The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: The Alessandro Zanardi IndyCar Thread

Post by Wallio »

nome66 wrote:

... like where? where in boston would they do that?

Around Boston Harbor apparently. As someone who lived in Boston for 4 1/2 years, I have no idea how any series could stage a race anywhere in the city.....but damn I want to see them try. I'll be going to that one for sure.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

The final run to the finish for last year's race. Let's hope we get something similar, IndyCar needs a good race this weekend.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Wallio wrote:
nome66 wrote:

... like where? where in boston would they do that?

Around Boston Harbor apparently. As someone who lived in Boston for 4 1/2 years, I have no idea how any series could stage a race anywhere in the city.....but damn I want to see them try. I'll be going to that one for sure.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11703 ... d-for-2016

Well, here is the layout.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

big ol' square with some fiddles..... i dig it.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Vautier qualifies the Coyne #19, then gets replaced by Davison, and then replaces Carlos Huertas in the Coyne #18.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11705 ... n-at-coyne

COYNE SHENANIGANS I SAY! About time they are last, but I find it nuts. THIS IS NOT CART, COYNE!!!!
(Wait, what happens with Vautier's European race?)
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Why are you angry about Dale Coyne? They're the Minardi of IndyCar.
Everything's great.
wmetcalf7 4

Post by wmetcalf7 4 »

Reject_Dom wrote:(Wait, what happens with Vautier's European race?)

Well, to be honest, if I had the choice of doing the Indy 500 or some sportscar race in Europe, I think I know which one I'd pick :P
#GetWellWickens
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

It's a shame to see Lazier out.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

One of the most rejectful moments in Indycar history. 1995 Bump day....

https://youtu.be/TjH2113kvmE
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

roblomas52 wrote:
Wallio wrote:
nome66 wrote:... like where? where in boston would they do that?

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11703 ... d-for-2016

Well, here is the layout.

IndyCar is going to Southie? Things must have changed a lot in 20 years!
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Before the Indy 500 prerace, ABC had a plutocrap show on, and talked about the race. The host flat out asked "They have been running this race for 99 years now, why are the cars still crashing?"

I nearly destroyed my very expensive TV.

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

We've had two pace laps and already two Honda cars have shat themselves. Tags didn't even get off the grid, and Daly's pulled off with a fire. It's gonna be one of those races. :P

EDIT: And Karam, Briscoe and Sato have wrecked on the first lap. :L
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Only took 1/4 of a lap for Sato to get bored. 4 cars out after 1 lap...

EDIT: Swiss Miss tags JPM, and the caution continues. Tony George has an 8-ft erection, as FINALLY Jeff Gordon is the man with the most laps led at Indy......

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Special Ed, that move was not gonna work in a month of Sundays. :|

EDIT: All three Dale Coyne cars got into each other in the pitlane. This would be kekworthy, but a crew member for Vautier's car is down. Hope he's OK, it was a nasty hit.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

TK's shitty Indy 500 luck returns with a vengeance. Went low at turn 3, couldn't catch the wiggle, and backed it hard into the wall. Such a shame.

Upshot of this though is that Charlie Kimball's now in a position to fight for the win. :D
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Huge wreck with 30 to go. This is getting sloppy. Mad props for TK'S "we don't always flip" line, that was awesome. Also great to see karma bite Simon in the are after he was whining about Power racing him. Hope the Coyne crewman is ok, the lack of updates is worrying.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Wallio wrote: Also great to see karma bite Simon in the are after he was whining about Power racing him

To be fair, it was a bit harsh given that they're teammates and not that far into the race.

Wallio wrote:Hope the Coyne crewman is ok, the lack of updates is worrying.

One has been released, one has been taken to the local hospital for evaluation, I believe.
Everything's great.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Good to here, hopefully the one taken to hospital is just for observation.

Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

JPM wins! :D
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Montoya's a two-time Indy 500 winner! :D
#FreeGonzo
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Good race, Sato finished only 6 seconds behind... if only he hadn't had lost those two laps!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'm really happy to see Charlie Kimball finish 3rd today. I'm off to a barbeque tomorrow in a town neighbouring his birth town!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

Managed to catch that last 15 lap green period after the caution. Nice finish to the race, and I'm happy to see Montoya win as well. His last move on Dixon was CLOSE!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

It was a REALLY good race, but I expected it to be so.
As most others here, I'm pleased with Kimball getting 3rd. Albeit a ride buyer, he can't possibly be a more down-to-earth, fun guy.

My guy Newgarden finally got a good finish in Indiana getting 9th, his previous best in the state was a 17th.
Graham Rahal also deserves a mention at least. The best Honda driver again with blistering performances so far this year. Albeit I'm neutral on him (maybe jealous, because Courtney Force...) and downright hate his father, credit has to be given where it's due.

Hopefully, as Briscoe has to race in Corvettes soon, Schmidt will get Wilson until Hinch recovers.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:It was a REALLY good race, but I expected it to be so.
As most others here, I'm pleased with Kimball getting 3rd. Albeit a ride buyer, he can't possibly be a more down-to-earth, fun guy.

Yes but he's an AMERICAN ride buyer, that makes it ok, just ask Tony George ;)

Montoya proves that he really has MASSIVE amounts of talent. Too bad it only comes out on occasions. He is also the last active hope for the "Triple Crown". That move on Dixon, when even your spotter is surprised ("You're clear?!?") you know it was a damn fine move.

Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Also noteworthy that Rahal, Briscoe and Sato also had a good jump up the field. Also Pagenaud in the final stint, by 11 places IIRC.

And obviously Montoya. Great race, great win! ;)
Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Looks like Conor Daly is in the #5 for Belle Isle. I think Wilson is a better choice, but Daly being given a break is nice.

