RIP Manor Racing (2010-2017)

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Bobby Doorknobs

Re: The Manor Marussia Thread

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

dr-baker wrote:
Biscione wrote:That bloke who won Auto GP is probably due a return to F1 now, a-la Glock and Grosjean. What's his name? Ah, yes, Antônio Pizzonia.

He would be challenging Luca Badoer and Jan Lammers for their record now, wouldn't he? Let's do it!

I'd rather see one of his contemporaries from the 2004 season. You know, the Hungarian bloke ;)
#FreeGonzo
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Simtek wrote:
dr-baker wrote:
Biscione wrote:That bloke who won Auto GP is probably due a return to F1 now, a-la Glock and Grosjean. What's his name? Ah, yes, Antônio Pizzonia.

He would be challenging Luca Badoer and Jan Lammers for their record now, wouldn't he? Let's do it!

I'd rather see one of his contemporaries from the 2004 season. You know, the Hungarian bloke ;)

Some guy whose name I seem unable to say for some reason? Good call.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Manor have managed to sign Nikolas Tombazis as their chief aerodynamicist. With experience at both McLaren and Ferrari, you'd have to say that's a bit of a coup.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

Ataxia wrote:Manor have managed to sign Nikolas Tombazis as their chief aerodynamicist. With experience at both McLaren and Ferrari, you'd have to say that's a bit of a coup.

So that puts them only -2 on special people compared to last season?
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
mario

Post by mario »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:
Ataxia wrote:Manor have managed to sign Nikolas Tombazis as their chief aerodynamicist. With experience at both McLaren and Ferrari, you'd have to say that's a bit of a coup.

It's interesting that the team has, nevertheless, found some fairly heavy hitters in the form of individuals such as Tombazis and Ryan. Now, Tombazis is probably arriving at too late a stage to influence the car, but it will be interesting to see if he can have an impact on some of their later season developments.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

mario wrote:
UgncreativeUsergname wrote:

It's interesting that the team has, nevertheless, found some fairly heavy hitters in the form of individuals such as Tombazis and Ryan. Now, Tombazis is probably arriving at too late a stage to influence the car, but it will be interesting to see if he can have an impact on some of their later season developments.

I'm sure you've seen the news Mario, but Manor confirmed they've passed the crash tests earlier this week on Twitter. Autosport ran the story.

Also, on a different note, no Manor presence at all at Autosport International this year. Disappointed not to see one of their cars on the mock grid which is mostly made up of teams' show cars cobbled together from spares. This year Ferrari got their time machine out to display what appeared to be mostly a 2009 F60! The McLaren was 2015 spec though it seemed, but no Manor, or Sauber either for that matter. Sad times!
I want my MTV...Simtek Ford

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Bobby Doorknobs

Marussia are no more...

That's right, it's Manor from now on!
#FreeGonzo
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Simtek wrote:Marussia are no more...

That's right, it's Manor from now on!

I even like the new logo.
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Interesting that Booth has the Twitter account @realManor and are telling people, "not to be fooled". Another Lotus vs. Lotus situation?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Wallio wrote:Interesting that Booth has the Twitter account @realManor and are telling people, "not to be fooled". Another Lotus vs. Lotus situation?

So not the Virgin Manor then?

(Harking back to five-year-old puns)
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I've seen the @realManor account but aside from the initial tweet when it was set up months ago, there's been nothing on there. Where's this stuff about Booth saying that we shouldn't be fooled? Doesn't seem like him if I'm honest.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
mario

Post by mario »

AndreaModa wrote:I've seen the @realManor account but aside from the initial tweet when it was set up months ago, there's been nothing on there. Where's this stuff about Booth saying that we shouldn't be fooled? Doesn't seem like him if I'm honest.

It does sound a little out of character for him, but I guess that we will have to wait and see what might come of this situation.

Wallio wrote:Interesting that Booth has the Twitter account @realManor and are telling people, "not to be fooled". Another Lotus vs. Lotus situation?

I would hazard a guess that the team submitted their request to change the official constructor entry from Marussia (as the team had a legal agreement to continue using the name in 2015, but not after that, after Marussia Motors was shut down) to Manor prior to Lowdon and Booth falling out with Fitzpatrick. With the FIA having accepted the change in name, the team is probably now in a situation where they have to continue using the same name in order to maintain their eligibility for prize money from FOM.

In that sense, it is reminiscent of the situation Sauber were in back in 2010 - as BMW had lodged their official entry in the name of BMW-Sauber, Sauber had to continue using that name in order for their entry rights and commercial revenue rights to remain valid. Booth is, no doubt, not pleased to see the Manor name stick with the team he just left, but I suspect that they will probably retain the name until the end of 2016 (when they can change again, if necessary, without potentially forfeiting their revenue rights).
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

AndreaModa wrote:I've seen the @realManor account but aside from the initial tweet when it was set up months ago, there's been nothing on there. Where's this stuff about Booth saying that we shouldn't be fooled? Doesn't seem like him if I'm honest.

After rereading the NBC story, the reporter, Tony DiZinno, said that, not Booth himself. Tony tells people not to be fooled into thinking the team is Booth's new project, which has the @realManor tag, and then has a picture of Booth in what appears to be an airplane cockpit.

Still odd nonetheless.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I thought the exact same thing when I first saw that news. I need to get out more.

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I'm still going to say Manor. No point in initials when they take longer to say and don't look as nice as a short word in text.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

UgncreativeUsergname wrote:I'm still going to say Manor. No point in initials when they take longer to say and don't look as nice as a short word in text.

