The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
The Dutch Bear

Re: The Ali Dia Football/Soccer Thread

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Biscione wrote:
The Dutch Bear wrote:(post referencing KNVB)

Having noticed you're from Rotterdam...I hope for your dignity's sake that you aren't a Feyenoord fan. That was some of the worst fan behaviour in Europe I've seen in a fair while! Turning up in Roma and thoroughly trashing the city and rioting, then throwing stuff at players in the return leg. I'm glad Roma knocked them out, so they can't be a blight on another city for this season at least!!

I'm terribly ashamed about the behavior of the 'hard core' of the Feyenoord fans. I have nothing positive to say about people that only harm the club they are claiming to support. I'm appalled about what happened in the beautiful city of Rome. The guys that showed up there were already banned from visiting matches here, but due to the open borders here on the Continent were able to travel over there on their own and go on their probably cocaine-fueled rampage.

As far as the match in Rotterdam is concerned, it had been quite quiet in the city before the match, but the atmosphere at the match was very tense or even agitated before it even began. I wasn't there, I watched the game at home on the television. It was already clear that it could go wrong and added to that some decisions by the referee appearing to choose the side of AS Roma, meant that an explosion was bound to happen. This however is no excuse for what happened and I am disgusted by what happened.

My sincere apologies about the behavior committed by the Feyenoord fans and I would like to distance myself as far as possible from this scum and their despciable behaviour. I am and will be a Feyenoord fan and it makes me cry on the inside to see these barbarians ruin other cities and the beautiful club they claim means so much to them. Most of the Feyenoord fans are good people and not terrorists, but there is a significant amount of hooligans who bathplug everything up. We need to sort that out, if the club is going to survive. Again my deepest apologies for what happened in the past two weeks.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

The Dutch Bear wrote:
Biscione wrote:
The Dutch Bear wrote:(post referencing KNVB)

Having noticed you're from Rotterdam...I hope for your dignity's sake that you aren't a Feyenoord fan. That was some of the worst fan behaviour in Europe I've seen in a fair while! Turning up in Roma and thoroughly trashing the city and rioting, then throwing stuff at players in the return leg. I'm glad Roma knocked them out, so they can't be a blight on another city for this season at least!!

I'm terribly ashamed about the behavior of the 'hard core' of the Feyenoord fans. I have nothing positive to say about people that only harm the club they are claiming to support. I'm appalled about what happened in the beautiful city of Rome. The guys that showed up there were already banned from visiting matches here, but due to the open borders here on the Continent were able to travel over there on their own and go on their probably cocaine-fueled rampage.

As far as the match in Rotterdam is concerned, it had been quite quiet in the city before the match, but the atmosphere at the match was very tense or even agitated before it even began. I wasn't there, I watched the game at home on the television. It was already clear that it could go wrong and added to that some decisions by the referee appearing to choose the side of AS Roma, meant that an explosion was bound to happen. This however is no excuse for what happened and I am disgusted by what happened.

My sincere apologies about the behavior committed by the Feyenoord fans and I would like to distance myself as far as possible from this scum and their despciable behaviour. I am and will be a Feyenoord fan and it makes me cry on the inside to see these barbarians ruin other cities and the beautiful club they claim means so much to them. Most of the Feyenoord fans are good people and not terrorists, but there is a significant amount of hooligans who bathplug everything up. We need to sort that out, if the club is going to survive. Again my deepest apologies for what happened in the past two weeks.

For me, it was just utter disbelief. I was in Rome the day of the most recent Derby della Capitale - usually extremely tense affairs outside the stadium as well as in...the impact was barely felt compared to the scenes I witnessed on screen when the Feyenoord fans showed up.

