GP Tracks we would like to see

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
PayasYouDNPQ

Re: GP Tracks we would like to see

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

I'd love to see a Gibraltar Grand Prix. That would be my home GP. The best location I can think of would be something like this:

Sure, the circuit would be barely 1.5 miles long, but you'd have a half airport/half street circuit, a European micro-state and a Grand Prix that was also a satire by Peter Ustinov about '50s sports car racing. (and Rock Apes)
Teaching Australians about Rock Apes since 2005
Reverie Planetarian

Post by Reverie Planetarian »

Looks like it'd be a fast circuit, although I fear after a couple years it'd start to grow chicanes all over...

F1 could use an airport circuit. I'm not sure if I should count a place like Silverstone because it's technically an airfield and all...hmm...
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.
All we know is...he's called Perry McCarthy!

...we'll never see an S921 at Goodwood, will we?
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Is there more airport to play with? That might be a good way to get the track up to regulation length.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Debaser wrote:America is still the world superpower, and most of the world's big companies are based there.

And if geopolitics determined who gets a Grand Prix, I'm sure America would have had one since the maiden Formula One season.

Debaser wrote:Also America is a massive market for manufacturers and sponsors to advertise their products, hence the need for an American GP or at the very least a Canadian GP.

And that market is currently in deep, deep trouble due to the economic crisis. Car manufacturers are posting massive losses, and major marques like General Motors are in danger of going bankrupt. I'm not saying there's never going to be an American Grand Prix, but that right now it's a very stupid idea. Once USGPE are established - and possibly having some success - the movement for another American Grand Prix will likely pick up strength, but right now the market has other concerns as to whether the country hosts a Grand Prix.

Debaser wrote:I'd love Road America to be an F1 track, its a great track and the only circuit in America which would provide an entertaining race. But the run off at some parts of the track is very small, and I doubt it would be safe. Also its in Wisconsin, one of the quietest American markets. I live in hope though...

Not going to happen. Bernie Ecclestone apparently doesn't believe any of America's racing circuits are in a condition to host a race right now. They'll have to build a new facility - which isn't going to happen right now, again because of the economic situaton - or upgrade an existing one. Sebring and Miller Motorsports Park are probably the two that could be done fo the lowest cost.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I'm going to suggest the Suburbia Grand Prix, in which each driver competes rally-style against a teenage girl in a Honda Civic or Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider.
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Robbie wrote:I'm going to suggest the Suburbia Grand Prix, in which each driver competes rally-style against a teenage girl in a Honda Civic or Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider.
Sergei Zlobin's calling. :lol: That's assuming his car isn't bombed again.
Nissanymania! Friday has never been the same since.

The car in front is a Stefan.
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

thehemogoblin wrote:Is there more airport to play with? That might be a good way to get the track up to regulation length.

Unfortunately there isn't much else. I suppose you could make use of the north dispersal and the rest of the runway. I'll have a little play around.
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Here's an extended version.

The runway is wide enough that I suppose you could race on half of it and turn around at the end. I also did a little extension past Marina Bay.

I should point out that by placing the circuit here (even the short version) I've used both the airport and the road to Spain, so to attend the race you'd have to enter the country by boat.
Reverie Planetarian

Sounds a bit exotic, would certainly attract fans...

...in any case, that lenghtned version looks like it'd be a blast to attack. Keep your foot down on the runway, go screaming towards the hairpin...
Some say he plans to put an S921 on the Goodwood 2012 run, and that he DOES know what Deletraz is doing.

Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Robbie wrote:I'm going to suggest the Suburbia Grand Prix, in which each driver competes rally-style against a teenage girl in a Honda Civic or Mitsubishi Eclipse Spider.

I think the Surburbia Grand Prix should be run against a team of white van drivers.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Ben Gilbert

Post by Ben Gilbert »

Ross Prawn wrote:

I think the Surburbia Grand Prix should be run against a team of white van drivers.

Maybe there could be a mobile chicane in the form of an octogenarian in a Fiesta. There should also be some late teenager in an uglified Corsa.
Cynon wrote:Look further down the field, enjoy the view of the little guys and/or crap drivers in cars too good for them giving their all for a meager result.

