Ponderbox

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Salamander

Re: Ponderbox

Post by Salamander »

RAK wrote:
Klon wrote:Alright, decided to go full feminist today, using stats to determine when the first womyn will win a title.

[...]

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the use of the term "womyn" in feminist circles was first used in print in 1976. Lella Lombardi, the only female driver to score anything in Formula One, achieved that goal in 1975. I therefore propose that until the term "womyn" disappears, no female Formula One driver will score any points.

Which I would be fine with because it's just an argument-starting term, like those idiots who have an issue with the word 'history' because it has 'his' in it, neglecting that the root of the word is in goddamn Latin.
Sebastian Vettel wrote:If I was good at losing I wouldn't be in Formula 1.
Everything's great.
I'm not surprised about anything.
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Salamander wrote:
RAK wrote:
Klon wrote:Alright, decided to go full feminist today, using stats to determine when the first womyn will win a title.

[...]

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the use of the term "womyn" in feminist circles was first used in print in 1976. Lella Lombardi, the only female driver to score anything in Formula One, achieved that goal in 1975. I therefore propose that until the term "womyn" disappears, no female Formula One driver will score any points.

Which I would be fine with because it's just an argument-starting term, like those idiots who have an issue with the word 'history' because it has 'his' in it, neglecting that the root of the word is in goddamn Latin.

The etymology of "woman" is actually sexist, but 1) as far as English goes wo- doesn't mean anything, 2) changing one of the vowels won't change that the etymology is still about tacking something onto man, and 3) it just looks really dumb.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Salamander wrote:
RAK wrote:

[...]

Especially when they use the word "herstory". If anything, it should be "hertory", as "history" is not spelled "hisstory". Then again, British womyn who don't vote Conservative might not like the "tory" part so the term "herlabour" should be an alternative. :P
mario

Post by mario »

Meatwad wrote:Especially when they use the word "herstory". If anything, it should be "hertory", as "history" is not spelled "hisstory". Then again, British womyn who don't vote Conservative might not like the "tory" part so the term "herlabour" should be an alternative. :P

Well, you suspect that most figures who voted Conservative would dislike the term "Tory" if they knew the original etymology of the word - tóraidhe, which was the Irish word for a thief or bandit.

On another note, it is interesting to note that Vandoorne is exploring the option of competing in Super Formula as a way of keeping his racing skills sharp in 2016. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vando ... mula-test/

With GP2 and Formula Renault 3.5 having previously been the favoured options for breaking into F1, it has been a long time since a driver has taken the risk of leaving the European racing scene and competing in a top Japanese series instead.

It is, admittedly, a decision that is being made more through a lack of options - being unable to compete in GP2 by virtue of having won the series and with a return to Formula Renault 3.5 being seen as a step backwards - but I expect it will enhance his links with Honda if nothing else. In recent times, the series has been seen more as a place for drivers to go to after leaving F1 - Nakajima, Karthikeyan, Liuzzi and Sato are recent examples - than one where drivers would hope to come from into F1.

With the exception of Lotterer, when did a driver last come directly from the top flight of the Japanese racing scene into F1? I think that the last figure must have been Firman back in 2003.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

mario wrote:With the exception of Lotterer, when did a driver last come directly from the top flight of the Japanese racing scene into F1? I think that the last figure must have been Firman back in 2003.

If I'm not mistaken, that would be the great Yuji Ide in 2006.
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Meatwad wrote:
mario wrote:With the exception of Lotterer, when did a driver last come directly from the top flight of the Japanese racing scene into F1? I think that the last figure must have been Firman back in 2003.

And if you want to talk in terms of a successful graduate, as in one that led to a Formula 1 race winner, I think you'd have to go all the way back to 1996 with Ralf Schumacher.

Check out the skills on young De La Rosa tho :chilton:
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

mario wrote:Well, you suspect that most figures who voted Conservative would dislike the term "Tory" if they knew the original etymology of the word - tóraidhe, which was the Irish word for a thief or bandit.

No, I think they and members of the government would find that description quite apt only in a reverse Robin Hood way - they take from the poor and sustain the rich.
Just For One Day...
UncreativeUsername37

Biscione wrote:And if you want to talk in terms of a successful graduate, as in one that led to a Formula 1 race winner, I think you'd have to go all the way back to 1996 with Ralf Schumacher.