I guess this is why the KNVB felt it necessary to implement fan cards. In Europe in general, the Ultras need reigned in. I'm sure at some point Inter Ultras have behaved in reckless manner in times gone past (but appeared to be behaving themselves in Glasgow last week).
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Oh god, the refereeing in that Man-U Sunderland match was pretty diabolical. O'Shea and Whickham should have been booked and Wes Brown did nothing to deserve a red card.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
go_Rubens
Location: A raging river somewhere in the Eastern (cough) United States (cough)

Post by go_Rubens »

roblomas52 wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:Wow, English refereeing has been a complete shambles this month. Never mind the whole season... Why doesn't the English FA have a video referee? Or any football league for that matter? Both Gordon Murray and Wes Brown should never have been sent to the showers early today.

If they keep up their consistency of screwing Chelsea over, Spurs stand a damn good chance in the cup tomorrow! :P

Spurs already stand a good chance. A lot of their regular personnel have rarely experienced games as big as this. Then again, Spurs can probably say the same thing. Plus, Diego Costa has been nowhere near his best, Nemanja Matic is suspended, and good old Cesc hasn't been impressive as of late fighting injuries and other things. Courtois might just be Chelsea's most important player. Tottenham have also hit a little rough patch, but I think that's more of a resting key players thing than anything. Tottenham did just go away to Fiorentina with a rotation squad (and lost). They rested for Fiorentina against West Ham and were extremely lucky to get a late point.

roblomas52 wrote:Oh god, the refereeing in that Man-U Sunderland match was pretty diabolical. O'Shea and Whickham should have been booked and Wes Brown did nothing to deserve a red card.

At least the English FA can review the foul and properly determine who should be banned for 3 matches. Either way, that foul by O'Shea was a bleak reminder of last season. At least Poyet doesn't have to dig Sunderland out of the hellhole di Canio left us in.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
The Dutch Bear

Post by The Dutch Bear »

Biscione wrote:
The Dutch Bear wrote:
Biscione wrote:Having noticed you're from Rotterdam...I hope for your dignity's sake that you aren't a Feyenoord fan. That was some of the worst fan behaviour in Europe I've seen in a fair while! Turning up in Roma and thoroughly trashing the city and rioting, then throwing stuff at players in the return leg. I'm glad Roma knocked them out, so they can't be a blight on another city for this season at least!!

For me, it was just utter disbelief. I was in Rome the day of the most recent Derby della Capitale - usually extremely tense affairs outside the stadium as well as in...the impact was barely felt compared to the scenes I witnessed on screen when the Feyenoord fans showed up.

I guess this is why the KNVB felt it necessary to implement fan cards. In Europe in general, the Ultras need reigned in. I'm sure at some point Inter Ultras have behaved in reckless manner in times gone past (but appeared to be behaving themselves in Glasgow last week).
Hooliganism in the Netherlands is not at it highest point which was 10-15 years ago, but is still quite present. For the past few years at matches between Ajax and Feyenoord fans from the visiting side are not allowed. This is probably the only match in the world where this is the case. The cosmopolitan white collar Amsterdam- rugged blue collar Rotterdam rivalry is quite big here, but I suppose it's not too different from other rivalries in the rest of the Europe. Hooliganism came 10-15 years later to the Netherlands, ironically introduced in Rotterdam by Tottenham Hotspurs fans in 1974, and the government is behind by 10-15 years to the UK in adressing the problem.

The solution must come from the government really cracking down on hooliganism as I doubt the clubs will be able to do it themselves. For example after the match in Rome some fans, not the guys that trashed the city as they didn't have tickets, went to the bus of Feyenoord and threatened the staff. That really shows how far beyond reason some guys are and I think only harsh punishments like years of jail time will ever set these guys straight. Jail time some deserve anyway given parts of the Ajax and Feyenoord 'hard core' are known to be involved in drug trafficking and arms trading.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Who'd ever thought that a game from 4th division team Esperanza Pelt would attract 12000 visitors and be broadcasted live on television? (Pelts is a fusion between Overpelt and Neerpelt, two very small towns)
It is because of the 'New Beerschot', who is their title rival in division 4C, who are apparenly selling out crowds easily in 4th division. Still the first time ever a game in 4th division will be broadcasted, on local channels ATV and TVL
Meanwhile in third division, only 7 teams applied for a license for second division. In division 3B, none of the current top 3 teams has applied for promotion. The famous Sprimont of TommyKL fame, is one of the teams that refuses to get promoted.
Our second division is really becoming a problem, with Mons and Rc Mechelen going into administration and Aalst not having a stadium anymore. Many small teams unable to become professional and other teams looking for questionable foreign investors.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
mrfakeboullier

