The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dinizintheoven

Re: The Lucas di Grassi Formula E Thread

Post by dinizintheoven »

I'm quite tempted as well, seeing as Donington Park is only a short(ish) bus ride away...

Also, those of you who listened to the podcast: I called it! (If a little late, having to add the comment in the editing phase...) Jacques Villeneuve will compete and be thrashed! Thrashed, I tell you! Now all we need is Kazuki Nakajima to join him for the full Stefan Grand Prix experience, and as we saw in the first season, some of those seats are even more of a merry-go-round than Napalm Death's first album.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Thanks for the report dr-baker.

It sounds like the pitwalk will be busy but worth it so I will probably pay my £5. I definitely intend to go to the museum as the last time I went was before digital cameras / decent cameras in phones so I'd like some nice pictures. No surprise on the lack of quality food really!

If you do go on the 24th, I'll see you there maybe!

It's looking likely, but will confirm next week. I would like to go to the museum for the first time, so I will probably aim to get there for between 10 and 11 am (probably nearer 11 am if I'm being realistic).
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

Some notable headlines regarding the powertrain race for the upcoming season:

2015 Feb 23 ~ Eight powertrain manufacturers for season two.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/february/eight-manufacturers-to-enter-fia-formula-e-from-second-season.aspx

2015 Mar 26 ~ Dual motors for NextEV TCR.
http://current-e.com/chatter/dual-motors-for-china-racing/

2015 May 26 ~ Schaeffler developing ABT powertrain
http://www.electricautosport.com/2015/05/why-schaeffler-develops-the-powertrain-for-abt-formula-e-team/

2015 Jun 9 ~ Constructors complete crash testing.
http://current-e.com/chatter/constructors-complete-crash-testing/

2015 Jun 25 ~ Team Aguri to retain season one powertrain.
http://current-e.com/chatter/exclusive-aguri-to-retain-s1-powertrain-in-s2/

2015 Jun 27 ~ Citroen joins forces with Virgin Racing.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119713

2015 Jun 29 ~ Renault enters as powertrain manufacturer.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/renault-confirms-manufacturer-entry-for-season-two.aspx

2015 Jul 8 ~ Andretti teams up with Houston Mechatronics.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/08/andretti-formula-e-new-powertrain/

2015 Jul 15 ~ Dragon Racing to run Venturi powertrain.
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/exclusive-dragon-racing-to-run-venturi-powertrain

2015 Jul 17 ~ Trulli falling behind in testing.
http://www.formulaezone.com/?p=3146

2015 Jul 29 ~ Venturi unveils the VM200.
http://current-e.com/chatter/venturi-motor-first-look/

2015 Aug 3 ~ Homologation tests completed.
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/formula-e-season-two-powertrains-approved

2015 Aug 9 ~ Two more teams to re-use Spark?
http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/revealed-two-formula-e-teams-could-revert-to-season-one-package

2015 Aug 11 ~ Mahindra reveals the M2Electro.
http://current-e.com/exclusive-m2electro-powertrain-revealed/

2015 Aug 13 ~ Jack Nicholls on Donington tests, Days 1-2.
http://www.electricautosport.com/2015/08/jack-nicholls-shares-thoughts-on-tests-and-new-powertrain-configurations/
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

Team Aguri - my personal benchmark for technological progress in season 2:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/18/formula-e-season-2-old-vs-new-to-decide-the-champs/
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Snoozey2 wrote:Image

Team Aguri - my personal benchmark for technological progress in season 2:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/18/formula-e-season-2-old-vs-new-to-decide-the-champs/

Team Aguri is YOUR personal benchmark for technological progress? So what's everybody else going to use as their benchmark? :facepalm: :roll:

By the way, that's a great livery. Reminds me of a mock-up of a livery for Stefan GP from a few years ago, I think?

watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

dr-baker wrote:Team Aguri is YOUR personal benchmark for technological progress?
So what's everybody else going to use as their benchmark? :facepalm: :roll:

hey, it's not as easy as it sounds.
simply by committing to the season 1 package, Team Aguri have thrown down the proverbial gauntlet, in that:
1) any advantage gained from the new powertrains is negligible; and
2) the risk of unreliability is too great.

halfway thru Donington, two teams have yet to complete a single lap, while a third team is falling behind.
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

dr-baker wrote:By the way, that's a great livery. Reminds me of a mock-up of a livery for Stefan GP from a few years ago, I think?

Don't encourage him!

...actually, do. Then Formula E could be even more like F1RMGP than it ever was...
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

"IT'S ALIVE!!!"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

"IT'S ALIVE!!!"

