What If?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: What If?

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
Whiteshore wrote:the abomination called Pastor Maldonado

Out. Now.

How can the only person to win a GP for Williams in over a decade be considered an abomination?! :evil:
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

He has more GP wins than Nico Hulkenberg, Romain Grosjean, Valtteri Bottas, and Sergio Perez combined.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

I personally have a low opinion on Maldonado and said drivers have better reputations and are more consistent than the Crashtor TBH.
Unafraid of the papaya!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

And I'm sure they would all rather have the GP win.
Everything's great.
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

But over 30 years, Maldonado is the one they're going to remember. Hülkenberg has a Le Mans win though, i seriously want to see Pastor trying to beat that.
I mean seriously, i really want to see that!
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Salamander wrote:He has more GP wins than Nico Hulkenberg, Romain Grosjean, Valtteri Bottas, and Sergio Perez combined.

And Peter Gethin had more GP wins than Chris Amon, Jean Behra, Stefan Johansson and Nick Heidfeld combined. Your point being?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

tommykl wrote:
Salamander wrote:He has more GP wins than Nico Hulkenberg, Romain Grosjean, Valtteri Bottas, and Sergio Perez combined.

And Peter Gethin had more GP wins than Chris Amon, Jean Behra, Stefan Johansson and Nick Heidfeld combined. Your point being?

Point being is that Maldonado can look back on his career in 30 years and go, "yeah, well I won a Formula 1 race". I'd rather have a career like Maldonado over Hulkenberg.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

I'd rather have the career of a driver with more integrity and a stronger reputation (ie. Hulkenberg) than the career of a man who was useless every race except one.

People seem to revert to the "yeah but Maldonado won a race" argument. However, and I did a bit of maths on this the other day in chat to prove a point, that against Bottas and Grosjean (a calibre of driver many suggest are just a step below the real cream of the crop) Maldonado has scored on average 27% of his teammates' points. So, if we can extrapolate, we can perhaps biasedly suggest that Williams would have challenged Mercedes for 5th in the WCC had Senna been dropped for someone not completely hopeless.

On that day in Catalunya in 2012, I believe there must have been a rare sighting of some airborne porcine creatures flying around a blue moon. Maldonado spends most of his time either being distinctly average or being slightly quick but ultimately pissing his speed against the wall. The guy could be good, but the fact that he outright refuses to accept his mistakes and learn from them means that he'll never move forward as a driver. As it stands, Maldonado represents a thirty-million-pound waste of space. If Tracey Emin was asked to make a racing driver for an installation at the Tate Modern, it would be Pastor. Good for one burst of fame and a bit of cash, but otherwise a burden to the owner.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Still, the point remains - sure, Hulkenberg has a solid reputation for being a very solid, quick driver. But he can't say that he went toe-to-toe versus Fernando Alonso at the height of his powers, in a strong car, for a Grand Prix win. The Williams might've had the best of the tyres that weekend, yes, but on paper the only car that should've beaten Alonso in the race was Hamilton's McLaren. The vast majority of the rest of his career is a disappointment, but you know what? So are Hulkenberg's and Grosjean's - to rather lesser degrees, of course - but they've both had opportunities to win Grands Prix, and their fault or not, they have not won one and with each passing race, the chance of them doing so seems to dwindle. That one race was the only chance Pastor Maldonado was ever going to get to win a Grand Prix, and he pulled it off in the face of the best opposition F1 could offer. That, if nothing else, deserves respect.
Everything's great.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

I would rather a win than being remembered as a consistent solid driver. I can sit home and look at my trophy that said '2012 Spanish GP winner: Pastor Maldonado'. I mean Marin Cilic won a Grand Slam I don't think he cares about how he is viewed.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

This wrote:But over 30 years, Maldonado is the one they're going to remember.

Because he won a race?

I'm sorry, but there are many drivers without a win who are better remembered than their contemporaries who won one single race. I'll bring up Chris Amon again, who is better remembered (and usually higher rated) than the likes of Peter Gethin, Ludovico Scarfiotti or Jean-Pierre Beltoise.

Slightly more controversially, I can't be the only one who rates Tom Pryce more highly than Jochen Mass, Vittorio Brambilla and even Gunnar Nilsson.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

I think Maldonado may well be remembered in 30 years time.

Just not necessarily for that win tho' :D
Just For One Day...
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Brawn didn't make it? Would Vettel be a 5-time world champion? What happens to Barrichello and Button? Go to IndyCar? Le Mans?
Unafraid of the papaya!
tBone

Post by tBone »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Brawn didn't make it? Would Vettel be a 5-time world champion? What happens to Barrichello and Button? Go to IndyCar? Le Mans?

