The 2016 Pre-Season Testing Thread

The place for speaking your mind on current goings-on in F1
Ataxia
Not Important

The 2016 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post by Ataxia »

We're approaching lunchtime at Barcelona on the opening day, so I thought I'd start this thread.

Sauber are using their 2015 C34 for this test as they put the finishing touches to their new car, whilst Alfonso Celis Jr will be doing two days in the Force India.

A red flag put a brief pause on the session after Romain Grosjean's front wing came off; Haas will have to work on strengthening that to deal with high loads on a consistent basis. As Autosport said, it's not uncommon; Hamilton had a similar issue two years ago, ending with his car in the wall.
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Rob Dylan

Re: The 2016 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post by Rob Dylan »

Hey, want to see me tempt fate? Here goes!

The McLaren looks somewhat reliable :shock: 58 laps for Button so far, and the session's not over yet. How many laps did they manage in the entire first testing week last year?
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
Felipe Nasr - the least forgettable F1 driver!
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

McLaren did better than I expected.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Looks like Maldonado isn't missing anything. Looks like Renault will repeat what McLaren did in the last year but with Manor much more closer.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
mario

Post by mario »

SuzukiSwift wrote:McLaren did better than I expected.

McLaren do seem to be pleased that the data they're collecting on track ties up well with their models, although it seems Boullier was hoping to cover even more mileage.

Generally, though, I imagine that a number of teams will be reasonably pleased with how testing went today. Most of the teams managed to complete a reasonable number of laps, and the observations from some of Autosport's commentators suggest that Ferrari and McLaren seemed to have pretty stable cars (with Toro Rosso and Haas also getting something of a mention as well).

Over at Mercedes, meanwhile, I imagine that they will be very pleased with the fact that their runs were very consistent and the car was extremely reliable, with Hamilton racking up close to double the amount of miles of his next nearest competitor (Mercedes will, no doubt, be very keen to iron out any possibility of reliability issues if Ferrari have closed up on them - it seems Ferrari may be more competitive, but there have been a few whispers that increased performance has come at the cost of reduced reliability).

All in all, whilst it is really too early to say much more, it sounds as if things have gone fairly smoothly today for most teams - it will be interesting to see what the longer runs from the next few days indicate.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

I like how Haas as it the ground running and doesn't look way off the pace. Manor also seems to have closed in as they are some 2.8 seconds faster than their qualifying times last year! It was bad having the "old" teams some 3 to 4 seconds clear of the "new" teams. Now, if Haas has some success in the back of the midfield that could encourage more people to take the jump. In this day an age, it is hard to get in there alone. Partnerships seem the new way to go. Renault looks to have improved their engine as RBR found for now some 2s between this year and last year qualifying pace and I am sure not all of it was due to the chassis or Tag Heuer branding...
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Here;'s a stupid question. Teams are only allowed to run one car now due to "cost savings". So do they just bring one car and switch out the seats and numbers for each driver, or do they still bring two tubs? If they still bring both, how do they save any money?
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Wallio wrote:Here;'s a stupid question. Teams are only allowed to run one car now due to "cost savings". So do they just bring one car and switch out the seats and numbers for each driver, or do they still bring two tubs? If they still bring both, how do they save any money?

Either they bring both tubs or not, I will say they save on fuel, tyres, parts and, more importantly, in staff and all that comes with it that otherwise would need to be duplicated in order to run two parallel testing programs.
Colin Kolles on F111, 2011 HRT challenger: The car doesn't look too bad; it looks like a modern F1 car.
mario

Post by mario »

DanielPT wrote:
Wallio wrote:Here;'s a stupid question. Teams are only allowed to run one car now due to "cost savings". So do they just bring one car and switch out the seats and numbers for each driver, or do they still bring two tubs? If they still bring both, how do they save any money?

Either they bring both tubs or not, I will say they save on fuel, tyres, parts and, more importantly, in staff and all that comes with it that otherwise would need to be duplicated in order to run two parallel testing programs.

I believe that the teams do tend to bring a spare chassis with them in case one is damaged.

DanielPT is right that the main savings don't come directly from the cars themselves, but from the fact that the teams require less manpower in order to operate.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

And following the pre-season testing...

