Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Quiz!

The place for anything and everything else to do with F1 history, different forms of motorsport, and all other randomness
dr-baker

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia Qui

Post by dr-baker »

He thought that there was a problem with the fuel supply to the engine?
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

he wanted to give the others a head start ? Wanted Denny to win as his team mate?
I started supporting Emmo in 1976 (3 points )....missed 75, 74, 73, 72...
Bobby Doorknobs

Post by Bobby Doorknobs »

The time is up, and by my understanding no one seems to have gotten the right answer. According to a Google translated version of this Emmo accidentally switched off the car, though I think I'll wait for either Mario or one of the Portuguese speaking forum members to confirm before deciding on the next question.
#FreeGonzo
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

You are correct Simtek.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

Ok then.

What innovation did Jack Brabham test on his BT24 at the 1967 Italian Grand Prix?
#FreeGonzo
Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Simtek wrote:Ok then.

What innovation did Jack Brabham test on his BT24 at the 1967 Italian Grand Prix?

Some sort of form of DRS?
Pasta_maldonado wrote:I think normal32 is an old English farmer re-incarnated
MorbidelliObese

Post by MorbidelliObese »

Enclosed cockpit?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Bobby Doorknobs

MorbidelliObese wrote:Enclosed cockpit?

Is the right answer! Here is a photo of the experiment:

#FreeGonzo
MorbidelliObese

:D

To be honest it mainly came to mind as I was recently spending time reading/posting a thread on another forum on the subject of whether closed cockpits are part of F1's "DNA" ...cue pictures of Vanwalls, Auto Unions, (F2)Protoses and that Brabham.

What was controversial about Nelson Piquet's second-placed finish in the 1987 Mexican Grand Prix?
Darling fascist bully boy, give me some more money you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.
Miguel98

Post by Miguel98 »

Wasn't this race that was divided into two heats?

Piquet won the second heat, but he was deemed to finish 2nd because Ol'Nige had a massive lead during the first heat.
Mario on Gutierrez after the Italian Grand Prix wrote:He's no longer just a bit of a tool, he's the entire tool set.

18-07-2015: Forever in our hearts Jules.
25-08-2015: Forever in our hearts Justin.
Bobby Doorknobs

MorbidelliObese wrote::D

To be honest it mainly came to mind as I was recently spending time reading/posting a thread on another forum on the subject of whether closed cockpits are part of F1's "DNA" ...cue pictures of Vanwalls, Auto Unions, (F2)Protoses and that Brabham.

I think we were reading the same thread. TNF, yeah? :P
#FreeGonzo
MorbidelliObese

Miguel98 wrote:Wasn't this race that was divided into two heats?

Piquet won the second heat, but he was deemed to finish 2nd because Ol'Nige had a massive lead during the first heat.

Every word of this is correct, but wasn't the source of the controversy, as the aggregate time rule was fairly well established by this point and would remain until... well I don't know exactly when they scrapped it but it also came into effect in the 1994 Japanese GP, so at least until the end of that year.

EDIT: I looked it up to make sure I wasn't talking rubbish, and yeah the 1982 Detroit race was also on aggregate time, so it had been around for at least 5 years

Simtek wrote:
MorbidelliObese wrote::D

I think we were reading the same thread. TNF, yeah? :P

Actually come to think of it, one on TNF and also a similar one on RC, but basically yeah :P
mario

Post by mario »

Simtek wrote:The time is up, and by my understanding no one seems to have gotten the right answer. According to a Google translated version of this Emmo accidentally switched off the car, though I think I'll wait for either Mario or one of the Portuguese speaking forum members to confirm before deciding on the next question.

Sorry, as I wasn't able to access the forum last night (I kept getting SQL errors), I wasn't able to post the answer. You are indeed correct - Fittipaldi also mentioned this in an article for McLaren's website.

He explained that the high airboxes of the time tended to collect quite a lot of dust which could jam the throttle linkages open. As a precaution, McLaren equipped their cars with an ignition kill switch to shut the engine off, and it was that system which Fittipaldi accidentally triggered in the race.
Martin Brundle, on watching a replay of Grosjean spinning:
"The problem with Grosjean is that he want to take a look back at the corner he's just exited"
MorbidelliObese

Some clues for my question:

1) It was largely down to a loophole in the regs that was closed a few years later. After it was closed, Piquet himself was one of the first to fall foul of it.
2) In a race that took place at some unspecified time in the past relative to the '87 Mexican race, Piquet's teammate at the time took advantage of said loophole to win.
3) The incidents described in 1 and 2 both happened at the same circuit.
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Did he get a push or something but didnt get disqualified for outside assistance
MorbidelliObese

peteroli34 wrote:Did he get a push or something but didnt get disqualified for outside assistance

Correct! During the first part of the race, he spun and was push-started, and would eventually work his way up to second place over the course of the two segments of the race to earn six points that might have been critical in the championship if not for Mansell's injury in Japan that finished things off anyway. He wasn't disqualified as he was deemed to have been in a dangerous position. This loophole was shut off at some point prior to the 1990 Monaco Grand Prix, when Piquet's Benetton was push-started from a precarious position, but was disqualified regardless.

Eight years prior to this at the same track at the same corner, Piquet's Brabham teammate at the time Riccardo Patrese similarly got push-started after his late race spin, that allowed him to come through to win.

Over to you!
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Rio Haryanto is the first Indonesian driver but he is not the first driver from Indonesia to enter F1. Who was?
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Rob Slotemaker.