But sadly, the Trulli train is still in the siding, unable to build up a head of steam.

MCard LOLA
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

dr-baker wrote:But sadly, the Trulli train is still in the siding, unable to build up a head of steam.

Never mind steam... did they even show up for testing the last couple of days? Very worrying.

Meanwhile, Abt & edams are answering the Aguri challenge.
They've gone from Formula Ford to Formula 3 in three days.
Last edited by Snoozey2 on 19 Aug 2015, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

Quite possibly the single greatest shot in the history of ever:

Never has "boring" looked so cool.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Snoozey2 wrote:Quite possibly the single greatest shot in the history of ever:

I see Heinz (-Harald Frentzen) had also catch up with him. *worst pun in GP Rejects history*
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

This wrote:

I see Heinz (-Harald Frentzen) had also catch up with him. *worst pun in GP Rejects history*

The worst pun would be to say that that is the single greatest Pic ever taken...
MCard LOLA
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

And never mind the Heinz, what about the Horsepower sauce next to it?

Admittedly, it should be a bigger bottle, and two bottles will be needed per portion of chips served, but the authorities are working on it...
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:

The worst pun would be to say that that is the single greatest Pic ever taken...

Whilst having a nice picnick with lots of edams.
sw3ishida

Post by sw3ishida »

This wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
This wrote:I see Heinz (-Harald Frentzen) had also catch up with him. *worst pun in GP Rejects history*

Whilst having a nice picnick with lots of edams.

Sounds like an impressive Venturi if you ask me
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Is this really an Abt place to make such Trulli awful puns? It will only make the thread Dragon without getting anywhere and Franckly it will look Loïc a mess.
#FreeGonzo
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

Sorry for the mahindrance.
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

If i could just hi-Jacques this thread for a while, i like to ask you guys something.

Auto buffs have their petrolheads and noiseheads, but in the EV circle the big question is: "to gear or not to gear?"
When Formula E first fitted a Hewland 5-speed sequential into their racecar last year, quite a few asked why. If you have instant torque, why bother with a gearbox at all? Those who subscribe to the Tesla model will probably share this opinion, but proponents of multi-speed transmissions insist that the latter is still necessary in order to fully maximize performance.

I could be wrong, but i do believe Season 2 will be the first time this debate is put to the test in the heat of competition.
So far, the rumoured battle lines are drawn as follows:

Direct Drive (Single Gear) - DS Virgin, NextEV
Twin-speed - edams (Sadev)
Three-gears - Abt (Schaeffler)
4-speed (sequential) - Mahindra, Venturi, Dragon (Hewland)
5-speed (sequential) - Aguri (Hewland)

Who are you rooting for?
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Go twin-speed! It's like Pole Position!!
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Wherever Soopah Aguri go, I follow, so five-speed all the way :dance:
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Thanks for the report dr-baker.

It sounds like the pitwalk will be busy but worth it so I will probably pay my £5. I definitely intend to go to the museum as the last time I went was before digital cameras / decent cameras in phones so I'd like some nice pictures. No surprise on the lack of quality food really!

If you do go on the 24th, I'll see you there maybe!

It's looking likely, but will confirm next week. I would like to go to the museum for the first time, so I will probably aim to get there for between 10 and 11 am (probably nearer 11 am if I'm being realistic).

I've now got my tickets for next Monday and Tuesday. Fancy going round the museum together before testing begins?
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Possibly, though I don't know exactly when I'll be at the circuit - all being well it should be at around 11.15 but that depends on a train + a bus, so you never know!

By the time I've got my ticket and got in, chances are that the testing may have started. But I do definitely intend to go to the museum at some point - my thought was to go directly after the pitwalk since the afternoon test session is longer.

Do we have private messages on here? Maybe best to take any further discussion there if so!
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Wow, things really have gone off topic Durán the off-season
I like the way Snrub thinks!
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

[Groan] Yeah...
Well, at least Agag is giving Trulli the option of working on it if he's willing to cover traveling expenses (although the former is not too keen on spiraling costs, with good reason).
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Barbazza wrote:Do we have private messages on here? Maybe best to take any further discussion there if so!

Look at the top of your screen, there should now be a notification that I have now sent you a PM! (Not a Prime Minister, I wouldn't want to inflict Dave on you!). You can access the messaging system via a drop-down list in the top-right of the screen (below the search box, above "Last visit was:", where it says "Welcome, [username]".

