2015 Australian GP Discussion Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
AdrianBelmonte_

Re: 2015 Australian GP Discussion Thread

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

gnrpoison wrote:Sauber 4th in Constructors, a bit surprising after the earlier problems and what happened last year.

Right, what a race for Van der Garde, oh wait...
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
johnston21

Post by johnston21 »

...and did you notice Arnold chatting with Toto on the grid before the race start? lol "We're baaaack"

...Best podium interview, ever! :D
Last edited by johnston21 on 15 Mar 2015, 07:16, edited 3 times in total.
Paul Hayes

Post by Paul Hayes »

Poor old Button, all that effort and one short of a point!
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

A Brit flanked by two Germans, better to not mention... *gets shot*
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
sswishbone

Post by sswishbone »

THIS... IS... NOT... HAPPENING....!!!
"Hispania are a waste of talent and petrol!" Martin Brundle, Australia Qualifying 2011

Live streams and podcasts from yours truly at http://www.youtube.com/user/sswishbone
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Arnold Schwarzenegger WTF? Hamilton's reaction, though! :lol:
#FreeGonzo
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

So pleased for Sauber and Nasr especially. I saw this dude back in 2012 in GP2 and thought, he could be a real success story if he gets to F1. Now he has done, he achieved a great debut result and although I'm sure that will be his best finish for the year, if he keeps this up he is in for a big career.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Hamilton appears to have eclipsed Vettel as the biggest heel in F1 in Australian eyes. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AdrianBelmonte_

Post by AdrianBelmonte_ »

"I'LL BE BACK"
#FoxesFansHooligans

#HaasShouldBeSoLucky
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Julien wrote:3) The sport became so artificial that the drivers became more like engineers rather than the heroes. All the gadgets, the adjustments etc. mean that F1 is now 80% about the car and 20% about the drivers. Don't tell me that Vettel and Raikkonen are 1 second slower than Hamilton and Rosberg, or that Button couldn't do better than 17th on the grid...

That's always been the case though...
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

That was a good race. And a race with actual unreliablity, which is good! It's been how many years since a race finished with only 11 cars exactly?

A good race by both the Mercedes boys. It seemed Hamilton was toying Rosberg though, which makes me worried. Ferrari seems to have the 2nd best car, on pair with Williams. Which makes me sad, since Alonso left there because he was driving shiteboxes.. And he's still driving a shitbox, with McLaren.

Such an impressive race by Nasr. Fantastic. Purelly amazing. That Sauber is one sleek car down the straights.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Hamilton's gold chain was a joke right? Or was he made Lord Mayor of Melbourne for winning the race? :roll:
Press_Play2002

Post by Press_Play2002 »

Spectoremg wrote:Hamilton's gold chain was a joke right? Or was he made Lord Mayor of Melbourne for winning the race? :roll:

Probably both; Temporarily though.
tumblr: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/n0tab0x1871 TARTZ: http://truefalse1989.deviantart.com/
"I think Press_Play2002 is on a downward spiral and has lost it completely"
~Mark WebberNot a real quote by the way
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

That was exactly as as I feared and I did indeed fast forward through most of it. 15 starters was pathetic.

If I wanted to watch an uncompetitive farce of a race with not many starters and one dominant team, I've got WTCC. God, even Formula E is better now. A sad state of affairs.
mario

Post by mario »

Miguel98 wrote:That was a good race. And a race with actual unreliablity, which is good! It's been how many years since a race finished with only 11 cars exactly?

A good race by both the Mercedes boys. It seemed Hamilton was toying Rosberg though, which makes me worried. Ferrari seems to have the 2nd best car, on pair with Williams. Which makes me sad, since Alonso left there because he was driving shiteboxes.. And he's still driving a shitbox, with McLaren.

Such an impressive race by Nasr. Fantastic. Purelly amazing. That Sauber is one sleek car down the straights.

I have to agree that it did look as if Hamilton was simply pacing himself against Rosberg for much of the race - the fact that, whenever Rosberg began to close in on him, Hamilton could always open the gap back up again, suggests that Hamilton was holding back for much of the race. If Hamilton can unleash that sort of performance more regularly, Rosberg will need to dig very deep to find something to match him with.

