The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 2016 Team/Car Launch Thread

Post by novitopoli »

Some pics of the new McLaren challenger have just surfaced online:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/02/20/m ... -revealed/
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

is it just me, or does that car look competitive?
can't wait tocheck out the Haas machine
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

nome66 wrote:is it just me, or does that car look competitive?

Last year's McLaren was a great chassis, just let down by the Honda engine. The chassis base is very good, so with upgrades and hopefully a good Honda on the back, McLaren should be way more competitive than last season.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
roblo97

Post by roblo97 »

novitopoli wrote:Some pics of the new McLaren challenger have just surfaced online:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/02/20/m ... -revealed/

Yes, and they only broke an embargo on the release of the images by about 9 hours :facepalm:
Mexicola wrote:
shinji wrote:
Mexicola wrote: I'd rather listen to a dog lick its balls. Each to their own, I guess.

Does listening to a dog licking its balls get you excited?

That's between me and my internet service provider.

One of those journalist types.
270 Tube stations in 18:42:50!
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

More news:

#FreeGonzo
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

It's a clean design, but my first thought is that the car looks rather basic. Surprised at the lack of Guti's sponsors on the car as well.
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

I can't help to think "Midland is back"
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Maybe if the red up front was replaced with grey, the car would look better. Like this, it just seems.. so out of place.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

So, the rundown until now:

Merc: Darker silver
Ferrari: Usual red with retro white
Williams: Same
Red Bull: Same colour bank
McLaren: Black
Haas: Eugh
Sauber: Same with extra sponsors

Prediction:
Toro Rosso: Same (on 2nd test reveal)
FIndia: Same
Manor: Really don't know

Of course livery won't tell the speed of the car. I'm curious with a ripple on the Haas' nose
tommykl has a stroke
mario

Post by mario »

AxelP800 wrote:Of course livery won't tell the speed of the car. I'm curious with a ripple on the Haas' nose

I would suggest that Haas's chassis, which is most likely based upon the SF-15T, couldn't quite accommodate the preferred front suspension layout and therefore Haas chose to slightly raise that section of bodywork to raise the front suspension mounting points and to accommodate the front anti-roll bar.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Personally, I think the Haas is gorgeous. Clean, elegant...whether it'll be any good on track, we'll find out!

mario wrote:
AxelP800 wrote:Of course livery won't tell the speed of the car. I'm curious with a ripple on the Haas' nose

I would suggest that Haas's chassis, which is most likely based upon the SF-15T, couldn't quite accommodate the preferred front suspension layout and therefore Haas chose to slightly raise that section of bodywork to raise the front suspension mounting points and to accommodate the front anti-roll bar.

On closer inspection the ripple is detachable, so I'd expect it's just a cover for the suspension rockers. However, it could potentially indicate the inclusion of an S-duct at a later date.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

AxelP800 wrote:I can't help to think "Midland is back"

You're not the only one. Reminds me of HRT as well.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Izzyeviel wrote:

The 2011 version "put your logo here".
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
More_Blue_Flags

Post by More_Blue_Flags »

Dj_bereta wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:

The 2011 version "put your logo here".

I saw the Haas on twitter and my first reaction was "Oh, the new Manor looks all right"
CoopsII wrote:Wouldnt it be lovely if just for once someone said "I really want to emulate Boutsen and get a decent, if not spectacular, result with some solid points".
AdrianSutil

Post by AdrianSutil »

Same nice colours coming through this year.

RedBull: Pretty bland, don't know what the thought process was with that one,
McLaren: It's just black, nothing else.
Ferrari: I like it! Reminds me of 1993 and the Scuderia Dallara cars.
Williams: Same with subtly differences. But still one of my favourite liveries.
Haas: Again, I like it. Maybe a little 'boxy' with the colours (see Midland). Shame there isn't a splash of blue because 'Merica...
RIP NAN - 26/12/2014
RIP DAD - 9/2/2015

Currently building a Subaru Impreza to compete in the 2016 MSV Trophy.
PremierInn spokesperson for Great Ormond Street Hospital
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

AdrianSutil wrote:Haas: Again, I like it. Maybe a little 'boxy' with the colours (see Midland). Shame there isn't a splash of blue because 'Merica...