The first hour (12 noon to 1 pm) is likely just for systems checks, so I will probably go to the museum first, then the pit walk, then watch the main testing session (2 pm to 7 pm) thereafter,
MCard LOLA
mario

Post by mario »

Snoozey2 wrote:If i could just hi-Jacques this thread for a while, i like to ask you guys something.

Auto buffs have their petrolheads and noiseheads, but in the EV circle the big question is: "to gear or not to gear?"
When Formula E first fitted a Hewland 5-speed sequential into their racecar last year, quite a few asked why. If you have instant torque, why bother with a gearbox at all? Those who subscribe to the Tesla model will probably share this opinion, but proponents of multi-speed transmissions insist that the latter is still necessary in order to fully maximize performance.

I could be wrong, but i do believe Season 2 will be the first time this debate is put to the test in the heat of competition.
So far, the rumoured battle lines are drawn as follows:

Direct Drive (Single Gear) - DS Virgin, NextEV
Twin-speed - edams (Sadev)
Three-gears - Abt (Schaeffler)
4-speed (sequential) - Mahindra, Venturi, Dragon (Hewland)
5-speed (sequential) - Aguri (Hewland)

Who are you rooting for?

With regards to an electric motor, my understanding is that, contrary to what is commonly asserted, electric motors do not produce a constant level of torque - because the motor will tend to generate a back emf when turning, the torque reduces as the rotational speed increases (although the motor can be designed such that the power output over the intended operational range is approximately constant).

In the short term, I expect that the question will probably tip in favour of the team that produces the most reliable transmission system (i.e. whether focussing on optimising the performance of existing technology, as Aguri are doing, will pay greater dividends over trying to develop and new and revolutionary system that suffers from short term performance issues).
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

dr-baker wrote:
Barbazza wrote:Do we have private messages on here? Maybe best to take any further discussion there if so!

Look at the top of your screen, there should now be a notification that I have now sent you a PM! (Not a Prime Minister, I wouldn't want to inflict Dave on you!). You can access the messaging system via a drop-down list in the top-right of the screen (below the search box, above "Last visit was:", where it says "Welcome, [username]".

The first hour (12 noon to 1 pm) is likely just for systems checks, so I will probably go to the museum first, then the pit walk, then watch the main testing session (2 pm to 7 pm) thereafter,

There is also the email function to the right, if you are not on a mobile device.

However, the weather forecast for Monday looks awful. Not gonna stop me though!
MCard LOLA
Barbazza

Post by Barbazza »

Just sent you a PM!

I had a feeling when I picked my day at random (well, more or less) that I would get the 'torrential downpours' one. Ah well.....
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

Right, looks like I'm joining in this test session, and all for the mere price of a copy of the Metro. And a bus ride to Donington Park. That won't break the bank.

Now let's see if Jarno Trulli and co can actually make their car move...
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Robin Frijins and Stefano Coletti join in testing for Amlin Andretti and Team Aguri respectively.

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/new ... ing-action
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Waris

Post by Waris »

...aaand no more Trulli train :( Trulli steps down from racing in FE

Understandable really, but still a shame IMO. I was looking forward to him being blindingly fast in qualifying and then slow as a snail in the race, holding everyone up from pole
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Waris wrote:...aaand no more Trulli train :( Trulli steps down from racing in FE

Understandable really, but still a shame IMO. I was looking forward to him being blindingly fast in qualifying and then slow as a snail in the race, holding everyone up from pole

he brought new method to being a rolling chicane. normally, one would need to be lapped.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

Now what can THIS be? Haven't seen this livery around before.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Dinizintheoven today named it a Leyton House...
MCard LOLA
TheFlyingCaterham

Post by TheFlyingCaterham »

dr-baker wrote:

Dinizintheoven today named it a Leyton House...

I believe this (http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014 ... rtner.aspx) should answer some uestions about that :P
Resident Track Designer Addict

2016 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Champion
2017 F1Rejects Track Designing Competition Runner-Up

More of a reader than a poster on these forums, so I won't post much compared to others.
Snoozey2

Post by Snoozey2 »

dr-baker wrote:Dinizintheoven today named it a Leyton House...

Much as i like to believe this paintjob was inspired by the late-eighties March, ill just play it straight and say this is NextEV's new colors.

btw, how did your day go?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

We stuck it out until about ten minutes before the end, sitting there in the rain, with the circuit commentator barely believing there were any of us still there.

We'd been told Trulli might get their car out in the last 20 minutes, but it was not to be. I can only assume they had too many problems with the power steering.

I've noticed a few number shuffles as well - Stéphane Sarrazin is now 4 (Wikipedia hasn't woken up to that yet) and Jean-Éric Vergne is 25 (no surprises there).