Because that's what I thought this forum celebrates the most.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Nah, Chevy Cavalier. It isn't really even a decent car before you add the wingy thingys, after them it sets new records for dumbness....
Max Mosley for ROTY 2009
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

To complete the Surburbia experience the Moto GP should be run on the track at the same times as the F1 gp.
"Other than the car behind and the driver who might get a bit startled with the sudden explosion in front, it really isn't a major safety issue from that point of view,"
Reverie Planetarian

We could have a bunch of student drivers and make it like a BTCC event. Top Gear would have a laugh...

Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

PayasYouDNPQ wrote:Here's an extended version.

The runway is wide enough that I suppose you could race on half of it and turn around at the end. I also did a little extension past Marina Bay.

I should point out that by placing the circuit here (even the short version) I've used both the airport and the road to Spain, so to attend the race you'd have to enter the country by boat.

I know the landing strip extends out over the water, but if the entire concourse is tarmac, surely you could do more with it than have a pair of drag strips linked by a hairpin? I'm thinking some kind of high-speed jink in the circuit that's quick enough to take flat out if you're feeling confident, but very easy to screw up. I also liked that little roundabout section you had arund the oval markings on the first one.
mario wrote:I'm wondering what the hell has been going on in this thread [...] it's turned into a bizarre detour into mythical flying horses and the sort of search engine results that CoopsII is going to have a very hard time explaining ...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

Alright, pardon the double-post, but here's one for you: as the new home of the United States Grand Prix, I propose a Melbourne-style semi-street circuit through Central Park. The start line is on Fifthe Avenue, right outside the Guggenheim. The cars travel north, where a special corner will have to be built to connect Fifth Avenue to East Drive. They continue following this course up around the northen end of Central Park, where there are some nice corners around The Loch. East Drive segus into West drive, and the cars travel back down south to West 90th Street, where they take another high-speed dogleg and emerge onto Central Park West. They keep following this down to West 86th Street and take a hard left onto the West 86th Traverse, running along the southern side of the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir. Anothr left hander will then take them back onto Fifth Avenue. Pit Lane begins at the point where the West 86th Traverve has an offshoot called the West 85th Traverse, and another special corner is made linking it to East Avenue. All in all, it's just under six kilomtres in length. Because of the confusing nature of street names, I'll do a map up; you'll have to forgive the crude nature of it as I only have MS Paint to help me.
As you can see, there's minimal road closures in city itsel, though New York's already-abysmal traffic means it will probably get worse. The red line is Pit Lane.
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Captain Hammer wrote:Image

Captain Hammer wrote:
I know the landing strip extends out over the water, but if the entire concourse is tarmac, surely you could do more with it than have a pair of drag strips linked by a hairpin? I'm thinking some kind of high-speed jink in the circuit that's quick enough to take flat out if you're feeling confident, but very easy to screw up. I also liked that little roundabout section you had arund the oval markings on the first one.

The concourse is not exactly smooth or flat which is why I avoided it, and the North dispersal (just vivible in the picture) is currently being dug up to construct the new air terminal. I'll think about making it more interesting. I don't mind some constructive critisism.

I like your Central Park idea. Having been there last summer I know what a nice setting that would be.
Waris

Post by Waris »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:Sounds a bit exotic, would certainly attract fans...

...in any case, that lenghtned version looks like it'd be a blast to attack. Keep your foot down on the runway, go screaming towards the hairpin...