Same here, although in Hispania's case, I always just referred to them as HRT.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

I'll respond in the Rantbox thread.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

Now hopefully the fate of the last team to use a 3-letter name doesn't rub off on them. :|

There is no Senna or Karthikeyan though, so that's already a good start! :D
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Now hopefully the fate of the last team to use a 3-letter name doesn't rub off on them. :|

Well the driver lineups haven't been confirmed yet, sooooo...

Bruno Senna and Narain Karthikeyan confirmed for Manor 2016, you heard it here first :chilton:
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
golic_2004

Post by golic_2004 »

Rob Dylan wrote:
CaptainGetz12 wrote:

Well the driver lineups haven't been confirmed yet, sooooo...

Bruno Senna and Narain Karthikeyan confirmed for Manor 2016, you heard it here first :chilton:

Let the latter do NASCAR again so he can earn enough money to buy a seat like he did with HRT. ... :o Good God, what did I do?
Williams in the last few years http://imgur.com/sNFFMYF
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I believe the whole MRT thing has come about because Bernie prefers new teams without history to use abbreviations. Why? What does this achieve? Why is it even a bloody problem?

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the decision has been motivated by Booth and Lowdon leaving, thus the team isn't really Manor any more, but the decision was taken to use Manor as the name before they left, and now it's too late to change it.

So prepare for the prospect of the team changing its name for a FIFTH time since late 2009!

Manor > Virgin > Marussia > Manor > ?

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

AndreaModa wrote:I believe the whole MRT thing has come about because Bernie prefers new teams without history to use abbreviations. Why? What does this achieve? Why is it even a bloody problem?

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the decision has been motivated by Booth and Lowdon leaving, thus the team isn't really Manor any more, but the decision was taken to use Manor as the name before they left, and now it's too late to change it.

So prepare for the prospect of the team changing its name for a FIFTH time since late 2009!

How about The Team Formerly Known As Manor?
MorbidelliObese

AndreaModa wrote:I believe the whole MRT thing has come about because Bernie prefers new teams without history to use abbreviations. Why? What does this achieve? Why is it even a bloody problem?

Yeah the whole Bernie thing irritated me on two levels, the fact that he prefers it in the first place, and also, the fact that if he paid attention outside of F1, Manor actually have quite a bloody lot of history. Which leads to what you say about Booth and Lowdon, if this is solely because they have left so they need a placeholder name until it changes again, then it's not as bad, especially as they are looking at starting a new venture outside of F1 I've heard (WEC maybe?) and I guess would like to use the Manor name for that.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
tumbano

Post by tumbano »

4 cars (2010 to 2013) are up for sale:

http://www.johnpye.co.uk/quartet-world- ... ioID=13969
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

If that's what he prefers, then maybe we should refer to him from now on as BCE. After all, that's where he belongs: Before the Christian Era...
MCard LOLA
MorbidelliObese

He should force Ferrari to use initials.

After first forcing them to rename themselves "Ferrari Automobile Racing Team".
mario

Post by mario »

Where has that story come from? I've not heard any suggestion that is the case before - furthermore, surely the fact that the team was called both Marussia and Manor beforehand, when in both instances that team had no history in the sport to speak of, would seem to go against that idea.

Out of those arguments, I would agree that the second one is more likely - it is probably the result of a compromise agreement between Booth and Fitzpatrick that enables the team to continue as Manor Racing, and therefore not forfeit their prize money, rather than pressure from Bernie.
AndreaModa

Post by AndreaModa »

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, turns out it was Adam Cooper: http://adamcooperf1.com/2016/01/20/manor-f1-chassis-to-be-called-mrt/

My Motorsport Photos

@DNPQ_
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

[deleted]
Last edited by Meatwad on 21 Apr 2016, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.
Bobby Doorknobs

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122581

Manor have completed another high-profile signing: Pat Fry.
#FreeGonzo
Waris

Post by Waris »

Am I the only one who thinks that literally nobody cares about this MRT chassis name stuff, and everybody is just going to call the cars Manors, same as back in the day with Midland?

Might as well call it the A-Team...
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

I see what you did there.
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

dr-baker wrote:So not the Virgin Manor then?

(Harking back to five-year-old puns)

Puns were best when they weren't pay-per-view yet ;-)
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
Yannick

Post by Yannick »

dr-baker wrote:

If that's what he prefers, then maybe we should refer to him from now on as BCE. After all, that's where he belongs: Before the Christian Era...

Well, BCE's own team used to be called MRD which was always tough for track announcers at the French circuits back in the day ...

Meanwhile, Booth and Lowden have announced running a prototype entry at Le Mans under the Manor banner.
Now that's going to be a team to cheer for!
"I don't think we should be used to finance (the manufacturers') R&D because they will produce that engine anyway" said Monisha Kaltenborn.
"You will never see a Mercedes using a Ferrari engine or the other way round."
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Yannick wrote:Well, BCE's own team used to be called MRD which was always tough for track announcers at the French circuits back in the day ...

Of course. Because "mardi" (Tuesday) would make life difficult for commentators! ;) :D
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

dr-baker wrote:
Yannick wrote:Well, BCE's own team used to be called MRD which was always tough for track announcers at the French circuits back in the day ...

Of course. Because "mardi" (Tuesday) would make life difficult for commentators! ;) :D

I was thinking about another French (and Italian and Spanish aswell) word which contains those very three consonants... :pantano:
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

novitopoli wrote:
dr-baker wrote:

I was thinking about another French (and Italian and Spanish aswell) word which contains those very three consonants... :pantano:

I have lived in Avignon (south of France) for an academic year just over a decade ago. I must have failed to have learnt that word! :facepalm:

Even the use of smilies seems to fail to convey the intended tone of the comment adequately...
MCard LOLA
razta

Post by razta »

Driver announcement will be either on Thursday or Friday.. and yes.. its the Half-Mauritian half-German guy..