I never thought of that but you're right and now I think it's a bit of a PR own goal not to at least stick a blue line along the side of the cockpit or something.
Just For One Day...
Waris

Post by Waris »

Call me a sourpuss, but I can't say anything other than I'm extremely disappointed with the Haas livery (the car itself is alright I think). On Autosport it says that the livery colours are the same as Haas CNC's corporate colours, which may be the case, but I think it's rather commercially convenient that it's mostly the same colour as the leading Mercedes, with a bit of red thrown in for the Ferrari association.
I was hoping for a yellow car! Oh well. Now I hope (and expect) that the Renault will be yellow. If they just flip the yellow and black from the testing livery, I think they'll be fine.
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

New Manor launched. Finally something bright and beauty to see! The nose looks simple and similar to GP2/11. Some people mentiones 'retro' colour. Any idea what livery is that?

edit:
Wait, blue, red, white, black. I see why Haas has gone eheemmm with their car :lol:
tommykl has a stroke
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Unlike the Haas which doesn't even slightly look like a Midland (that much, I believe, is obvious to anyone blessed with the gift of vision), the Manor livery DOES bear a resemblance to something from F1's past:

Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
WaffleCat

Post by WaffleCat »

That Manor is sexy. I don't care if it's slow. Almost like the 2012 HRT. Don't care if it sucks, it sticks in my mind as sexy.
My friend's USB drive spoiled, spilled tea on her laptop and had a bird poo in her hand.

What did she do in her past life to deserve this?

Signup for the Random Racing League, Season TWO!!!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

The best looking car in my opinion, and that's irrespective of any Rejectful tendencies.
Just For One Day...
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

To be honest, I am quite surprised not to see any of Haryanto's Indonesian sponsors on the car
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:To be honest, I am quite surprised not to see any of Haryanto's Indonesian sponsors on the car

Pertamina appears on the rear wing and on the nose:

RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

Ataxia wrote:
RonDenisDeletraz wrote:To be honest, I am quite surprised not to see any of Haryanto's Indonesian sponsors on the car

Pertamina appears on the rear wing and on the nose:

Ahh, that makes more sense now
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Beautiful car, but this reminds me Hilmer before becoming a "Force India's junior team":

Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

The Manor livery isn't just the best in the grid: it's one of the best in past few years.

MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Agreed on the Manor colour scheme - just goes to show what some basic primary (or even secondary) colours and simple lines can do, the Sauber was my favourite of last year and probably 2nd favourite behind the Manor this.

Probably goes back to my childhood drawing GP2 (the Geoff Crammond game, not the racing series) liveries in first MS Paint and then a very early Paint Shop Pro for my own private season update mods. If I found it hard to draw, I didn't like it.
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

I love the Haase colors. Maybe because I successfully predicted it, or maybe because I'm used to it from Gene's NASCARs but I like it.

The bump in the nose is an "S-Duct" according to NBC. I have no idea what that means though. Otherwise I love the nose and bottom of the rear wing, but the side pods are too fat and the lack of sponsors is alarming. And being beaten by Manor today is pretty poor.

The manor itself is the best looking car no doubt, although a bit plain aero wise. Obviously effective though!
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
Waris

Post by Waris »

I really like the Manor's colours! They also remind me a little bit of this Toleman from 1984 (with two rear wings): Image
MOTOR RACING IS DANGEROUS
tBone

Post by tBone »

By far the best looking car for 2016, if you ask me!

For all the associations with other cars... I thought immediately of one of the fictional cars in GPM2 :)

YOUR
LOGO

Here
Izzyeviel

Post by Izzyeviel »

tBone wrote:By far the best looking car for 2016, if you ask me!

For all the associations with other cars... I thought immediately of one of the fictional cars in GPM2 :)

Where can I get that game?

Anyway, Manor don't have the best livery, that will be Renault. They do have the best overalls though. They've gone for the Steve McQueen look.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

Wallio wrote:The bump in the nose is an "S-Duct" according to NBC. I have no idea what that means though. Otherwise I love the nose and bottom of the rear wing, but the side pods are too fat and the lack of sponsors is alarming. And being beaten by Manor today is pretty poor.

I'll quickly explain (after I say "hah, called it!"); because of the sharp change between the chassis bulkhead and the nosecone that most teams employ in order to maximise airflow directed at the floor, some of the airflow over the top of the car may not change direction, or may begin to stall/unattach.

The S-duct takes some airflow from under the nose and directs it to the top of the bulkhead, as seen from the picture above. In doing so, it helps the flow reattach to the car and mitigates the risk of any stalls. How? Remember the Coanda effect that everyone was talking about in 2012/13? The Coanda effect is behind this, and it's when a "jet" of airflow is able to remain attached around a curved surface. In using this, the airflow is able to remain attached and therefore can be manipulated and directed around the car more easily. I've done a quick sketch to show you how it's done; apologies for the quality, it was 5 minutes in Paint...I'd have hand-drawn it if I had some paper to hand! It's a simplified version that shows the tendency of a fluid flow to stall after moving around a curved surface; S-ducts were brought in around 2012 to lessen the problems attributed to stepped noses.