That would be even better if it would be run in counter-clockwise direction. That huge straight, and then the hairpin... :)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
TomWazzleshaw

Post by TomWazzleshaw »

Waris wrote:That would be even better if it would be run in counter-clockwise direction. That huge straight, and then the hairpin... :)

End result would be what happened at turn 2 at last weekend's Spanish GP... only bigger
Biscione wrote:"Some Turkemenistani gulag repurposed for residential use" is the best way yet I've heard to describe North / East Glasgow.
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

There's a reason why the FIA dictates the speed at which a driver must be able to take the first corner, and that's it. There's also rules against corners like that hairpin appearing; look at what happened at the A1GP race in Beijing which featured the cars going down one side of a dual-carrigeway and coming back on the other: there were so many stalls in the hairpin that connected them in practice that the track had to be shortened and a part of the pit lane used so that the cars could complete the turning circle. No wonder the circuit didn't host another race ...
Cynon

Post by Cynon »

None of the track designs I have seen in this thread compare to this little idea I whipped up...

Behold.

Check out the TM Master Cup Series on Youtube...
...or check out my random retro IndyCar clips.

Dr. Helmut Marko wrote: Finally we have an Australian in the team who can start a race well and challenge Vettel.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

Sure, Super Aguri was Honda's bastard child, but given the patricide, shouldn't Honda be renamed to, say, Kuwashima?

It would be a cool track though, lots of Tilke insirpations in the Super Aguri logo, aren't there?

theshoo

Post by theshoo »

The Vatican..good idea. With The Pope Mobile as Safety Car. Cool.
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Nice work, Cynon.

I doodle F1 tracks when I sit in lecture...
Captain Hammer

Post by Captain Hammer »

theshoo wrote:The Vatican..good idea. With The Pope Mobile as Safety Car. Cool.

It might not be around the Vatican, but plans have been relased showing a proposed circuit in Rome for 2012. It doesn't look like much at the moment, but I think a lot of it will depend upon how wide and how long the circuit is and whether or not there is an extension going down beyond the hairpin.
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

Actuallly, this thread reminds me of a proposed A1 GP calendar that was published at the end of its first season, for the following season:

01/04/2006 - Taking racing to the people wherever they may be is the key to the second series of A1 Grand Prix, starting at the A1 Grand Prix of Nations, Circuit Park Zandvoort, Netherlands at the start of October. And so is breaking new ground as the A1GP circus sets its sights on a series of venues that have never been used for motor racing before.

Many of these new venues will require specific regulations to draw the most from the 550bhp racers. For the Venice street race, crew catering will serve only Cornettos. For the hill climb in Tibet, half the field will start the course from the bottom, the other half from the top. For the night race in Lapland, huskies are to be used in place of scooters for moving items around the paddock. Cars will arrive flatpacked for the Ikea Cup race in Narnia, so extra time will be required for their assembly. Sniffer dogs will be used in place of marshals for the race in Baghdad to find any explosives in the cargo. Should any freight issues arise from the event in the Falklands, the event will be moved to Ascension Island. No one with hairy ears will start the races in Middle Earth until their ears have been plucked. Finally, fireproof overalls will be replaced by water wings for the Bikini Atoll extravaganza.

So, remember, A1 Grand Prix takes you places you've never been before.

A1 GRAND PRIX SERIES TWO DATES

29 September-1 October A1 Grand Prix of Nations, Circuit Park Zandvoort, Netherlands
13-15 October Venice street race (this replaces the round at Laguna Seca)
27-29 October Tibetan hill climb
3-5 November Kabul
24-26 December Lapland (night race)
5-7 January Narnia (for the Ikea Cup)
19-21 January A1 Grand Prix of Nations, USA - to be held in Baghdad (or Teheran)
26-28 January Canvey Island
12-14 February The Latvian round - to be held on the Isle of Dog (innit!)
26-28 February Falkland Islands
23-25 March Middle Earth 'the Ring'
6-8 April Bikini Atoll
20-22 April South Central LA (drive-by penalties will be enforced)

Date of release: April 1, 2006, Shanghai, China
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

Must say that the 'Mordor Ring' would be a really cool name for a circuit.
PayasYouDNPQ

Post by PayasYouDNPQ »

Captain Hammer wrote:There's a reason why the FIA dictates the speed at which a driver must be able to take the first corner, and that's it. There's also rules against corners like that hairpin appearing; look at what happened at the A1GP race in Beijing which featured the cars going down one side of a dual-carrigeway and coming back on the other: there were so many stalls in the hairpin that connected them in practice that the track had to be shortened and a part of the pit lane used so that the cars could complete the turning circle. No wonder the circuit didn't host another race ...