I could see one or both of them ending up at Lotus or Virgin, instead of Trulli, Kovalainen or Glock. Toyota might have won some races, Vettel and Webber will have their 2010/2011 battle sooner, possibly with one of them leaving the team.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

CoopsII wrote:I think Maldonado may well be remembered in 30 years time.

Oh he will. Last guy to win at WilliamsF1.

Just sayin'

or F1 Champ 2016 - Renault.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Aguaman wrote:
CoopsII wrote:I think Maldonado may well be remembered in 30 years time.

Oh he will. Last guy to win at WilliamsF1.

Just sayin'.

Do NOT make it so! You cannot be serious!
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

tommykl wrote:
This wrote:But over 30 years, Maldonado is the one they're going to remember.

Because he won a race?

I'm sorry, but there are many drivers without a win who are better remembered than their contemporaries who won one single race. I'll bring up Chris Amon again, who is better remembered (and usually higher rated) than the likes of Peter Gethin, Ludovico Scarfiotti or Jean-Pierre Beltoise.

Slightly more controversially, I can't be the only one who rates Tom Pryce more highly than Jochen Mass, Vittorio Brambilla and even Gunnar Nilsson.

Because your knowledge reaches a lot further than most people. For most People, Amon is just as forgettable as the majority of drivers of his era. Most semi-casual fans (those who look up a bit of history) only read the results.

Also, the fact that Maldonado is one of the most hated drivers of his era, automatically makes him legendary, whilst the general opinion on Hülkenberg is 'no opinion'.
Now on the other hand. Nico Rosberg has won multiple races, and nobody remembers him. :P
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

How can you forget Nico Rosberg? 3 times in a row in Monaco and

I mean come on.

Anyway What if - Stewart and Mika screwed up in the 1999 European GP and didn't score
1 - Jarno Trulli
2 - Ralf Schumacher
3 - Marc Gene
4 - Eddie Irvine
5 - Ricardo Zonta
6 - Olivier Panis
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Aguaman wrote:Anyway What if - Stewart and Mika screwed up in the 1999 European GP and didn't score
1 - Jarno Trulli
2 - Ralf Schumacher
3 - Marc Gene
4 - Eddie Irvine
5 - Ricardo Zonta
6 - Olivier Panis

Luca Badoer could have won such a race.
Everything's great.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Salamander wrote:
Aguaman wrote:Anyway What if - Stewart and Mika screwed up in the 1999 European GP and didn't score
1 - Jarno Trulli
2 - Ralf Schumacher
3 - Marc Gene
4 - Eddie Irvine
5 - Ricardo Zonta
6 - Olivier Panis

Luca Badoer could have won such a race.

More impressive would be... If Olivier Panis's engine had blown up at the 1995 Australian GP and somehow Gianni Morbidelli had spun off as a consequence a couple of laps before Damon crossed the finish line, 4th 5th and 6th would have been Minardi, Forti and Pacific! (Lamy, Diniz and Gachot)

Now how would Simtek have fared in that race had they made it to the end of the season and got one car to the end of the race?
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Aguaman wrote:I would rather a win than being remembered as a consistent solid driver. I can sit home and look at my trophy that said '2012 Spanish GP winner: Pastor Maldonado'. I mean Marin Cilic won a Grand Slam I don't think he cares about how he is viewed.

Agree. I remember Alessandro Nannini, not his crashes, but his win and performances in 1989/90.

I don't recall any of his team mates not called Nelson Piquet.
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Basically, Pastor Maldonado is this generation's Andrea De Cesaris
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Izzyeviel wrote:Basically, Pastor Maldonado is this generation's Andrea De Cesaris

Aside from the win that's a good comparison, quick on his day but crash happy and therefore owing his presence on the grid to the funding he brings.

Long Beach '82 was probably the closest de Cesaris got to Maldonado's 2012 Spanish GP, came out of nowhere to stick it on pole, led for a bit, lost the lead to a then double world champion, ran second for a bit, except where Pastor retook the lead, Andrea binned it again.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

MorbidelliObese wrote:
Long Beach '82 was probably the closest de Cesaris got to Maldonado's 2012 Spanish GP, came out of nowhere to stick it on pole, led for a bit, lost the lead to a then double world champion, ran second for a bit, except where Pastor retook the lead, Andrea binned it again.

Rumor has it that the reason Andrea lost the lead in that race was because he was too busy waving at a backmarker that held him up, which meant he didn't change gear at the ideal time & Lauda got passed as a result. :facepalm:
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Izzyeviel wrote:
Aguaman wrote:I would rather a win than being remembered as a consistent solid driver. I can sit home and look at my trophy that said '2012 Spanish GP winner: Pastor Maldonado'. I mean Marin Cilic won a Grand Slam I don't think he cares about how he is viewed.

