The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
leywso

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by leywso »

Went on the Sunday- alas the standing platform we had tickets for around the first chicane section of the lap gave only limited viewing and little racing action. Weren't to know that when buying them though I suppose.

We did cotton on though to standing at the pit entrance during qualifying. At one end there was no fencing in the way and so every ten minutes you got some fantastic opportunities to see the cars close up without obstruction. Yamamoto's crash gave us extra photo possibilities of course as his qualifying group came into the pits twice!

There was a great atmosphere. In a way the fact it was in a park helped as it meant that it could be a family day out as well as something for racing purists. I suppose that's what is meant to appeal about the series- held in city centres so that it's much more accessible.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The King of Comebacks himself might be doing a comeback next year.. for Amlin Aguri! :D

Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Miguel98 wrote:The King of Comebacks himself might be doing a comeback next year.. for Super Aguri! :D

Fixed. Amlin and Aguri have parted ways, you must remember. So naturally Aguri has to rename the team to what it should have been called all along ;)
#FreeGonzo
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

I actually called it in the community podcast ;)
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:I actually called it in the community podcast ;)

Yes you did! About 34 mins 30 secs in...
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Can't deny that one. Now, come on, Jacques Villeneuve, throw your name into the ring!
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Wasn't Ben "The Stig" Collins listed as a driver before the season started? What happened to him?
Just For One Day...
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

CoopsII wrote:Wasn't Ben "The Stig" Collins listed as a driver before the season started? What happened to him?

He's still listed on their "Drivers Club" page here : http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/ben-collins.aspx

I found this, which doesn't mention anything about FE but does say what he's been up to : http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/breakfast-with-ben-collins/

He didn't appear in last year's pre-season testing so I would guess he never even drove the car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Miguel98 wrote:The King of Comebacks himself might be doing a comeback next year.. for Amlin Aguri! :D

I can imagine him still racing 20 years after I die of old age.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Bobby Doorknobs

Next year's calendar has been announced. It's mostly unchanged from last year, with some dates shifted, like Beijing being in October rather than September. Monaco is off the schedule, which we already know, having been replaced by Paris. Miami is also off the calendar. Its replacement has yet to be announced, but it's rumoured to be Mexico City.
#FreeGonzo
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

madmark1974 wrote:He's still listed on their "Drivers Club" page here : http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/ben-collins.aspx

There's a number of drivers who I was surprised didn't get picked up: Albers, Bourdais, Berthon, Carroll, Conway, Clos, Daly, Doornbos, Hildebrand, Klien, Lancaster, Pantano, Quaife-Hobbs, Soucek... got to believe that all of them would have been an improvement on Cerruti at least.
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Simtek wrote:Next year's calendar has been announced. It's mostly unchanged from last year, with some dates shifted, like Beijing being in October rather than September. Monaco is off the schedule, which we already know, having been replaced by Paris. Miami is also off the calendar. Its replacement has yet to be announced, but it's rumoured to be Mexico City.

Miami gone: yay
Licence system: bathplug FIA etc
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
nome66

Post by nome66 »

likely a long-shot, but my fingers are crossed for this layout in Paris.

I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Bobby Doorknobs

nome66 wrote:likely a long-shot, but my fingers are crossed for this layout in Paris.

Or maybe this even less likely circuit:
#FreeGonzo
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Despite my immense hatred of those circuits, I hope they're used - just to prove once and for all how godawful they are.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Please.

kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

*props to Aerond for finding this*

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/villeneuve-eyes-formula-e-campaign-after-venturi-test

So, next year, we can have Trulli/PDLR/JV on the grid. And I'm betting that, if that occurs, PDLR will kick both JV and Trulli's asses. Which, will prove that PDLR>>JV and Trulli.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

tommykl wrote:Please

Alt-F1 did it first. :p
madmark1974

Post by madmark1974 »

Testing for season 2 starts next week, and is free again, same as last year ....

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/july/fans-to-have-free-admission-to-formula-e-pre-season-testing.aspx

Formula E has announced that all six pre-season test days will once again be held at Donington Park with free admission to members of the public.

Beginning on Monday, August 10 at the famous Leicestershire circuit, fans will be able to watch all 10 teams as they prepare for the 2015-2016 season for no charge. What’s more, all spectators upon arrival will receive 50% off adult entry to the Donington Park Museum valid for the day they come.
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

I've already reserved my tickets. if you happen to be going on the same day, I'd be happy to meet up!