Poor Takuya.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

Biscione wrote:
Meatwad wrote:

And if you want to talk in terms of a successful graduate, as in one that led to a Formula 1 race winner, I think you'd have to go all the way back to 1996 with Ralf Schumacher.

Thanks for the correction - still, it says a lot when you have to go back that far to find the last direct graduate into F1, let alone the last race winning driver.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Interesting to see Kaneishi having a Jean-Pierre Jabouille type season. I remember him being a DTM backmarker in an Autobacs car, fair while ago now.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Rallycross has the Joker Lap system which was tried buy the Argentine TC2000 touring car series at is last race

How long do we give before someone seriously suggests it for F1
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

peteroli34 wrote:Rallycross has the Joker Lap system which was tried buy the Argentine TC2000 touring car series at is last race

Wouldn't be able to work at some tracks anyway. Monaco obviously, would struggle to find anywhere for a shortcut. Melbourne too. Canada is another one. Plus, some shortcuts would bring faster cars back out directly into the path of others, increasing the chances of a crash (final chicane at Silverstone an example)
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
Klon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klon »

AdrianSutil wrote:Wouldn't be able to work at some tracks anyway. Monaco obviously, would struggle to find anywhere for a shortcut.

After the tunnel.

AdrianSutil wrote:Melbourne too.

Better question with Melbourne is where at the end of the second sector could you not shortcut?

AdrianSutil wrote:Canada is another one.

Final chicane.

AdrianSutil wrote:Plus, some shortcuts would bring faster cars back out directly into the path of others, increasing the chances of a crash (final chicane at Silverstone an example)

Well, for that there was a specific line shortcutting cars had to take on the next straight (violating those did cost a driver in that TC2000 race the win), so it could be managed. Not that I am favour of it, but yeah.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

This has probably been pondered already but I haven't noticed it; surely Red Bull are knackered for next season already if they, and their R & D dept, don't know what sort of engine is going to be bolted onto the back of the car next year? I thought such an integral part of the design would need to be incorporated into said design way in advance and yet, with only 18 weeks until the first race of 2016, they don't know what's going on.

A season potentially even worse than this isn't going to help Mateschitz's mood although I'm sure most of us can agree RBR have no-one to blame but themselves.
Just For One Day...
AustralianStig

Post by AustralianStig »

CoopsII wrote:This has probably been pondered already but I haven't noticed it; surely Red Bull are knackered for next season already if they, and their R & D dept, don't know what sort of engine is going to be bolted onto the back of the car next year? I thought such an integral part of the design would need to be incorporated into said design way in advance and yet, with only 18 weeks until the first race of 2016, they don't know what's going on.

A season potentially even worse than this isn't going to help Mateschitz's mood although I'm sure most of us can agree RBR have no-one to blame but themselves.

I see your point (and agree with it), but Brawn managed to win the title despite not having an engine until late in preseason. Latest whispers seem to suggest RB will be working with Renault after all, and presumably the 2016 prototype chassis is built around a Renault design.
Join the GP Rejects league at Fantasy F1: https://fantasy.formula1.com/join/?=2a1f25

CoopsII wrote:
Biscione wrote:To the surprise of no-one, Daniil Kvyat wins ROTR for Sochi, by a record margin that may not be surpassed for some time.

I always knew Marko read this forum.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Klon wrote:
AdrianSutil wrote:Wouldn't be able to work at some tracks anyway. Monaco obviously, would struggle to find anywhere for a shortcut.

After the tunnel.

AdrianSutil wrote:Melbourne too.

Better question with Melbourne is where at the end of the second sector could you not shortcut?

AdrianSutil wrote:Canada is another one.

Final chicane.

AdrianSutil wrote:Plus, some shortcuts would bring faster cars back out directly into the path of others, increasing the chances of a crash (final chicane at Silverstone an example)

Well, for that there was a specific line shortcutting cars had to take on the next straight (violating those did cost a driver in that TC2000 race the win), so it could be managed. Not that I am favour of it, but yeah.

All too dangerous IMO I'm afraid. Cars would be wayyy to close to each other. You need something like the first chicane at Monza as it's a safe exit for both racing lines.
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

The speed differential entering the different sections would be massive as well. Thinking of Monza as an example - cars under heavy braking for the chicane vs. cars at full throttle cutting it out. Both on the same racing line is asking for trouble.
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

AndreaModa wrote:The speed differential entering the different sections would be massive as well. Thinking of Monza as an example - cars under heavy braking for the chicane vs. cars at full throttle cutting it out. Both on the same racing line is asking for trouble.