As for other quarters, the open discontent Red Bull has with Renault is almost painful to listen to, especially when you have Horner saying "I have no idea how they have managed to **** it up so badly" to camera. If Renault continue to be smashed this badly, I honestly have to wonder what it will do for Renault's long term prospects in the sport - their public image is taking a battering and the financial costs of the new engine format are going to be a drain on resources too.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Miguel98 wrote:That was a good race. And a race with actual unreliablity, which is good! It's been how many years since a race finished with only 11 cars exactly?

Did you see the same procession that I did?
mario

Post by mario »

There is at least one positive from Horner's public complaints, which is the fact that Toto Wolff has given very short shrift to Horner's comments and responded in the way that I imagine most of us would like to tell Horner to. His response to Horner is simply "I think just get your f***ing head down, work hard and try to sort it out." http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/sto ... ixqWYxR.99
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I'm pretty sure Sauber had their best season start of all their story.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Dj_bereta wrote:I'm pretty sure Sauber had their best season start of all their story.

Nope. 2001, Heidfeld P4, Raikkonen P6.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

Salamander wrote:
Dj_bereta wrote:I'm pretty sure Sauber had their best season start of all their story.

Nope. 2001, Heidfeld P4, Raikkonen P6.

Nasr was great but I wasn't impressed with Ericsson to be honest. He's had his bottom handed to him by a rookie in both qualifying and the race and was a bit scrappy during the race too. His early pitstop may have cost him though.

Bit worrying from a championship point of view that Hamilton had Rosberg easily covered. Rosberg now seems to have the mentality that he is inferior and must somehow try every trick in the book to knock Hamilton off his perch rather than believing in his own natural talents.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

watka wrote:Bit worrying from a championship point of view that Hamilton had Rosberg easily covered. Rosberg now seems to have the mentality that he is inferior and must somehow try every trick in the book to knock Hamilton off his perch rather than believing in his own natural talents.

Well, it's true.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

watka wrote:Bit worrying from a championship point of view that Hamilton had Rosberg easily covered. Rosberg now seems to have the mentality that he is inferior and must somehow try every trick in the book to knock Hamilton off his perch rather than believing in his own natural talents.

I only saw one short interview with him after the race and his words and body language were that of a beaten man, which seemed quite unusual for Rosberg, normally its Hamilton acting like the sky's about to fall on him after a bad race. I'm sure he'll pick himself up but we all know most of his championship challenge last year came about through Hamiltons misfortune. I really think the only person that could beat Hamilton at the moment would be Fernando Alonso in a decent-ish car and well....
Just For One Day...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

mario wrote:

I have to agree that it did look as if Hamilton was simply pacing himself against Rosberg for much of the race - the fact that, whenever Rosberg began to close in on him, Hamilton could always open the gap back up again, suggests that Hamilton was holding back for much of the race. If Hamilton can unleash that sort of performance more regularly, Rosberg will need to dig very deep to find something to match him with.

As for other quarters, the open discontent Red Bull has with Renault is almost painful to listen to, especially when you have Horner saying "I have no idea how they have managed to **** it up so badly" to camera. If Renault continue to be smashed this badly, I honestly have to wonder what it will do for Renault's long term prospects in the sport - their public image is taking a battering and the financial costs of the new engine format are going to be a drain on resources too.

Well NBC is reporting Renault wants to buy Toro Rosso? And that RBR is pulling a Ferrari and threatening a pullout. I must say though Marko is right, when Vetted was winning, everything was getting banned (diffusers, engine maps etc). And he never won by this much. Now that Mercedes is crushing all, it's just oh well? Seems odd.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Wallio wrote: Well NBC is reporting Renault wants to buy Toro Rosso? And that RBR is pulling a Ferrari and threatening a pullout. I must say though Marko is right, when Vetted was winning, everything was getting banned (diffusers, engine maps etc). And he never won by this much. Now that Mercedes is crushing all, it's just oh well? Seems odd.

Well, what can they ban? They did away with FRIC last year and that changed nothing.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

F1000X wrote:
Wallio wrote: Well NBC is reporting Renault wants to buy Toro Rosso? And that RBR is pulling a Ferrari and threatening a pullout. I must say though Marko is right, when Vetted was winning, everything was getting banned (diffusers, engine maps etc). And he never won by this much. Now that Mercedes is crushing all, it's just oh well? Seems odd.

Well, what can they ban? They did away with FRIC last year and that changed nothing.

They could ban Mercedes for cheating. Suppose the FIA "discovered" some "illegal" software on the car...
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
F1000X wrote:Well, what can they ban? They did away with FRIC last year and that changed nothing.

