Reject of the Race - Canada 2015

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
tc3j3r

Reject of the Race - Canada 2015

Post by tc3j3r »

Romain Grosjean for his sheer arrogance in expecting Stevens to vanish into thin air.
Rob Dylan

Re: Reject of the Race - Canada 2015

Post by Rob Dylan »

DRS. With a possible one or two exceptions, nobody made any attempt at a proper overtake throughout the race, due to the insane speed difference on the back straight with DRS. They didn't really have to try for those positions, and so accidents were at a minimum.

Honourable mention to the BBC commentary team. Maldonado HAS finished a race this year, I don't know why you keep saying he hasn't. Yes, your Hamilton bias is quite painful to have to endure over a race distance. Also, I don't think I've had to correct the commentators so many times since Korea 2010.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
A Very Coolman

Post by A Very Coolman »

Grosjean. That incident and his moaning afterwards.
"Damon Hill in the Arrows-Yamaha is higher [in place] than he ever has been!"
(About 15 seconds later)
"And Hill stops! As I say it. Ugh..."
-- Murray Walker, 1997 Spanish Grand Prix
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

Grosjean made a good case for it but ultimately I'll have to give it to McLaren. One step forward, 49 steps back.

Honorable mention goes to the Canadian Grand Prix. That was a very mediocre race at best especially for this track's standards.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kimi Raikkonen deserves a mention as well, for literally spinning away a podium position. And he did it on his own, and on fresh tires, and in front of packed stands. Good job.
Last edited by Dan B on 07 Jun 2015, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

McLaren, no doubt about that... And I hardly doubt Fernando is happy right now.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

David Coulthard - Jesus Christ stop bitching you whiny old man.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

The race itself - probably the worst Canadian Grand Prix. Nothing happened. Nobody did anything Reject-full so the race gets it.
good_Ralf

Post by good_Ralf »

Grosjean would be a good nomination, once again Lotus as a team fail to maximize their potential. McLaren are also a good shout, but I have to give the award to Daniel Ricciardo. Once again he is beaten by Kvyat and regarding that he achieved one of the drives of 2014 at CGV last year, today he was extremely mediocre.
Check out the position of the sun on 2 August at 20:08 in my garden

Allard Kalff in 1994 wrote:OH!! Schumacher in the wall! Right in front of us, Michael Schumacher is in the wall! He's hit the pitwall, he c... Ah, it's Jos Verstappen.
Dan B

Post by Dan B »

good_Ralf wrote:Grosjean would be a good nomination, once again Lotus as a team fail to maximize their potential. McLaren are also a good shout, but I have to give the award to Daniel Ricciardo. Once again he is beaten by Kvyat and regarding that he achieved one of the drives of 2014 at CGV last year, today he was extremely mediocre.

Y'know, I have completely forgot about Ricciardo. It was like he wasn't even in the race.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Raikkonen: Amateurish error from a champion is, at least, laughable.

Special mention for Grosjean. Lost important points for Lotus in a silly crash.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

McLaren - even more embarrassing than before, who would have thought that could happen?
Tank

Post by Tank »

1) Mclaren - keep looking forward to Austria Ron!

2) Grosjean - well that was a bit clumsy, wasn't it? :facepalm:
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Has to be Mclaren. After all that boasting about developments and Candace suiting them, they have by far their worse race all year.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
mario

Post by mario »

Dan B wrote:Grosjean made a good case for it but ultimately I'll have to give it to McLaren. One step forward, 49 steps back.

Honorable mention goes to the Canadian Grand Prix. That was a very mediocre race at best especially for this track's standards.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kimi Raikkonen deserves a mention as well, for literally spinning away a podium position. And he did it on his own, and on fresh tires, and in front of packed stands. Good job.

McLaren were pretty shocking today - they said this would be a track that exposed their flaws, and it certainly managed to do that. There are few positives to take from this - even Honda's "reliability" fixes just seemed to make the car more unreliable...

Ferrari, in some ways, had a somewhat poor race - Kimi probably could have kept Bottas behind him if he hadn't made that mistake, whilst Vettel's race was always a damage limitation exercise after those problems in qualifying and the problems at his first stop.

I also have to say that Grosjean was disappointing too - firstly for his disappointing clash with Stevens, and then the fact that, after that clash, for losing his cool and overdriving the car in an attempt to compensate (he was regularly overshooting his braking points and much more aggressive with his steering inputs after that clash).

Finally, Ricciardo does at least deserve a dishonourable mention - he looked out of sorts throughout this weekend, and just had no answer to either Kvyat or even to Sainz Jr.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

My nominations:

Canadian GP overhyping - OK, we get it, Montréal tends to throw up exciting races, that doesn't mean it always does. Not a bad race overall, but there have been better races this season.
McLaren - Still a very long way to go, I'm afraid.
Romain Grosjean - Yes, Stevens hit you, just like Villeneuve hit Schumacher at Jerez (Ok, it was a heat of the moment comment). Threw away a decent finish with that moment.
#FreeGonzo
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Raikkonen and Grosjean both deserve a mention for a pretty awful moments in the race

Red Bull as well for 2 points. Oh well done. after last years greatness as well!