Afaik, a certain moderator will like the decision. :D
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I watched the entire race. Montoya did an amazing job, deserved the victory.

Well, I'm going to give my ROTR for Dale Coyne. One pitstop, two cars out.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

I can't believe Indycar officials stopped the race because of rain. :( I would love to see this race in wet conditions.

Congrats for Munoz, clever strategy of the Andretti team and he drove very well.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Detroit race 1 just called due to rain and lightning(in the 'too-close' zone) at more than halfway, Congratulations to Carlos Munoz on a well deserved first career win! and to Marco Andretti on the podium after some sketchy tire-strategy calls at the hands of himself(and finally pitted at the word of his dad).
i only caught the second half of the broadcast (before the call) from about lap 24 up to the final red flag, so i'm not actually sure who would make a good ROTR.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

nome66 wrote:i only caught the second half of the broadcast (before the call) from about lap 24 up to the final red flag, so i'm not actually sure who would make a good ROTR.

That should be very easy - the strategists who handed Andretti that 1-2 finish by insisting drivers pit for wet tyres despite the track clearly not being wet enough. By the time the pitstops cycled through, Munoz had half a minute on Andretti and Pagenaud, who had another half minute on Power and Dixon. Utterly ridiculous that so many teams made such a horrific blunder.
Everything's great.
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

nome66 wrote:i only caught the second half of the broadcast (before the call) from about lap 24 up to the final red flag, so i'm not actually sure who would make a good ROTR.

Debris cautions.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Rabbi Gordon wrote:

Debris cautions.

I didn't catch the first 30 or so laps, but were they really that bad that it overshadowed everybody effectively giving up the top 3 places to Munoz, Andretti and Pagenaud through such fundamental strategy errors on a level comparable to Ferrari sending Raikkonen out on wets on a bone dry track in Malaysia 2009?
Everything's great.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Qualify for the second race was dropped due the rain. The biggest loser is Karam, who was the fastest in the group 2 qualify.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Red flag at Detroit with 6 laps to go after Power took himself and Castroneves out of the race. This isn't the first case of team mates tangling today, after Kimball accidently moved over on Dixon after Power got wheelspin out of turn 3, which ended up with Dixon buried in the tyres.

Bourdais vs Sato vs Rahal vs Montoya, and they're all marginal on fuel. This is gonna be an insane ending.

Finally, IndyCar needs to park Sage Karam. Chap's been driving like an utter tool today. :facepalm:
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

Dale Coyne Racing gets a 4th place finish in an unsponsored car with a driver who, albeit talented, could never finish better than 10th before.
From last place on the grid too.

Bourdais being Bourdais set the fastest lap in the final one without anyone closing behind him and ran out of fuel snowboating moments later.

Londoner

Post by Londoner »

JPM runs out of fuel, hits Chaves, classified 10th, and still ends up increasing his championship lead. They do say you make your own luck sometimes, but that's insane. :P

Nice to see a Coyne, both Foyts and the Herta entry in the top 10.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

What a race. Pretty good stuff! I hope Indycar don't punish Valtier because of his contact with Power.

For ROTR, I give it to Chip Ganassi: Kimball wrecked Dixon, Kannan was anonymous and Karam tried to wreck Hawksworth two times in turn three.
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Surprisingly decent races in Detroit, color me astonished.
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

Here are the Mario Andretti Road & Street Course Trophy points standings of the Verizon IndyCar Series after the double-header at Detroit's Belle Isle in 2015:

Juan Pablo Montoya 214
Will Power 213
Helio Castroneves 205
Sebastien Bourdais 190
Graham Rahal 186
Scott Dixon 185
Marco Andretti 168
Tony Kanaan 163
Josef Newgarden 162
Carlos Muñoz 159
Simon Pagenaud 152
Ryan Hunter-Reay 141
Takuma Sato 132
James Hinchcliffe 129
Luca Filippi 120
Charlie Kimball 116
Jack Hawksworth 116
James Jakes 108
Gabby Chaves (R) 105
Stefano Coletti (R) 94
Sage Karam (R) 67
Conor Daly (R) 53
Tristan Vautier (R) 45
Francesco Dracone (R) 38
Sebastian Saavedra 33
Carlos Huertas 31
Rodolfo Gonzalez (R) 10
JR Hildebrand 9
Justin Wilson 6

And these are the points standings of the A. J. Foyt Oval Track Trophy after Fort Worth's TMS in 2015:

Juan Pablo Montoya 134
Scott Dixon 120
Will Power 100
Charlie Kimball 98
Marco Andretti 87
Helio Castroneves 81
Graham Rahal 75
Simona de Silvestro 66
Simon Pagenaud 61
Ryan Briscoe 60
Sebastien Bourdais 54
Josef Newgarden 53
Tony Kanaan 52
Carlos Muñoz 49
Justin Wilson 49
Takuma Sato 48
Gabby Chaves (R) 48
JR Hildebrand 48
James Jakes 47
Ryan Hunter-Reay 42
Townsend Bell 32
Pippa Mann 29
Sage Karam (R) 28
Alex Tagliani 27
Stefano Coletti (R) 21
Conor Daly (R) 20
Tristan Vautier (R) 20
Jack Hawksworth 19
Ed Carpenter 18
Rodolfo Gonzalez (R) 17
Sebastian Saavedra 14
Bryan Clauson (R) 10
James Davison (R) 10
Oriol Servia 10
Buddy Lazier 0

The Indy 500 race paid double points this year but the Indy 500 qualifying did not. That is why, in the Foyt oval points standings, I could not remove the double points, which I would have liked to do, since double points are a gimmick, imho.
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."