They could ban Mercedes for cheating. Suppose the FIA "discovered" some "illegal" software on the car...

Well, that would have been one thing that the FIA definitely could not have discovered on the Manor cars last weekend...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

F1000X wrote:Well, what can they ban? They did away with FRIC last year and that changed nothing.

Oh, so that's why I haven't heard Hamilton say that recently.
Just For One Day...
mario

Post by mario »

Wallio wrote:
mario wrote:

Well NBC is reporting Renault wants to buy Toro Rosso? And that RBR is pulling a Ferrari and threatening a pullout. I must say though Marko is right, when Vetted was winning, everything was getting banned (diffusers, engine maps etc). And he never won by this much. Now that Mercedes is crushing all, it's just oh well? Seems odd.

As F1000X points out, the FRIC ban last year seemed to be targeted at Mercedes, but that had a fairly negligible impact on them (you have to say that Lotus who were worst affected by the ban).

In the case of Red Bull, there was often one specific item where it was clear that they had an advantage. In the case of Mercedes, there is no one specific thing that you can identify about the W06 - their engine advantage is not so clear cut (Williams have said that they think Ferrari's engine is pretty close to Mercedes's engine now), and there is no single aero piece that is particularly distinguishing; it's more the case of a series of well optimised components rather than a particular distinctive feature, and you can't rule against that.

Furthermore, I also have something of an issue when Horner complains about the rule changes he claims were made to hobble Red Bull. His quote is:
When we were winning, and we were never winning to the advantage that they have, I remember that double diffusers were banned, exhausts were moved, flexible bodywork was prohibited, engine mapping mid-season was changed … anything was done, and that wasn't just unique to Red Bull but Williams in previous years and McLaren etc.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/194721.html

The thing is, Red Bull were the leading campaigners behind the move to get double diffusers banned, because they were hoping to gain a massive competitive advantage if that was banned.

As for the prohibition on flexible bodywork, technically that has always been banned and so it could be argued that the FIA was simply enforcing existing legislation against Red Bull - equally, Red Bull were not the only team that the FIA took action against, as McLaren were also under scrutiny for their front wing design in that era too.

As for the engine maps, it depends which ones you talk about, because whilst some hit Red Bull hard, some also hit their rivals just as hard, if not harder (especially the bans on hot blowing, which only really affected Ferrari and Mercedes).
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

mario wrote:As F1000X points out, the FRIC ban last year seemed to be targeted at Mercedes, but that had a fairly negligible impact on them (you have to say that Lotus who were worst affected by the ban).

In the case of Red Bull, there was often one specific item where it was clear that they had an advantage. In the case of Mercedes, there is no one specific thing that you can identify about the W06 - their engine advantage is not so clear cut (Williams have said that they think Ferrari's engine is pretty close to Mercedes's engine now), and there is no single aero piece that is particularly distinguishing; it's more the case of a series of well optimised components rather than a particular distinctive feature, and you can't rule against that.

Furthermore, I also have something of an issue when Horner complains about the rule changes he claims were made to hobble Red Bull. His quote is:
When we were winning, and we were never winning to the advantage that they have, I remember that double diffusers were banned, exhausts were moved, flexible bodywork was prohibited, engine mapping mid-season was changed … anything was done, and that wasn't just unique to Red Bull but Williams in previous years and McLaren etc.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/194721.html

The thing is, Red Bull were the leading campaigners behind the move to get double diffusers banned, because they were hoping to gain a massive competitive advantage if that was banned.

As for the prohibition on flexible bodywork, technically that has always been banned and so it could be argued that the FIA was simply enforcing existing legislation against Red Bull - equally, Red Bull were not the only team that the FIA took action against, as McLaren were also under scrutiny for their front wing design in that era too.

As for the engine maps, it depends which ones you talk about, because whilst some hit Red Bull hard, some also hit their rivals just as hard, if not harder (especially the bans on hot blowing, which only really affected Ferrari and Mercedes).