But it goes to Mclaren for such a bad weekend!!! I cannot think of a worse one in RECENT history. Seriously.
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

Ben Edwards: blah blah the Massa/Perez crash blah blah...
Ron Dennis: Ron, you should have said some time ago that you've got a turkey for a car and stopped waffling.
Fetzie

Post by Fetzie »

McLaren. They say you sometimes have to take a step back to move forwards, but if they make many more steps back they'll be out-run by that marmot that wandered across the track about 25 laps in.

Closely followed by Romain "he hit me!" Grosjean.

Honourable mention:

The fuel limit. The last thing I want to -ing hear is "you need to lift and coast" or "you need to save fuel". This is Formula One, not endurance racing. I can just about live with tyre management, but fuel management should NOT be an issue. Keep the flow limit if you want to pretend that F1 is all "eco-friendy" (if they cared about saving fuel Canada wouldn't be between the Monaco and Austrian Grand Prix, it'd be slotted in before the race in Texas).
Last edited by Fetzie on 07 Jun 2015, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

The irony is that despite being a pathetic race the candidate list for the award is just as long as last year

Romain Grosjean for ruining at least a top 7 on his own accord by crashing into Stevens and having a good old moan afterwards. Well Romain it wouldn't have happened if you just stayed on the line you took to pass him

Alternatively Kimi Raikkonen for providing the most senseless spin I've seen in yonks. Made all the more galling that he was on his own with no one around him and the price he paid for it was a lost podium finish. Mclaren for revisiting Bahrain 2004 by having 2 out of 3 retirements with the worst team on the grid having the 3rd and the superpower team having an easy 1-2

From a personal view the race itself for demonstrating why this sport needs a major revamp and why the new football and biathlon seasons can't come quickly enough for me. This was the worst race I've seen since Abu Dhabi 2013 and I think the worst Canadian Race I've seen ever. At least the 2013 race had Alonso and Hamilton's late battle for 2nd and Giedo Van Der Garde being a numpty.

But I think we've had enough nominations for the race themselves and i'm agreeing with good_ralf and I'm going to pick Daniel Ricciardo. The sight of the Mercs lapping him at half race distance screamed of symbolism and that old phrase "what a difference a year makes". Not to mention he was out qualified and out raced by Kvyat and passed by Carlos Sainz after making a mistake too
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I forgot my honourable mention: Al Pacino's hair!
James1978

Post by James1978 »

For something not yet mentioned - the amount of blue flags/lights being shown to drivers who were battling for position, such as Hulkenberg when he was trying to hold off Vettel coming through the field.

Either that, Grosjean for being a numpty or McLaren for being easily the worst non-Manor team.
"Poor old Warwick takes it from behind all throughout this season". :) (Tony Jardine, 1988)
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Gotta be McLaren. That was beyond pathetic, and Alonso seems to have finally snapped. Wouldn't be surprised if both drivers wished they'd taken up options in the WEC now.

Honourable mentions to Romain Grosjean blowing a load of points with a silly move on Stevens, Ferrari for a generally scruffy race for both cars, and Daniel Ricciardo for a terrible performance as opposed to Kvyat, who somehow dragged his car into the points.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
eagleash

Post by eagleash »

McLaren
DemocalypseNow wrote: when eagleash of all people says you've gone too far about something you just know that's when to apply the brakes and do a U-turn.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Grosjean
#16 Bertrand Gachot, Giovanni Lavaggi, Jean-Denis Deletraz
#17 Andrea Montermini
#33 Paul Belmondo
#34 Bertrand Gachot
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

F1 Rules: Good lord these engine rules are pitiful...
McLaren: Crap.
Grosjean: Can't race other cars. Belongs in a series where the car does all the work for the dri-... nevermind he deserves to be in F1.
Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
tzerof1

Post by tzerof1 »

My vote is going to Grosjean, for obvious reasons. And less obvious reasons, like his need to continue to(metaphorically speaking) shite all over Max Verstappen's lawn throughout the week and race weekend. He really just needs to let the Monaco thing go. Especially after today.

Dishonourable mentions:

Kimi- As one of his biggest fans, even I will say that he was abysmal today. That spin, despite it being caused(according to the BBC) by the hybrid system unexpectedly kicking in, pretty much put the end to the battle at the front of the field, as Kimi was unable to effectively challenge Bottas for the rest of the race, Bottas' car doesn't have the speed to allow him to take the fight to the Mercs, Rosberg wasn't able to fight Hamilton, and Vettel was in a race of his own. Vettel still made it to 5th by the end, showing the car's capabilities well.