Post by mrfakeboullier »

This wrote: Many small teams unable to become professional and other teams looking for questionable foreign investors.

Remids me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

Meanwhile, in Spain, yesterday Barcelona won in Granada 1-3, with Luis Suárez as one of the key players, today my team (Atlético Madrid) draws away against Sevilla (0-0), that could take them 9 points behind Real Madrid if the blancos had won their game vs Villarreal (that is focusing on Copa del Rey match against Barça), but SURPRISE, Villarreal managed to draw against them, 1-1 at the end

With this, here's the league table

1st Real Madrid: 61 points
2nd FC Barcelona: 59 points
3rd Atlético de Madrid: 54 points
4th Valencia CF (!!!): 53 points

Also, Eibar lost again vs Athletic Bilbao, 5 consecutive defeats :roll:
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:Meanwhile in third division, only 7 teams applied for a license for second division. In division 3B, none of the current top 3 teams has applied for promotion. The famous Sprimont of TommyKL fame, is one of the teams that refuses to get promoted.

There are two reasons for this:
1) Our stadium is too small
2) Our pitch is simply too narrow for the Division 2 regulations.
It's worth noting that while we're currently second in D3B with a grand population of 14000, Virton are now fourth in D2 with only 11500 people. Why? Because Belgium, that's why.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote:Meanwhile in third division, only 7 teams applied for a license for second division. In division 3B, none of the current top 3 teams has applied for promotion. The famous Sprimont of TommyKL fame, is one of the teams that refuses to get promoted.

It's worth noting that while we're currently second in D3B with a grand population of 14000, Virton are now fourth in D2 with only 11500 people. Why? Because Belgium, that's why.

Go talk to Italy about that, Sassuolo are in Serie A and have a population of 41,000.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

tommykl wrote:Virton are now fourth in D2 with only 11500 people. Why? Because Belgium, that's why.

Virton! Boooooo! Valentin Focki can get to, he behaved like a right diva for my Colmar team in Football Manager! :P

watka wrote:Go talk to Italy about that, Sassuolo are in Serie A and have a population of 41,000.

Sassuolo aren't the only small town team currently in Serie A - Empoli, who have spent the last 10-15 years of their history bouncing between Serie A & B, have a population of only 48,000 as well.

I will need to take a trip down to Emilia-Romagna someday though - visits to the Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati & Ducati factories along with a jaunt down to the Mapei Stadium to watch Sassuolo play against cities with many times its own population!

Image Image
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

watka wrote:
Go talk to Italy about that, Sassuolo are in Serie A and have a population of 41,000.

Sure look at Eibar in La Liga, only 27,000 proud inhabitants. Or in more relevant terms - it would take nearly 4 times their entire population to fill the Camp Nou.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
pi314159

Post by pi314159 »

All these are still mega-cities compared to Hoffenheim, who are playing in the Bundesliga, and have a population of just over 3000 people.
pasta_maldonado wrote:The stewards have recommended that Alan Jones learns to drive.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

pi314159 wrote:All these are still mega-cities compared to Hoffenheim, who are playing in the Bundesliga, and have a population of just over 3000 people.

Which is amazing given that even in diddy Scotland, the smallest town with a Premiership team is Dingwall, a town of 5500 people and home to Ross County. Though we did have Gretna for a single season a wee while back, with all of its 2700 inhabitants.