Thought about that. You'd assume racing drivers have a brain and would only use it when there's nothing infront of them for a few seconds. Or brake accordingly if following someone...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Spectoremg

Post by Spectoremg »

AdrianSutil wrote:
AndreaModa wrote:The speed differential entering the different sections would be massive as well. Thinking of Monza as an example - cars under heavy braking for the chicane vs. cars at full throttle cutting it out. Both on the same racing line is asking for trouble.

Thought about that. You'd assume racing drivers have a brain and would only use it when there's nothing infront of them for a few seconds. Or brake accordingly if following someone...
How about a traffic light system on the track and the steering wheel showing green when the entry and exit is safe?
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

AdrianSutil wrote:

I suspect drivers would use it on the in lap to get a jump on the competitor as the driver leaving the pit lane would probably have to take the chicane
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

peteroli34 wrote:Rallycross has the Joker Lap system which was tried buy the Argentine TC2000 touring car series at is last race

Bernie Suggested this a few years ago.... amongst other daft ideas....
girry

Post by girry »

Technically Sutil should count as coming from the Japanese racing scene, doesn't he? He was a Formula 3 Japan champion in 2006, not to forget he did a couple of Super GT races in the same year.
when you're dead people start listening
Row Man Gross-Gene

Post by Row Man Gross-Gene »

Does Formula one enjoy more respect among non-racing fans than other series? I'll illustrate with a short story that recently happened.

My mother-in-law recently moved in with us. When it was revealed that I liked to watch racing, she quickly said, sarcastically, 'oh, watching cars go in a circle is not my idea of a good time', referring to Nascar. My wife quickly interjected that I watch formula 1 rather than nascar. To which my mother-in-law said, 'oh, where they drive on the streets rather than in a circle? That's better. Is that the one where my little englishman drives (referring to Hamilton)? I saw him on Graham Norton, what a cutie.' I should say that my wife and I are american and we live in America, while my mother-in-law is British. Nevertheless, neither my wife, nor my mother-in-law watches or follows F1, but they give it the time of day so to speak, while they seriously don't care for Nascar or anything else.

So back to the original question, does F1 enjoy more support among non-racing fans than other series'? Are my wife and mother-in-law typical? What has been your experience with it?
It's just unbelievable...that Formula 1 could be such a ridiculous melange of idiots.

-Jamie McGregor

Check out my colo(u)ring pages website: http://sites.google.com/site/carcoloringpages/
UncreativeUsername37

My mother thought F1 raced only on street circuits too. This was before FE, so that couldn't have been a factor. I don't talk to people enough to tell you anything, but I wonder now if the street circuit thing is at all widespread....
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

As someone who lives in Scotland, the two series my non-motorsport-watching friends know about are F1 and Nascar. I guess Nascar does get referenced a lot in American television shows that they watch so I guess it gets exposure that most series don't in that regard. But that's only conjecture: I have no idea how they know so much about Nascar and nothing about any other series.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Last Friday, I was commenting that I would be watching the F1 race to somebody, and her response was to comment how quiet the FE cars were (she caught a bit of the footage the weekend before). So no NASCAR comparison there. And at church, people seem to be most aware of F1 and the BTCC. Not much NASCAR awareness where I am.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Never noticed any Nascar awareness in Italy either: most people probably don't even know a racing series with that name exists, I guess. But that's the case for any racing series apart from Formula One and MotoGP, the latter having at times a much bigger following than the former, which is highlighted by the fact that pretty much everyone down there is still complaining about Rossi, Marquez and Lorenzo...
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Here in the South of England, F1 is commonly thought of. As is MotoGP, WRC and the BTCC. Nascar, Indycar, WTCC doesn't get a sniff...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:Does Formula one enjoy more respect among non-racing fans than other series? I'll illustrate with a short story that recently happened.

My mother-in-law recently moved in with us. When it was revealed that I liked to watch racing, she quickly said, sarcastically, 'oh, watching cars go in a circle is not my idea of a good time', referring to Nascar. My wife quickly interjected that I watch formula 1 rather than nascar. To which my mother-in-law said, 'oh, where they drive on the streets rather than in a circle? That's better. Is that the one where my little englishman drives (referring to Hamilton)? I saw him on Graham Norton, what a cutie.' I should say that my wife and I are american and we live in America, while my mother-in-law is British. Nevertheless, neither my wife, nor my mother-in-law watches or follows F1, but they give it the time of day so to speak, while they seriously don't care for Nascar or anything else.