Riccardo- Last year's hero, this year's zero.

All the "Alonso probably wish he had..." talk- It's been seven races now, and the media, race commentators, and fans can't shut up about it still. Fernando's a grown man, he knew he was taking a risk, he's said that he's committed, and it's time to stop talking about it now. There are much bigger talking points regarding McLaren-Honda.
"If you don't like it, overtake or f**k off!"- Niki Lauda responding to complaints of his Brabham BT46 'fan car" throwing debris in drivers' faces.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

McLaren are supposed to suck. DRS is supposed to suck. So it's Romain Grosjean for swerving into a Manor, on a straight, and then claiming it was the other guy's fault.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Raikkonen - Simply for the spin straight after his pit stop.
razta

Post by razta »

The race itself.. nothing happened and an honourable mention to the current state of F1 - Fuel saving, tyre saving, brake saving :facepalm:
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Reject reward goes to the race. I stopped watching and decided at 8pm that my bathroom needed cleaning.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Grosjean - "I just drove into him and he hit me!"
McLaren - FFS why bother to fuel save? You might as well let them go at it and make a few headlines because of it.

Dishon. mention to all these bleeding penalties being applied.
Just For One Day...
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

I'd like to pick up on the coasting/fuel/brakes etc. The engines are already bomb proof, at least let them go at it, a mechanical failure might shake things up a bit!
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Spectoremg wrote:I'd like to pick up on the coasting/fuel/brakes etc. The engines are already bomb proof, at least let them go at it, a mechanical failure might shake things up a bit!

So are we thinking that in the same way as we have a minimum weight limit there should be minimum fuel amount of say 120kg at the start of the race , and a maximum of 2kg at the end.....You fail if you have less than 120 kg at the start and more than 2 kg at the end; so you have to go out there and press the loud pedal a lot.

Perhaps we don't need the max amount at the end - the weight penalty of carrying it might be enough.
Some people could bring back 'flaming' turbos in a desperate attempt to burn it off ...

I may not be completely serious on this one....
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

If you ask me, yesterday did show everything that is wrong with current F1. Fuel saving, DRS, ultra-reliability (although McLaren, pretty rejectul by themselves, did pretty well to have a double DNF on that accord) and the fact that it's so hard for mediocre teams to get outstanding results make that most race do not differ from each other anymore. That, by itself, is pretty rejectful about the sport.

There are two drivers that stand out in this competition, with Ricciardo a clear ROTR after a uneventful and poor afternoon whilst Kvyat could fend off RoGro for ninth. RoGro himself did look pretty good for much of the afternoon until that crazy collision with Stevens and the subsequent remarks...

1. Ricciardo
2. Grosjean

DHM's:
-Current F1 rules
-Ultra-reliability
-McLaren
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Romain Grosjean - One of the drivers of the weekend before cutting across on Will Stevens

Dishonourable mentions

Daniel Ricciardo - Hardly noticed him all weekend, and was clearly outperformed by Kvyat. A very weak race by his standards.

McLaren - No explanation necessary

Although it's not worthy of a ROTR nomination, due to being more than a one-off, I do agree with GerhardTalger's opinion on ultra-reliability, as it is my main issue with modern Formula 1.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
GerhardTalger

Post by GerhardTalger »

To be fair I have to agree on that one, I was not clear enough on that subject. Ultrareliability becomes worse when races lack competition and are pretty much in lock order. We didn't have that too much in the early years of ultra-reliability, from 2005-2013 (discounting 2011) we had at least 2 teams competing seriously for the WDC. Last year we hadn't as well, but there were some issues with quite some of the teams most of the races and the midfield wasnt that much locked out. It's basically Merc-Ferrari-Williams, then mosty Lotus and only from there competition starts. With both no way to have a sudden change in that and no competition in average lap speed between most of the teams, races tend to be pretty boring. DRS doesn't make it much better as well, as even low-qualifying drivers lose out maybe one or two places in total. (Massa would have lost sixth if Grosjean didn't have that dumb moment and Vettel lost third because of it, but that's it.)

I should just have named that 'the example of why ultra-reliability can hamper F1's possible excitement'. Or something.
Francis23

Post by Francis23 »

1-Grosjean- Hitting Will Stevens was amateurish, but blaming it on him afterwards was on another level
2-Fuel Saving- Just please, remove the limits, please.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

BBC's coverage gets my nomination for ROTR.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

roblomas52 wrote:BBC's coverage gets my nomination for ROTR.
Ben Edwards is turning into an a$$hole.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Spectoremg wrote:
roblomas52 wrote:BBC's coverage gets my nomination for ROTR.
Ben Edwards is turning into an a$$hole.

Ben Edwards was fine. The real problem is David Coulthard and his endless whinging.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.