Agree. I remember Alessandro Nannini, not his crashes, but his win and performances in 1989/90.

F1 fans can be a bitter bunch. Vettel is going to be happy with his 4x championships, Maldonado will be happy with his 1 win and maybe more. Hulkenberg would rather a win than being viewed as 'solid' driver by fans.
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Ryan Hunter-Reay made it to Formula 1? Would he have been a reject?
Unafraid of the papaya!
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

What if this forum hadn't have been resurrected? Would we all be on F1Fanatic instead? :deletraz:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Rob Dylan wrote:What if this forum hadn't have been resurrected? Would we all be on F1Fanatic instead? :deletraz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2T4cMt6pO8
#FreeGonzo
girry

Post by girry »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Ryan Hunter-Reay made it to Formula 1? Would he have been a reject?

Most likely yes. RHR is quite inconsistent even to IndyCar's standards, and he really started to shine only in his later years, think people would have run out of patience in F1 after a sophomore year at latest, even if he had chosen to go Euro side and become - for example - Red Bull's backed US driver instead of Scott Speed.
when you're dead people start listening
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Ryan Hunter-Reay made it to Formula 1? Would he have been a reject?

Depends which team he ends up in? He if somehow ends up in a car like a McLaren in 2007, then he won't be a reject by the same vein as Andretti.

That being said I have little idea on RHR cause I don't watch IndyCars. For it's F1 or bust.
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Izzyeviel wrote:

Andrea de Cesaris, Adrian Campos, Thierry Boutsen, Johnny Herbert, Emanuele Pirro. And that's without looking them up.

And had de Cesaris won a race, I don't think his reputation as a crash-happy driver would have suddenly disappeared. In fact, it might even be forgotten that he even had won a race. It seems to escape the minds of a lot of people that Andrea scored multiple podiums, and similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Pastor-bashing crowd of today honestly didn't remember Pastor's win.

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

tommykl wrote:and similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Pastor-bashing crowd of today honestly didn't remember Pastor's win.

Those who will remember his win will be Williams fans. I suspect there are few Pastor-bashers amongst the Williams supporters?
MCard LOLA
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

What if Nigel Mansell was paralyzed in that Formula Ford crash?
Unafraid of the papaya!
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

What if in 2006 BMW stayed with Williams and instead someone like Ferrar continued to give Sauber engines.

However

Heidfeld had to drive for Williams-BMW with Rosberg and stay there till 2009 while Webber went to the new Sauber team joining Kubica till 2009. What would happen?
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

Aguaman wrote:What if in 2006 BMW stayed with Williams and instead someone like Ferrar continued to give Sauber engines.

However

Heidfeld had to drive for Williams-BMW with Rosberg and stay there till 2009 while Webber went to the new Sauber team joining Kubica till 2009. What would happen?

We are spared Kazuki Nakajima failing to pass the low bars that his father set

What if Didier Pironi decided to take up Indycars or Sports Cars instead of Speedboats? How would he have fared? Could he win the Indy 500 or 24 Hours of Le Mans respectably? Or would he be a midfielder at best?
Unafraid of the papaya!
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

Whiteshore wrote:
Aguaman wrote:What if in 2006 BMW stayed with Williams and instead someone like Ferrar continued to give Sauber engines.

However

What if Didier Pironi decided to take up Indycars or Sports Cars instead of Speedboats? How would he have fared? Could he win the Indy 500 or 24 Hours of Le Mans respectably? Or would he be a midfielder at best?

Pironi had already won Le Mans in the Renault Alpine A44B alongside Jean-Pierre Jaussaud in 1978.
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Whiteshore

Post by Whiteshore »

roblomas52 wrote:
Whiteshore wrote:

However

Pironi had already won Le Mans in the Renault Alpine A44B alongside Jean-Pierre Jaussaud in 1978.

How would Pironi have fared in Indycars had he taken it up instead of powerboats?
Unafraid of the papaya!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Whiteshore wrote:We are spared Kazuki Nakajima failing to pass the low bars that his father set

Hey, we celebrate guys like him on this website! ;)

Anyway, it's difficult to say how he would have fared on ovals, but I'd like to think he would have done well on road courses, being as good as he was in F1, but who knows?
#FreeGonzo
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Whiteshore wrote:What if Nigel Mansell was paralyzed in that Formula Ford crash?

Derek Warwick, World champion for Williams 1986.
Ricardo Patrese, World Champion for Williams 1992 & 1993.
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Izzyeviel wrote:
Whiteshore wrote:What if Nigel Mansell was paralyzed in that Formula Ford crash?

Derek Warwick, World champion for Williams 1986.
Thierry Boutsen, World Champion for Williams 1992 & 1993.

Fixed.
Everything's great.