Reject Wet Weather Drivers?

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
shinji
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reject Wet Weather Drivers?

Post by shinji »

Nope, he hit him. Despite winning the race. Strange man.
Better than 'Tour in a suit case' Takagi.
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

shinji wrote:Nope, he hit him. Despite winning the race. Strange man.

Apparatently Berger was egging Senna on, saying things like, "are you going to let that cheecky upstart get away with it". Thats why Senna punched Irv after the race. Also Senna was drunk.
Coming January 2019 a new F1 book revisiting 1994.

Pre order it here; www.performancepublishing.co.uk/1994-th ... eason.html

The book's website; www.1994f1.com/
FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

ibsey wrote:

Apparatently Berger was egging Senna on, saying things like, "are you going to let that cheecky upstart get away with it". Thats why Senna punched Irv after the race. Also Senna was drunk.

This is now #1 in my list of Things That Would Never Happen In F1 Now.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

ibsey wrote:

Cheeky twat :lol: . But Senna wasn't drunk when he hit Irvine. I just can't imagine Senna drunk...
CarlosFerreira

Post by CarlosFerreira »

Phoenix wrote:
ibsey wrote:

Cheeky twat :lol: . But Senna wasn't drunk when he hit Irvine. I just can't imagine Senna drunk...

The legend says both him and Berger were. They were having a few drinks after the race. Hydration, see? :lol:
Stay home, Colin Kolles!
rffp

Post by rffp »

Didn't Johnny Herbert punch Irvine too, in the end 1994, after he made some detrimental comments about the Englishman?
A fan of Roberto Pupo Moreno, the one and only, the legend!
ADx_Wales
Location: The Fortress of Sofatude, with a laptop and a penchant for buying now TV day passes for F1 races.

Post by ADx_Wales »

rffp wrote:

Didn't Johnny Herbert punch Irvine too, in the end 1994, after he made some detrimental comments about the Englishman?

Gone are the days when the likes of Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart would produce some witty banter on TV, British F1 drivers just dont do that anymore, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton trying the same thing would equate to banging two planks of wood together, however DC and EJ trading vocal pummellings, via BBC's F1 stuff, is making up for it despite their inactivity in the F1 scene other than being TV people.

I think that despite his abilities (or lack of) Irvine was a target for many a clenched fist during his time as a racing driver.
Last edited by ADx_Wales on 20 Feb 2010, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
"The worst part of my body that hurt in the fire was my balls" Gerhard Berger on Imola 1989
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Very true, just a small selection of other driver's wanting to use Irv's as a punch bag.

Herbert wasn't at all pleased with Irv after Eddie took Johnny out of the 1st corner in Monza 1994.

Alesi wanted to beat him up after their incident in Austria 1997, but couldn't find him.

Finally after playing head games with Villeneueve he stormed over to have a few words with Irv in the sat morning pratice session in Jerez 1997.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

CarlosFerreira wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Cheeky twat :lol: . But Senna wasn't drunk when he hit Irvine. I just can't imagine Senna drunk...

The legend says both him and Berger were. They were having a few drinks after the race. Hydration, see? :lol:

:lol: Still, that doesn't mean Irvine didn't deserve the punch. If you're lapped, that's it. You can only unlap yourself if you're much more faster than the guy who lapped you, and Irvine wasn't.
I'm surprised neither Verstappen or Brundle or Bernard went to him too after this. FIA went on though :lol:
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

Phoenix wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:
Phoenix wrote:Cheeky twat :lol: . But Senna wasn't drunk when he hit Irvine. I just can't imagine Senna drunk...

:lol: Still, that doesn't mean Irvine didn't deserve the punch. If you're lapped, that's it. You can only unlap yourself if you're much more faster than the guy who lapped you, and Irvine wasn't.
I'm surprised neither Verstappen or Brundle or Bernard went to him too after this. FIA went on though :lol:

I agree with Phoenix, Irv deserved the Knuckle sandwich in my book. Irv also shouted afterwards "Insurance Claim There", which I found pretty pathetic as well.

For a man who talks the talk, he fights like an insurance sales man!!!

Sadly I don't think he has grown up too much since then.

FloProAct

Post by FloProAct »

Phoenix wrote:
CarlosFerreira wrote:

I love the commentary......"SCHUMACHER! SCHUMACHER! Oh, it's Verstappen". Sums up the attitude at benetton at that time too...
watka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by watka »

thehemogoblin wrote:
eytl wrote:I think Massa knocked away the "hopeless in the wet" tag in the closing laps of the 2008 Brazilian GP ...

As for Prost, I have to defend him here. Or, more to the point, I'll let James Hunt defend him. Yes, he had his wet-weather moments (warm-up lap for the 1991 San Marino GP anyone), and of course he did his Lauda-esque walk-out from the 1989 Australian GP, but as Hunt once pointed out, Prost didn't mind a slippery track, he was concerned about driving in blinding spray. OK, so he might not win bravery points, but fair enough I guess. The fact that Pironi ended his F1 career on the back of his Renault may well have had something to do with that.

No doubt, Prost was no Senna in the wet, but he was not that bad.

On the other hand, Nico Rosberg didn't exactly cover himself in glory in Malaysia last year ...

If you don't want blinding spray, lead.

Explain to me how anyone could have lead a race in 1989 and not had to lap an Osella/AGS/Eurobrun/Zakspeed/Rial/Onyx.

Edit: /Coloni
Watka - you know, the swimming horses guy
ibsey

Post by ibsey »

watka wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:
eytl wrote:I think Massa knocked away the "hopeless in the wet" tag in the closing laps of the 2008 Brazilian GP ...

As for Prost, I have to defend him here. Or, more to the point, I'll let James Hunt defend him. Yes, he had his wet-weather moments (warm-up lap for the 1991 San Marino GP anyone), and of course he did his Lauda-esque walk-out from the 1989 Australian GP, but as Hunt once pointed out, Prost didn't mind a slippery track, he was concerned about driving in blinding spray. OK, so he might not win bravery points, but fair enough I guess. The fact that Pironi ended his F1 career on the back of his Renault may well have had something to do with that.

No doubt, Prost was no Senna in the wet, but he was not that bad.

On the other hand, Nico Rosberg didn't exactly cover himself in glory in Malaysia last year ...

If you don't want blinding spray, lead.

Explain to me how anyone could have lead a race in 1989 and not had to lap an Osella/AGS/Eurobrun/Zakspeed/Rial/Onyx.

Edit: /Coloni

Easy. Lead at the start...then immediately retire. :lol:

Only pulling your leg watka