Image Image
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Biscione wrote:
pi314159 wrote:All these are still mega-cities compared to Hoffenheim, who are playing in the Bundesliga, and have a population of just over 3000 people.

Which is amazing given that even in diddy Scotland, the smallest town with a Premiership team is Dingwall, a town of 5500 people and home to Ross County. Though we did have Gretna for a single season a wee while back, with all of its 2700 inhabitants.

In Portugal we have Moreirense from Moreira de Cónegos, boasting an enormous population of 4800. And their Stadium has a capacity for 6100... Although this is nothing compared to Hoffenheim. As the difference to the second smallest town is only tenfold.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
AdrianBelmonte_

shinji wrote:
watka wrote:

Sure look at Eibar in La Liga, only 27,000 proud inhabitants. Or in more relevant terms - it would take nearly 4 times their entire population to fill the Camp Nou.

Plus in second tier (Segunda División) here we have Llagostera, a team from a small town in Girona with 8500 inhabitants

And in third (Segunda B) you can look at Somozas, an small team from a town with around 1500 inhabitants
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:

Yeah, i read about the pitch, apparently it's even too small for division 3, so you guys are in trouble, no matter how you put it.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

This wrote:
tommykl wrote:

Yeah, i read about the pitch, apparently it's even too small for division 3, so you guys are in trouble, no matter how you put it.

A third division club in Belgium - that surely can't be expensive, can it? Between all of on GPR we could probably scrape enough money together and buy a club. Considering how things are going over there, we'd make it to Division 2 in no time at all! :P

Image Image
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Biscione wrote:
This wrote:
tommykl wrote:There are two reasons for this:

A third division club in Belgium - that surely can't be expensive, can it? Between all of on GPR we could probably scrape enough money together and buy a club. Considering how things are going over there, we'd make it to Division 2 in no time at all! :P

Well, we actually do have a second ground, but it's underdeveloped, and I don't even know if that one's wide enough either :P
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Haven't been on a while (again) but here goes...

The Gunners look to be going ok, but a poor game vs Monaco has just about ended another season of no success in Europe. Call me bias, but I think we were a good chance of going far, with team playing well, and a few key players almost or just being fit right now after various injuries (Ozil, Walcott, Sanchez, Wilshere, Ox, Ramsey). There is still a chance, but it will be like Manor winning the Australian Grand Prix, (well maybe a better chance then that, but unlikely).

However, these issues is in stark contrast to the Giallilobu, Parma FC (My Serie A club). An absolute shambles, a basket case, how can things end up like this. An owner who didn't invest (with a lot of debt), sold the club to a chap who said he had money (had none), who then sold the club to a chap who promised money (still waiting)

Players haven't been paid in months, same case for the workers, not even the water/electricity bills have not paid.

How sad for the once proud club, seeming on its last knees, when it took on Europe and won (albeit resulted in a similar financial problem), to end up like this.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Yeah, the Parma situation is both ridiculous in the way its been handled and incredibly sad for a club that is well supported by many. I think the first time the club was sold for the princely sum of €1.00 was the biggest indicator of massive trouble, nevertheless the second time. Personally, I'd rather buy a snack for €1.00 than a football club, even though it is Parma. One has to wonder what's in Parma's future. At the moment, relegation is almost certain. Will the club even survive? Should the FIGC take some of the blame for allowing the events at the Enzo Tardini take place? Will the players strike the next time Parma can actually pay for a game, if at all? What will happen to the whole image of calcio in Italy?