I've gone for Monday 24th.
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

I'm just going to come out and say it.

To hell with Villeneuve - I want Venturi to hire Bertrand Gachot and Ukyo Katayama for next season.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Bobby Doorknobs

MorbidelliObese wrote:I'm just going to come out and say it.

To hell with Villeneuve - I want Venturi to hire Bertrand Gachot and Ukyo Katayama for next season.

While they're at it they should use that 1992 livery too. Their 2014-15 livery was ok but you can't go wrong with most of the old Larrousse liveries.
#FreeGonzo
Bobby Doorknobs

It looks like Alguersuari sitting out London wasn't the end of it; he's missing the coming season on health grounds too: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120238
#FreeGonzo
Dom_Wings

Post by Dom_Wings »

Team Aguri... Amlin Andretti... jeez, my head will be soon bursting.

Join the GPR Discord server! https://discord.com/invite/6YDQ3aV
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Urgh. Quick Nick loses his seat to HIM? :facepalm:
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Zergon

Post by Zergon »

Well, that will be interesting to see how Villeneuve does in the series. He should have some name value that could help marketing Formula E with him being former F1 champion and all (even though I personally don´t rate him much higher than Trulli or Heindfeld) so I guess it´s good for Formula E that he signed.

That said, I´m a bit sad that he seems to replace Heidfeld (according to motorsport.com at least) as he was one of my favorites.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

That's a great driving line-up.

Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

If I get to do the pitwalk on the day that I go to see testing, I will be very disappointed that there's no chance to meet Nick, as I'm not that bothered about Jacques really.

The website is frustratingly vague on when to turn up, saying that things like the pitwalk are first come, first served (fair enough) but not telling you WHEN they'll let you enter the track. I know that testing starts at midday, but can we get there for 10? 11? Not very good communication on this one, sadly.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:If I get to do the pitwalk on the day that I go to see testing, I will be very disappointed that there's no chance to meet Nick, as I'm not that bothered about Jacques really.

The website is frustratingly vague on when to turn up, saying that things like the pitwalk are first come, first served (fair enough) but not telling you WHEN they'll let you enter the track. I know that testing starts at midday, but can we get there for 10? 11? Not very good communication on this one, sadly.

When I went last year, they seemed quite chilled and relaxed about it all. Towards the end of one of the days, I was sitting in the grandstand opposite the pits, and a family was asking where I obtained an information pamphlet about FE. I told them I got it at the ticket booth when I showed my ticket. They didn't even know you had to register to attend - they had just walked straight through into the spectator areas after picking their daughter/son up from school... Nobody manning the gate at all, even when I turned up an hour after the start of testing. It was up to you whether you went up to the window or not with your ticket.

ADDITION: Last year, there were two pit walks per day, during the lunch break, and at the end of the day. They were free last year. I gather they are now £5 per person this time?

ADDITION 2: I am now going this Monday, and will decide on future visits as my work schedule each week become apparent. Maybe a early arrival on a Monday could be used to visit the Motor Museum there? If I go on a further day, I intend to do this. Aren't they offering a 50% discount if you are also going to the FE testing?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Whilst I'm pleased JV has joined up as he's a driver than can create headlines I'm sure I read some quotes from him last year describing FE as a nonsense series.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

dr-baker wrote:When I went last year, they seemed quite chilled and relaxed about it all. Towards the end of one of the days, I was sitting in the grandstand opposite the pits, and a family was asking where I obtained an information pamphlet about FE. I told them I got it at the ticket booth when I showed my ticket. They didn't even know you had to register to attend - they had just walked straight through into the spectator areas after picking their daughter/son up from school... Nobody manning the gate at all, even when I turned up an hour after the start of testing. It was up to you whether you went up to the window or not with your ticket.

ADDITION: Last year, there were two pit walks per day, during the lunch break, and at the end of the day. They were free last year. I gather they are now £5 per person this time?

ADDITION 2: I am now going this Monday, and will decide on future visits as my work schedule each week become apparent. Maybe a early arrival on a Monday could be used to visit the Motor Museum there? If I go on a further day, I intend to do this. Aren't they offering a 50% discount if you are also going to the FE testing?