Another upshot of this is that any developing high pressure under the nose is able to bleed out through the S-duct, improving the front-end downforce characteristics.

That's as simple as I can make it without venturing into boundary layer mechanics and what-not. I hope at least some of it makes sense!
nome66

Post by nome66 »

soooo....
an F-duct, but further back and backwards? or is it using an F-duct principle for something else?

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
nome66

Post by nome66 »

Miguel98 wrote:
nome66 wrote:is it just me, or does that car look competitive?

Last year's McLaren was a great chassis, just let down by the Honda engine. The chassis base is very good, so with upgrades and hopefully a good Honda on the back, McLaren should be way more competitive than last season.

i gotta say, i can see that Honda, as a corporate entity, seem a little reluctant to advertise their models with this team just yet. i've seen maybe one commercial with even a glimpse of the car. probably something to do with an unrepresented level of reliability associated with the F1 engine?
i really do hope something a bit more "big 4 contender" becomes of this re-ignited relationship with Mclaren. they need it badly, since vodafone left a giant, livery-sized hole in their wallet.

tBone

Post by tBone »

Izzyeviel wrote:

Anyway, Manor don't have the best livery, that will be Renault. They do have the best overalls though. They've gone for the Steve McQueen look.

I think you can get it at Abandonia, or similar sites.
YOUR
LOGO

Here
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

nome66 wrote:soooo....
an F-duct, but further back and backwards? or is it using an F-duct principle for something else?

The F-duct was stalling the rear wing to reduce the drag output (and hence increase top speed), whilst this is preventing the airflow from detaching in order to keep it clean and predictable.

I was never sure what the arrangement of the F-duct was, but after a bit of research it's been suggested that McLaren had two slots on the rearside of the top element; when the hole in the cockpit was covered, the slots would fire out the air directed through the shark-fin to force the airflow to detach, creating a stall point just after the leading edge of the wing.

Usually, the airflow under the wing would follow the aerofoil all the way to the trailing edge in order to create the pressure differential required to generate any downforce (high pressure on the top, low pressure on the underside), but in creating the stall-point, you reduce the flow velocity which will create another high pressure zone according to Bernoulli's principle.

With the S-duct, you're trying to prevent that stall from happening, which is why the flow is deposited parallel to the top of the bulkhead.
mario

Post by mario »

Ataxia wrote:
nome66 wrote:soooo....

The F-duct was stalling the rear wing to reduce the drag output (and hence increase top speed), whilst this is preventing the airflow from detaching in order to keep it clean and predictable.

I was never sure what the arrangement of the F-duct was, but after a bit of research it's been suggested that McLaren had two slots on the rearside of the top element; when the hole in the cockpit was covered, the slots would fire out the air directed through the shark-fin to force the airflow to detach, creating a stall point just after the leading edge of the wing.

Usually, the airflow under the wing would follow the aerofoil all the way to the trailing edge in order to create the pressure differential required to generate any downforce (high pressure on the top, low pressure on the underside), but in creating the stall-point, you reduce the flow velocity which will create another high pressure zone according to Bernoulli's principle.

With the S-duct, you're trying to prevent that stall from happening, which is why the flow is deposited parallel to the top of the bulkhead.

I have to say that you have given a pretty excellent summary of the workings of both the "S-duct" and "F-duct".

I guess that we will have to wait and see whether it is the case that Haas have adopted an "S-duct", as currently the photos coming from the track haven't revealed the presence of any openings yet. On the other hand, Haas are probably focussing more on acquiring data for aero benchmarking and validation of their wind tunnel results, as well as resolving the issues with their front wing after the repeated failures today. In those circumstances, the "S-duct" is probably some way down the list as they learn how to optimise the performance of their car.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
nome66

Post by nome66 »

so it IS a reverse F-duct, kinda

i was kind of referencing Mercedes' front wing F-duct design when i said "further back"

Nuppiz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nuppiz »

tBone wrote:
Izzyeviel wrote:

I think you can get it at Abandonia, or similar sites.

Abandonia gives you the base game.

GP Race Games gives you mods (note: all mods are stand-alone so you don't need the original game to run them).
Eurosport broadcast for the 1990 Mexican GP prequalifying:
"The Life, it looked very lifeless yet again... in fact Bruno did one, slow lap"
CaptainGetz12
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CaptainGetz12 »

According to the formula1 subreddit the new Manor reminds them of this:

Potential new sponsorship deal? :D

Source
Klon wrote:What did poor André do to you for him to be insulted like that?