Meanwhile in La Liga, Real Madrid keep trying to throw the title away. I could care less. I care more about the soon impending scandal to erupt if the Spanish government doesn't pass a law that legalizes collective bargaining before El Clasico. There are quite a few clubs who want a decent TV rights deal, Atlético and Valencia, 2 of the best sides in the whole league, included. There appears to be plans of a boycott of the fixtures in week 28 to try and shut down El Clasico to prove a point. I don't believe this will happen, but in Spain, there are a lot of pissed off individuals that want money after seeing the English PL pull off an absolutely massive TV deal, which sees last place in the PL earn more than most Spanish teams.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

go_Rubens wrote:I think the first time the club was sold for the princely sum of €1.00 was the biggest indicator of massive trouble, nevertheless the second time. Personally, I'd rather buy a snack for €1.00 than a football club, even though it is Parma.

You joke, but if you went up to Parma's board and said "here's a euro, can I have the club" they'd say no. The way it works is the club agree to transfer the assets to the new owner. To stop any legal wrangling over who actually owns them, the new owner pays a nominal (or peppercorn) fee (usually £/$/€1) to ensure it's legally binding.

Usually, it's done on the premise that the new owner will invest X amount of money; in 2007, the late Sir Jack Hayward gave majority control of Wolves to Steve Morgan for £10, with the condition he invest £30m in the club.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Ataxia wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I think the first time the club was sold for the princely sum of €1.00 was the biggest indicator of massive trouble, nevertheless the second time. Personally, I'd rather buy a snack for €1.00 than a football club, even though it is Parma.

You joke, but if you went up to Parma's board and said "here's a euro, can I have the club" they'd say no. The way it works is the club agree to transfer the assets to the new owner. To stop any legal wrangling over who actually owns them, the new owner pays a nominal (or peppercorn) fee (usually £/$/€1) to ensure it's legally binding.

Usually, it's done on the premise that the new owner will invest X amount of money; in 2007, the late Sir Jack Hayward gave majority control of Wolves to Steve Morgan for £10, with the condition he invest £30m in the club.

That's a fair point to bring up. Although perhaps I could have used more detail to bring up what I was actually thinking, which was if I was a rich businessman, I'm not sure if I'd want to get into the mess. I'd rather keep my reputation intact instead of mess things up more if I was in the same position.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

David AGS

Post by David AGS »

Also, could have been you can buy the club for a small fee, but for your info, the club is 200m in debt.
Miserable Thierry (Boutsen) staggers round mostly on ten cylinders (out of 12) with no clutch, low oil pressure, bad brakes and no grip to finish tenth, 3 laps down...

(Murray Walkers review of Boutsen's Brazil 1991 race).

Thats a point these days!
AdrianBelmonte_

Meanwhile, Copa del Rey final would be Athletic Bilbao-Barça, as the 2012 one, which is a very bad thing...

Domestic cups are for small clubs, have to be the paradise for underdogs (Mirandés here, and Bradford City in the UK are the best examples), not a military exhibition for the same 4-5 clubs

Also, Copa del Rey is, undoubtly, the most rejectful cup on football, HOW THE FEDERATION ISN'T PICKED AN STADIUM FOR THE FINAL YET? it's absolutely ridiculous, we are the laughingstock of Europe in this regard
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Meanwhile, Copa del Rey final would be Athletic Bilbao-Barça, as the 2012 one, which is a very bad thing...

Domestic cups are for small clubs, have to be the paradise for underdogs (Mirandés here, and Bradford City in the UK are the best examples), not a military exhibition for the same 4-5 clubs

Also, Copa del Rey is, undoubtly, the most rejectful cup on football, HOW THE FEDERATION ISN'T PICKED AN STADIUM FOR THE FINAL YET? it's absolutely ridiculous, we are the laughingstock of Europe in this regard

I choose the Bernabeu or San Memes :D
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Full credit to Brendan Rodgers for turning our season around. We looked dead and buried after November when all the Mancs were laughing at us. We've come back since to be 12 games unbeaten in the league and be in contention for the FA cup and a top 3 finish is believable again. YNWA
AdrianBelmonte_

watka wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Meanwhile, Copa del Rey final would be Athletic Bilbao-Barça, as the 2012 one, which is a very bad thing...