So back to the original question, does F1 enjoy more support among non-racing fans than other series'? Are my wife and mother-in-law typical? What has been your experience with it?

Yeah because it's the glitz, glamour and the fact that it isn't 'redneck' 'bogan' which does put off a lot of people apparently. Also it doesn't keep on going left. :P

Also I have a question. With sports there are narratives. Which narratives in F1 put you off when watching or reading like e.g. New tracks are ruining the sport, pay drivers are evil, DRS is ruining the sport, Hamilton is the next Senna and so on.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Row Man Gross-Gene wrote:Does Formula one enjoy more respect among non-racing fans than other series? I'll illustrate with a short story that recently happened.

As you would probably expect in Australia, the average member of the public is familiar with V8 Supercars and Bathurst in particular - the top three or four drivers are maybe as well known to the average member of the public as the top couple of footballers in the code they don't follow (eg, if you are an AFL fan you are about as likely to recognise Lowndsey or Frosty as much as a top Rugby League player) - with a big gap back to levels of interest F1, and spikes of interest in F1 whenever the Australian GP was on, Ricciardo or Webber won a race or had something noteworthy happen to them like Multi 21.

While there may now be a vague awareness that Mark Webber is racing and winning something, I doubt that any of my workmates could tell you anything about the WEC, or would have any idea that Will Power won an Indy Car championship last year. As for NASCAR, unless you are into motorsport enough to follow Speedcafe or watch whatever is on FOXSports pay TV, you have probably heard of it NASCAR but dismiss it as 'rednecks driving around in circles' without actually knowing anything about it. Moto GP seems to have a condiderable following, but almost entirely among riders/bike owners as far as I can tell.
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
girry

Post by girry »

F1 and WRC may have lost a significant chunk of their viewership during the last few years in Finland, but despite that Kimi Räikkönen is probably the most recognized face in the country. Everyone, including even the demented ladies in retirement homes, knows quite accurately what the drill is when you say F1 or rallying. You could probably get most people describe NASCAR and MotoGP too (although even fewer watch them), and an average joe would likely at least have some rough idea what DTM, Indy 500 or Le Mans is, too...but that starts to be the glass ceiling when it comes to "common" motor racing knowledge.

Reckon only those who follow sports/motor racing a bit more would know about Formula E yet, even despite its entrance onto free channels now.
when you're dead people start listening
UncreativeUsername37

giraurd wrote:Reckon only those who follow sports/motor racing a bit more would know about Formula E yet, even despite its entrance onto free channels now.

I should point out I didn't mean to imply anyone seems to know that FE exists, just that you never know what knowledge someone will chance across and mix in.
Aguaman

Post by Aguaman »

Aguaman wrote:
Also I have a question. With sports there are narratives. Which narratives in F1 put you off when watching or reading like e.g. New tracks are ruining the sport, pay drivers are evil, DRS is ruining the sport, Hamilton is the next Senna and so on.

Anyone?
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

Aguaman wrote:
Aguaman wrote:

Anyone?

Probably all of the above. But you can add a multitude of themes from faux-inter team battles to people trying to make tyres interesting to it.
Just For One Day...
DemocalypseNow

Post by DemocalypseNow »

Aguaman wrote:
Aguaman wrote:

Anyone?

This sounds like an awkward intro question at an F1 themed speed-dating event.

"If I were an engine, I'd be a Motori Moderni, because I have an explosive personality. If you were an F1 engine, what engine would you be and why?"
Novitopoli wrote:Everytime someone orders at Pizza Hut, an Italian dies.
Novitopoli wrote:Juve's Triplete: Calciopoli, doping & Mafia connections.

Image Image
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

You can't leave an open goal like that...

"I'd be a Life W12 because I always come last"

8-)
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

AndreaModa wrote:You can't leave an open goal like that...

8-)

"I'd be a Life W12 because whenever I try to run 200 metres, I vomit and collapse by the side of the road."
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

AndreaModa wrote:You can't leave an open goal like that...

8-)

"I'd be a Life W12, because I hardly ever run at full steam and fail completely within 10 minutes anyways"
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

"I would be an Al Melling engine because I never run and have never been embedded into somebody else's chassis..."
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

dr-baker wrote:"I would be an Al Melling engine because I never run and have never been embedded into somebody else's chassis..."

I think the Al Melling engine went on about that fact less...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...