked Fuji and see no reason why I won't like the new Hermanos Rodriguez circuit.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

watka wrote:I liked Fuji and see no reason why I won't like the new Hermanos Rodriguez circuit.

Fuji have elevation changes and an amazing background

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

And because of its location, it was pretty much guaranteed monsoonal conditions.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

I miss Fuji. They should have two Japanese Grand Prix each year. Replace... I don't know, Abu Dhabi or Russia or something and bring back the "Pacific Grand Prix"!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
andrew2209

Post by andrew2209 »

Fuji seems like a track that should be great, but some corners are a real pain in the backside, from my experience on Gran Turismo. Also, the old last corner was better in my opinion.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

andrew2209 wrote:Fuji seems like a track that should be great, but some corners are a real pain in the backside, from my experience on Gran Turismo. Also, the old last corner was better in my opinion.

I personally love the corners that I think you suggest are a "real pain in the backside." Likely the last 4 corners or so, but despite the incredible challenge of getting it right lap after lap, I thouroughly enjoy it.

I, for once, would love to see Fuji back on the F1 calendar. Only problem is, akin to most Japanese circuits, it's in the middle of nowhere. Suzuka is really the best option in terms of within civilization, as F1 would never race at Tsukuba (way too short).
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

Fuji doesn't really fit F1 but it does beautifully work for WEC
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

go_Rubens wrote:
andrew2209 wrote:Fuji seems like a track that should be great, but some corners are a real pain in the backside, from my experience on Gran Turismo. Also, the old last corner was better in my opinion.

I personally love the corners that I think you suggest are a "real pain in the backside." Likely the last 4 corners or so, but despite the incredible challenge of getting it right lap after lap, I thouroughly enjoy it.

I, for once, would love to see Fuji back on the F1 calendar. Only problem is, akin to most Japanese circuits, it's in the middle of nowhere. Suzuka is really the best option in terms of within civilization, as F1 would never race at Tsukuba (way too short).

Despite it being challenging, it's good?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

I think he said that he thoroughly enjoys it, despite it being a challenge to get right lap after lap.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

dr-baker wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:

I think he said that he thoroughly enjoys it, despite it being a challenge to get right lap after lap.

I am also pretty sure he said that as well.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

If they could schedule the race for one of the three days in the year when the rain is not hammering down, it might be okay. The problem is that the circuit sits in the rainshadow of Mt. Fuji, so it gets drenched as a matter of course.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
nome66

Post by nome66 »

how about Autopolis? seems to be an interesting layout.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

It was built specifically for Formula 1, but it's extremely isolated - even by the standards set by Japanese circuits. There's no support infrastructure, like accommodation, nearby, either.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Captain Hammer wrote:It was built specifically for Formula 1, but it's extremely isolated - even by the standards set by Japanese circuits. There's no support infrastructure, like accommodation, nearby, either.

I think that is the issue for Autopolis, it's isolation because as a circuit, I really like it's layout. in fact I think it is a very underrated circuit.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I remember Autopolis being a sposor of the Benetton team in 1993 (in the same way Bahrain sponsored the Jordan team in around 2003) with the intention of Autopolis holding a race in the mid-1990s. I've always thought how similar the name of that track was to Autopia, a ride at Disneyland...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

dr-baker wrote:I remember Autopolis being a sposor of the Benetton team in 1993 (in the same way Bahrain sponsored the Jordan team in around 2003) with the intention of Autopolis holding a race in the mid-1990s. I've always thought how similar the name of that track was to Autopia, a ride at Disneyland...

Apologies for nitpicking but it was actually 1990/91 that they sponsored them baker:

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

AndreaModa wrote:
dr-baker wrote:I remember Autopolis being a sposor of the Benetton team in 1993 (in the same way Bahrain sponsored the Jordan team in around 2003) with the intention of Autopolis holding a race in the mid-1990s. I've always thought how similar the name of that track was to Autopia, a ride at Disneyland...

Apologies for nitpicking but it was actually 1990/91 that they sponsored them baker.

No problems. I knew it was not long before I really got into F1, I just got the year a bit wrong.
MCard LOLA
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Hockenheim is not going to step in as a replacement for Nürburgring and thus, there won't be a German Grand Prix in 2015.

However, Hockenheim will host the 2016 German Grand Prix as planned.

I'd say that's a reasonable decision by the Hockenheim promoter.

It's going to be interesting how much of a ticket sales increase will result from this for Spa and the Red Bull Ring.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

Dj_bereta wrote:Eau Rouge dangerous as ever.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/sp ... nts-031715

Good news is they're only 3 cm high, but surely there's a better solution than this?
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

So .. Istanbul Park will be hosting cars again ... But not quite in the way they'd hoped ...

http://www.todayszaman.com/business_f1-racetrack-in-turkey-to-become-used-car-lot_397723.html

Istanbul Park, built at a cost of $290 million in 2005 to hold Formula 1 races that sputtered to a halt in 2011 due to a lack of interest, is to become a used car dealership, according to a report in the Sözcü daily on Friday.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

It's a shame Turkey got sidelined for whatever reason. I thought it was one of the better new tracks.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

With this latest news about Istanbul Park being turned into a car dealership, I thought I'd take a look at some of Tilke's tracks that, as the thread title suggests have "already got the boot". I've tried to find concept/visualisation artwork which includes stuff like wildly over-optimistic crowd sizes, the entire city that was meant to surround the Korean track, etc, etc. All for a little laugh!

Korea
Here's Vettel describing a lap around a rather lavish looking Korea International Circuit.

And here's some shots of what it should have looked like:
Big crowds, and bigger buildings!

And here's how it ended up. Watch from 4:00 onwards to get a real sense of the unfinished state of the whole area.

India
Here's a shot of the Buddh International Circuit with all of those white/orange/green mosaic "imitation crowd" seats filled with the bums of millions of virtual Indians:

Valencia
To be fair to Valencia, they could draw a crowd:

But look what's happened to it since:

I wonder how much money these, plus Istanbul Park, all cost together? Four circuits, and only India with any prospect of a return, and I doubt that unless laws are changed. If I lived in any of these countries and these were even part-government funded, I'd be looking for a few answers!

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I have just the car to tackle that particular track...

Just For One Day...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Yeah the second video of Korea reminds me very much of Mad Max. Such a desolately empty area.