What about the Cartuja Olympic one in Sevilla? It was constructed for both Betis and Sevilla and now remains used only for minor football events and some minor music events, and it costed 120 million euros back in '99, all of them are public funds, the biggest white elephant in Andalusia

Here are some pics

#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
watka wrote:

What about the Cartuja Olympic one in Sevilla? It was constructed for both Betis and Sevilla and now remains used only for minor football events and some minor music events, and it costed 120 million euros back in '99, all of them are public funds, the biggest white elephant in Andalusia

Here are some pics

I always thought it was some kind of national athletics when I was younger.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Full credit to Brendan Rodgers for turning our season around. We looked dead and buried after November when all the Mancs were laughing at us. We've come back since to be 12 games unbeaten in the league and be in contention for the FA cup and a top 3 finish is believable again. YNWA

If the Premier League began on New Year's Day, the table would look like this:

Liverpool 21
Arsenal 19
Chelsea 17
Manchester United 17
Stoke City 17
Tottenham Hotspur 16
Southampton 16
Manchester City 15
Crystal Palace 14
West Bromwich Albion 13
Swansea City 12
Hull City 11
Newcastle United 9
West Ham United 8
Everton 7
Sunderland 6
Burnley 6
Leicester City 5
QPR 4
Aston Villa 4

Most notable things are City in 8th, Stoke in 5th, Villa bottom, Palace/West Brom 9th and 10th, and not least Liverpool and Arsenal heading the way. Based on 2015 form, no one will want to play either Liverpool, Arsenal, or Chelsea, whereas everyone else has made more mistakes (Chelsea were arguably screwed out of a home win against Burnley though with the afwul refereeing that day). Coutinho scoring wondergoals for fun and Henderson filling Gerrard's role nicely have helped out as well as Daniel Sturridge finally returning. The Reds probably have a run to Wembley going as well in the Cup. As long as Arsenal are knocked out of the FA Cup, it should be fairly easy sailing for Liverpool.

I personally can't wait until either one of Rodgers or Garry Monk gets an England job. I think the two of them are the best English managers at the moment. At this point, and for a long while now, Hodgson is some old f*** with absolutely no clue.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

AdrianBelmonte_

go_Rubens wrote:I personally can't wait until either one of Rodgers or Garry Monk gets an England job. I think the two of them are the best English managers at the moment. At this point, and for a long while now, Hodgson is some old f*** with absolutely no clue.

Probably after what am going to say everybody wants to kill me, but why not a foreign manager for England?
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:
go_Rubens wrote:I personally can't wait until either one of Rodgers or Garry Monk gets an England job. I think the two of them are the best English managers at the moment. At this point, and for a long while now, Hodgson is some old f*** with absolutely no clue.

Probably after what am going to say everybody wants to kill me, but why not a foreign manager for England?

Well, it could be a possibility, but I don't think the English FA would take to that very well. Over in America we have Jurgen Klinsmann; while he's not a bad manager, the way he slanders the MLS and puts it in a wrong place is somewhat disheartening (this coming from a dude who doesn't want to be here anyway). While he has a point that there should be more American players in Europe, where competition is always of higher standard, he also claims that MLS is not where national team players should be to retain such a standard. Yeah, MLS ain't a world beater. But it's weird how Klinsmann prefers to play young, inexperienced Americans from the reserve benches of Bundesliga teams or elsewhere instead of the better, more experienced players in MLS, simply because they've played in Europe. Ever since the WC, the national side has been complete shite. He's played younger players on reserve benches. What the hell do you f***ing expect Jurgen?!