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-agree-elimination-style-qualifying-for-2016-675278/

Hum.. What?! Like, what sort of drugs are this guys doing? It's an interesting idea, but I feel like that it won't matter much. Everyone will just go on the softs and pray they don't ruin their laps. It's basically 1 lap qualifying system, but multiple times over a session. Or once, since it won't matter much if the running order is always the same. And seeing that 2017 bodywork, power unit supplies and cockpit protection was discussed, we have to wait a bit more to see what sort of other stuff we'll come out.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

I know it's only winter testing, which is rarely an indication of who's competitive and who's not, but it's very encouraging to see Manor and Haas mixing it with the other teams. Here's hoping the pace is genuine, because exciting times are ahead for the two teams if it is.
I like the way Snrub thinks!
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

FullMetalJack wrote:I know it's only winter testing, which is rarely an indication of who's competitive and who's not, but it's very encouraging to see Manor and Haas mixing it with the other teams.

It really is. I mean, just the fact that they're running puts them ahead of some teams in the past.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:
FullMetalJack wrote:I know it's only winter testing, which is rarely an indication of who's competitive and who's not, but it's very encouraging to see Manor and Haas mixing it with the other teams.

It really is. I mean, just the fact that they're running puts them ahead of some teams in the past.

From what I saw thus far, the pace is genuine. I mean, they are mixing with the big guys using the same tyres as them and, from what I could assess thus far, doing decent mileage and no glory runs. It really is encouraging.

Also, between Manor and Haas, I think that the inexperienced Manor line-up might set them back in that particular battle.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

At the end of day 3, Nico Hulkenberg is quickest with Romain Grosjean 2nd in the Haas. Things are looking very good for the new boys on the block.

Haas seemingly doing well is really making me look forward to the new season more and more.
Ataxia
Not Important

Post by Ataxia »

FullMetalJack wrote:At the end of day 3, Nico Hulkenberg is quickest with Romain Grosjean 2nd in the Haas.

I think we can go ahead and end the season here, really...
Mitch Hedberg wrote:I want to be a race car passenger: just a guy who bugs the driver. Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Man, you really like Tide...
Wallio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Wallio »

Glad to see Haas up there but more importantly glad to see them rack up some mileage today. Glad to see FI at the top, although the massive (nearly 3 second) gap makes me wonder if the quick tie wasn't a glory run? Merc's massive lap count, and Honda's(!) too are damn impressive as well.
Professional Historian/Retired Drag Racer/Whiskey Enthusiast

"He makes the move on the outside, and knowing George as we do, he's probably on the radio right now telling the team how great he is." - James Hinchcliffe on George Russell
SuzukiSwift

Post by SuzukiSwift »

Nice to see Haas up there, testing times be damned.
rachel1990

Post by rachel1990 »

Its not looking bad for Manor so far especially since Mclaren and Renault don't look great. Possibly some points available early in the year
(Mclaren might be sandbagging but god knows why).
Benetton of 1992. Never a reject
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

having watch formula 1 for what seams millennia (technicaly correct seeing as I started watching in 1987)I just ignore the times in testing as its... lol slightly meaningless as teams can run light....
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

So far i think
-Haas got their act together, and the more pictures i see of that car, the more i like it. It somewhat reminds me of an early days American fighter jet.
-Force India is showing off a bit too much to know where they really stand. Probably the same level as Williams, who are trying their best to not get noticed. They're probably both decent but not specacular. Both liveries are 'same as last year'
-Mercedes is like a swiss watch. I just hope they crash into each other a few times, to give other people a chance. Their livery is a bit too dark because of the black, but i'm starting to love the combination of silver and cyan.
-Manor is okayish and seems to at least be able to mix it with Renault and McLaren and probably Sauber (altough it remains to be seen how their new car will perform). The livery is nice, but from some angles the car looks like 2 different cars botched together. But from other angles it looks good.
-Renault is in for a difficult year. Perhaps their car is black so people won't notice them and think 'oh it's just a Honda'
-McLaren might be in for another difficult year. And in some photos, the livery has the same colour as the asphalt. Everything about asphalt screams excitement. That is if you'e in a seventies german electronic band.
-Ferrari look to have some good pace, but i'm not convinced yet. The livery is growing on me, though the white part neer the front wheel suspension still looks out of place and the marlborish logo looks clumsy.
-Toro Rosso will probably will get a good start to the season.
-The Red Bull colours hurt my eyes, no matter how much i look at it. So i just hope they crash out the first corner of every race. That shade of Red, combined to the yellow is really giving me migraine. It's like the ING Renault but then ten times worse. (the matte blue looks nice, but if they could just change into a less fluorescent shade of red, please?). Unfortunately, the car is good, and they even said positive things about the engine.
-Sauber exist.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

WeirdKerr wrote:having watch formula 1 for what seams millennia (technicaly correct seeing as I started watching in 1987)I just ignore the times in testing as its... lol slightly meaningless as teams can run light....