(I admit checking for the right name, but I remembered there was an Indonesia-born Dutch driver from the early years :D )
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

We'll be fine. It's Canon, non Kodak.
AxelP800

Post by AxelP800 »

Teddy Yip is an Indonesian businessman that co-owned Toleman team
Rio Haryanto for the win!
He upon seeing me accidentaly paint Belgian flag rotated 90 deg to right
tommykl returns from the bathroom
tommykl reads the chat logs
tommykl has a stroke
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

novitopoli wrote:Rob Slotemaker.

(I admit checking for the right name, but I remembered there was an Indonesia-born Dutch driver from the early years :D )

Correct he was born in Batavia the capital of the Dutch East Indies. Which of course is modern day Jakarta teh capital of the Republic of Indonesia
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

And now for something completely different:

What did famous DTM reject Gianni Giudici say which inadvertently made him to a celebrity in Italy? Which Italian F1 reject was there when he said it?
sw3ishida wrote:Jolyon Palmer brought us closer as a couple, for which I am grateful.

Ataxia wrote:
Londoner wrote:Something I've thought about - what happens to our canon should we have a worldwide recession or some other outside event?

Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

No idea what could have been said but the driver he was with a complete guess Gabriele Tarquini
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

novitopoli wrote:And now for something completely different:

What did famous DTM reject Gianni Giudici say which inadvertently made him to a celebrity in Italy? Which Italian F1 reject was there when he said it?

I have no idea what this is, but I really wanted to know...

...so I Googled it, disqualifying myself. All I can say to that is wow.
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

tommykl wrote:...so I Googled it, disqualifying myself. All I can say to that is wow.

Nurse! Get the straitjacket, he's turned into Buzzfeed...
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

So I'll guess he said he had no desire to drive for Ferrari. It had never been a childhood dream..and the reject present was..Bernd Schneider

....looking forward to the answer
Bobby Doorknobs

2 hours left. At least two of you already know the full answer and a few more of you who were in the chatroom yesterday probably at the very least know the driver, so come on guys :P
#FreeGonzo
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Two hours left: I'm willing to give the point to anyone who at least guesses the driver. A hint: he's a reject from the 90's (and, again, he's Italian, which means no Bernd Schneider...)

Ataxia wrote:

dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I'll guess either Giovanni Lavaggi or Vincenzo Sosperi.
watka wrote:I find it amusing that whilst you're one of the more openly Christian guys here, you are still first and foremost associated with an eye for the ladies!
dinizintheoven wrote:GOOD CHRISTIANS do not go to jail. EVERYONE ON FORMULA ONE REJECTS should be in jail.
MCard LOLA
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

dr-baker wrote:I'll guess either Giovanni Lavaggi or Vincenzo Sosperi.

No. He actually contested his last race before either Lavaggi or Sospiri had their debuts.

Ataxia wrote:

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

novitopoli wrote:

No. He actually contested his last race before either Lavaggi or Sospiri had their debuts.

Domenico Schiattarella?
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

Fabrizio Barbazza?
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by novitopoli »

Normal32 wrote:
novitopoli wrote:

Domenico Schiattarella?

You got it! Now just an hour left if someone's willing to try to guess what he said, otherwise this point is yours.

Ataxia wrote:

Normal32

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia

Post by Normal32 »

novitopoli wrote:
You got it! Now just an hour left if someone's willing to try to guess what he said, otherwise this point is yours.

*NSFW*

"un po’ di figa qua?"?
novitopoli
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Grand Prix Rejects 2015-16 Off-season Rolling Trivia

Post by novitopoli »

Normal32 wrote:
novitopoli wrote:

*NSFW*

"un po’ di figa qua?"?

And that's it. While Mimmo Schiattarella was being interviewed, Gianni was caught in the background, asking loudly for the whereabouts of any pretty girls at the event, to say it politely, just to notice right after that the cameras where pointed on him. This was enough to give him some sort of cult status here in Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-8vBHoFUY

Here the video :D

Ataxia wrote:

Normal32

Post by Normal32 »

Alright.

What movie director is connected to a local F1 entry, and what has this director done in Grand Prix racing?
dinizintheoven

Post by dinizintheoven »

For the sake of it: Michael Bay. How else do you explain Heikki Kovalainen and his "PERKELE, CAR IS ON FIRE" episode?
James Allen, on his favourite F1 engine of all time:
"...the Life W12, I can't describe the noise to you, but imagine filling your dustbin with nuts and bolts, and then throwing it down the stairs, it was something akin to that!"
tommykl

Post by tommykl »

Normal32 wrote:Alright.

What movie director is connected to a local F1 entry, and what has this director done in Grand Prix racing?

I'll take a wild stab and guess Roman Polansky. He filmed Jackie Stewart's 1973 Monaco Grand Prix weekend, didn't he?
kevinbotz wrote:Cantonese is a completely nonsensical f*cking alien language masquerading as some grossly bastardised form of Chinese

Gonzo wrote:Wasn't there some sort of communisim in the East part of Germany?
dr-baker

Post by dr-baker »

I am guessing it's something to do with John Frankenheimer with his Grand Prix film of 1966, and having to hand over filming of the German race to Steve McQueen's rival film project?
MCard LOLA
Peteroli34

Post by Peteroli34 »

No idea but possibly that some driver who after they raced in F1 became a film director
yannicksamlad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yannicksamlad »

So this time I shall read the question properly.. and I note that the question refers to someone who IS connected ( present tense) , so they must be alive........
which narrows down my guesses to ; George Lucas, who has sponsored a team in F1 ( guessing the connection as well ) ..Star Wars tie-up...

I was going to guess that Graham Hill world champion connected to Embassy Hill Racing team had directed Terry Phillips in 'The Graham Hill Story'...but that would be past tense..