Except a hairpin on a runway would be wide enough to get round easily with different lines. I don't know if you've ever seen a runway but they tend to be very wide. This one is about 35m wide, divide by two and that's a circuit 17.5m wide. You could actually mark out a wide apex on for it and still have a circuit wider than any modern F1 track. It would be faster than the Adelaide hairpin at Magny-Cours, which often acts as a first corner anyway.

I like the Super-Aguriring. Looks like it would be a fast, flowing track that would be fun to drive.
jonnowoody

Post by jonnowoody »

Down under g.p.
This could be the one for Vanuatu. I've been boggled by constant claims that the F1 car is ostensibly an upside-down aircraft wing and that over 70 M.P.H. it would happily travel upside down.

It's got to be time to put this to the test. I'd suggest a high speed track based on the old Hockenheim or summing.

A corkscrew would do for a pit lane and I'd imagine most of the initial on-board footage to be pointing at the driver's terrified expressions.
Oh and can someone call a taxi for Mr.Mosely?
Ross Prawn

Post by Ross Prawn »

jonnowoody wrote: I've been boggled by constant claims that the F1 car is ostensibly an upside-down aircraft wing and that over 70 M.P.H. it would happily travel upside down.

It's got to be time to put this to the test.

Brilliant. :)

Maybe they should run along the tunnel roof at Monaco. :mrgreen: To give them enough speed would need to extend the track down the sea front towards Jimmz nightclub, would need to have another hairpin in front of the nightclub, which would give a straight leading up to the tunnel. Put a little spiral in at the end of this straight and then can enter the tunnel upside down.
sailer 99

Post by sailer 99 »

I thikn they should have a race at the bonivale salt flats at give them unlimited kers. Now that would be interesting.
The best driver is the one who can drive past a first corner crash not be in front of it
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

sailer 99 wrote:I thikn they should have a race at the bonivale salt flats at give them unlimited kers. Now that would be interesting.

But they'd have to load the KERS up with braking... and who's going to slow down in the desert just to speed back up?
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

thehemogoblin wrote:But they'd have to load the KERS up with braking... and who's going to slow down in the desert just to speed back up?

Piquet.

Reverie Planetarian

RejectSteve wrote:
thehemogoblin wrote:But they'd have to load the KERS up with braking... and who's going to slow down in the desert just to speed back up?

Piquet.

Zing!

beau99

Post by beau99 »

Reverie Planetarian wrote:F1 could use an airport circuit. I'm not sure if I should count a place like Silverstone because it's technically an airfield and all...hmm...

I would say Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, Ohio... except the surface is bumpy, very hard on tyres, and the first turn... oh boy.
RejectSteve

Post by RejectSteve »

beau99 wrote:I would say Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, Ohio... except the surface is bumpy, very hard on tyres, and the first turn... oh boy.

That would be great for F1. The complete carnage there in the old Champ Car days plus KERS? At least it is wide enough.

Reverie Planetarian

Yeah. I can just see F1 cars screaming into turn one, going like three or four wide in the world's most expensive chicken race...

Waris

Post by Waris »

Cynon wrote:None of the track designs I have seen in this thread compare to this little idea I whipped up...

Behold.

That is absolutely brilliant!! :lol:
I especially like Matsuura being throwed in there, since he's always a driver I figured could've been considered for Super Aguri. (I even made fantasy 2006 race results with him, before Ide was confirmed!)
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
thehemogoblin

Post by thehemogoblin »

Miller Motorsports Park.

That track looks so awesome, it'd make up for the fact that it's in Utah.
lostpin

Post by lostpin »

Hm, I would be very happy to see the original Monza 10km circuit back in action, the road part which is the nowadays Italian GP and the super fast oval combined together (it was possible in the past, it could be possible today too.). Sure it would be pretty dangerous and we would see quite a lot drivers flying in the woods.. :)

An animator that happens to love racing... :)
http://lostpin.net