I can imagine it would've been fairly relaxed when no-one knew what the series was about - I suspect it'll be a bit different this year! (though hopefully not too crazy)

Yes, pit walks cost £5 this time and are 'first come first served' but I definitely intend to do it. And you do indeed get 50% off the museum entry price so going there first thing is an option on the Mondays when testing doesn't start until midday.

Do let me know what it's like tomorrow with regard to the crowd size, pit walk availability etc. And obviously do let me know if you're going on the 24th as well, it'd be nice to meet you!
Backmarker

Post by Backmarker »

Over at that there reddit, I made a post on the records that have been set in the last season of Formula E:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FormulaE/comments/3ga52w/after_one_season_of_formula_e_heres_some_of_the/

Also, does anyone else think this smiley: :glasses: looks like Nathan from South Park? Image
The Iceman Waiteth
What if Kimi Räikkönen hadn't got his chance in 2001?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Backmarker wrote:Over at that there reddit, I made a post on the records that have been set in the last season of Formula E:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FormulaE/comments/3ga52w/after_one_season_of_formula_e_heres_some_of_the/

I like that. I love the record for most number of fourth-placed finishes!
MCard LOLA
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

One can say that this is a boring team. :P

But bar that, hopefully we'll see Quick Nick do his job, and finally winning a race!

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The things is, the photographer actually asked Nick to pose in an exciting way, maybe astride the nose cone with devil horns a-waving or standing on the sidepod fist-pumping like a rock star.

But this is what he came up with instead.
Just For One Day...
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Hooray for Nick staying in the series!
Rabbi Gordon

Post by Rabbi Gordon »

My favorite teams up with the only driver I honestly hate.

Seems interesting. Nick remains in the series the very least, let's see how he'll annihilate Villeneuve.
If a particle is traveling at the speed of a Spyker, it is likely to finish last. - Albers Einstein

The Hungarian language is more beautiful than you'd ever think. See, the plural of soul in Hungarian is lelkek.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

So I went to the testing at Donnington today. Although for my sister and me, it was more about getting used to driving a SMART car that we took delivery of a week or two ago (first real time that I have ever driven an auto in more than 14 years and 200,000 miles of driving!). Arrived at midday-ish, left at 4 pm-ish. Got a bit bored as by 4pm, everybody still to be doing installations and it looked like that rain was imminent.

Pit walk was popular with a few hundred all paying a fiver to participate (who did the £1000 go to? Donnington? FE? Charity?). Last year, everybody had their garage doors open, but none of the drivers seemed to have been hanging around. This year, a couple of the teams (eg Trulli) kept their doors shut, but several drivers were signing autographs and posing for photos (including a Swiss driver for Amlin Andretti - yes, you read that right -, plus Piquet and Bird). Half-an-hour for £5? Alright I suppose, but would have liked more doors to be open, even if the teams like Trulli were totally unready for running today. After all, Simona did not end up running today...

The eDAMS and Mahindra (brighter red and more white) cars had more striking liveries, Aguri had no livery at all, Andretti's was near identical to last year's Aguri (thanks to the Amlin sponsorship), Venturi's is near identical to last year's, while Virgin's is not a matt black and dull as dishwater compared to last year's shining example. No idea about Trulli - never saw it all day. Abt's livery is another that is remaining consistent. And I cannot remember/did not see the Team China or Team Dragon cars so cannot pass comment here.

Similar range of merchandise available as at Battersea. I.e. half of the single stand was FE-specific, the other half consisted of merch for about half the teams: Venturi, Virgin, China, Abt. And predominantly tshirts and caps, as one might expect.

Didn't visit the museum today, but definitely intend to do so if I go next week or the week after. A gentleman, whom my sister and I were talking to over lunch, said he had been twice before, and suggested 60 to 90 minutes would be adequate to take it in. So £3.33 to £5 per 1/2 hour - compares favourably to the pitwalk!

Only food facilities trackside that I found today were the circuit's own restaurant and a single burger van next door, by the Melbourne loop. Typical fayre. Again, a fiver for a cheeseburger with onions and sauce. Better to take yer own.
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Thanks for the report dr-baker.

It sounds like the pitwalk will be busy but worth it so I will probably pay my £5. I definitely intend to go to the museum as the last time I went was before digital cameras / decent cameras in phones so I'd like some nice pictures. No surprise on the lack of quality food really!

If you do go on the 24th, I'll see you there maybe!