Besides, there are English managers more than capable to have the England job. Just about any English manager is better than good old Roy. Rodgers would at least play the players that would do well. He's also a bloody tactical genius. Liverpool's recent resurgence and the whole oflast season says everything you need to know. Garry Monk knows how to get his team to play attractive, useful football. Yeah, Bony left Swansea, but they can still play very well. Yet Hodgson (is?) grooming Gary Neville to be the next England man? Why? Is there a point? I've seen no proof that Neville is the right guy. He's just been a sidekick coach. He isn't the one making the calls. If he's taking lessons from Roy Hodgson of all bloody people, England may as well be screwed for the next however many years it turns out to be. The English FA really messed up simply by not sacking the bloke! Yet they're listening to Roy's request for an extension to the 2018 WC? Why?!
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool

roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

We have had a foreign manager, Sven-Göran Eriksson.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

roblomas52 wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:

I think you've forgotten about Capello as well...

The issue is that English players don't care enough about the national team. I've been reading Simon Kuper's "The Football Men" (great book, give it a read) and within one of the chapters he was analysing the autobiographies of Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard. I think Gerrard's said something to the effect of "if I have a bad game for England, I thank god I didn't give that performance for Liverpool".

The issue is there's a lot of focus on players as individuals, rather than working together as a team, and that can be quite a toxic atmosphere to play under. Look at Germany for instance; the players are individually talented, but the reason they just have that bit extra is because they're all team players.

Plus, another thing is that Germany have been building their national team under the same ethos since 2004; fine, the World Cup in 2002 saw Die Mannschaft reach the final, but the team was significantly understrength, and perhaps were flattered by some poor opposition. When Klinsmann and Loew took charge, they sought to better the national team by building from the roots up; they worked on getting the younger players they needed to make the team a success. It's definitely worked; once Klinsmann left the set up, Loew became the national coach with the minimum of disruption, since he was partially responsible for the overall setup anyway. Changes in style have been incremental rather than radical, and so only tweaks have been required.

England in comparison like to throw the baby out with the bathwater. When Capello came in after McClaren got the boot, he made the right waves; he dropped some of the older players and looked at bringing in younger players who could work as a team far more adeptly. However, they started tentatively in the 2010 World Cup...and the toxic British media jumped on them. Had Capello been afforded more time, perhaps they could have built something, but the FA's mountain of bureaucracy denied him the chance to shape the squad in the way he wanted (he left after his request for John Terry's captaincy to be rescinded was denied).

The FA NEED to come up with a long-term plan for success. There's all that TV money being pumped into the PL clubs; they should ensure that teams spend some of it on the development of youth. Bring in a manager who's got a proven track record when it comes to building for the future, and give them the tools to do their job properly. A bit of foresight is needed rather than making knee-jerk decisions.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by shinji »

Also feel it needs to be said that Rodgers isn't English, he's Northern Irish...
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Ataxia wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Probably after what am going to say everybody wants to kill me, but why not a foreign manager for England?

Good point well made.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:

AdrianBelmonte_

Ataxia wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:
AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:Probably after what am going to say everybody wants to kill me, but why not a foreign manager for England?

I mean a GOOD foreign manager
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:I mean a GOOD foreign manager

And why would a good foreign manager want to waste their time with such a comedy of errors Football Association? There are countries with less ridiculous FA's to manage....

Image Image
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AdrianBelmonte_ wrote:I mean a GOOD foreign manager

Fabio Capello has by far the highest percentage of wins compared to any previous England manager; England won 66.7% of the games they played under his management. Fine, he only coached the team for 42 matches; far fewer games than the next man down (Sir Alf Ramsey) but what's interesting to note that Roy Hodgson has currently won 56.8% of his 37 games in charge.

To stand there and say Capello isn't a good manager is stupid; go and look at the results he's managed over his career. The way the British media and the FA treated him is ridiculous.
go_Rubens

Post by go_Rubens »

A little bit more luck and Schalke would deservingly be going through to the quarterfinals of the Champions League over Real Madrid. Real Madrid was a shambles today. Well, at least Ronaldo wasn't dropped, or else they'd have been completely screwed today and screwed for the competition.
Felipe Baby, Stay Cool