Same here. I feel like I should be excited because "F1 is back", but since testing is often deceptive anyway, I can't bring myself to care about the first one of the year....
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
F1000X

Post by F1000X »

Is it just me, or does the Honda engine sound eerily like one of the blown diffuser engines of 2011?
"Sebastian Bourdais- he once was a champ, but now he's a chump." -Will Power
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

Looking at the pics it seems that the matte Red Bull might have been chosen to avoid the effect we get on TV of all these late afternoon/ dusk/night races when the shiny cars all reflect the light and become indistinguishable ..might be a good idea. Would've been better if the blue wasn't so dark, but that wasn't really an option for them.
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

New Toro Rosso.

Same as the old Toro Rosso.
Murray Walker at the 1997 Austrian Grand Prix wrote:The other [Stewart] driver, who nobody's been paying attention to, because he's disappointing, is Jan Magnussen.
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

Rob Dylan wrote:New Toro Rosso.

Same as the old Toro Rosso.

They are targeting podiums. It is ambitious really. Given that they present themselves with last year Ferrari engines and engine development have seen more freedom this year, their best chance would be earlier in the season and have to wait for others to not improve much... Besides being on par with Williams which I suspect is the third team at the moment. It is possible, though.
Dj_bereta

Post by Dj_bereta »

Manor 0.4 faster than Sauber in the last test with the same tyre compound. Too early to say something but this is interesting.
Waiting for Lotus hiring Johnny Cecotto jr.
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

Raikkonen tested the new halo system today, which looked... odd, to say the least.

His first impressions? The visibility was absolutely fantastic.
#FreeGonzo
UncreativeUsername37

Post by UncreativeUsername37 »

I don't think the shape of that particular halo is ugly, for me it's just ugly because it looks randomly bolted on to the car instead of being an integral part. One reason it might look like that is because it was, I guess.

Obviously I can't whinge about the looks too much until something is actually finalised (or at least not quickly put together for a concept test), but as of now I don't really hate it.
Rob Dylan wrote:Mercedes paying homage to the other W12 chassis by breaking down 30 minutes in
Enforcer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Enforcer »

Flo-Vized McLaren:

There's a livery in that.
Rob Dylan

Post by Rob Dylan »

Reminds me of those cars in Trackmania. In a good way :)
Alextrax52

Post by Alextrax52 »

Whistle whistle at that McLaren in Flo Viz

Nice to see Haas doing relatively well. Anyone reckon they can score points this year?
nome66

Post by nome66 »

on an honest note, Haas have it in em to be mid-field this season.
I believe in German BARawnda-Tyrrell-Simca(and it's working)

the only difference between the roman gladiators and racing drivers is that racing drivers sit inside the lion that is trying to kill them.
CoopsII

Post by CoopsII »

That awkward moment when your cars' F1 livery looks better covered in gunk than when it's clean.
Just For One Day...
DanielPT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DanielPT »

CoopsII wrote:[img]image[/img]

That awkward moment when your cars' F1 livery looks better covered in gunk than when it's clean.

To have a great livery and a crap car didn't sound right at McLaren. They get happier when things match perfectly, so they decided to make a crap livery to go perfectly with their crap car.
FullMetalJack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullMetalJack »

Freeze-O-Kimi wrote:Whistle whistle at that McLaren in Flo Viz

Nice to see Haas doing relatively well. Anyone reckon they can score points this year?

Yeah, a good engine along with Grosjean leading the team is a great place to start. I'd be surprised if they didn't. 9th in the WCC seems a realistic goal.
RonDenisDeletraz

Post by RonDenisDeletraz »

CoopsII wrote:Image

Ron Dennis on acid.
aerond wrote:Yes RDD, but we always knew you never had any sort of taste either :P

tommykl wrote:I have a shite car and meme sponsors, but Corrado Fabi will carry me to the promised land with the power of Lionel Richie.
WeirdKerr
Location: on the edge of nowhere with a ludicrous grid penalty.....

Post by WeirdKerr »

:o
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

We got a spot of handbags, between Ricciardo and the Hulk.

Must say, I agree totally with Ricky, though it is strange to see Hulk expressing some personality for once. A nice dickish heel turn from him. :P
Fetzie on Ferrari wrote:How does a driver hurtling around a race track while they're sous-viding in their overalls have a better understanding of the race than a team of strategy engineers in an air-conditioned room?l
Nessafox
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Nessafox »

RonDenisDeletraz wrote:
CoopsII wrote:Image

Ron Dennis on acid.

I guess anything is better than a Ron Dennis who knows what he's doing.
I don't know what i want and i want it now!