Sure, Renault is a bit behind to say the least, but I believe that is not the whole story. Horner's constant bitching about engines and Renault's poor job seems to be deflecting attentions from the fact that, now with Newey involved in other stuff, Red Bull seemed to have dropped the ball this year. If there is one strange thing that is been happening ever since pre-season testing is that STR looks to be the closest it has been to RBR since 08. I mean, how long has been since both STR out qualified a Red Bull car on merit alone? Even despite this being their youngest and most inexperienced driver pairing ever. Toro Rosso even seem to be ahead of both Sauber and Force India, not to mention Lotus, on pure pace alone despite their apparent engine deficit.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

DanielPT wrote:
Sure, Renault is a bit behind to say the least, but I believe that is not the whole story. Horner's constant bitching about engines and Renault's poor job seems to be deflecting attentions from the fact that, now with Newey involved in other stuff, Red Bull seemed to have dropped the ball this year. If there is one strange thing that is been happening ever since pre-season testing is that STR looks to be the closest it has been to RBR since 08. I mean, how long has been since both STR out qualified a Red Bull car on merit alone? Even despite this being their youngest and most inexperienced driver pairing ever. Toro Rosso even seem to be ahead of both Sauber and Force India, not to mention Lotus, on pure pace alone despite their apparent engine deficit.

A lot has been made of the drivability of the Red Bull and when I think of drivability, the first thing that comes to mind is "tyres" not "engine". I imagine that power delivery, especially with ERS, is still a pretty big problem with Renault, but it can't be the whole problem. Last season it was evident that Red Bull had a fundamentally good car but it was let down by the power unit. It's probably too early to say, but early indications are that the same could not be said for this year's car. If anything, Red Bull were quite possibly happy that Kvyat didn't race because he could have been embarrassingly off the pace.
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
Warren Hughes

Post by Warren Hughes »

I enjoyed the Oz GP to be honest, with the exception of the non-battle for the win. I only watched the BBC highlights on Sunday evening though, maybe if I'd seen the whole thing - at 5 in the morning - I might not have been quite so entertained.

Agree with those who say Rosberg looks a beaten man before the season's really got going. Remember the interview from early last season: "Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one" - well it's happened, and Nico doesn't look like he has the answers.
Nico Rosberg wrote:Break me down mentally? Good luck with that one.

:roll:
Shizuka

Post by Shizuka »

Here's Formel1.de's comparison of the best lap times from the teams in 2014 and 2015:

Code: Select all

14:03   RaikkonenPlsCare   There's some water in water
Jick Magger

Post by Jick Magger »

I wonder if McLaren are going to follow Rosberg's fine example and invite all the other Formula One Teams to their accident debfrief. Hmm, I wonder!
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Shizuka wrote:Here's Formel1.de's comparison of the best lap times from the teams in 2014 and 2015:

...which, in turn, put McLaren further off the pace in Melbourne this year than Caterham were last year...

Don't worry, Ron, I've got some leftover green paint to make your cars look more authentic. And a bit of white so you can paint "This could be YOU" on the sidepods...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

dinizintheoven wrote:
Shizuka wrote:Here's Formel1.de's comparison of the best lap times from the teams in 2014 and 2015:

...which, in turn, put McLaren further off the pace in Melbourne this year than Caterham were last year...

Don't worry, Ron, I've got some leftover green paint to make your cars look more authentic. And a bit of white so you can paint "This could be YOU" on the sidepods...

Regardless, one has to celebrate how McLaren went backwards and, with all the courage in the world and in the face of no real reject teams on the grid, decided to pick up the reject banner and wave it for everyone to see the reject spirit is still very much alive in F1. Heartwarming stuff!

In other news, Alonso might not be in an hurry to drive this year.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Collieafc

Post by Collieafc »

Alonso must want to throw the remote at the telly every time he sees Vettel now. Ferrari, although not winning, appear to have made improvements while McLaren may be bottom of the pile - wonder of the bookies will take odds on premature retirement?
DanielPT wrote:Life usually expires after 400 meters and always before reaching 2 laps or so. In essence, Life is short.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

Collieafc wrote:Alonso must want to throw the remote at the telly every time he sees Vettel now. Ferrari, although not winning, appear to have made improvements while McLaren may be bottom of the pile - wonder of the bookies will take odds on premature retirement?

Oh great, because I needed even more people to ask when I will run an Alonso ragequit RNG. :?
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Collieafc wrote:Alonso must want to throw the remote at the telly every time he sees Vettel now. Ferrari, although not winning, appear to have made improvements while McLaren may be bottom of the pile - wonder of the bookies will take odds on premature retirement?

Interesting observation; 33 years old and in a team that's going absolutely nowhere.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Spectoremg wrote:

Interesting observation; 33 years old and in a team that's going absolutely nowhere.

A two-time world champion, in fact...
I'm standing up!
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!